Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW X3

Comments

• Options
    hbouhbou Member Posts: 13
    Thanks Saugatak and Jamesw7 for your feedback, I appreciate your input. I think at this point we are leaning more towards the X3, but still not sure. :-( Don't really need all the extra room in the MDX as it is just the 2 of us. The fact that the X3 comes in a manual is a huge selling point for us. It's just more fun! Thanks again
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,438
    you're not alone my friend. While we're caucasions, my Dad owns a Plumbing Supply House (I work for him) and after work we look like we've just stepped out of a war zone. He's more than financially able to aquire certain vehicles, but over the years has been turned away from dealerships who "don't test drive cars at night." and so forth. I'm actually contacting DiFeo on our X5 inquiry later tonight.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    but I think you do need to make a half decent effort to dress the part before you go into a certain establishment. Like for example, if I wore a t-shirt and cutoffs and walk into a 5-star restaurant, I think the place has every right to refuse service. Afterall, people can't read minds or know the balance of your bank account. Your appearance is all they've got to go on. Just my .02.
  • Options
    ulepulep Member Posts: 63
    I know that image and first impressions are very important. I went there wearing what i wore in my office that day. But when you just turned 25 but you look 21. they always think that youre just a high school brat who doesnt have anything better to do but look at cars in showrooms. what do they want me to do, wear a tuxido before i buy a car?
        Anyway i think that's enough with the drama, I have to take back what i said about Difeo not answering my email. They just wrote to me earlier(post #427). still very profesional and helpful..(waiting for my check from BMW(J/K):-)). Guess im not going to get the Aero kit(too expensive)..
  • Options
    gardencargardencar Member Posts: 293
    I tried to be objective so as not to offend any X3 aficionados, while at the same time posting something that might be helpful to someone out there. I believe that's why we have these forums. Posters like you encourage more diverse viewpoints so that the undecided can gain some valuable insights and make better decisions.

And, I agree with you, the X3 and the RX 330 are two very different cars, like being thrilled at an amusement park or pampered in a spa. In the end, they both serve to help relieve the stresses of the day.

Another thing, no doubt you will enjoy driving your new X3, because like you said, its fun factor is WAY up there.
  • Options
    dk3307dk3307 Member Posts: 8
    I am thinking about ordering a X3 on European Delivery and vacation in Germany for about 7-10 days driving the X3 there. Can anyone tell me his experience or give me any suggestions and recommendation? Is it a good thing to do? Is there really any acutal saving?
  • Options
    kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    dk3307 - I believe there is a European delivery thread. Search for it. A number of Edmunds members have posted there. From what I understand from that forum, it's a blast.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Never noticed it before:

European Delivery: Experiences, Advice & Info

And here's a BMW specific one:

BMW Owners: European Delivery

Steve, Host
  • Options
    harplayrharplayr Member Posts: 70
    Maybe I’m not a picky as some here, and I can't remember the last time I squeezed my dashboard so I'm not going to focus on the "Sharmin Test". I drove the X3 and absolutely loved it.

I currently have a 95 325I and found the X3’s handling to be almost as good, and even more fun to drive. My dealer was kind enough to hand me the keys and just said “Bring it back in an hour”.

During the test drive I took some highway and side streets. I aimed for every pothole I could find, and found the ride was more than acceptable. Performance while changing lanes, passing, on / off ramps, and highway driving was great. It was a bit more bouncy than my 325, but not jarring or the least bit uncomfortable. It seemed that no matter what I threw at it, it just said “give me more”. The driving position and visibility were good, the seats were comfortable, and the cabin was quiet. I can say without a doubt that it will be great for a long trip. I have tested several other SUVs and until the X3 I haven’t been in one that I really liked enough to plop down a bunch of $$$.

This car really fits my life style and needs. My wife and I are avid cyclists, and the built in bike rack is what made us run out to the dealer to look at this car. The test drive exceeded all of our expectations. The decision was a no-brainer for us, and we immediately put in an order for one.

This car may not provide all things for all people, some are more luxurious, some are bigger, some may have really cool bumpers, but I haven’t driven one yet that out handles the X3 or meets MY set of needs any better.
  • Options
    sopecreeksopecreek Member Posts: 203
    Did it have sport package?
  • Options
    Sopecreek,

No the demo X3 didn't have the sports package. After the test drive I decided that I would not order the sports package. I felt the ride was about where I wanted it as it was. I did order the premium package, adaptive xenon lights, winter package and nav system.
  • Options
    zmanzman Member Posts: 200
    I live in rural New York (110 miles north of NYC). I signed up (actually twice) on the BMW website to get X3 information for test drives, but I've never heard from them. Edmund's says there are no dealers within 50 miles of my zip code. Anyone know if there are X3's available (preferably 6-speed) for test driving near Albany, Poughkeepsie, Danbury, Hartford?

Also, I checked on the EPA website, and while the fuel economy is about the same, (they only showed the 3.0 model for some reason) the emissions for the X3 manual are a lot worse than for the automatic (rating of 6 as opposed to 8--at least twice as many pounds of smog producing emissions). Any idea why this is?

Finally, is this thing really 5000 pounds and yet gets the same gas mileage as the Subaru Forester XT?
  • Options
    mamgtmamgt Member Posts: 67
    Message#437: I felt exactly the way you did and ordered an X3 aswell! I went to test drive several times and each time I liked it more. I was actually starting to wonder whether those negative reviews came from people who were diving a some how faulty vehicle or I was just "falling in love"?? Glad it was't just me.
  • Options
    bullardohiobullardohio Member Posts: 23
    I too liked my afternoon with the X3. It drives great, & is seriously making it tough to decide between it & the 330xi. I like sedans, so the 330xi is my first choice. However, the X3 has great responsiveness, took all the nasty (& wet) roads great, & the xdrive really tracks well. I know they are different vehicles, but fortunately both drive like a BMW!
  • Options
    tponchaktponchak Member Posts: 25
    The dealer who ignored you lost out. Goes to show, don't judge a book by it's cover.

Good for you in your subsequent approach.
  • Options
    Saugatak, nice comparison between the MDX and X3. Fair and balanced, without the usual bashing.

Saugatak, now that you live in L.A. (I think), you should check out the L.A. Auto Show. The X3 interior IS of the "soft touch" that you so desire.
  • Options
    Thanks for the kudos, gardencar.

I enjoy reading ALL of the perceived positives and negatives about the X3, given those opinions are fair, balanced, and rational.

In regards to the Aero Kit, thanks for the info everyone, but I'm not going to consider it. I love the look of the car as is and the bumpers don't bother me at all. I think they give the car a more utility/versatile look.
  • Options
    Nice review for sure, interesting reading.
  • Options
    You can't go wrong there. I really like both the X3 and 330XI. The main reason that I went with the X3 is the ability to carry my bikes inside. My wife and I have very expensive road bikes ($3,500 each) and we feel that they are much safer inside rather than on the roof.

The 330XI may be my next car.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is looking to interview someone in the Portland, OR metro area who owns an SUV and is feeling quite proud of its capabilities in the city's unusual weather. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Friday, January 9.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    saugataksaugatak Member Posts: 488
    If I bashed the X3, it's b/c I have to tell ya, I was a little disappointed. The idea of an SUV with room and 3-series like handling got me really excited. This car did not live up to expectations in terms of power and the interior amenities for the price offered.

I was frankly a little surprised that BMW even offered the 184 HP 2.5 engine for the X3. Seems like way too little power for a 4,000 pound plus car.

As glenberk pointed out quite correctly, there seems to be a variation of "really hard" plastics (knock on wood) to the "squishy" plastics, and I think the X3 falls somewhere in between, leaning more towards the "really hard" end of the spectrum. Perhaps the X3 I looked at was a pre-production demo model. I'll take another look at the X3 when the actual production models come over and post my review after I check it out.

Plenty of people on this board have said they think the interior materials are OK and many others on this board have said they thought it was low quality. It seems the car mags are also split, with some ripping the quality and others saying it's OK.

I have not seen a z4 interior so don't know how it compares, but I have looked at a 3-series interior and thought it was better material, more tastefully done, etc.

I say we adopt glenberk's very diplomatically worded suggestion and agree to disagree on the interior and let everyone form their own opinions. Keeping on talking about squeezing plastics and the "charmin" jokes makes me feel like the clown in a running comedy and I am getting the strong sense that everyone else is kind of fed up with this aspect of the discussion.
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    i live in the hartford area. last weekend went over to the 'mini' dealer so my wife could check them out. saw a couple of x3's parked outside the bimmer building. i'll stop by tomorrow, will be close by anyway, and let you know what they have. it will be a quick look, since it is supposed to be about 5 degrees above.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    jjmanjjman Member Posts: 77
    the x3 needs a lower end version just like any other model out there. the 2.5 should run just as well for the x3 as the the 3.0 does for the x5. I'll bet the 2.5 will be the best seller like it is for the 3 series. Everytime I go to a dealership there nothing but 325s sitting around.
  • Options
    bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    are they? So 184hp is probably more like 200 - 220 for other manufacturers. That puts the 2.5 on par with others such as the RX330, XC90, Pilot, 4-Runner, etc since those are slightly heavier than the X3 2.5.
  • Options
    Guess we'll have to see some 0 to 60 stats. I think the 2.5 engine is fine for 325, it's a smaller car. I felt the 2.5 engine was a little weak for the 525, so for a larger and heavier vehicle, I thought the engine would really strain.

I was kind of hoping that the 3.0 would be the lower end engine and the BMW valvetronic v8 would be the upper end engine.

In any case, the upside with a 2.5 is you'll have an easier time obeying speed limits!
  • Options
    Thanks. I'll await your word. Yes, It'll be cold. As I said, I'm especially interested in a 2.5; 6-speed.

The Mudge
  • Options
    tps3tps3 Member Posts: 17
    You wanted 0 - 60 stats?

X3 2.5 is 8.6 to 60 for the stick and 9.3 for the auto... versus 7.6/7.9 for the 3.0.

Versus 8.2 seconds for the MDX or 7.5 for the Touareg (v8), and 8.5 for the X5 3.0 (automatic). Or 8.8 for the XC90 (T6). Or 7.1 for the FX35.
  • Options
    liamjohnliamjohn Member Posts: 6
    this is a car build by a BMW subcontractor.........any concerns??
  • Options
    liamjohnliamjohn Member Posts: 6
    built......excuse me.
  • Options
    While you cannot rewrite history, you have 30 minutes to make any changes or fixes after you post a message. Just click on the Edit button that follows your message after you post it.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    those stats sound about right. the x3 2.5 sure is a dog in the automatic though. the combo of weaker engine, taller automatic gearing and power suck of the auto tranny is too tough to overcome.

another thing to keep in mind is that BMW inline 6 has a very smooth torque curve so it has a fast start, which helps boost its 0-60 times. so you may get a quicker jump but if you're on the highway going 60 and want to pick up some speed to pass, that's when you'll feel the HP limitations.
  • Options
    fritz32fritz32 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone else think the X3 just looks like a scaled down X5? What happened to the cutting edge design? The driving experience is great but I wish BMW had put a little more into the overall design of the vehicle.
  • Options
    "Does anyone else think the X3 just looks like a scaled down X5?"

I think it looks like a scaled down BMW, just as much as a 911 looks like a scaled down Cayanne S.

Seriously, I think the curves are different, and while it is in the BMW family it does not look like about 3 feet was just cut out of the X5.
  • Options
    I would be interested to see what you have to say about the Z4 interior. I loved the layout and looks when it came out and when I saw that the X3 was very similar, it was a plus for me.

Anyway, I agree to disagree on the interior. Just as you say, Saugatak, some like it, some dis-like it. The "Charmin" debate is wearing on me and makes me feel foolish poking and prodding the interior at the Auto Show while everyone else is playing with the radio, kicking the tires, checking out the cargo space, or analyzing the exterior styling.

I promise to everyone that this will be my last post on the X3 interior. On to the next topic.........
  • Options
    I ordered the X3 3.0, due in early March. One of my greatest concerns is that the 2.5 and 3.0 litre engines that BMW uses in most of their models (including the X3, of course) are due for an upgrade in power and mileage efficiencies.

Any info or comments on this?
  • Options
    Somewhere along the line an upgrade is due. Valvetronic technology is going into engines bigger and engines smaller.

Since Valvetronic gives an increase in performance and gas mileage at the same time, it would seem to be a no-brainer from a corporate standpoint to incorporate this technology into their best selling line of vehicles.
  • Options
    The exterior of a car is personal taste, but I like what Bangle has done with the X3. It's 3-series like, but it has some subtle curves and lines in the sheet metal that give it a more interesting appearance than the 3-series IMO.

Problem with a radical design is that it usually doesn't last. Look at the PT Cruiser, sold like hotcakes at first, but now it doesn't move off the lots.

I think in light of the negative reaction to Bangle's 7 and 5 series redesigns (I know some people didn't like it but I think it's safe to say his designs were not universally acclaimed), BMW wanted to play it safe with this SUV.

Also, there are certain design limitations with an SUV. In order to maximize internal space (which is a big reason lots of people get SUVs) you need to make it a box on wheels, which limits creative design.

I'm willing to accept a less creative design to get more space. My feeling is, if I have to accept limitations in handling and gas mileage, I might as well get the benefit of the extra space.
  • Options
    The styling is not exciting--no question, but if the mechanics are sophisticated and appropriate, the conservative approach to style is justifiable.

The Mudge
  • Options
    Any idea what the invoice price is for an X3 2.5 via European Delivery? Thanks in advance...
  • Options
    rudikamprudikamp Member Posts: 34
    X-3 6 Speed $ 28,100 -- pick up Munich
  • Options
    Rudikamp- that is MSRP, I am looking for invoice, but thanks anyway...
  • Options
    I've even tried this site http://eurobuyers.com which usually has all european delivery prices with invoice including options.
    About exterior, the x3 doesn't have as many interesting lines as the x5 but then I don't really like the x5's flat butt. I think the x3 does have cleaner lines overall
  • Options
    Invoice pricing is right here:

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/overview.aspx?modelid=11082&amp- ;src=vip

2004 BMW X3

MSRP Price Range $30,300 - $36,300
    Invoice Price Range $27,735 - $33,195

but for euro delivery is not out yet
  • Options
    I wondered what the euro-pricing gyrations were all about. Seems like we had this discussion before - we have X3 invoice pricing right here (2.5L).

Is there some other number y'all are looking for that I missed skimming posts?

Steve, Host
  • Options
    ulepulep Member Posts: 63
    Did anyone here who ordered the x3 got their vin or production number already? I ordered the x3 at the last week of november but i still haven't got mine. i read from the other forum that a guy got his delivery already.
  • Options
    lfeiwellfeiwel Member Posts: 10
    ordered late nov 3.0 manual,white, terracotta, privacy glass, heated front seats, moonroof. car thru production as of 1/3, not yet shipped. Got vin quickly, like within 1 week or ordering
  • Options
    tps3tps3 Member Posts: 17
    lfeiwel - when did you order? Also, is there anyone around who was in Feb production cycle that got their VIN? Any other production stories... are folks hearing that stuff is coming out on time?

Thanks
  • Options
    Steve,

Prices are cheaper if you do a European Delivery (pick up in Munich). For instance the X3 2.5 European Delivery MSRP price is $28,180 vs. $30,300 for regular MSRP. I am trying to find out what the European Delivery invoice price is. My guesstimates are in the $25,800-$26,200 range, but would love an exact # so I can negotiate better...
  • Options
    lfeiwellfeiwel Member Posts: 10
    I ordered car 11/28 from nj dealer