Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW Passat TDI

Comments

• rob38rob38 Member Posts: 1
    I just put a down payment on a 2005 passat gls tdi. I agreed to pay $26,000 (w/3.9%) after the leather and the seventeens. Did I get a good deal? The wheels had to be ordered so I have to wait a few days. Is this going to be a reliable car? I had a jetta 10 years ago and it was a nightmare. It was not a diesel though. What kind of mileage can I expect in the "real world"? Your replies are appreciated. I'm feeling a little nervous about my decision.
    Thank you
    Rob
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Welcome to the forum Rob. Your going to love the car. I love mine. I am averaging 32.9 MPG after 3400 miles. $26k with leather and 17s is excellent. I paid $26,589 out the door in Oregon for that same package in a wagon. That is several hundred under invoice. Some dealers around the country are holding out for MSRP. Welcome to the club. Keep us posted on the mileage you get and your driving experience. With the 17" & Michelins it handles like a good sports car.
  • deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    The comination of a Passat having TDI with a direct shift gearbox is fantastic.

Fantastic for not only fuel savings but also performance. Heard it is very hard for a manual driver to beat DSG in terms of performance. And let us not forget fuel savings.

DSG + TDI on a Jetta sounds perfect too, Have not heard any confirmation of such a Jetta. But may be interested in a TDI DSG Jetta wagon.

http://www.germancarfans.com/news.cfm/newsID/2050610.001/volkswagen/1.html
  • cingreen1cingreen1 Member Posts: 5
    Hey gagrice; thank you very much. Did I read somewhere that you got your passat w/remote starter control? That sounds like a good idea, especially from the dealer. Any input about the remote control start on a TDI. thanks gagrice,Tim
    No remote I just climb in and go. This car will be either in CA or Hawaii so remote is not really needed.
  • stephencostephenco Member Posts: 4
    I've just bought a new 100bhp Passat and am dissapointed with both the performance and economy. Can anyone please advise me on chipping this engine? I live in the UK.

Many thanks

Stephen
    Is your TDI the 1.9L or 2.0L? I thought that the new Passat's were all 2.0 with 134 HP. Mine has all the power I ever need going over the mountains and running the Interstates at 85+ MPH. They may be selling the 1.9L in the UK and it is a bit light for the Passat. Better in the Jetta/Golf.
    Oops, sorry I should have stated that; its a 1.9 TDi

My last Passat was a 130 bhp TDi and averaged around 50 mpg - this one only does around 42 mpg and is sluggish

Stephen
  • mrjettemrjette Member Posts: 122
    If you are looking for a remote so to start the car and let it warm up, that is not really an option on the TDi. The engine is so efficient, it must be driven to warm up. Sitting in the garage on idle will not do it. I always let my gassers warm up for a few minutes in my NH garage, but stopped that practice when I got a Jetta (now a Passat) TDi. The cold weather option (especially the heated seats) helps to compensate for those first few cold commute moments.
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    You can however get an electric heater (heats the coolant) that not only allows the car to start like it's a summer day but also gives you instant heat from the blowers.

I run mine occasstionally on my Jetta when it gets real cold, just for my comfort. A couple hours (use a timer) is more than enough to have the engine start and instantly peg at operating temp.
  • dieselfandieselfan Member Posts: 3
    I realize this thread has been discussed ad nauseam but I wanted to throw in my newbie two and a half cents worth. I purchased a 2005 Passat GLS TDI Wagon three weeks ago. Being careful to heed the break-in recommendations with respect to RPM's, I have found the vehicle to have more than enough power. Before my purchase I also read different reviews claiming that the 2.0 TDI Wagon was underpowered. I could not disagree more. The top speed of the vehicle is electronically limited (in the US market) to 125 mph. In everyday driving, I constantly have to watch the speedometer and take my foot off the pedal. When merging onto the interstate the vehicle easily gets away from you and I find myself rapidly approaching triple-digit speeds if I'm not careful.

In city traffic, the vehicle also has plenty of power to spare. There is a bit of turbo lag off the line, but that lasts for about one second, and then, if you're not careful, you are firmly planted into the seats as the turbo spools up and the car takes off.

It would almost seem that some of the professional reviewers are used to driving race cars and lose sight of what is acceptable power and acceleration. I wouldn't say this is a Mercedes SL500, but it surely will outperform the Toyota in virtually every aspect of performance.
    Welcome to the forum and we are always glad to hear the experiences of new TDI owners. I'm one myself and loving it. The Passat TDI is a fine car.
    Hi Dieselfan
    I would just emphasise that performance is secondary; it is the poorer fuel consumption that is the problem. Here in the UK our diesel is much more expensive than in the States (around £0.90 per litre)
    Have you checked for any brakes hanging up? That will zap power/economy easily.
    I wonder if we will get all the choices? Looks like the Brits are not as lazy as we are about manual transmissions. I think they like the TDI if they will sell 81% of the Passats with the diesel engines.

The new Passat will be sold mainly with TDI engines and also FSI petrol engines that are around 15 per cent more fuel efficient than conventional petrol units. Volkswagen has established a strong reputation among business and private buyers for the performance, durability and economy of its TDI diesel engines and expects these to account for 81 per cent of UK Passat sales. The best-selling single model in the range is expected to be the SE 2.0-litre TDI 140 PS with six-speed manual transmission

http://www.carpages.co.uk/volkswagen/volkswagen-passat-review-part-1-30-05-05.asp
    The brakes are fine - there is only 1000 miles on it (1 month old)
    No chance of trading for the 2.0 or bigger TDI? I know the Jetta folks are big into chipping for more performance. If that is the same 1.9L engine they may be able to help. Also the tdiclub.com has lots of information on all VW TDI vehicles. Good luck
  • cingreen1cingreen1 Member Posts: 5
    Thank you very much gagrice, sebring95,dieselfan,mrjette, and so many others for your two cents, which is more like two million. I was wondering how I can determine the interior's color when I'm looking on-line at dealer inventory? At one time I was determining which cars were diesel and which were not by comparing the serial numbers. Off hand I forget which number (order) character represents the engine. Can I do this with interior color too? thanks,talk to you soon, Tim
    Colors aren't built into the VIN#'s for vehicles. There are seperate placards on the car to ID the paint/interior trims. I think you're stuck calling the dealer.
  • radin2sonradin2son Member Posts: 7
    Have enjoyed new tdi wagon for past 2 months, but have not taken any long trips. No problem finding diesel stations locally, but I wonder if this will be a problem, now or in the future with fewer diesel cars being available/sold, in the south west with long distances between towns/cities. Diamond Shamrock has a good web site that shows stations with diesel fuel. Flying J also has a good site, but they are not that frequent on some routes. Never filled up at a truck stop. Are all pumps at truck stops #2 diesel and accessible to cars?
    Also had to buy, from my one and only local dealer, a "liter" of 505.01 oil for $6.88 to keep in car, as there are no VW dealerships outside of major cities. Has anyone found another source?
  • jimlockeyjimlockey Member Posts: 265
    There are plenty of places other than major cities that have VW dealers. VW has a book you can put in your car that list all the dealers.

We have traveled nation wide with our Ford Power stroke diesel pulling a 5th wheel. We have never had problems finding diesel. A lot of that in the Southwest. All the national Parks. We are traveling more in our 05 Passat TDI since the price of fuel has gone so high. After a half tank (truck) and 1/4 tank car) I start planning my next stop. This way I don't have any problems with the price as well as finding diesel. You learn quickly to spot the diesel.

You are on the right track with the Flying J's, Conoco's, Diamond Shamrock, Loves, and others. Try to use high volume stations for fresh clean diesel. Old stations and old tanks could cause you some problems. I've been doing this for ten years and have never gotten a bad tank of diesel.
    I've been doing this for ten years and have never gotten a bad tank of diesel.

Have you figured out which companies have the highest cetane rating on their diesel? My Passat has only had BP ULSD since new and I kind of dread using high sulfur diesel. Most stations do not have any indication of the diesel they are selling. I have heard that Shell is good. We plan to drive across the SW to Texas. Are there stations/brands that should be avoided?
  • jimlockeyjimlockey Member Posts: 265
    I don't worry about brand names. If you want to pay more money buy Exxon/Mobil, Texaco, Shell and a few other large majors but if you want to save money and still get good diesel, then use the high volume stations. Most of the truck stops have places in front for cars. If they don't, usually the first pump closest to the building has a small nozel and sometimes a slower pump. All are working on getting the sulpur out of the fuel, some may be a little ahead on this? Most of the time I look for Flying J (usually a CONOCO), Phillips/Conoco, Diamond Shamrock, Loves, etc. If you see a Exxon, Texaco, Shell that has a good price then stop.
  • radin2sonradin2son Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the multiple responses.
    For those unaware that route mapping is available through roadside assistance, check it out. It took several days not weeks to get maps mailed to me. Had them (AAA) map out a route I was already familiar with, and the maps provided were adequate. They also provide names and locations of VW dealerships along the way.
    I agree on the "most any brand will do" as long as we're talking normal/common #2. There are some better refined diesel fuels available that are marketed as premium diesels. Sunoco and BP both have a premium diesel product that is a much higher cetane and lower sulphur than any of the normal diesels. Very good fuels but are generally a bit more expensive. I try to run the BP Diesel Supreme whenever possible as it not only runs better/quieter/cleaner, it even smells far better than truckstop #2. Even with the significant performance mods on my Jetta, I can't make the BP Supreme smoke under any circumstance. Cold starts, WOT, nothing. Plain #2 will smoke, particularly on cold starts. I've had some low-quality #2 (Ashland seems to be junk) that smoked and limped me along terribley.
  • dzlvdubdzlvdub Member Posts: 2
    I bought a '05 Passat TDI GLS this past March, so I guess I'm the new guy on the block to this site. I sure have enjoyed all the recent postings and I've got a few questions some of you out there may be able to answer. First, does anyone know where to find the location listings for Sunoco or BP premium diesel outlets? The company websites aren't much help. Second, I saw someone mention Diesel Kleen. Well, the 32oz bottle at WalMart treats 100 gal, so does one use a cup measure for a tankful? With only a 16.5 gal tank, that 32oz should go a long way. I've had a ' 78 MB 240D, and '79 & '81Rabbit diesels and so far this car's doing great...the others were dogs compared to this! I find it likes to go at least 80-85, so got to watch for the HP types! No chipping needed with this one! Very happy with this vehicle. Only downer is local dealer held out for sticker...he sold out of Passat TDIs for the year in March. This reminds me, another question..where are you guys finding dealers selling the 505.01 Syntech at $6.88-$7.50?? The local vdub dlr is getting $10 & change before sales tax!
  • wnzbnzwnzbnz Member Posts: 3
    Vehicle lost power on highway. Could not maintain speed on small grades. Apparently, turbo boost was not working. Stopped vehicle and shut off engine. Restarted engine and power was restored. Can anyone diagnose what could cause the power loss and restoration? Volkswagen dealer cannot explain this.
  • cosmocosmo Member Posts: 203
    I bought an 8 ounce bottle of STP diesel treatment, used it once, and kept the bottle for adding Diesel Kleen to the tank. The Diesel Kleen corroded other plastic containers I had tried, and I do not want to carry a glass container full of a flammable liquid in my car. I add 5 ounces of Diesel Kleen to each tank. I buy the 96 ounce container so I have to step foot into Walmart only once a year.
  • dzlvdubdzlvdub Member Posts: 2
    Thanks much, cosmo. I'll try your method. I did find a book titled "Fuel Finder" for $12.95 on rvbookstore.com, which I'm going to order. I'll be interested to see if it lists the stations carrying premium diesel too.
  • 100mphallday100mphallday Member Posts: 4
    Just purchased my 05 Passat TDI. I'm new to Vdub but not to diesels. Completed the proper break-in then did some great cruisin. Completed a nice little 100 mph section between Montana and Idaho. The car rides on rails !!!! I bought a quart of the proper oil at a dealer in Great Falls, MT and the price was just shy of $9.00,but the dealer in Reno, my home, charges $6.25. About the 10k mile oil change intervals, whats the scope. I've seen so many pro and con articles regarding extended oil life of synthetics that it makes my head spin. 10k between changes just seems to be to long, or am I just old school? What are you other TDI owners doing regarding oil and other maintenance. I'm like a kid in a candy store; I love this car---so far. Great bang for the buck and a fuel miser to boot. I just hope this love affair lasts. I say that because my 84 Toyota 2.4D truck was great. I know a car and truck are not apples and apples, but I sure hope the quality is.
    10k miles is more than adequate when using the recommended synthetic. I've had mine tested at 10k miles and 14k miles and the oil was still well within spec. The limiting factor is the oil filter. If you're sceptical, run tests on the oil. It's generally less than $20 which you'll save quite quickly if you determine 5k miles is too early. I believe the first two oil changes are recommended at 5k mile intervals, then 10k miles after that. Unless they've changed that on the '05's. I wouldn't test until at least 3rd or 4th oil change to get past the best part of the break-in period.
  • bobwmacbobwmac Member Posts: 2
    I think VW must be changing the spec for the North American market, I don't change the oil until the car TELLS me to change the oil, though the "Smart Oil" costs a fortune here (nearly $25 a litre). But here's the good news: on a 20 mile journey I'm getting better than 60 mpg (imperial).... or at least that's what the car tells me.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    A reporter would like to interview diesel passenger car and pick-up owners and Southern California residents who'd like to buy a diesel passenger car but can't because new ones aren't sold in California. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com by Thursday, July 14, 2005 with your daytime contact info, vehicle year/make/model and city/state of residence, and put the word “diesel” in the subject line.
  • bzackbzack Member Posts: 12
    Does anybody have new information about TDI model of 2006 Passat? Are they building new version of diesel engines for the new cars? I mean, still 137hp for the North American market?
    Thanks sebring95. The info you provided is helpful. I did some more searching on the web about oil/changes and that was helpful too. Old habits are hard to break, but after the initial 5K oil change intervals I'm going to go with the recommended 10K.
  • bzackbzack Member Posts: 12
    I'm considering buying a TDI. I'm in Canada and diesel is a little bit cheapter than petro gas. But I heard it's hard to start a diesel engine in cold weather. Do anybody have experience on this?
  • mrjettemrjette Member Posts: 122
    I live in NH, USA. Winters can be brutally cold here. The car has a small heater in each cylinder that engages when the key is turned. After 5 seconds or so, a light goes out and the car always starts right up. The issue is learning to wait for the light to ensure the air temp in each cylinder is warm enough for ignition.

On another note, get the "cold weather package" for about $100. It includes electric heated seats, heated wiper nozzles so they won't freeze up and heated side mirrors so the ice won't accumulate. It is well worth it (I hope most cars in Canada would have this option!).

You will love the mileage and performance of the car!
  • cosmocosmo Member Posts: 203
    This past winter I parked my Passat TDI in the open-air parking garage at the Davenport Hotel in Spokane during sub-zero weather. Each morning it started right up after the preglow indicator light went out, but was noisy (sounded like a diesel) and ran rough for a couple minutes. By the time I drove out of the garage and onto the street it was running normally. Starting it in my garage during the winter is no different than starting it in the summer. I make short trips every 1-2 hours during my work day, and parking it outside during freezing weather during the day has no discernible effect on it starting. Just watch the preglow indicator light go out before you turn the key in the winter. You can ignore the preglow indicator light when it is above 40 degrees F.
    I've not encountered many folks having problems starting these in the cold. They do take quite awhile to warm up though, so seat heaters help in that regard. You might also want to consider an electric coolant heater. I have one on my Jetta and at 0ºF it starts up like it was summer and I have instant heat. I plug it into a timer and it runs a couple hours before I leave. Worth the $100 or so, that's for sure!
  • deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    I live in Toronto Canada and after two generations of my family driving a 1983 MB300d, there has never been an issue with cold weather!
  • dolphindolphin Member Posts: 71
    Sounds like a MAF sensor beginning to go bad...
  • dadgonebrokedadgonebroke Member Posts: 6
    Just got back from 1800 mile trip to midwest. I just kept telling my wife "I love this car." It performed perfectly with plenty of power. Gas mileage was 34+, even through the winding hills of tennessee, at 80 mph with the a/c running. The last vehicle that I took on this trip was a Hyundai Sante Fe [2002] and it seems like I spent alot of time in passing gear trying to get through the tenn. hills. Even with it's 6 cyl. engine, I got only 23 mpg. I'll recommend the passat tdi highly. I had no problem finding fuel- it seems like more and more stations are carrying it.
  • wnzbnzwnzbnz Member Posts: 3
    After a week, dealer thinks the "thrust" sensor may be going bad and is replacing it.
  • us_eagleus_eagle Member Posts: 7
    I am currently on the market for a new car. GLS TDI is my first choice because the fuel efficiency. Based on my research that TDI runs around 33 mpg and regular GLS runs around 26 mpg with mixed drive, it mean TDI saves more then 25% on gas mileage. But the price on diesel is usually at least 10% more then gas in my area; I will also have to spend $3000 more to get a TDI version. This means I will break even after I spend $20,000 on fuel. In another word. after 8000 gal (2.5 PG) or 264000 miles. Am I correct?
    A couple things to consider. The standard gas Passats "require" premium fuel. That's about the same price as diesel lately. In the past, diesel and reg. unleaded have statistically been about the same, leaving for regional/seasonal variances. Whether you run premium in them is another issue I guess.

Another thing to consider is resale value. My Jetta was slightly cheaper than a 1.8T Jetta when new, but is now worth several thousand more.

Why are the TDI's so much more than the gassers? They were supposed to be about the same price, within $500 anyway. Are the dealers not discounting the diesels? That may also be a regional thing, as when I shopped Passat diesels I was able to find some dealers that wanted sticker and others that would sell slightly above invoice. Pays to shop around.
    Definitely shop around. The local dealer in Reno, NV wouldn't deal at all, so I got on the web and found dealers in CO, ID, and Southern NV that would deal. I bought my 05 Passat TDI in Idaho for $300 over invoice and got the 2.9% for 48 months. The Reno dealers excuse was that the cars were being bought by locals for friends/relatives in California, one of several states void of TDIs. Although I haven't had my Passat very long I love it. Only wish I could have got a TDI 4motion. I heard they are available in Canada. Does anyone know if that is true?
  • tomsawyertomsawyer Member Posts: 12
    I purchases a Passat TDI in May. I now have 4,200 miles on her and I have to say so far so good. Car is quick, comfortable and I am averaging roughly 550 miles a tank full.

One thing though: I just got my insurance bill ( I live in NJ) and they price the car at $1,500 ($500 deductible) for the year. My other car is an X5 4.4i ($1,000 deductible) and I pay $1,175. Think the 325 difference is all in the deductible? I also noticed that the car's symbol is 20 while the X5's symbol is 15.

Any comments?
    My 2005 Passat and 2005 GMC hybrid PU truck are both $570 every six months. That is with $240 deductible collision & $120 ded comprehensive. That is for So. CA.
    Well you can't compare insurance state/state or owner/owner, but the symbol tells you a lot. My Jetta is also a high symbol (18). I have the same deduct and policy on all my cars, and right now my Jetta is about the same to insure as my 2005 Honda Odyssey and 2003 Chevy Silverado. The wife's GX470 is about $100 more/year.

I think the TDI is more because it has a Turbo. I'm not joking.
  • bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,471
    If it's like my diesel Rabbit (OK, this was a while ago) it is because it is a VW. Everybody knows that VWs are sporty and are driven by people who tend to speed and take chances, right?

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])