Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Sienna 2004+

Comments

• Options
    wildredwildred Member Posts: 43
    nematode, it's pretty impressive for you to elaborate in such a detailed laser assist experience. it took me a long time reading the manual and understanding the concept and the operation of the laser assist. you apparently are a very quick learner being able to operate the laser assist while first time test driving a totally unfamiliar vehicle never mind how many other gadgets the limited model has to be acquainted with.

the dynamic laser speed control, its official name, consists of two functionalities. one is constant speed control, as you adapted through the years. the other is maintaining the vehicle to vehicle distance, that's where the laser comes in. the laser works with the rear reflectors of the vehicle ahead of you. if that vehicle has a dirty rear end, it might not work. if the reflectors were missing or placed too high, it might not work either. other conditions might affect its operation are dirty laser lens or raining weather. these are all described in the manual.

it's not perfect, like everything else. taking all into consideration, i think it has done a marvelous job. i love it. so as many other limited owners. perhaps you could do many more test drives using laser cruise exclusively. who knows, more experience might change your mind, ......or not.
  • Options
    nematodenematode Member Posts: 448
    "are a very quick learner"
    Not really. I had already driven the CE, LE, and XLE with leather. I rented the LE for a day through Rent a Toyota. I'm also from a Honda/Toyota family so the down time learning the basic of the vehicle was minimal. The first with laser cruise in a Limited FWD was with the sales guy giving me pretty detailed instructions on its use before and during the drive. I just followed his directions and in light traffic it did work. It did keep a constant distance between me and the car in front of me. It is easier than using the stalk to molulate your speed and then reseting the curise control. Its when cars/trucks are shifting lanes that it does not work so well. Or, better said, as well as I wanted. It also seemed to have a problem with larger vehicles passing from the left but that only happend once or twice. The second time was with a friend who has a Limited AWD again getting instructions on the fly. That was at lower speeds (45mph, still set for constant distance) but when the car in front of you goes around a bend weird things happen. Sometimes it would brake and sometimes it would to nothing until half way through the bend. Since then I have learned that they are pretty sensitive to dirty sensors, some reflections, among other things and not an smart/dumb issue. I realize its a first generation system in a "non-luxury" vehicle but its just not as impressive as I had hoped. Its the only option on the Limited I did not like. Its truly an extra anyway since you can still use regular cruise if you dont like it amd its certainly not the sole reason I did not get the Limited. There were other options that I did not want like the moon roof (just dont like them) if I could avoid them. My spending was also capped at $35k when I heard that I a baby on the way!!! Since I wanted AWD the Limited version popped out of my range.
  • Options
    ralph_00ralph_00 Member Posts: 9
    I'm considering a 2004 Sienna LE FWD 7-passenger. Could someone explain what the threshold protector option is? What is the "dual port system" that is part of the Drop Hitch receiver?
    Also what are the pros/cons of adding the option for a Drop Hitch receiver w/dual port system versus the purchase of the hitch from a parts house and having it installed after the purchase of my Sienna?
  • Options
    kenhall64kenhall64 Member Posts: 16
    The dual port system refers to the electrical connections to trailer. There are two common types - one four prong in row about 1 1/4 inches and the other heavy duty round type. The dual port means the van has connections for both types. Most factory systems on trucks come with the round only and you need a adaptor that costs about $20. It is nice feature if you pull different size trailers. I would go with the Toyota hitch since it is made for the Sienna unless you plan on pulling trailer at or near the 3500 pound limit - then you should then get highest rated after market available.
  • Options
    jmrjmr Member Posts: 1
    Just bought the LTD AWD w/HE. Paid 37,407 from Autofair in NH (about 2100 off MSRP). Local NJ dealers were unwilling to discount from MSRP - one even wanted $3000 over! Thanks to Edmunds message board, found out about Autofair - they had two ltd awd's on their website, with price listed. Autofair did not have the color I wanted (neither did the NJ dealers), but they found one and had it driven there 3 days after my deposit. I flew into Manchester, NH the next day (frequent flier miles). They picked me up at the airport, and less than an hour later I was driving away in the new vehicle. Price was exactly as advertised online - no haggling. No pressure to buy any accessories. Without a doubt the easiest car buying experience I've had (even adding in a 250 mile drive, an hour at the NJ DMV, and trip to the NJ state inspection station). My last two vehicles were purchased for a couple hundred over invoice, but it was a lot of work to get there, even though neither was in short supply. I have wanted this van for last 10 months to replace our 2001 sienna, but was unwilling to pay MSRP+. Wife wanted the sunroof, and we needed AWD, so that locked the limited AWD, which has been in short supply in NJ. Glad we held out for the Ltd, for a few reasons. I love the laser cruise control. Like any autopilot (I'm also a pilot), you need to know it's limitations. In heavy traffic, with many lane-switchers, the laser system will sometimes react more abruptly than a driver would, but it still works. In moderate traffic it's amazing. It seems to sense the difference between a car entering your lane faster than you, versus one that's slower. The faster car, even if inside the set distance, will not cause the laser system to slow you down - it waits for the distance to open naturally. Overall, the laser system allows you to utilize cruise control in far more situations than previously possible. HID lights are cool, but not an option I personally would have paid for. While overpriced, DVD option is nice because it can play through front audio speakers without an RF interface like most aftermarket systems (just select AUX on front audio). Headphones and car speakers can independently be connected to any source - kids love it. JBL system sounds great. 115v outlets are good for battery chargers (how many times have we been headed to an event with a dead video camera battery?) Sonar also seems like it will be useful. LTD styling is also a plus. I expect we'll have this car for a long time...
  • Options
    ewtewt Member Posts: 127
    I really like the laser cruise. It doesn't work well in heavy traffic especially on highways with 3 or 4 lanes because people changing lanes in front of you triggers the "collision imminent" logic, and it applies a significant amount of braking at inappropriate times.

Otherwise, it works very well IMO. It does brake sometimes when I would have just lifted off the gas to slow down, but it generally does a good job, and avoids the annoyance of having to continually reset the cruise as traffic speeds up and slows down. I almost never have problems with "irrelevant" cars slowing me down.

I debated the logic of getting the factory navigation vs. getting an aftermarket unit what was cheaper, probably more upgradeable and portable, and decided to get the factory unit. The integration factor is really nice both from a functional as well as appearance standpoint, and the backup camera is very useful, contrary to my initial expectations.
  • Options
    steph280steph280 Member Posts: 20
    If you are looking for the factory navigation to retrofit into your Sienna, it is possible now. At least 2 guys from a sienna forum and I have successfully retrofitted Toyota navigation into Sienna, and it interacts with the factory DVD or rear seat audio system, that means maintaining the 10 speaker surround sound and all the controls. These are drop in replacements requiring tapping only two wires for speed and reverse sensor. Plus the retrofitted unit are XM capable, where the Sienna factory units are not.

I have played around with Garmin navigation system, and it still has some ways to go before being comparable with the factory unit. Plus all your radio functions are controlled with nice graphics via touch screen. It's a gadget freak's dream come true. :)

Stephen
  • Options
    elizabelizab Member Posts: 10
    My three-year-old just survived a horrific side-impact accident with just a few scratches thanks to the fact that she was straped in tight and in the center rear position. Our Toyota Highlander has been totaled, so we are looking at the Sienna. I am very interested in the side-impact airbags, but I wanted to put to rest a nagging concern I had that they might not be safe for children in the back seat (we want another child, so we may eventually have to put her near the door - a prospect I am not looking forward to). Anyway, I called NHTSA, feeling confident that they would tell me they were safe as long as the child didn't lean against the door. Instead, two different hotline operators told me without hesitation that side airbags of any variety are unsafe for children and should be disabled unless the child is in the center seating position! I don't see how this can be true given that Toyota and others make minivans with them, and there is a good gap between the side seat and the door. On the other hand NHTSA would be the autority on this. I plan to call the IIHS tomorrow for another opinion. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? What does the owner's manual say.
  • Options
    I can't decide which to get. We have a three-year-old now, but may have one more. I like the idea of the full bench in the center so I can seat next to the baby and have the baby as far as possible from side impacts (see my other post). However, with the captains chairs, the seat nearest the door is at least a little further from the door than it is with the full bench- maybe 4". My daughter survived a side-impact by just a few inches, so these things really matter to me. For people who have the 8 seater, how do you like it? Any regrets?
  • Options
    cavillercaviller Member Posts: 331
    The NHTSA representative is somewhat misinformed. The NHTSA's own policy is that each manufacturer of vehicles with rear side air bags is to ship the vehicles to dealers with these air bags deactivated, unless the manufacturer has determined that those side air bags impose no significant risk to children.

I just returned from a conference on traffic and child passenger safety issues, one with many senior NHTSA and IIHS employees present. The current consensus from vehicle manufacturers is that current side impact airbags do not pose a risk to properly restrained passengers, children or adults. In fact, they may even provide a safety benefit to children properly restrained in a CRS. While some early side airbags for the torso may have been more aggressive, current designs from almost all major manufacturers in the USA do conform to a broad set of guidelines that includes testing with out of position occupants. This also includes children in some pretty extreme seating positions (face on window, laying on pillar with airbag, etc). Based on presentations given at the conference, there are still no reports of any fatalities or serious injuries to children from side impact airbags, including even the earliest designs. There have been some reports of minor injuries (scratches, bruises, etc.), though one might wonder what injuries would have resulted had there been no side airbag present.

Unless the vehicle or child restraint owner's manual specifically warns against placing a child in a position with a side impact airbag, it should be OK. It's quite possible it will not only pose no danger, but may also provide additional protection for properly restrained children.

It was also interesting to note some statistics given by a recent study from Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. It indicated that minivans had by far the lowest incidence of fatalities to children from side impacts, much lower even than SUVs. Since SUVs ride higher, one theory was the advantage of that extra gap between the door and the captain's chairs in many minivans.

Our next vehicle will definitely have side curtain airbags for all rows of seating.
  • Options
    leknlekn Member Posts: 78
    They are probably confused between the side torso airbag and the side guard curtain for head protection. Side torso airbag is the one which may post some potential hazard if an unrestrained child is leaning against the door (as they would be right against the explosive deployment point). But side guard curtain is quite safe - as they are deployed from the roof and come down against the window.

Side torso airbag does not concern you as they are available only in the front seats. Side guard curtain has been proven the save life and there has been no reported injuries caused by it. I will never buy another car without side guard curtain.

To be honest, I am skeptical about calling for information, especially on more technical enquiries. It's like talking to reps or technical support; it depends on your luck as to how knowledgeable the person talking to you is. They may have confused about different side airbag themselves. Remember that those people answering your calls are not NHTSA engineers, so they may have read from a generic response on enquiries on side airbag, and may not distinguish between side torso airbag and side guard head protection curtain airbag.
  • Options
    kmeadkmead Member Posts: 232
    I agree stongly with lekn, they were likely confused as to what you were refering to.

What the responder said is true of seat side torso bags but is not true of the side curtain airbags. Although side curtain airbags are new to Toyota, VW has offered them as standard on all 2002 and newer cars. So far I have not heard of any issues or increased deaths attributed to them.

The recent side impact tests performed by IIHS show a strong positive for survivability with side impact bags that protect the head. The Ford Escape was unacceptable without side impact bags, when tested with the side impact bags that also gave head protection they did well. Also look at what happened on the Jeep and the Honda Element to the rear passengers. Had they been protected by side curtain bags they would have done alot better.

This testing can be found here:
    http://www.iihs.org/news_releases/2003/pr061703.htm
    Stats and availability here:
    http://www.iihs.org/vehicle_ratings/ratings.htm#sideairbags_04
    An article about effectiveness here:
    http://www.iihs.org/news_releases/2003/pr082603.htm

I have a Sienna with side curtain airbags and have no qualms whatsoever about having my children in it. The configuration of the seating in the Sienna ensures my children's heads are no where near the window zone the bags deploy into.
  • Options
    bakelly11bakelly11 Member Posts: 64
    I did decide to get the side air bags (actually I ordered without, then regretted it. I went back and changed the order to add them). My niece died a few years ago from a side crash. She died instantly of a head injury. I don't want to take that chance with my kids.

I was told by the dealer to make sure the kids don't store things on the "clothing hanger hooks" that go over the doors (or maybe I read that in the owners manual - can't remember). Objects on those hooks can fly if the airbags deploy. I feel that my kids are safer with the airbags. In my opinion, its like wearing a seat belt. Overall you're safer. My guess is that in the future, all cars will have side airbags.

Anyway, just my opinion.

Love my Sienna! I've had it for almost a year.

Bev
  • Options
    carbuff44carbuff44 Member Posts: 1
    My LE with PK 7 down shifts going down a grade when I apply the brake. It stays in the lower gear for quite some time but is not consistent. Since this erks me because I don't seem to have control I would like to know if this particular thing is because of the stability control or just part of the transmission control. I would also like to know if if the control can be defeated by changing some program control.
  • Options
    I had a feeling they didn't know what they were talking about. It really does people a disservice to misinform them about safety equipment that may save their lives. It sounds like you have connections with NHTSA. Want to try setting them straight? I couldn't get anywhere with the people I spoke to (it wasn't just one person, I called back a 2nd time and got the same answer), but if you know someone higher up that might do it. It sounds like the hotline people just have this mindset - airbags + children = danger, and they won't budge from that position.
  • Options
    It's virtually impossible to change anything at NHTSA without an act of congress or presidential mandate. I have been corresponding with them about some obsolete recommendations they have regarding child seats. While they admit to the errors and claim they will update the information, it never seems to happen. Officially submitted petitions to make changes go unanswered for years. Plus, there are apparently serious budget issues at present that have put many projects on hold and shifted resources.

Even so, I would encourage you to send your own comments to your regional office. Sometimes, input from consumers may get more attention that that from advocates. Contact information may be found here:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/nhtsa/whatis/regions/Region07/Index.html

I have some links to information on the NHTSA website here, including their most recent policy update on the topic that I referenced earlier:

http://www.car-safety.org/faq.html#Q61
  • Options
    Also, from the IIHS website:

"13. Can side airbags cause inflation injuries? Like frontal airbags, side airbags introduce energy into a crash and can cause injury. However, side airbags are typically smaller and involve less deployment energy than frontal airbags. To date there has been only one serious injury reportedly due to side airbag inflation. This involved an elderly male driver who suffered multiple rib fractures. His vehicle was equipped with door-mounted side airbags designed to protect the chest only.

Although the risk of injury from a side airbag is extremely low, to further reduce any potential dangers to children one need only ensure a child is properly restrained in the back seat. Children should not lean against the door area where the airbag is stored because the initial deployment force may be harmful. It is important for parents to understand that with or without an airbag, children leaning against a side door or lying down on a seat with their heads near the door are at high risk of injury in the event of a side impact.

Concerns about potential injuries, particularly to small children who might lie down in the seat or assume other positions against a deploying side airbag, led to the formation of the Side Airbag Out-of-Position Injury Technical Working Group. The TWG, chaired by the Institute and made up of injury experts from vehicle manufacturers, airbag suppliers, and universities, has a test protocol to assure that the inflation injury risk from deploying side airbags remains low. All vehicle manufacturers have committed to follow this protocol when designing new side airbag systems, and several already have systems in cars that meet the protocol. Check with vehicle manufacturers about whether the side airbags in your car have been designed according to these voluntary guidelines."

And the long paper about the industry guidelines that were established for testing compatibility with improperly restrained or unrestrained children:

http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/twg_final_procedures.pdf
  • Options
    I read that info about the IIHS and the voluntary standards. I called Toyota to see if they met those standards, but the person didn’t know. At least she admitted that she didn’t know.

Regarding NHTSA’s bad info. I can tell you that I was very clear that these were side curtain airbags. But I think you’re right that these people don’t know the difference between this type of airbag and the more risky torso kind. There is a video of a crash dummy child being “injured” by the torso type of airbag on their website. When I questioned their response, they just spoke over me insisting that they were unsafe and wouldn’t let me continue. I hope someone will correct them on this. No wonder NHTSA isn’t mandating side airbags in all vehicles. Their own people don’t even seem to think they are beneficial
  • Options
    We were told that every "major" manufacturer in the USA was a part of this technical working group. Some of the low volume or luxury brands may not be. Unfortunately, I do not have a list of all the members. Toyota is a member of various automobile associations that supported the group, so it's a pretty safe guess that their current vehicles conform to these guidelines. Plus, Toyota was listed as one of the entities that attended the first meeting in the document I linked from my last post.
  • Options
    weaselinsuitweaselinsuit Member Posts: 78
    I think I have ranted on this topic before but Toyota royally cheesed me off with their decision to only offer side airbags and side curtain airbags on the top of the line trim. I can't even buy them as an option on the CE or LE. As it is, I can get it on the Quest SL, which is comparable in price to the LE. I like the Sienna better all other things considered but having read the odd car crash file, and given that the van will be carrying my family, not having the curtain available is a big issue.
  • Options
    gtahobegtahobe Member Posts: 42
    I agree, that's a major bummer. I know we've been over this before and I agree that you Northerners are getting the short end of the stick.

I bought a Camry LE a bit over a year ago and was able to get the side airbag option. Weasle, do they offer the side airbags on the Camry LE trim up there?

Two weeks ago, on April 1st, actually, I managed to loose control avoiding a car coming out of a grocery store parking lot and ended up in the ditch on my side. It was a gentle roll over and if I did have side airbags on that van, I think they wouldn't have deployed. I'm fine and the van is now fixed $$ later. When it is time for a van I won't buy anything without the side airbags.

Later.
  • Options
    Side curtain airbags and side airbags are not available on the Camry LE or the SE in Canada. They're standard on the XLE and XLE V6 and optional on the SE V6.

I guess the trade off that I have to make is whether I want the Toyota which I like better and at this point has better reliability (at least based upon manufacturer history) or go with the van with the side airbags and curtains. What makes it all harder of course is the fact that the Sienna still gets top marks for safety but there's always that one in a million (or smaller) chance that the air curtain will make a difference in a crash. It's like playing russian roulette with a 1000 chamber revolver, the chances of getting the bullet are much smaller but the consequences if you do are extreme.
  • Options
    car4youcar4you Member Posts: 36
    I went to the NY auto show and asked the same questions about the CE. It really makes no sense that you cannot get the saftey features in the North East as well. One person told me the CE was designed for Fleet sales. There are a lot of CE being sold as cabs in NYC.
  • Options
    Package 3 offers the same features as an LE with package 7 (aside from a some looky features like alloys) which you should be able to order one. Try some other dealers.
  • Options
    samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    is even more important than for regular customers. They're all the time on the road, always rushing, and therefor needs more safety features.
  • Options
    thebigalabamathebigalabama Member Posts: 7
    I am negotiating the purchase of a Sienna with an after-market DVD. Is there a difference between this and the factory-installed DVD player?

Has anyone had any experience with this? I'm a little leery of making this move.

Thanks.
  • Options
    danogdanog Member Posts: 318
    Just a few comments about DVD options.

The dealer or factory installed DVDs are limited on size and options but are covered under the vehicles warranty. The fit and trim will be the closest possible match most of the time. Not a bad choice.

The aftermarket or specialty shop installed DVDs offer more options like screen size, built in TV tuners and even portablilty. Many have warranties but I not sure if they'll be covered for 3+ years.

The price of the dealer installed option is more expensive for less size and quality. This plus the portablilty reason was what made me decide to go with a 7" Cyberhome. We use a simple bag with two straps mounted to the front seat headrest and it works very well. We've been able to use it in office visits and a short stay at the hospital when our second was born. It doesn't play directly into the cars speaker system but with a FM modulator it would work fine.

Decide on what size screen and how much you're willing to pay. It doesn't hurt to check options.
  • Options
    Does your unit come with wireless headphones? Are there portable units that come with the wireless?
  • Options
    thebigalabamathebigalabama Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for that good information, danog.
    I am curious if the factory- or dealer-installed dvd units allow for kids to play video games. Also has anyone had a problem with those units blocking the view through the rear-view mirror? I'd like to get a bigger screen, but even the smaller one I saw at the dealer seemed to block the rear view.
  • Options
    momof3momof3 Member Posts: 9
    The factory unit will give you the video plugs as well as two power outlets. Nice and neat with no seperate power inverter to try to install. Having the factory warranty is also one of my biggest reasons for getting it with the van.
    The portable units seems like a great idea, but I am concerned about what might happen in an accident and that heavy unit is heavier with any sort of impact. You know, flying around in the cabin, etc.
    You get two wireless head phones with the factory TV/DVD. My van came with the bug shield on the hood, auto dimming rear-view mirror, alloy wheels, and an extra set of head phones(total of 4). I was going to ask the dealership to throw these items in when we came to sign the paperwork. But to my surprise without ever breathing a word to the dealership, the van had all these items already, and the dealership did not charge more than we had originally discussed, even though these items were not part of the original order.
  • Options
    steph280steph280 Member Posts: 20
    Factory DVD does not block rearview mirror at all.

Yes your kids will be able to play video games through the A/V input jack included with factory DVD. In fact you can hook up a VCR and tune in to TV channels if you want.

Factory DVD is also better integrated with the surround sound system. It sounds far better than if you pipe it in via RF module. In addition, rear passenger can listen to AM/FM/CD/casette from the front head unit through the wireless headphone, independent of what the speakers are playing.

And if you have a navigation unit, the DVD is also viewable in the front while vehicle is stopped.

Wireless headsets are on a frequency used by many manufacturers. I've hear people bought some from radioshack and they work fine with factory DVD.

Stephen
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The DVD talk reminds me that we have a Sienna video in our video gallery that many of you probably haven't seen.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    danogdanog Member Posts: 318
    The portable I bought didn't come with wireless head phones so that is one negative. It is powered by anyone one of the regular power outlets so I bought an extension and ran it back to the rear outlet under the carpet. As far as the unit flying around in a wreck, the bag is attached with fairly strong hardware to the headrest and a strap holds it in the bag. I'm not concerned about it getting loose.
    The integrated sounds will sound better than a RF modulator but we're not talking about home theater here. It was my understanding that these wireless head phones were mostly FM mod'd anyway.

All of this is opinion based so read these post and do some research to form your opinions. With an unrestricted budget we'd all probably treat this as we would our home theaters.

Cheers.
  • Options
    Thanks, I like the point about portability and frankly, if it's playing "Springtime for Roo", sound quality isn't a huge issue.
  • Options
    zalzal Member Posts: 3
    Hey everyone... new Sienna '04, LE, AWD.

Has anyone else had the same problem I've having. The AWD models don't have a spare, instead, we have run-flats. Well, that's fine, but they're approx $200 each to replace, not always immediately available (even at the dealers) and to be honest, I'd feel MUCH more comfortable having a spare around for long trips, even if if takes up some cargo area. The problem I'm having is that I can't seem to even be able buy a spare unless I buy a new alluminum alloy rim for $300.
    The parts dept I'm working with tells me that there is no cheaper rim that is made that will fit the van. Could this really be true?

Now, I'd be willing to buy a rim from salvage, but there don't seem to be any of the sienna rims in jumkyards (at least not yet - guess the sienna vans really are that safe --smile--).

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Zal
  • Options
    jdeibjdeib Member Posts: 70
    You might want to try the Tire Rack. The online and mail order tire store. I buy my snow tires from them and they offer packages that allow you to buy the snow tires pre-mounted on steel wheels. Maybe they could sell you one regular tire mounted on one steel wheel. They have always been very helpful and knowledgeable. If there isn't a steel wheel that will work, they would be able to tell you that.

Good luck.
  • Options
    nicklesnickles Member Posts: 41
    Also try eBay. i see steel rim take offs from the '04 sienna up there often.
    the question then becomes - where will you mount it ?

Unless the AWD has a different bolt pattern than the others, there isn't any reason you can't get the 16" steel from the dealer, like what comes on the CE's.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I got a universal steel rim to replace the compact spare on my van - it was around $50 or so.

Conner would be a good person to ask over in Tires, tires, tires.

I'd want it secured in the cabin somehow; a spare would make a nasty projectile in a wreck or panic stop.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    heywood1heywood1 Member Posts: 851
    ...on the AWD Sienna seems to bother others more than it does me. I can't remember the last time I changed a tire--maybe two or three vehicles ago. Furthermore, my wife would NEVER change a tire, and she is the primary driver of our XLE-AWD. Even if it had a spare, she'd be calling AAA on her cell phone in the event of a flat.

So why muck up the interior of our van with a spare that we'd probably never use, and would always be in the way of using that wonderful 60/40 magic rear seat?
  • Options
    We just got a Sienna LE today and love it. However, I am a little concerned about the captain's chairs. The dealership salesman moved the passenger side chair to the center-most position as we requested. When he pulled on the strap to disengage the seat, one side did not properly disengage. My husband thinks it's because he was not pulling straight up on the seat, but had his hand on one side of it. He struggled with it for a few moments with one side pulled up a few inches and the other side still engaged, and then had to put it back down and try again. The second time, it disengaged fine and he moved it to the center spot. Anyway, my question is - can the prongs that lock the seat to the floor bars be damaged if one side disengages without the other and gets lifted up a little? I'm worried that the prong that stayed locked could have gotten bent or something. Has this problem happened to anyone else? Also, I noticed in the manual it says the seat buckle needs to be stowed or it could be damaged. I don't know if it was or wasn't, but it seems okay. Is that really such a big deal?
  • Options
    jm38jm38 Member Posts: 27
    A few months ago someone posted a website where you could see many electrical options on the Toyota. The page was titled "Body Electrical - Multiplex Communication System". It had the door lock control sytem, theft deterrent system, illuminated entry system, light control system, etc. It told the default settings and other settings they could be changed to. I think it was out of some Toyota site. I can't remember who sent it in or how to get it. Anyone out there remember putting this site out there or what it is. Thanks.
  • Options
    Although the rules here do not allow direct posting of another web site, one might try an internet search for "Sienna Delivery Checklist"

I got hits for delivery checklists for Dodge Dakotas, Siennas, Odysseys, Volvos and others. I suspect you will find what you seek.
  • Options
    weedshastaweedshasta Member Posts: 85
    The lack of a spare bothers me, as a single female routinely making long trips. The more miles you drive after a loss of air, the more likely the tire must be replaced rather than repaired. Yes, I too would call AAA, but where would they take the car? To a Toyota dealer? To a Dunlop dealer? I understand most regular garages cannot deal with the run flats. The Tire Rack does have a number of wheel rims that they say will fit the 2004 XLE AWD starting at $129 with bolt pattern 5-114. I am now wondering if the tire itself should be another run flat (around $200) or if the spare can be a conventional tire that is used until the run flat can be replaced/repaired. One of their "best sellers" (4 stars) for this car is a Goodyear Fortera HL Highway All Season 225/60-17 for $114. Shipping and Handling run about $15 for 1 tire. I know you are not supposed to mix run flats with regular tires, but would it be a problem for short distances? Or should I try the Toyota dealer for one of the "dealer temporary spares". They used to be hard to find. Has anyone purchased one recently? Since I have had about 3 flat tires in 40 years, I am probably making too much of this. But I really would like to have some type of spare on long trips in unfamiliar areas.
         Another question is, if I eventually go to regular tires and not the run flats, can I use the same rims, or do I have to buy 4/5 new rims?
  • Options
    Ours has cloth seats. I am hoping it will air out soon as the smell makes me feel sick and can't be healthy since I am pregnant. How long did yours last? Anything you can do to make it happen faster? Here's a link to some disturbing info about what that new car smell really is:

http://www.sisweb.com/referenc/applnote/app-36-a.htm
  • Options
    heywood1heywood1 Member Posts: 851
    Rims are rims. They accommodate any (properly sized) tire, run-flat or not. After all, they are the same rims that are standard on the XLE Limited FWD.

I would just buy the temporary spare from Toyota. It will take up less space in the van, and won't be as heavy as a conventional spare.
  • Options
    ideaphoriaideaphoria Member Posts: 11
    I have a 2004 XLE and the rear seat is rattling so much, I'm going crazy. Has anyone else had this problem? How did you solve it? Romie1 - how did you address this issue? I already replaced the stereo because it was rattling, and the front passenger doors are shifting and making noises. But that seat rattle will get the best of me - I may sell this rattle trap at 5000 miles!
  • Options
    Does anyone know where to find a temporary spare? I have called several dealers, and nobody seems to have one that will fit the XLE AWD.
  • Options
    Can someone verify if the AWD is the same bolt pattern as the FWD ?

weeds -- keep in mind, with the AWD you do NOT want to be driving with 3 rims one size, and 1 the other.
  • Options
    I have never had or used a temporary tire. I am not being sarcastic here - I really don't understand. You say not to drive with 3 rims one size and 1 rim another size. Is this the situation with using a temporary spare, and if so, does that mean nobody can ever use a temporary spare? Is driving with 3 conventional tires and a temp spare different from driving with 3 run flats and a temp spare? Then why is the temp spare listed as a dealer supplied option for the AWD? Are the temporary rims the same diameter - 17". I thought it was just the width of the tire that was smaller.
       I went to the Tire Rack and the rims listed for the XLE FWD and the XLE AWD are identical with the same bolt pattern 5:114.
         It seems ironic to me that with car dealers always trying to sell you something you don't want, that the dealers don't have temporary spares. I would think there are many drivers who are uncomfortable driving the run flats with no spare would be interested in purchasing one if they were available.
  • Options
    Well, since the bolt pattern is the same for both models, you can certainly just get a steel rim for a LE and use that as a spare.
    when I say temporary spare, I mean the 'donut' type tire.
    These rims are MUCH smaller than the standard wheel/tire - which is why they call them 'spacesaver'...
    with the AWD it's particularly important to ensure all the tires & rim are evenly balanced.
    They must all be of the same overal diameter.
    Imagine this - your driver rear is a full size 17" standard wheel & tire (oh, and by the way, it makes NO difference if these are run flats or regulare tires...) and your passenger rear is the 14" space saver spare..
    what do you think your AWD system is thinking ?
    'Man, what the heck is this - something is SERIOUSLY dragging me down in the back here'..-- Your drivetrain will not think it's so funny when you drive an extended period of time.

the space saver spare is meant to be used in an emergency situation only, where your very first drive after it is mounted, is to a tire shop for repair/replacement.

I understand where you are going with this -- and it wouldn't be practical to mount a full size 17" steel rim (with regular brand 17" matching tire) in the back of the vehicle..
    alternative ? a Space saver rigged up somewhere else in the back..
    alternative to that ? no spare.
    the run flats will do their job should you get a small nail or some other type of object that would normally cause a slow leak (which is why it's important to always check your PSI and visually scan the skins - think about it, how will you know you have a foreign object in your tire, if the RUNFLAT doesn't let it go flat ??)
    BUT, that curb your going to jump accidentally, care not about what kind of tire you have.. Hit it hard enough, it's going to blow.

I think your kind of stuck. you replace all 4 runflats with regular tires, your out of pocket replacement costs are cheaper... but you'll have no spare.
    Keep the run flats and hope you just can get by on flat protection - and keep a keen eye on your shoes.

It's a gamble.. I think the safe bet is on the house (you) since the chances are far greater that you will not NOT have a flat or blowout..
    it's like an insurance plan for your insurance plan.
    Me ? I would leave all as is, forget the spare (you wouldn't want to waste the space in the back anyway) - and enjoy ..

Curious to know if the extended warranty (or factory warranty no less) has a special provision for the XLE AWD.. it doesn't come WITH a spare, so if your driving down the highway and have a blowout, you have to rely on AAA.. and AAA's only choice will be to tow you.. For those that don't have AAA, does Toyota pick up this coverage ?? something that would be good to know.
This discussion has been closed.