Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 1-Series

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    Today, on the way to work..

Some dark gray/black color... Not sure if it was 128i or 135i, as it was going the other way, and I didn't realize it was a 1-series until it was past me...

Still had temporary tags..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    These posts have been moved to the BMW 1-Series Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion. Please continue over there.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    Hey Bruski,

I look forward to talking more about your car on this forum. Just as long as we don't discuss the price, let's continue to discuss the car itself here... otherwise our discussions will get all fragmented and end up a dead thread. ;)

I did read about your comments regarding the sports suspension, and I completely understand. If you really intend on driving in a casual touring style, then that "softer" ride will be a genuine pleasure as opposed to the firmer ride.

TM
  • bruski2bruski2 Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for the reply tag.
    Yeah, you know as I do a bimmer drive is a bimmer drive no matter what package you get.
    Guess Ill worry about the firm drive when I get MY porsche.
    Give ya a shout after I take delivery (this friday) tentitive....yeahhhhh!
    bski
  • sellaturcicasellaturcica Member Posts: 145
    Test drove a 135 coupe. What a blast, it seems like a great car, very fast and very nimble feeling. What's not great is a specced example without premium package or even leather and a manual transmission is $38K before tax and fees. If the car was about $4-5K less it would be a no brainer to me, but it's quite ridiculously expensive IMO.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    Name one car with the same degree of performance and refinement that costs less...
    The solution for you is to get the 128i, which achieves your price objective.

Otherwise, if you want that twin-turbo, it seems you ought to recognize that it comes with a price tag attached... and no competition at that price.

If anything, it's a steal! A rare bargain, if there ever was one!

TM
  • gplayerjrgplayerjr Member Posts: 10
    Sell...

Need to blame a weak American Dollar vs. the Euro for the pricing....BMW had to adjust!
    wanna play? gotta pay!
    ;)
    I'm going to have to drive a lightly used Corvette and see what it drives like compared to the 1, as they're about the same price.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935
    Well, if you don't care about the backseat and want to include used cars, there are lots of others to consider, too.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I don't care particularly about the rear seat because with the 1 I'm going to have to keep my 1993 Infiniti G20 for winters anyway.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    So why not look at the Z4M coupe or a variety of used cars. It seems odd to compare a vette to a 1 as their missions are so very different.
    Because Chris Bangle hit the Z4 with an ugly stick. I've thought about the Miata or Boxster.
    Well if you're buying based on looks, I have nothing for you... I can't comprehend buying for that reason. My wife thinks I'm nuts but stuff like means nothing to me. Sort of like symbols and photographs it's like a giant question mark as to the value of such things.
  • jlbljlbl Member Posts: 1,333
    Hey TG, discussion on turbo lag occurring in BMW twin turbo engines or other modern turbos has erupted sometimes in the Forums. Do you notice any lag with your 135i?

Regards,
    Jose
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    There's a back seat in the 1? :surprise:
    Hmm....funny that BMW hasn't adjusted their Canadian prices with the same decisive swiftness! :confuse:
    "I don't care particularly about the rear seat because with the 1 I'm going to have to keep my 1993 Infiniti G20 for winters anyway."

Why are you even looking at the 1-series if you don't need a back seat? Besides a used Corvette, you could also get a used Lotus or Porsche. Or how about a used Acura NSX!?!?

Take the backseat out of the equation, and there are just so many cool cars out there to choose from.
    Hey, it's my friend José!
    There is NO turbo lag with this engine. The debate is absurd. Often, when an automatic transmission is equipped, the transmission "lag" that is inherent in the hunt for the correct gear is confused with turbo lag. My 135i is equipped with a manual tranny and I know through experience with this car that there is no turbo lag at all.

Nice to hear from you!!

TM
    I actually like the way the 1 looks and drives. I can afford $38K, but it just sticks in my craw for that car. I also have to drive an STI- it's getting panned by a lot of automotive pubs now, but it would be the perfect car for my environment and I could get rid of my beater.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    While the 135i must be an amazing car to drive, (like tagman says) don't discount the 128i. The 230hp N52 isn't a bottomless torque pit like the 300 hp N54, with a 6 - speed stick BMW claims 0 - 60 mph time of 6.1 seconds for the 128i. While I haven't driven a 1 series, I have driven similarly equipped e90 sedans (328xiA & 335xiA). You just have to plant the throttle a little further down to get to the engine's sweet spot.

jlbl: Like I said above, I haven't driven a 135i, but have driven a 335xiA. Now the 335xiA was the heavier 3 series sedan body, hampered by the extra weight (and efficiency loss) of all wheel drive, and (normally, but not in this case) power sapping slushbox (automatic). The car was also very green (it had less than 2000 miles on it). I can tell you that turbo lag is non-existent in this car. It pulls like a small block V8. You won't be dissapointed.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Just curious, why would you get rid of your "beater" with the STI and not with the 1 series?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

4wd
    Where do you live?

We've beat the whole AWD vs. RWD thing to death (and almost got kicked off town hall) on the 3 series boards a few years back. The STI while AWD, comes with summer performance tires. You'll have to swap them out for a set of winter tires anyway if you want any kind of snow traction. With the 1 series, you get RWD performance. You put a set of winter wheels & tires on it for a few months a year. Between the DTC (dynamic traction control) & Stability control in the 135i (coupled with proper winter tires) you'll have no problem getting around in the winter (perhaps your only setback will be ground clearance).

Your tires are the only part of the car that physically have contact with the road. FWD, RWD, or AWD, your tires make a huge difference.

AWD may help you start, but when it comes to emergency braking and evasive maneuvers the extra weight hampers your car's ability.

Also think of tires as shoes. Do you have one pair of shoes for work, the gym, hiking, and formal occasions? No.

I live in CT. There's a reason that rally cars are 4wd. RWD with snows < FWD with snows < 4WD with snows.

Oh and the curb weight on the STI is 3,395 lbs, the porky little 1 is 3373 lbs. Not much of a difference.
    Living in CT where they don't salt the roads (you guys get sand which is much better for the enviornment), the AWD with snows will definitely help you out.

The STI isn't cheap either though.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    Why are you even looking at the 1-series if you don't need a back seat? Besides a used Corvette, you could also get a used Lotus or Porsche. Or how about a used Acura NSX!?!?

Agreed; I'd be looking at an Elise, a Boxter S, a 350Z, and yes, maybe even the Corvette- provided I looked good in a mullet.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

You're correct. The STI is not cheap either. I'll have to drive one and think about it. If I can get one for $35K that would be one thing, but I have the sneaking suspicion they're going to make me spend $2k for gold or silver BBS wheels, which is lighting money on fire as far as I'm concerned.
    "provided I looked good in a mullet."

I can't think of a reply, so I'll just wish you luck.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Hard to beat the practical 5 door shape of the STI. Just get winter tires for sure, because it comes with summer-only tread.
  • jlbljlbl Member Posts: 1,333
    (Reply to TM as well)

I can tell you that turbo lag is non-existent in this car. It pulls like a small block V8. You won't be disappointed.

As you may know, I drive currently a 335d Coupe equipped with a Steptronic auto tranny. I am a rocky regarding auto trannies. Thus, I was pondering whether the lag I feel in D/DS modes is due to the turbos or the tranny. I thank both or you for your answer.

When set in the M mode, I do not feel any lag with this 335d; yet the engine response to the throttle is not as fast as I expect when remembering that of the 6-speed manual 530d (one turbo) I drove before. However, the 335d is still a baby and as such it still is not fully broken in. Enjoying it everyday, however. It is really velcro-adhered to the road in any case.

This morning I saw a convertible 135i painted in light beige and I have to say, she was reeeeally good looking!!!! I was tempted to make a 180º turn to follow her for a while.

Regards,
    Jose
    This morning I saw a convertible 135i painted in light beige and I have to say, she was reeeeally good looking!!!! I was tempted to make a 180º turn to follow her for a while.

You are right... you would have only been able to follow her for a little while... until she pulled away from you. ;)
    Unless there is a babe in the car, I ain't doing no 180 (not even a 90) to follow any car! ;)
    Hey,
    Took delivery of my 128i convert today!. Drives freeken sooo nice, what an awesome car. Cant believe anyone would even need the 135. So much more power in this vehicle than my 325xi.
    In heaven, especially when passing those young girls, each ones head turning as i drive by. Too bad im not 20 years younger.
    See ya out there, gimme sun!
    :shades:
    Congratulations!! :D

Do me a favor, and post the specs on your car again... color combo, equipment, tranny...??? I want to be able to visualize your car when we're talking about it. Also, you'll definately have to post some pics when you get a chance.

TM
    Hey Tag,
    Black Saphire, with terracotta brown boston leather and burl wood trim. Also has the Chrome exterior accent flanging, really adds to the look! So cool right now, Im like the only one on the road with this vehicle, love the looks I get! Sure u know the feeling.
    Premimum and Cold Package.
    128 but shoot really fast, cant imangine needing a faster vehicle.
    Auto with Steptronic
    blue tooth, heated seats, etc. Drives so nice really fun drive.
    btw, how do you post a pic, would love to.
    See ya on the road Tag!
    bski
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    It pulls like a small block V8.

I have a small-block V-8 in a 2006 Chevy Impala SS and it is one sweet engine: fabulous, endless torque combined with a sensational exhaust note. Truly sublime. Chevy has done a tremendous job with this car in containing torque steer but there is still a little if you really step on it, unlike the 135i. However, to make up for it the Chevy Impala SS has a capacious back seat and the trunk is 18.6 cubic feet, which makes it a tremendous car for touring and long trips. Being a FWD car, it is also better on icy or snowy roads that a RWD.
    Congrats on your car! BEst of luck to you!

Thanks nyc! Yeah awesome being able to turn all those necks. Today went to the driving range and when I came back there was a crowd around my car.
    btw, i really wish i had bought a chevy impala SS....NOT!
    later :)
    btw, i really wish i had bought a chevy impala SS....NOT!

Yeah... I caught that, too... LOL.

Posting a pic? Well, you need to select a hosting site, such as imageshack.us, and upload your pictures, and then copy to the forum.

First, take your pics.
    Then, save your pics to your own computer somewhere, perhaps in "my documents", and then "my pictures".
    Next, make sure you are registered to a hosting site, such as imageshack.us
    Then, upload your pics from your computer to the site... This will be easier than it sounds, as the site will have an upload option, and then you "browse" to your pics and select one at a time to upload. Again, easier than you think. Most importantly, is that your upload is at a small enough size for the forum space provided... usually select a resolution that is 640 x 480 or less.
    Once uploaded, find the direct adress property of the picture you want to use. After uploading, click on the photo you want to display in the forum.
    Once you see it at the correct size, you are all set.
    After that, you can right click on the correctly displayed photo from the hosting site and then left click on "properties", at the bottom of the list. A properties window will appear.
    Copy the information in the URL Address section of the Properties window.
    Paste that same information into the "message" that you are posting on Edmunds.
    Then highlight that same information and select "Img" from the buttons just below the message section.
    At that point, you should "preview" instead of post your message, to make sure it is displaying as you like. If it displays properly, then complete you message with test or additional pics and then preview again, and then finally post it!!

I hope I have not forgotten something. Sounds horrible, but it's really not that bad once you get used to it.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask. good luck.

TM
    Hey bruski2,
    Saw your car at the "other" location. Very nice indeed. Don't post here on my account, unless you want to do so for others...

Your car looks great... congrats again!

TM
    Hey Tag,
    Yeah I just found that other site and saw your a member. Much better site. Oh yeah thanks for the upload instructions, thats how I was able to upload.
    Thanks for the compliment. See ya there.
    peace.
    bski
  • bmlexusbmlexus Member Posts: 755
    may i know which other site?
  • dclurkerdclurker Member Posts: 57
    Deleted :shades:
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    Would I be crazy to trade in the automatic? How much of a financial hit do you think I'd take?

Purchase in haste, regret at your leisure.
    You'll get well and truly hosed trading inan almost new car. Maybe try to sell it yourself. You might only lose $2000 to $4000.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• dclurkerdclurker Member Posts: 57
    Yeah, you're right. That's why I deleted the message. I already know the answer.
  • sjaievesjaieve Member Posts: 252
    Why anyone would compare a Chevy Impala SS to a 135i or 335i is beyond me :P

I am not a BMW fan but one thing for sure is the 1 series is going to be a hit for BMW. Good luck to you all guys, the 1 series is a sweet ride.
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Here is a statement and review from Autospies regarding 335 v. 135:

Which Is The Better Car? 2008 BMW 135i vs. 335i Review

After testing BMW 135i and 335i coupes back-to-back, I can reveal that there are only two good reasons to purchase the smaller, cheaper car.

Either you need a track day machine or you're an idiot. Otherwise, spend the extra bucks and buy the 335i coupe. The 335i coupe is more attractive, more enjoyable to drive, holds its value better and offers far more real road usability than the 135i.

I will only know after first-hand drive but it's interesting some of the irregularities put forth regarding the 1'er. Can this really be the case?... perhaps only TagMan can help here!

link title

Regards,
    OW
    As a former e90 owner, I don't see the the 335 as useful, even remotely attractive or in any way superior to the 1 series. Perception and reality of experience. The 3 just isn't fun.