Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Mazda3

Comments

• Options
    petpadpetpad Member Posts: 153
    Dinu, the tires I got are Nokians Hakkapiilleta 1's. I may have mispelled the Hakkapiilleta name but you can search the web for them, Nokian has it own website. My friend who got a new Volvo XC70 (totally MEAN vehicle!!!) wanted Hakka's but could not get them in the size needed so he got second best Toyo's. He said that Hakka's are the "best winter tires bar none"... so that made me feel good... ONly 3 dealers in Ottawa carry them, including my dealer. I'm sure they are available in Toronto. Size for the GT GFX were 205-55/16's on 16" rims. The 15" rim could not fit over the oversized discs and calipers that come with the GFX package. Cost b/taxes was 976 CND or so. Hakkkkakakakspensive but niiice...
    Pet
  • Options
    audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    I am glad to hear that the wave of cars is heading my way...Your in VA, right?
    When cars come from Japan the east coast is the last ones to get cars.

I have 10 MZ3 that are ready for shipping at the port, leaving any minute....I have found myself watching the driveway for the truck to arrive!! The enthusiasm about this car is contagious.

I drove the 's' for a day last week after the Hartford autoshow and I was very pleased with the car and its abilities.
  • Options
    redkey1redkey1 Member Posts: 270
    Ha, ha.....in reference to the fact that I was a bit long winded!
  • Options
    fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    "If I traded cars every 2-3 years like some of you people, I would be much more forgiving and less anal about this stuff."

So, why don't you? I've had four new cars in the past 6 years. And my current car is a Protegé LX, the best small car I have ever had. The other three were Honda Accords.

I think the nit-picking is due to Mazda claiming the 3 would be up-market, have luxury trim and features. So, folks expected luxury quality materials higher than what Mazda had in mind. If you watch those "makeover" shows on TV, especially home makeovers, you have noticed they simulate luxury homes as close as possible. But they are in no way equal to the real thing.

I like the 3's refinement and upmarket class. The Protegé needed this but wasn't the right car for it styling-wise. The gain is worth a small loss in handling, IMHO. I would never consider any of the other cars you compair the 3 to -- because of the higher service costs.

The Mazda3 should give those who want a very good small car the style and performance and prestige of a more expensive car at a much lower price. When I buy one it will be parked next to a BMW-7, a Volvo S80, and a Lincoln Navigator when my family gets together. And I will be just as proud of my 3 as they are of their big bucks cars. ;)

By the way, the first time I saw the coupe version of the TXS I thought it was a Civic and the first Saab 9-3 I thought was a Mitsu Mirage. More money spent doesn't guarantee what others think when you drive by.

fowler3
  • Options
    bluong1bluong1 Member Posts: 1,927
    Beside Denmark, Turkey, Croatia and in the Czech Republic COTY

http://www.autonet.ca/AutonetStories/Stories.cfm?StoryID=10290
  • Options
    lavaorange3lavaorange3 Member Posts: 128
    My experience has been in keeping an upscale car beyond warranty you run into incredibly expensive repairs. So yeah, I try and trade every few years. Keeps life interesting, and at least I decide where to spend my money, rather than my dealer's repair dept.
  • Options
    creakid1creakid1 Member Posts: 2,032
    redkey1 Dec 2, 2003 3:16pm
    “I think what we need to look at here is people's different perspectives from a financial standpoint when it comes to cars.”

Right on! I keep fun cars forever. That's why I still got several cars. If BMW 3-series or even 1-series offers Mazda3-price repair/maintenance cost, then I’ll buy a Beemer, even w/ the badge removed.
  • Options
    fowler3 Dec 2, 2003 4:31pm
    “…the first time I saw the coupe version of the TXS I thought it was a Civic”

You sure it wasn’t the upcoming Lexus IS coupe?
  • Options
    You like to have something to look forward to. :)

Don't forget Mazda Mania chat tonight.

fowler3
  • Options
    redkey1redkey1 Member Posts: 270
    "If I traded cars every 2-3 years like some of you people, I would be much more forgiving and less anal about this stuff."

So, why don't you? I've had four new cars in the past 6 years. And my current car is a Protegé LX, the best small car I have ever had. The other three were Honda Accords

It is awfully expensive and not that smart financially to trade cars every 2-3 years....
  • Options
    bluong1 Dec 2, 2003 8:47am
    “- the twin balance-shaft showed in the autozine doesn't seem to touch the oil pan. Question is: Does Mazda 2.3L use the same design [I think it is, because Mazda specifically mentions the balance-shaft rotates at twice speed than the crank]? If yes, why creakid think then the balance shaft has significant drag?”

I believe only the bearings touch the oil, but they’re still vibrators, so cost energy. Even though you can’t perceive the net vibration, all that cancellations between the 2 balance shafts themselves are already costing energy in addition to canceling the 4-cyl's vibration. The strength of the engine block is absorbing the energy.

lavaorange3 Dec 2, 2003 12:52pm
    “re: the Nissan 2.5L, that focused on removing your balance shafts in order to gain ~6hp.”

How much is 6 hp worth? See that, pzev? The 2.3 upgrade on the Mazda3 is a bargain!
  • Options
    You sure it wasn’t the upcoming Lexus IS coupe?

I'm sure.

fowler3
  • Options
    GeeeWhizzzEEEeee I wish they would think of names for those cars!!

fowler3
  • Options
    but the TSX doesn't come in a coupe. You meant the RSX? That's a Civic!
  • Options
    redkey1 Dec 2, 2003 5:06pm
    "It is awfully expensive and not that smart financially to trade cars every 2-3 years...."

Exactly, why let the car end up w/ a new owner every year so the government eats all the sales tax?

You want to save $? Continue owning your reliable Japanese car(s)!
  • Options
    lavaorange3lavaorange3 Member Posts: 128
    In the old days, I kept an '83 Prelude for 9 years, and my '85 Supra would have gone that long at least had it not been stolen in year four. Now, doing 22K a year, and graying around the temples, it's more fun to trade. I guess it's a choice, like everything else.
  • Options
    creakid: Even though you can’t perceive the net vibration, all that cancellations between the 2 balance shafts themselves are already costing energy in addition to canceling the 4-cyl's vibration.

Hummm, I must admit I don't understand anymore. The above is contrary to any physics principle and law that I learn so far: if there is no vibration then there is no vibrational energy dissipated, regardless how the forces are applied among the components to each other. Forces can't create/absorbe energy without motion. I did a little research on the web, and there are people who think the hp loss is due to the frictional force of the system (chain, bearing, ...). Though 6-7hp seem a lot to me.

Another question: Is the same chain used for the overhead cam shaft and for the balance shafts?

Dyno of an engine with & w/o balance-shafts:

• Options
    newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    the Mazda3 hatchback is a "sports coupe"? Maybe in Canada, I guess...
  • Options
    audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    Do you know who owns the patent on balance shafts and do they charge other carmakers to use them???

I had heard something about this but never looked into it.
  • Options
    Mitsubishi, they get the patent in 1976 even the balance shaft was invented in as early as 1900s. I don't think they can charge anymore, all patents expire after 20 years (?).
  • Options
    the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    maybe i should move to canada ;-)
  • Options
    groovypippingroovypippin Member Posts: 264
    You Norwegians are so picky about details! Hey, the car is so wonderful it mus defy categorization. (By the way, a complete guess on your flag - how close was I?)
  • Options
    shroudshroud Member Posts: 78
    I just found out that I get 90 days no payments on my Mazda 3, a free Xbox, 3 free games and 2 months of Xbox Live for it!

I bought the car before knowing about the promo, so this is icing on the cake!
  • Options
    bluong1 Dec 2, 2003 5:31pm
    “‘creakid: Even though you can’t perceive the net vibration, all that cancellations between the 2 balance shafts themselves are already costing energy in addition to canceling the 4-cyl's vibration.’

Hummm, I must admit I don't understand anymore. The above is contrary to any physics principle and law that I learn so far: if there is no vibration then there is no vibrational energy dissipated, regardless how the forces are applied among the components to each other.”

It's as simple as having tug-of-war when people of both opposite sides w/ equal strength exert so much energy pulling that strong rope apart even w/o pulling it apart. If one side exerts enough energy to move the rope 1 foot, then it takes equal energy from the other team to keep the rope from moving, & that's twice the energy!

Also, the balance shafts keep the engine stationary as vibration-free as a gyroscope. Since, I assume, the vibration of a non-b.s. 4-cyl's engine block is mainly going the opposite directions of the heavy pistons to compensate for the momentum, a vibrating 4-cyl engine allows the pumping pistons to travel just slightly less(from the absolute location point of view) to further save energy.
  • Options
    combustible1combustible1 Member Posts: 264
    Because of the taxes and depreciation involved, I know that it's fiscal suicide to spend big junks of money every 2-3 years. Unless you are getting an upscale car that's considered not very reliable, even outside of the warranty period I really doubt you'll spend half as much on repairs as you would on that loss of equity & taxes.

Of course, if you make the big bucks or you are fiscally conservative elsewhere in your life, I'm sure one could justify it, especially if you reeeally love cars.

I like cars.
    I like money more.
  • Options
    newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    Yep, it's Norway. I live in Minnesota though.
  • Options
    pzevpzev Member Posts: 807
    "It is however, both in terms of design and execution head and shoulders over anything else in its own class, with the exception of the Jetta. Even the Jetta, however, tops out at thousands and thousands of dollars more than the M3."

I don't know about the interior, but if this spy picture is any indication of what the new Jetta will look like then the Mazda3 sedan should look more stylish and upscale.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid67/p5bd29cca08991adad8cc- cf6ddf6e1234/fbd4ad85.jpg

The interior may even suffer a bit since the new Golf's interior is supposedly a slight step down from the previous, but in return it gets a better suspension and stuff I believe.
  • Options
    In a recent survey of 38,000 members of the ADAC, Germany's largest automotive club, VW came in #31 out of 33 brands in customer satisfaction. And this is Germany! Mercedes came in #32 and Land Rover #33. To make matters worse for MB, take out the service part of the satisfaction survey and Mercedes comes in last.

1) Toyota
    2) Subaru
    3) Honda
    4) Mazda
    5) Nissan
    6) Mitsubishi
    7) Suzuki
    8) Porsche
    9) Saab
    10) Hyundai
    11) BMW
  • Options
    "How much is 6 hp worth? See that, pzev? The 2.3 upgrade on the Mazda3 is a bargain!"

I gotta have that beige interior though! The black dash with beige seats is the best looking interior combo any car can have in most cases in my opinion.

I've always wanted a car with that kind of interior and Mazda is giving me one at a decent price with hopefully good quality to go with it. I just can't see myself walking away from that. I also like the red taillights and mesh grille better as well.
  • Options
    waydewayde Member Posts: 198
    Did your dealer tell you about this deal (no payments for 90days, free xbox, etc)?
    Is it on the Mazda site anywhere?
    Anyone know if this will be or is available in the US?
  • Options
    shroudshroud Member Posts: 78
    I had not heard of it, but another dealer emailed me about it (didnt mention to them I had bought the car). So I called the dealer I purchased from, and they confirmed the promotion! Very cool! Nice little Christmas surprise :)
  • Options
    pzev Dec 2, 2003 8:31pm

What's that? Looks like the old Prius hybrid, & the tail-light area looks like the late '90's Altima.
  • Options
    Yes, it looks eerily similar to the old Prius. I'm skeptical that this picture is accurate, considering the car has no camouflage on it to keep people guessing on its looks. I'll try to track down some more pics to see if this design is what people are saying what it will look like.

Here's one for the Scion tC coupe for anyone interested. It will be in Detroit next month and should be using the 2.4 engine the Camry uses.

http://t.wieck.com/PV/2003/12/01/TYT2003120133345_PV.jpg
  • Options
    wongpreswongpres Member Posts: 422
    Remember that AJAC Canadian test fest in from Oct 29-Nov 2. Mazda had 4 cars in the 4 categories and WON all 4!

- Mazda3 sedan Best New Economy Car
    - Mazda3 Sport (hatch) Best New Sports Coupe or Sedan < $35,000
    - Mazda6 Best New Family Vehicle
    - RX-8 Best New Sports/Performance Vehicle

The overall car of the year will be announced later but the odds have got to be for a Mazda. From what I've seen, odds on favourite is the Mazda3.

Mazda Canadian sales are going to take off.
  • Options
    Also for anyone interested, Ford media reports the 2005 Ford Focus will be revealed on Thursday and an "important announcement" about future production at the Wayne Assembly Plant will be made.

This is the NA Focus and not sure if the looks will have anything to do with the next Focus in Europe. With the improvements they've made on the car in the past couple of years this might be sort of interesting, who knows. Hopefully it'll be more than just a reskin. A different overall shape would be nice.
  • Options
    gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    And the source. I can't understand why we got that link above. The Golf/Jetta is gonna look sweet.

creakid1 "2006 Volkswagen Jetta" Sep 12, 2003 2:46am

Tail-lights look kinda 3ish.
  • Options
    chrisboltchrisbolt Member Posts: 10
    What does "CAR" stand for?
  • Options
    johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    CAR doesn't stand for anything. It's the name of the British automobile magazine. Not being cute, but the "CAR" is that three letter word used as a synonym for automobile!

Or perhaps your question is a different one. CAR stands, first and foremost, from my experience, for British makes (now makes with a British connection or history), then European, then American, then Japanese. That makes the Mazda3 vs. Golf comparison even more stunning, given its source.
  • Options
    dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    $1000+ for winter tires? I heard they were good too, but this seems too much. I can swing 15" wheels over the brakes of the GS, so hopefully the price drop would be significant.

Dinu
  • Options
    Preston, thanks for letting me know about it.

Here's more info: http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/031203-1.htm

Dinu
  • Options
    petpadpetpad Member Posts: 153
    Dinu, that includes the rims... 16" are more expensive too, so as you said, if you can fit 15's, you'll drop in price.

I got nailed last night by the Edmunds Board Police for words that were against Board policy!!! Ha Ha Ha Ha...
  • Options
    Silver GS Sedan w/Power+Sport Packages SportAT (no MTs available yet). Grey/Black Interior. It was a solo test drive - well almost (no Mazda rep, just my friend and I).

Exterior Styling: Like it (a lot!). The car had 16" alloys. I want the red, but can't stand the beige interior. Would look better with the black tail lights. Looks European from the rear not great, not bad (think Sentra) either.

Seating Position: The tilt+telescoping steering wheel works well with the seat adjustment to create a good driving position. I do wish however to be able to incline the seat at an angle as you can do in the PRO - it's a wish rather than a problem with the car. The driving position is good, but is geared towards comfort rather than a sporty stance.

Seats: The seats are great! Besides their ability to adjust properly without fuss, they have a deeper bucket than the PRO and are more supportive IMO. They are firm, but not harsh - should be great for long drives where proper posture is important to keep you awake and without sore muscles on your arrival. The material was also good and while I can live with the grey/black pattern and be happy with it, I really can't get myself to like the beige - and I want red one.

Controls: Easy to reach. The steering-wheel mounted radio controls were great. The MUTE button was VERY helpful when I wanted to hear the engine right away and shut the radio off. Everything (radio, HVAC, cupholders, armrest bin) is within an easy reach.

Sound System: The radio is OK for me. Similar to that of the P5 - but then again I'm not an audiophile, so what do I know? I know I'm happy with it.

Interior Feel: The top of the dash is made of hard plastic but also incorporates textured plastics that make it look more upscale (in a $20K kind of way). The hand brake's plastic could have been rubber for better grip, but then again, when I did use it to make a 180 degree turn (just kidding!)... It's fine. Seriously :) What I liked the best is how the top of the doors has a hard but textured black plastic that is not rounded but rather "squarish" - made me feel like I was driving something more expensive. Same feel I got b/c of the dash - yes it's higher, but it's not higher than that of the PRO - it's higher b/c the WHOLE car sits higher off the ground.

Interior Room: Headroom, even with the sunroof should be OK for ppl up to 6'1" or 6'2" - remember you can lower the seat pan! Leg room - even in the back, there was plenty.

Trunk: Ok so it has a weird opening; you'll have to fold your cargo. It's large enough to fit 1 body... Larger than the PROs at a glance, although some juggling might be required to fit certain objects.

Now the good part - The actual drive

Noise: Minimal. MUCH less than the PRO. This is a quiet car. It's no recording studio, but it's quiet. I like it.

Ride: Feels VERY Germanic (think A4 here circa 1998-1999) - still sporty, but had a way of soaking bumps that didn't rattle your insides. Very composed over potholes and joints on bridges, etc. Better than the PRO? The chassis FELT stiffer/more composed. Is it an improvement? Yes, although I can't pinpoint why. Do I prefer it to the PRO's rodeo ride? Oh yeah!!!

Braking: Like the PRO. Great/amazing/best in class. No complaints here. At all.

Acceleration: This was the 2.0L engine w/SportAT. Put it in Sport mode and did the shifting myself. Car had almost 800kms on it IIRC. It's not a slouch. Kept up with traffic just fine. I usually drove it conservatively and once once or twice went above 3500RPMs. Out-accelerated a 2000-2003 Maxima from a light - the Maxima didn't crunch it and neither did I: I just pressed a little more. It goes to 80km/h quickly!!! The fact that the speedo needle shows 8-9 o'clock when you're travelling at that speed is NOT helpful! I found it difficult to find the speedo needle and had to lift off the gas many times b/c I was going faster than the limit. It should have been set-up the normal way - 100 around the 12PM position. Faster than the PRO? Perhaps. Can't tell - needs more Ks on it to better assess it. But I would have no complaints even if I had to have an AT 3.

Cornering: Great grip from the Toyo tires! The car corners as well as the PRO, although in the PRO you feel it more. The 3 is higher off the ground too - something to keep in mind. As the 3 is more "civilized", you need to drive it faster to get the same kicks you would get in the PRO at lower speeds. There's little body lean on a simulated emergency lane change maneuver (Dinu's elk test) I tried at about 40-45km/h which freaked out the girl I was with [not a friend, not GF, something in b/w for those of you that are dying to know :)]. I then did the same thing in the PRO (after the test drive), but I did it at 60km/h and it felt more connected to the road. She freaked out less then - is it b/c the PRO felt more planted or because she was already in a state of shock from before, that we'll never know :)

Steering feel: The PRO's is better. That I know for sure. The 3 is good. Very good. Better than what we can buy at the price in NA without a doubt. But it's no PRO...

Hopefully I covered the major points.

Overall: While the PRO feels faster and a touch (very very little) more agile, the 3 is more civilized and will reward you with comfort and fun. As I said before, it has a certain A4 influence to it in its ride and balance b/w comfort and fun. I do prefer it to the PRO, although I wish the 3 kept the PRO ES/P5's white on black gauges with 100 km/h set where it belongs and where you can see it easily and it's more communicative steering. For the $21000CAD + interest + taxes that the 3GS+Power+Sport retails in Canada, there's no doubt in my mind that this is my next car.

Dinu
  • Options
    The GS w/out Sport has 15" alloys so 15" will fit and then the price will drop. Another benefit of the GS :)

Gotta watch out what you say and no posting of links that have forums!!!

Dinu
  • Options
    mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    Nice review!
  • Options
    Thanks!

To everyone: Feel free to ask other questions. I might have left out some things without realizing.

Dinu
  • Options
    http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/031202/latu099_1.html

"IRVINE, Calif., Dec. 2 /PRNewswire/ -- Mazda North American Operations (MNAO) today reported sales of 19,306 units in November -- a 21.9 percent increase versus the same period last year. The increase was the best November year-over-year jump for Mazda in the past decade.
    The company's strong month was led by its sporty Miata roadster, which posted a 32.6 percent increase in November sales. In addition, Mazda reported sales of 6,180 units for its MAZDA6 flagship sedan. Sales of the MAZDA6, which celebrated it one-year anniversary in November, continue to build momentum."

Dinu
  • Options
    osourceosource Member Posts: 5
    Just a quick thankyou to all who posted the useful information in this forum. I signed the papers last night for my Ti 3 sedan, and reading the posts here made my decision easier. thanks again.
  • Options
    I had the 3 at 100km/h for a few seconds and I was in 3rd gear, then upshifted to 4th - forgot the RPMs... But it wasn't as noisy and busy as the PRO.

Dinu
  • Options
    You're welcome!

Where did you get it from? What dealer+city? What trim and options did you get? MT or AT?

Let us know how your impressions once you pick it up.

Dinu