Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cancer and mobile phones when used inside cars

rikirixrikirix Member Posts: 1
edited May 2015 in General
Hi, i am writing this post hoping to find some support or at least give some useful information.
But first of all I just want to give a quick reminder that many of you might underestimate: mobile phones are dangerous if not used with some precautions. It's not my intention to demonize a device that is not only useful but also necessary; I just want to make you think about it as something that should be used with attention, specially when we have children next to us.
But I am here to talk about the use of mobile phones under a specific circumstance: while we drive or we are inside a car.
Maybe a lot of you know about the dangers of mobile phone radiations, but maybe not everybody knows that while a mobile phone is inside a car it emits more radiations than normal and a lot of these radiations keep bouncing inside the car and are absorbed by its occupants. This event is known as “Faraday cage” (by the name of the scientist that studied this effect): the car acts like a cage so the phone has to emit it's signal at maximum strength to communicate with the base stations and at the same time part of the radiations, as said, are trapped inside the car and end absorbed by all occupants. And this circumstance happens not only while we are using the phone but also when it's in standby mode because as the car moves the phone seeks the better signal that can be reached. Now think about how many times, inside the car, there are children that are particularly vulnerable to these harmful radiations.
My project is to avoid the Faraday cage effect and still being able to use the phone while inside a car, but for the moment please let me know if you have any questions about what I am talking about and later, if you find it interesting, I will proceed explaining what my project is.
Bottom line: mobile phone radiations should be considered as passive smoking.

A few links if you want to know more about the Faraday cage: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Faraday#Faraday_cage

and about the effects of mobile phone radiations when these effects are studied by independent scientist without any kind of interests conflict: http://www.bioinitiative.org/

cheers

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Haven't heard anything about this issue for a long time. I don't do phones, but I do ride shotgun a lot with a laptop and iPad wifi/cell hotspot nearby.

Still, I'm more concerned with the material and adhesive outgassing in cars.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    The gereral scientific consensus on this issue indicates that the evidence is not strong enough at this time to be considered causal.