Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Sienna 2004+

Comments

• Options
    kipkip Member Posts: 12
    The frant portion under my passenger seat is a small drawer. The rear portion under the passenger seat is a small black plastic which supposedly is under seat air vent.
  • Options
    kwtradingkwtrading Member Posts: 19
    thats a bummer. oh well. that explains why that color didn't show up when i was playing around on cars direct dot com. back to the drawing board then.
  • Options
    crypiecrypie Member Posts: 3
    My new XLE AWD arrived at the dealer on Monday, so we anxiously went to pick it up Tuesday morning. It looked great and everything worked fine, so I drove off. Later that night when I got home and opened the passenger side power door (with the remote), the door stopped mid way and made a funny sound. I had to manually close it. I opened it again and could see some loose cables hanging down. Needless to say i was pretty PO'd that my new $32K van with less than 20 miles on it was broken.

I took it back to the dealer and they are going to have to order parts to fix it. One part should be here in 2-3 days, the other will take 1-2 weeks!

Obviously I'm not real happy about driving around in a broken van for the next two weeks. I've talked to the service manager and he has agreed to escalate, but I feel like they need to do something else to "make it right with me."

I don't want to be greedy, but I do think this reflects poorly on Toyota's quality - I definitely am not "completely satisfied." I know this is an abnormality, but when it happens to you it still feels pretty cruddy!

So, has anyone had this problem before?

Anyone have a good idea what sort of remuneration I should try to get for this major inconvenience.

BTW - this is my third toyota purchase and my second at this dealer, so I'm a loyal customer that I'd presume they want to keep.

thanks
  • Options
    kksdadkksdad Member Posts: 28
    For those that "got it" and for those that "want it", anyone noticed that, at least on the "buyatoyota.com" web-site for Northern CA, they no longer charge a premium for this color? If I remember right, up to a couple of weeks ago, wasn't it being invoiced for a couple of hundred bucks MORE? On the "toyota.com" site, it's still XLE's only, and it's still an extra cost item. A change in pricing policy, maybe? Can anybody tell if it's nationwide?

Hey, it's a start, what else are they going to discount next?
  • Options
    ralph_00ralph_00 Member Posts: 9
    Does anyone have an idea when the 2005 Sienna models may start arriving in Toyota dealers showrooms? When did the first 2004 Sienna arrive in showrooms? Was it in April 2003?
  • Options
    hardy13hardy13 Member Posts: 11
    I had a similar experience where the car I wanted was obtained from another dealer. At the last minute before I purchased it, they told me the car had 600 miles on it ( from being driven there from the other dealer). When I checked it out, there was a ding on the bumper also. I never ended up buying it there, but in order to entice me, they offered me a coupon booklet for free oil changes and service. It was a $400 value since it also would pay for scheduled maintenance. It was good at any dealer in the US. They also offered me lower financing. But since you already own the van, threaten to give them a bad 'survey'. They are extremely interested in getting the best ratings on their surveys. Tell them you are not happy and can't possibly give a perfect survey score unless they try to appease you. Suggest the coupon book to them. Maybe a few free oil changes etc will help a little.
  • Options
    1997montez341997montez34 Member Posts: 202
    I would call Toyota corporate. Don't bust the dealer's hump too bad. They didn't break the door and the service manager sounds like he's doing whatever he can to fix the problem ASAP. Car are machines and all machines break, even Toyotas. Relax, enjoy the van, and in 100,000 miles this will all be forgotten.
  • Options
    jmessjmess Member Posts: 677
    Well I finally took a test run. It was a loss leader CE with pkg1. One of the local dealers had one advertised for $21,988; which was a pretty good price. First off I was impressed with the overall fit an finish of the interior and the usefulness of the folding seats. I was expecting a really plain jane interior in a base van and was pleased to see that wasn't the case.

The van had a pleasant ride in a straight line and road noise was pretty well controlled. I was able to push the van a bit in a few corners and it was clear than this van doesn't really like twisty roads. The steering is over boosted off center and the shock valving. trades handling for comfort. The engine has pretty good power once the electronic throttle turns it lose. The throttle delay from low speeds could take a while to get use to.

My only real beef with the van is the brakes are not confidence inspiring. They stop the van but you really don't feel like you have more brakes than you need. IMHO Toyota took the cheap route with the drums and/or didn't use bigger drums and discs so they could save money on wheels and tires. I personally wouldn't want one with drums because I am going to be towing a 1000-1500 LB boat/motor/trailer. My Tundra truck and rear drums and the brakes worked pretty well but the drums were really big.

I don't feel the van is unsafe with rear drums but it IMHO it falls short of what is should be in this area. I am going to drive a Honda Ody next then go back and drive a Sienna with rear discs.
  • Options
    kwtradingkwtrading Member Posts: 19
    Our first Sienna test drive was a CE because that is all they had on the lot. I was blown away with the quality of their base model for the money. It is hardly stripped. The base is really close to all we need (i wish) but there are some feature on the LE we think are worth the extra money. But man, for a minivan if you were shopping value for the money I would take a Sienna CE all day long over something like a loaded Kia Sedona which many people on a serious budget assume would be cheaper.
  • Options
    samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    I was today in a Sienna again. I would love to buy it once my Windstar lease expires, in about 9 months. However, I would like to see a few improvements and changes.

I personally would take the XLE FWD, with package #12, with the exception of leather seats. I hate leather. Too bad you can’t get everything but leather. I just hope the '05 models will be better packaged. I also don’t need the automatic climate control (too complicated), I prefer the manual controls. Simple & easy.

Here is my list of changes I would like to see in the '05 models. These changes guarantees to have me as a first time Toyota customer:

1) Lighted switches for power controls of the windows, door locks & mirrors;

2) When opening the front doors, all lights should come on, not just the front;

3) The interior lamps are not bright enough (American minivans are brighter);

4) Sun visor extenders and secondary visors;

5) Rear sonar sensor for the XLE series;

6) I wish memory seats for the XLE & Limited;

7) Auto-dimming outside mirror for XLE (standard in the Limited);

8) Message center with important information. Such as bulb outage warning (found on Toyota Matrix);

9) Power adjustable pedals (found on the Camry);

10) Revised tail lamps and front grille; Bigger tail signal lamps (amber color preferred);

11) Good quality all-season tires (not run flat) and better brakes.

I would also like a few other minor changes, but it’s not that important. Since I’m used to Ford minivans, I like these things: Bigger fuel tank, message center which let you know which door is open, not just ‘door ajar’; Signal or puddle lamps on the outside mirrors; In my Windstar, if when turning off the engine the front or rear wipers are not finished off wiping, the ‘accessory delay’ feature will bring them down, so they don’t stay up until the next time you start the van; Baby sleeping mode; illuminated controls for cruise settings; etc.

Now, a short question. Please answer me on this one. I’m used to Ford minivans and sedans. But whenever driving a Toyota or some other imports, there are many changes which I almost can’t get used to. For example, the wiper controls. On the Ford’s it’s on the left side of the steering wheel, while on Toyota it’s on the right side. The same problem is with the column shifter sometimes, and headlamp switch.

But the main question is, how are the Toyota’s wiper controls designed?? In my Ford minivan, I simple have to turn the switch from off to the highest speed. But in Toyota’s cars (and same is for Ford Focus, Chevy Malibu, etc.) I can’t figure out how it works, you can pull the lever up and down, left and right, push & pull, turn the switch to higher intervals, and so on.... soooooooooo confusing. I’m driving them for weeks and still can’t figure out how it works? Where is logic? Is there any point Toyota designed it that way, and some American companies try to copy them?

Explanations please!
  • Options
    nofeernofeer Member Posts: 381
    rear seat audio system with remoter control and wireless headphone CAPABILITY----?????
    I may get an after market DVD system rather than the factory
    would the after market dvd then interfere with this. so then i would have 4 wireless headphones, 1 set for each function??

Has anyone here put an after market dvd system in an xle or ltd--this feature is standard on both

the aftermarket all in one dvd system is much cheaper at say bestbuy rather than factory. but do you get additional benefit from the factory unit

thinking of the following
    xle ltd with floor mats, rear spoiler NO RUNNING boards
    get the nav and dvd system bestbuy (roadmate 700 and an all in one dvd with 7-8" screen)

also if you use the center console for the rear, can you just buy the folding tray for the front passengers--toyota makes these packages confusing don 't they
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is looking for vehicle owners with a rear entertainment system who have used it for more than just entertaining the kids on a long trip. Has an adult used it frequently on long trips by sitting in the back? Have you taken a break at work by catching part of a movie in your back seat? If your hotel didn't have a DVD player on a family vacation, have you hauled the family out to the car to catch a movie? Please respond via e-mail by April 6 to jeff@selingo.com.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    jdeibjdeib Member Posts: 70
    Actually, once you use the Toyota wiper system, you will never view another design as adequate. They are very logical and easy to use. You can adjust them without taking your right hand off of the steering wheel. You just extend your pointing or middle finger and flick the stalk down for the intermittent setting then down once more for low and once more for high. If the wipers are in the off position and you have a quick splash of water on your windshield (ex. from a car in front spraying back water) you can flick up on the stalk and it will wipe on cycle and stop. To use the washer, just pull the stalk towards you. To change the intermittent setting, you have to rotate the ring that is on the stalk. What is great about this is that all Toyotas are like this, the switches are located just right. Wipers on the right and lights on the left, with cruise on the lower right. You never have to take your eyes off of the road (or hands off of the wheel)to do any of these controls. It is logical comfortable and best of all (unlike the GM Ford, and Chryslers my family and I have owned) you don't have to worry about any of the stalks coming off in your hand.

Not to sound like an old TV commerical, but, "try it you'll like it"
  • Options
    "Toyota, get the feeling"...
  • Options
    leknlekn Member Posts: 78
    In addition to jdeip's description on front wiper control, the rear wiper is operated by the knob at the tip of the wiper stalk. You turn clockwise one click for intermittent, two clicks for continuous rear wiper operation. For rear window washer, you have two options. Turn counter clockwise from the off position to spray washer fluid without activating the wiper. Or turn clockwise all the way past the two clicks to activate both washer jet and wiper.
  • Options
    mark76mark76 Member Posts: 15
    What you may want is Sienna CE with option package #3 (AI) You'll get great value and all the best safety features available on the van. I am a big advocate of getting 4 wheel disc brakes whenever possible. Especially if you will be towing, which it sounds like you will be doing. Since the Sienna isn't a "real" truck (though it is technically for CAFE purposes), one needs get all the gear you can get on the van that will help you out if you tow. The great thing with all Sienna's is you get a great engine (same one that's in the 40K XLE Limited) and they're pre-equiped for towing, including a heavy duty alternator and radiator. All you'll need is a hitch.

Hopefully you'd be able to find a CE with pkg #3. You may or may not know that Toyota builds only a few models for each region of the country. If you want something else you'll have to order it and wait (typically 3 to 8 weeks). That is the situation we are in.
  • Options
    kmeadkmead Member Posts: 232
    My experience with the Sienna braking system is that either system doesn't "feel" very effective in normal braking, when in reality they are nearly the same.

The Sienna braking system needs a very healthy shove on the pedal to really haul the van down from speed. This seems out of character with the light nature of the rest of the controls but it does have its advantages: it is very easy to modulate and you can easily bring the vehicle to a stop smoothly with no jerking an overboosted system often causes.

The next time you test drive a Sienna bring it down from 60, hard. It doesn't matter which brakes (disc or drum) it has, you will be impressed that such a large box can haul it down so fast and hard.

Rear discs are not as needed as many here make them out to be, they are a useful feature but not so much better that most people would ever notice them.
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    just how much $$ is saved by using rear drums instead of discs??
  • Options
    Pkg 3 is what I would want even if I had to do an order it.

It will be interesting to see if I feel a difference in pedal feel between rear drums and rear disc. I personally prefer brakes with a more linear feel. A low pedal tends to make me uncomfortable.
  • Options
    lovemyaccordslovemyaccords Member Posts: 21
    Today I passed a 2004 Sienna (while driving mine!) and I could see DVD screens installed into the back of each front seat head-rest. Does anyone know where you find these and how the electrical connections are done (and where the player goes?)

Wendy
  • Options
    Sorry for bothering again. I just finished reading both posts (#1806 and #1808) and you just agree with me! look at how long your descriptions are, very complicated. For my Windstar, I would say it in one sentence:

Rotate the end of the control away from you to increase the speed of the wipers; rotate towards you to decrease the speed of the wipers.

Windshield washer: Push the end of the stalk.

Rear window wiper/washer: Rotate the ring on the stalk.

Simple and easy.

I would recommend all car manufacturers to make one design, no matter which one, so you can drive any car without having to get used to all those confusing controls.

Also I checked the Sienna yesterday at night, when I wanted to try out the rear seat folding, it was very dark in the rear area. There is definitely missing a cargo lamp on the roof to illuminate the rear area. The small cargo lamp in the side is almost useless. Besides, as I mentioned above, the interior lamps in the Sienna are not bright. Also the front lamps are theater-like dimming, while the rear is not.

I would also like a lamp in the glove box (I have it in my Windstar), and a lamp in the center console.

Toyota please listen. I want to buy a Sienna next (in '05).
  • Options
    I hear you about standard controls, with our IS300 and Honda Accord the intermitant wiper speed controls are reversed.
  • Options
    There are not many wiper solutions worse than the one on Fords (GM as well) multi function stalk.

Having to remove a hand from the steering wheel to grasp a control is completely unacceptable from an ergonomic and safety perspective. The motions are completely contrary to what one should be doing. If you are used to it, it may be second nature for you, but for most people it is awkward.

The system that Toyota and many others use where you keep your hands on the wheel and can just stick out a finger to flick the stalk is far superior. Ford even used to offer this on some of their cars such as the old Fiesta (a European made Ford). I have had cars with this control system since the 60s and would not accept any other.

Keeping ones hands on the wheel when a large truck blows a mound of slush and snow on the windshield and being able to clear it without having to grasp a control is far superior.

I understand that you disagree, but among the many reasons I would never buy a Ford or a GM product is the incredibly poor ergonomics of the controls. Truly driven by cost cutting and not looking at what is the best solution.

I was dismayed by the Sienna requiring me to twist a stalk control for the rear wiper when it could have been done by adding a push away motion to actuate the rear wiper or washer. VW uses a push away motion (again doable without taking ones hand off the wheel) to turn the rear wiper on and actuate the washer when pushed further still.
  • Options
    woodytwowoodytwo Member Posts: 42
    Drum vs Disc. Not much difference, (but I still prefer disc). I was informed by toyota technicians that Sienna brakes using 70% or more on the front and only 30% or less on the rear. Disc pads on front will wear out 3 times before you need to change the rear.
    Drove a 98 sienna over 100K miles and this was my experience. Lots of hard braking since 30% of the time I was pulling a large RV trailer.
    Ps. My towing experience. I would rate as "Excellent" or "10 out of 10". Drove my 2004 Sienna with larger RV trailer over 10K miles with same result.
  • Options
    I posted a similar question on the problems & solutions topic. My mpg is reading low 4-5 miles. Since the same plant makes sienna's for Canada & the usa, I am wondering if there are two software programs: one for Canada to account for the larger 160 oz gallon vs the 128 oz gallon used in the USA. If anyone can obtain further info on this I would appreciate knowing.
  • Options
    rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    It makes me feel good to see the calculated MPG reading 30 during hwy driving. I think the actual mileage is about 26, still pretty good considering the size and weight of the vehicle.
  • Options
    woodytwo, about how much does your trailer weigh and what kind of MPGs were you seeing while towing?
  • Options
    I agree with you, but do you always have both of your hands on the steering wheel? And besides that, I do agree that you need a mist function without taking your hands off the steering wheel, and that's how it's on the Ford's design. But you don't need to control ALL wiper functions without taking your hand off the steering wheel, right? b/c even on Toyota's & VW design you have to remove your hands to set the intermittent ring, which you CAN'T do with both hands on the wheel.

In my Windstar, if I want to wipe off (a single wipe) I just push in the end of the stalk, without taking my hands off.

However it is, you still have to agree that it would be a good thing that all cars should share one simple and safe design. Maybe the government will make some new laws for that, who knows..?

Most people don't seem to be bothered by one way or the other, but for many people it could be a deal breaker.
  • Options
    you can set the intermittent repeat without removing your hands as it is a little lever on the lever, allowing you to just slide it with your index finger. Its pretty clever. The old VW design required a sequence of putting it on intermittent, turning it off and then back to intermittent to set the interval. They abandoned it as too many people never understood it, a clever solution using a "smart" relay that was too complex and non intuitive for most users.

Toyota does require twisting a secondary knob for intermittent and rear wiper actuation, a real failure in my eyes. There are many other human factor errors on the Sienna, but they are less grievious.

In my case both hands are on the wheel all the time. Especially in bad weather, I travel on a road where the opposing traffic is a mix of cars and large trucks and have had many cases where I get a load of muck thrown up. I've gotten to where I can anticipate the event and the wipers are already in mid sweep when it hits.

Yes, maybe a universal design could be of assistance, but as it is, a company that does a good job on ergonomics is a differentiating factor. Now if I could get Toyota to move the stalks down to the 9 and 3 position from the 10 and 2...
  • Options
    deepandeepan Member Posts: 342
    Is a really good one but many cars do not seem to have it. My 87 camry has it but the maxima & sienna i have now dont.
  • Options
    hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    The Odyssey spare is easily removed from inside the vehicle BUT the regular tire can not be put back into that space.
         The spare tire can easily be removed and replaced on my son's 2002 Grand Caravan Sport. A full size tire can be had as a spare in the DC minivans.
         I like the Sienna overhead console trip computer that displays the compass direction all the time and has on the right side the Instant Economy, Average Economy, Distance to Empty, or Outside Temperature.
         However, the Sienna overhead console does not have all the nice items of my son's 2002 GC Sport but does have Toyota reliability where DC reliability has not been good for enough years to convince me.
  • Options
    dako_tiandako_tian Member Posts: 298
    has a big bag in with the donut spare. You are supposed to use it to put the full sized (flat) tire in so it won't dirty your interior. Then get to a place that can fix the tire ASAP (unlike Dallas drivers who routinely drive 70 mph on the freeways with a donut mounted!?).

I'm betting Toyota thought of that too....?
  • Options
    impact01impact01 Member Posts: 95
    If you folks haven't heard yet, per an authoritative post in another forum, a power passenger seat and heat for all leather seating surfaces will be available on the 2005 model. Packages are also going to be simplified it seems.
  • Options
    The current Sienna does hava mist feature, depending on what you mean, it can have a long time between wipes or you can flick the lever in the opposite direction from the "on" positions for a single wipe.
  • Options
    jmess, here is the data. MPG varies between 13 and 18. Travels took us coast to coast.
    30 ft Airstream, 7200 lbs, with '98 Sienna 16 mpg. 30 ft Airstream, 8200 lbs, with '04 AWD Sienna 15 mpg.(Canadian gallons)
  • Options
    jdeibjdeib Member Posts: 70
    My post agrees with yours? Hardly.

I was simply explaining to you the benefits of a great and logical design. I like to be thorough in my explanations. I can sum up the features of the Toyota stalk in a few lines the same way.

Here goes:

"To turn on wipers flick down with index finger. For mist on windshield flick up. To wash windshield pull towards you. To adjust intermittent speed rotate ring."
  • Options
    deepandeepan Member Posts: 342
    there are typically 3 settings. Intermittent (variable time,speed1 & speed2. There is also a 4th setting (mist) whereby the wiper will clean the windshield once without spraying any water everytime you activate it.
  • Options
    woodytwo, it appears that you were exceeding the max towing weight for the Sienna of 3500 LBs buy 2x. Is that right?

Also were you using premium or regular fuel when you were dragging the trailer?
  • Options
    kenhall64kenhall64 Member Posts: 16
    The headrest screens are aftermarket. They are sold/installed at places like Tweeter, Best Buy and Circut City. They run the wires up under seat covers. The players can be mounted anywhere including dash, under seat or ceiling. I saw Tahoe that had 10 screens in it - 2 in sun visors, 1 in dash, 2 in center ceiling, 4 in headrests amd large one mounted in ceiling of cargo area that would flip down to watch while tailgating. That's way too many.
  • Options
    bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    Lovemyaccords

I know Circuit City has headrest screens with different sizes
    Go to www.circuitcity.com > Car Electronics > Auto Video
  • Options
    twinmomtwinmom Member Posts: 2
    I keep going back and forth of whether or not it is worth getting the fully loaded XLE Limited or if I should have the DVD and Navigation systems installed seperately. Any advice??
  • Options
    andrewtran71andrewtran71 Member Posts: 840
    I think if you get the Limited, you will have absolutely no regrets.
    However, if you get the XLE and add DVD+NAV, you may regret it down the line. You may keep on wondering if you should have gotten the Limited. You may be thinking later, "what's a few grand more since I'll be keeping this vehicle for a long time?"
    I know my local dealer can get me $3K off MSRP if I get the Limited, but only $2K off if I get the XLE.
  • Options
    danogdanog Member Posts: 318
    We decided to go with the Limited although w/o DVD but I think we made the correct choice. The options on the limited really are worth the extra money. The headlights, heated seats, power rear vents, the 4whl disc brakes and 17" wheels really are nice.
    We originally wanted the XLE #16 but for roughly $1000 more we're happy with the Limited.
  • Options
    wildredwildred Member Posts: 43
    worth every penny!!!

twinmom, looks like you could afford it or you wouldn't be pondering. if so, definitely go with the limited. i might add go with the factory NAV/DVD(package #6, HO). after market will be cheaper for sure. but will that worth the trouble? will it function and look as good as factory installed? and if you mess with the interior paneling, drilling holes, splicing wires, would it void the warranty?

by getting the limited, you're getting many useful features such as high intensity discharge headlamps, automatic day/night rearview mirrors, power moonroof, sonar audible parking assist, (by getting NAV you are also getting rearview video on your NAV screen when backing up), front & rear & center side impact airbags, heated front seats, dynamic laser vehicle to vehicle distance and speed control, stability control, retractable side sun shades, traction control, windshield wiper de-icer...

many of those simply aren't available options on the XLE model. although i was fortunate only paid $35,592 for a limited FWD with HO and CF (MSRP $38,846), i would still buy it even if the factory asked for $45,000. it's just that good! look at what other $45,000 vehicles are offering, and compare their quality too.

as for financing, i'm not up to speed, i paid cash. check with your credit union, do searches on the net, etc. there're many very useful posts here regarding that. do a search you shall prevail. one last thing, don't forget to get the factory extended warranty also. anything goes wrong just one time would pay for the price already. for the best price info, read weedshasta's post on that subject. best of luck!
  • Options
    nematodenematode Member Posts: 448
    Depends on what you want. The Limited was not right for me. I got the XLE AWD gk cf over the Limited or the Limited AWD for about $32.5k late last year. Dealer actually had all of them at various times for us to look at and even had a slightly larger discount on the Limited AWD for some reason.

Anyway, with the XLE AWD gk cf package you gets leather heated seats, all the air bags, the integrated sun shades, and stabilty control/traction control, and AWD. If you can live without the AWD there is a similar package for about $2k less ($30.5k). I think its the XLE option #12.

The only things I really wanted from the limited were HID lamps and parking sensors. I tried the laser cruise and hated it and did not want a moon roof. The auto-dimming mirror was also nice but overall the Limited package cost a lot more for stuff I did not really want. So for me the decision was easy. If you want the other suff then the Limited is the way to go. Definately make a list of all your MUST have stuff and try it before you buy it.

The aftermarket is pretty active now so HID lamps are $400 with quality ballasts and bulbs and front+rear parking sensors are $250 (or less). The HID aftermarket retrofits are currently illegal but that does not seem to stop people. I already know 1 LE owner and 1 XLE here who did it and they are pretty impressive. If you have someone install both it will be about $250 labor (mostly for the sensors). If you want DVD/NAV its usually better to aftermarket too as you can get bigger/better screens for less money.
  • Options
    aggie76aggie76 Member Posts: 266
    Quick question - if I get the Laser cruise does the car also have the regular cruise in case I don't want to activate the laser?
  • Options
    Yes, if you get laser cruise you still get regular cruise. You dont have to use laser cruise at all. I did not like laser cruise so I would have never used it. I would have just used the regular cruise. Its why I did not want to pay extra for it.

Make sure you try it before you decide. I really hated it. It really does too much thinking.
  • Options
    aggie76aggie76 Member Posts: 266
    I've used it on an '04 Lexus LS430 that I am looking at and just couldn't recall if both were there or not, thanks.
  • Options
    danogdanog Member Posts: 318
    What is it about laser cruise that you don't like. I've never used it before and tried it the other night and it wasn't that bad. I did notice that it seems to brake a bit more than I would manually and when it goes back to accelerate it isn't very quick.
  • Options
    I tested it 2 places:
    1) I70 near Kansas City with light traffic but lots of trucks.
    2) Two lane roads south of St. Louis.

On flat roads with no traffic it works OK but thats not when it would be most useful. Regular cruise works just fine in that when nobody is around and/or traffic is really light. In the first case a car, or usually a truck, will pass and pull in front you but accelerating away. Nothing needs to be done but the laser assist applies the brakes anyway, sometimes pretty aggressively. Its not dangerous or in anyway unsafe but it is annoying. Also while on I70 a couple of times it applied the brakes on flat land with nobody in front of me for no reason. I could not explain that at all. It was certainly not scary but you could tell the sales guy was kinda puzzled too. I dont expect it to read my mind but I just was not impressed by it.

In the second case on 2 lane roads that curve it seems to get really confused. 45mph speed limit through some wooded areas some gradual curves and some sharper. It applies brakes at weird times and other times it brakes really late. I'm not sure what its doing. In this case I was not able to get the speed set just the way I wanted. I'm used to using cruise on those roads.

Its not like I dont like laser assisted cruise at all. I just dont like the current version in the Sienna.
This discussion has been closed.