Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Financing options with negative equity on current auto loan

nejj22nejj22 Member Posts: 2
edited May 2015 in General
Hi all,

I'm making payments on a 2010 Toyota Corolla with 80,000 miles. I originally leased then bought because millage overage fees at the end of the lease were killer.

A year later, I really don't want this car and I worry about it holding up because it's taken a beating over the years. Unfortunately, I still owe about $10,000 with it's value around $6,000-$7,000.

My first question is can I secure a loan for another used car that will also pay off my negative equity? A local Toyota dealership told me they could only finance my negative equity through new or leaser loans. But I would be more than comfortable with another used car.

Example: I finance another used car for $10,000. I trade my car in for $7,000. The remaining $3,000 is added to my loan. So I end up taking out a loan for $13,000 plus interest, etc. Is that possible through used car dealerships or third parties? Also, where would I tend to find the best deal for my trade-in and rates for the new loan?

If need be I could put about $1,500 down, but I'd like to know my options first.

Thanks.

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    nejj22 said:

Hi all,

I'm making payments on a 2010 Toyota Corolla with 80,000 miles. I originally leased then bought because millage overage fees at the end of the lease were killer.

A year later, I really don't want this car and I worry about it holding up because it's taken a beating over the years. Unfortunately, I still owe about $10,000 with it's value around $6,000-$7,000.

My first question is can I secure a loan for another used car that will also pay off my negative equity? A local Toyota dealership told me they could only finance my negative equity through new or leaser loans. But I would be more than comfortable with another used car.

Example: I finance another used car for $10,000. I trade my car in for $7,000. The remaining $3,000 is added to my loan. So I end up taking out a loan for $13,000 plus interest, etc. Is that possible through used car dealerships or third parties? Also, where would I tend to find the best deal for my trade-in and rates for the new loan?

If need be I could put about $1,500 down, but I'd like to know my options first.

Thanks.

I doubt you could finance 130% of equity on a used car.. and, if you could, the rate would be astronomical..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• nejj22nejj22 Member Posts: 2
    Understood. What about 115% (1,500 owed). Possibly, I could pay the entire negative equity if I could pay the remaining that I don't have in cash with a 0 APR credit card.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    nejj22 said:

Understood. What about 115% (1,500 owed). Possibly, I could pay the entire negative equity if I could pay the remaining that I don't have in cash with a 0 APR credit card.

That's not a bad plan, if you are intent on trading out..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator