Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Colorado ABS Light

deannabdeannab Posts: 1
edited April 2015 in Chevrolet
I had a complete brake job done on my 2006 Colorado & afterwards the ABS light was one steady. Took it back to the brake shop & was told that my wheel bearings were bad. This light had NEVER been on before the brake work was performed. I am having NO noise from my front wheels that make me believe this. Got a second opinion and they said my wheel bearings are ok and that it is just my wheel sensor that needs to be replaced on the left front. NOW I am really confused.!! Who to believe.?? Light comes & goes. Now at low speed I apply the brake pedal & get a hard grinding sound & a sound of a pump whining (this does not happen all the time)? I have talked to a Chevrolet dealership & described the issue & they tell me that sensor can be damaged when brake jobs are done. I can not get the truck to duplicate the problem when a mechanic is present. I am now planning to just wait till something breaks & then I will know for sure what the problem really is.

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,490
    Might not be a good idea to wait, because when the ABS light is on that means your ABS system is probably not functioning, or not functioning properly. A proper professional scan tool should be able to identify the cause, or at least the circuit/system, of the malfunction. IMO, the wheel bearing diagnosis is incorrect. It could be a sensor of some type, or in some cases a reverse polarity problem.

Here's a VIDEO on how a backyard mechanic tackles the problem without a scan tool--but of course going to a pro with the right tools is best.