Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently bought/leased a new car online and requested a home delivery due to coronavirus? A reporter would like to speak to you; please reach out to [email protected] by 4/5 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Battery is not charging

josephmojosephmo Posts: 2
edited May 2015 in Honda
I bought this car new about 3 years ago. All original equipment, no add-ons.

About a month ago, shortly after its regular service, the car would not start. Called AAA, they came in and gave it a jump, the car started. I drove it for a few miles, and parked at home. The next morning, it started fine, drove it to the office and parked, but could not started when I was getting ready to leave. I got it jump started and took it home. I used a slow charger at home, the battery charged up completely, and started. A few starts later, it would not start any longer. I did this a few times with the same results.

All electrical systems seem to be working fine: lights, radio, high beams, parking lights, daylight running lights, regular lights, break lights, rear lights, inside lights, instrument panel lights. Battery connectors are super clean. Is there a specific fuse for the battery charging circuit?

Any ideas?

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,490
    If the car wasn't charging the battery light would be on.

First step I'd suggest is to have the battery load-tested. It might be defective.

If the battery checks out ok (it has to be fully charged before you can load test it), you can test the charging system using a simple voltmeter connect to both battery terminals, while revving the engine. You should read something like 13.7 to 14.2 V

You should also check for a parasitic drain to your battery. With everything shut off and doors closed, your battery should be draining no more than perhaps 50 milliamps.
  • josephmojosephmo Posts: 2
    A couple of questions:

1. How do I load test it?

2. How do I check the parasitic drain? In the past, I've left left it on occasion for 4 days and it would start without a problem.