Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Cracked block on a EcoTech I4 engine

dasshrubberdasshrubber Member Posts: 1
edited March 2015 in Saturn
My 2009 Vue developed a coolant leak into the oil at 130k km. I had to have replaced. GM has a technical note about this exact problem with the recommended fix: Engine Replacement. The coolant was leaking into the oil at the water pump.

The Statement from the dealership states that there was a crack in the block near the water pump. The dealership was good and gave me a little help with the bill, but a block should not break like this. Is this a design defect with the block, and if so is their a class action already started?

Comments

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Haven't seen any recalls or reports on unusual frequency of engine blocks cracking on this model, although it can happen on an older block every now and then. It's an unusual occurrence and may be related to some initial casting defect. It's very hard to say after 6 years of use what might have happened. After the new block is installed, it might be interesting to examine the old block to analyze what might be the cause.