Options

Toyota 4Runner Accessories

Comments

• Options
    mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    The AutoMate ran $400 total including install.

They are made by one of the largest auto security companies. I think it's DEI, but not quite sure. I had one on another 4WD Toyota and it lasted 12 years without any problems.

It only took about 1 1/2 hours to put in. It comes with engine kill, glass sensors, motion detection & a few other goodies I can't recall.
  • Options
    alfster1alfster1 Member Posts: 273
    I think it is DEI, which also makes the Clifford alarms. I suppose that they are pretty comparable. The $400 price you mention is about as much as the Toyota RS3200 I believe, but I think I have seen it go for $262 online
  • Options
    4runnaway4runnaway Member Posts: 11
    I just purchased a 4runner 2wd Limited. It comes STANDARD with an alarm system. My dealer tried to tell me that it didn't and they charged me extra to install one. I was supposed to bring my car back in in a couple of days to have the alarm installed. While reading my manual at home, I saw that my car did, indeed, have an alarm already factory installed. I went outside and tested it, as instructed in the manual, and found that it did emit a loud, piercing alarm when tested. I went straight back to the dealer and got my money back. They then tried to tell me that they had installed it before I picked it up. What baloney! A tech from the service department had to come up there and tell them they were wrong. They gave me my refund. The funny thing is, I was watching a news program just a few days later and they had a consumer advocate on there who was warning car buyers to be aware of this very thing -- dealers charging you for alarms that come standard on your vehicle. Look at the factory price sticker that came on your vehicle. The alarm system will be on that sticker if you have the Limited model. It is called an Anti-Theft System with Engine Immobilizer. The dealer doesn't have to do a single thing to "enable" it to work. Don't pay twice for your alarm!
  • Options
    Has anyone put seat covers on seats with the side airbags inside them? I've seen that I can order seatcovers online made especially for these airbag seats, but I am wondering what they look like? Do they look like regular seat covers or is the area where the airbags are installed left open or what?
  • Options
    teridemnteridemn Member Posts: 15
    Thanks for the input....I did the research before picking the vehicle up. Yup...comes with an alarm system.
  • Options
    kheintz1kheintz1 Member Posts: 213
    There should also be decals (clear, with white lettering) on the front side windows which read: "THIS VEHICLE EQUIPPED WITH TOYOTA THEFT-DETERRENT SYSTEM". My '03 R4unner Limited has 'em. In addition, there should be a red colored theft-deterrent warning lamp on the center instrument console (near the digital clock) which blinks about every 10 seconds when the vehicle is parked, indicating the presence of the theft-deterrent system.
  • Options
    sacstate1sacstate1 Member Posts: 189
    'In addition, there should be a red colored theft-deterrent warning lamp on the center instrument console (near the digital clock) which blinks about every 10 seconds when the vehicle is parked, indicating the presence of the theft-deterrent system.'

That is for the engine immobilization system only. The icon flashes when you remove the key and therefore the 'connection' in the chip/key to activate the ignition lock.

I have not found any visible notifier that the 'alarm' is audibly activated.
  • Options
    There is no visible indicator that the alarm is "audibly" activated. I guess that's why you need to test it periodically.
  • Options
    aroutharouth Member Posts: 45
    Hello,

I am about to install a delphi satellite XM radio in my 4runner. I have researched this and found out that with the 6disk cd changer you can't hook it up to your radio controls on the steering wheel. Apparantly on the single disk you can b/c there is an outlet or something. The 6disk cd changer uses that outlet from what I have gathered. So my question is is there like an adaptor or something to allow you to be able to hook a Delphi XM satellite radio to the steering wheel controls when you have the 6disk?

Thanks
  • Options
    tweakertweaker Member Posts: 30
    Has anyone successfully removed the rear cargo shelf? Can you briefly tell me how to do it?
    Thanks
  • Options
    toyboxxtoyboxx Member Posts: 150
    You can remove it easily. There are two bolts to take the trim off on the floor behind the rear seats and that also releases the shelf.

The problem is that you will be left with that piesce of trim that you unbolted sticking up about two inches off the floor. The piece of trim that came with trucks that did not get the shelf cargo system was a FEW hundred dollars. I still removed my system anyway and I'll just wait until I can get this piece of trim used to finish off the floor in the future.
  • Options
    To: toyboxx
    Thanks for the info. Went right out and removed it easily as you said. Looks pretty decent but could use the other trim. DO you happen to know the Toyota part# for this? Also, Do you know if a cargo mat for the non-shelf version will now fit - Seems like it should.
    Thanks
  • Options
    I think I may have the part number at home and will post if I find it. But it didn't take that long to find it at the Toyota parts counter. I took the part number and got a quote from a dealership on the internet known for their low prices and the trim was still hundreds. I'll get the part # and cost as soon as I can.

About the cargo mat, I don't know. I have the Toyota carpeted mat but I assume that is not what you are talking about.
  • Options
    lynnbrlynnbr Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I will get a new 2004 4runner without DRL. I want to install it by myself. Question: where to buy it and how to install it?

Thanks,
  • Options
    bigfurbigfur Member Posts: 649
    My friend has a 97 4Runner. He wants to give it about a 3" body lift, but cant find one anywhere and we hear they dont make one. Why is that???
  • Options
    boston4rboston4r Member Posts: 7
    I was quoted $675 for AM7 (AutoMate ?) alarm system with remote start for a 4Runner I recently
    bought. I could have negotiated the price if I had
    thought about it before purchasing it.
    Is this price negotiable now that the dealer has
    to do the installation and all?

Second part of the question is, will the remote start affect the warranty on the engine?
  • Options
    jefejefe Member Posts: 15
    Anyone have more information on the supposed optional Turn signal mirrors? I would really like to have them on the soon to be mine '04 Sport V8 for towing purposes, but my dealer insists that Toyota does not provide them on ANY cars. (I thought the Sequoia had them?) Anyway, since their parts department says Toyota doesn't have them, I am thinking of trying other dealers.
  • Options
    search for MUTH signal mirrors.
  • Options
    baki44baki44 Member Posts: 24
    I like to have "side signal mirrors" for my 4Runner, I'm living in Orlando and so far I talked to local 3-Toyota dealers and all they are saying same things..."not available by Toyota" and Muth signal mirrors will not be covered by original warranty...
  • Options
  • Options
    "toyboxx"
    Thank you for the web address, but I don't understand why the Orlando Toyota dealers said "they can not get it" ???
  • Options
    kheintz1kheintz1 Member Posts: 213
    Are these mirrors color-coded to the vehicle's actual color, and are they the same size and shape as the factory mirors?? Also, are they made under the Toyota name or are they aftermarket? Thanks.
  • Options
    I think it is only the insides. You keep your housing. They are not toyota stuff (I'm sure they are the Muth ones) just being sold and installed by some Toyota dealers.
  • Options
    glenski01glenski01 Member Posts: 44
    By first of next week I will be the proud owner of an 04 4Rnr Sport, Stratosphere Mica. What are the best quality and looking tailight guards, only know of Wagg, are they the best?
  • Options
    glenski01glenski01 Member Posts: 44
    I see from the postings talk about no extra port for the XM radio unless you have single disc CD. The posting's talk about the 6 CD changer port, but are you speaking about the 6CD in dash unit from the factory, or the 6CD changer, an dealer accessory that mounts in the console?

I just have to have XM radio, will have in dash factory 6 disc CD.

Thanks....
  • Options
    A couple of months ago, this forum answered my question about the availability of a keypad entry for the 4 Runner. I have found a national accessories store in my city that will install this but they say that they won't know if it will fit until they remove the door panel to see how much room is there for the keypad. My question is this: Has anyone installed a keypad entry in the 2003/04 4 Runner? Was your experience positive?
    Thanks!
  • Options
    boston4rboston4r Member Posts: 7
    I need your experience/opinion on getting alarm system for 04 4Runner SR5.

Out of the many options, I'm considering Toyota's RS3200plus
    or AutoMate7. I'm seriously considering AutoMate7
    because I can add remote start to it. Will this mess up my factory remote with key less entry system?
    Only reason to keep the factory remote is that I can open the rear window with it.
    If I go with the RS3200 system, dealer can program the factory remote so I wont loose any
    functionality. But, no remote start with rs3200 system.. hmm..

I'm going with the AutoMate7 w/ remote start if dont hear from anyone on any trouble they encountered.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    feralferal Member Posts: 23
    Does the spoiler for the new generation of 4runner do anything or is it completely cosmetic? Didnt the previous generation's spoiler help direct air over the window to keep it clean?
  • Options
    The spoiler isn't purely cosmetic. It is pretty functional in helping to keep the rear cargo window cleaner than in 4Runners (or other vehicles) without one.
  • Options
    md4runnermanmd4runnerman Member Posts: 72
    I don't know if this has been addressed but I don't have time to scroll thru hundreds of messages. I have a cargo net that came with my new 2004 Limited. For the life of me I cannot figure out the correct usage of this net and what hooks are intended for its use. I have tried a few things but nothing seems quite right. Can anyone explain to me the correct way to hook up the net? Is it supposed to be a "pouch net" if you know what I mean?
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I did a Discussion Search in here and didn't see any instructional posts. Help!

Steve, Host
  • Options
    I think 2 different type of CARGO NET available. One they call "Spider net" which you need double deck cargo to use it, the other one is you can hang on your rear cargo area. I think you got the spider one, spend 30 dollars and buy the other one.
  • Options
    The pouch net attaches by clips at the bottom to the tie-down hoops on the floor near the rear gate. The top two hoops on the pouch net slip over the star shaped knobs on the rear sides about the level of the bottom of the rear window.

Hope that helped.
  • Options
    It makes you wonder why Toyota didn't include both the Spider and Pouch Nets. I've been trying to use my Spider net as a Pouch new, but to no avail. I thought I was going crazy when I couldn't make it into a pouch. In the end, I did go crazy! LOL. I guess I'll have to go out and buy a pouch net.
  • Options
    I got the "pouch" net with mine but I think they ripped me on the spider net. I have the double deck cargo system and I tought the spider net was supposed to come with it. Oh well, I actually will use the pouch net a whole lot more than I would the spider net.
  • Options
    That's odd. I also have the double deck cargo system (which I rarely use), but received the spider net only.
  • Options
    I got my 4Runner with Spider net, I didn't like it, very hard to use. I bought new pouch net $29 much better than Spider net.
  • Options
    I was wondering if the Homelink option can be dealer installed. I have not found it in any of the online toyota parts catalog.

I would love to have it my future 4Runner without special ordering.
  • Options
    md4runnermanmd4runnerman Member Posts: 72
    I do have the double deck storage in my vehicle. I will have to check my net again. I probably have the spider net type, but it seem when I try to stretch it out between the floor holders and the star shaped things on the side panels it just wont fit. It seems like it is ready to break or something by the time I have hooked the two clamps on the net to the floor hooks.
  • Options
    I added it myself and it was VERY easy. The part can be had for ~$80. t4r.org and do a search.
  • Options
    iontrapiontrap Member Posts: 139
    Now I don't have to ask that question!
  • Options
    Thanks Toyboxx!!!
  • Options
    btw, If you have the spider net and the DD cargo system I believe the Spider net hooks completly onto the cargo system and nowhere on the floor. Maybe that is why you are having trouble hooking it up. I believe there are hooks or latches on the underside of the shelf that the spider net attaches to.
  • Options
    Any Idea what Invoice really is on the VIP alarm system? My dealer is saying $250. I am saying BS. Is it closer to $200 or what edmunds is saying of $170+. I know the $250 is off, but I am not to sure that Edmunds has it right either.
  • Options
    Actually what is the Difference between the two below.

S6 Security System Upgrade (PIO) • SR5, Sport
    (Available Only in Gulf States) (N/A Limited) (N/A w/Alarm System-PN) (Std. w/Option Pkg. A-AO & C-CO)
    Invoice 239.00
    Retail 359.00

PN Alarm System • SR5, Sport
    (N/A w/Security System-V5 or Security System Upgrade-S6) (Std. Limited)
    Invoice 176.00
    Retail 220.00
  • Options
    linhsylinhsy Member Posts: 7
    Hi...I Have a SR5 V6 4Runner, does anyone know that there is a TRD SuperChager for V6 2004?...is TRD engineering team planning to design one for V6 2004?...I really want to purchase one if it is or will be available?...

Thanks!
  • Options
    At the current time, there is only a supercharger for the V8 4Runner. Toyota has not made any mention of making it also available for the V6. Keep your fingers crossed :)
  • Options
    Has anyone succeeded in finding if there is a Billet grille for the 03-04 4Runner? I have seen one from Jaos (Jaos.com), but I am not crazy about their particular grille.
  • Options
    I have seen the VIP security system for the 03-04 4Runner retail for $210.70 (Toyotapartspeople.com) That is the cheapest that I have seen it for, but you would still have to have it installed. Has anyone purchased the upgrade separately and then installed it themself? Please tell about the installation :)
This discussion has been closed.