Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

2001 Chevy S-10 transmission leaked all the fluid.

localmover707localmover707 Posts: 5
edited May 2015 in Chevrolet
I bought my first 2001 Chevy s10 4cyl. extra cab, 150,000 miles ,automatic about 5 months ago and the transmission leaked all the fluid, started to lose a little power & smoke started to appear from trans. fluid leaking on exhaust pipe! some one recommended me a trans. shop so i I took it........ they told me i need to reconstruct the whole transmission.$2,300- $2,800 :0 for parts and labor..... They thought it might be the seal, pump or the cylinder head?? should I get the whole tyranny rebuilt or try to get it repaired? I LOVE THE WAY MY CHEVY DRIVES, I have to roll with the punches at this time & try rescue trucky! any help/comments? thnx- josh- 5-15-15

Answers

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,490
    So did you replace the lost fluid? How did the transmission behave after that? Maybe all you need is a re-seal. I'd get a second opinion for sure, but first, top up the transmission and see what's up.
  • thanks for the reply! the transmission shop filled it backup w/ trans. fluid and said i could drive home about 5 miles to my place but it would eventually leak it all out.... sure enough it leaked all. They charged me $100 for the lift, inspection and fluid.... :/ Chevy is sitting on my drive way w/ pan underneath and has not been moved-
  • they were guessing it was the pump or cylinder head? not the seal.....
  • transmission would loose power on first, they said the fluid was low that's why first would slow start...
  • localmover707localmover707 Posts: 5
    edited May 2015
    Second opinion on 2001 Chevy S10 sounds like a good Idea! Thanks Mr. Shiftright !
    anyone have more Ideas/ comments?
    hope you all have a good weekend!
    thnx!