2024 Chevy Blazer EV lease from Bayway Auto Group Click here

2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee lease from Mark Dodge Click here

2025 Ram 1500 Factory Order Discounts from Mark Dodge Click here
Options

Chrysler Pacifica: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Options
    steelydan0613steelydan0613 Member Posts: 144
    Yes, riosa, I use a spray leather conditioner, you can find it at an auto parts store, I have also used a cream leather conditioner that you would use on leather shoes.

The point is , you definitely want to keep the leather supple and moist, otherwise it dries out and cracks.

Finally, I have even seen some Armor-All type products that claim to be good on leather as well as everything else...rubber, vinyl, etc. I have steered clear of those, I use those on the dash, door panels, etc....

Hope this helps, cracked leather is the first sign of an older car!
  • Options
    nelson33nelson33 Member Posts: 100
    I've always enjoyed Meguiar's products. I use their "Gold Class" leather cleaner/conditioner. Although, the manual says you don't need to condition Pac leather. Bullcrap. It comes in a spray bottle and it's easy to apply. It sometimes leaves a bit of an over shine which seems to be excess cream. I just let it sit, then wipe off the excess w. a dry cloth. You're right about keeping it moist. I thought I kept up w. my Intrepid leather, but apparently not enough for the driver's seat cracked badly. You could probably argue that the Intrepid's leather was not a top quality hide. I know the Pac's is a step up from the Trep. However, despite all that, I am noticing stress creases in the leather. Driver's seat only.
  • Options
    rodutrodut Member Posts: 343
    If I would buy a Pacifica now, I would buy it with leather chairs. I was looking a couple of weeks ago at a 2006 Touring with cloth seats, and I couldn't believe how crappy the cloth is in 2006 !

My 2005 Touring has some very nice fluffy cloth on the seats. The 2006 Touring I saw had some Garbage Motors quality cloth ... some kind of plastic tissue ... I don't know how to call it. The last time I rented a Garbage Motors it had exactly the same kind of cloth, and my back boiled during a relatively short drive from Vancouver to Seattle. I think it was a Malibu. I thought Pacifica was higher class than that !
  • Options
    riosariosa Member Posts: 4
    Thanks. I will buy it, and start using it tomorrow.

I want to keep my Pacifica like new.

Riosa

;)
  • Options
    Thanks, I will buy what you suggested, Meguiar's products. "Gold Class" leather cleaner/conditioner.

Riosa

;)
  • Options
    bbqguidebbqguide Member Posts: 11
    What's been going on with your arbitration? Please don't tell me you might consider taking a "like vehicle" in trade! :lemon:
  • Options
    bean66bean66 Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone,
    I am seriously considering buying a 2005 Pacific FWD w/ 12K miles > asking price $17,600. Does this sound reasonable? From the forums this actually sounds low?? Also I have read a few people have had problems with it just cutting off while driving. It seems in perfect condition, Car Sense says no problems but, after reading statements here I am a little weary....any info. would be helpful.
  • Options
    nextar33nextar33 Member Posts: 1
    Wow. 17600 is a great price for a 2005 . Unless of course it has high mileage. I would loive that price if the car was under say 25000 miles and had no flaws. If this is the case, you would be crazey not to buy it.
  • Options
    mog4mog4 Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone, I need help BIGTIME. A few weeks ago I shut off my pacifica, removed the key and left the car. When I came back ALL of the dashboard lights, the radio and the heat were both on, it was like the car was in the auxillary position! I have to remove fuse #29 so as not to run the battery down! I have had the fuse box component replaced and that seemed to work until I took it to the dealer to have it reprogrammed. It went right back to the same lighting problem. The next thing to be replaced was the BMI and now I again have to take it to have the computer reset. The only thing that helps is if the #29 fuse is turned around and replaced. The car will completely shut off and I have all my dashboard lights. I am really confused as to what's going on...any ideas? Thanks in advance. P.S. I also have the major leak going on from the drivers door and I was wondering if maybe I have controls under the seat that maybe being shorted out.

Also, my hologram doesn't work or it works when it feels like it and the navigation is absolutely insane, when it's even on.
  • Options
    nelson33, I agree with you about the driver's seat leather. I think the leather is good, obviously the driver's seat gets the most wear, so it will look the worst in a few years.

I'm going to just buy some sort of slip on chair cover that doesn't look too cheesy and can be taken off for that special occasion.

Sonething cool looking like a T shirt cover with a picture of Lee Iacocca on it, or maybe those two guys in those "that thing got a Hemi? " commercials............... :shades:
  • Options
    my3rdrxmy3rdrx Member Posts: 167
    I just traded in my loaded 04 PAC (AWD with 20,600 miles) for an 06 Limited AWD and got $23,800 for it (plus a $5,000 rebate on the 06). So $17,600 for an 05 FWD with 12K is an excellent price!

Personally, I still love the car and have not had any of the problems that I've been reading here! Good luck!
  • Options
    nelson33nelson33 Member Posts: 100
    I'm trying to be a bit more diligent about leather care on the Pac. I've been cleaning/conditioning the seats every time I wash the car. I will also be more careful in the summer parking it outside in the sun. I'll be sure to use the windshield sun shades. The crease is pretty minimal, but I can't help but worry after what happened to my Intrepid's leather. I'm being more anal w. this car. I guess that's a good thing.

It's funny you mention the seat cover for I thought about getting one a couple of months back after the valet, at work, left a serious case of B.O. on the seat end of the leather. Let's just say on that particular day, he was "hygienically challenged". I started having "Seinfeld" BMW flashbacks. When I got home, I aired it out, cleaned the leather and finally got rid of the odor. For a moment there, I felt like I was bringing him home w. me. I made sure I aired myself out in the cold air too just in case. It was that bad. The next day, I didn't have the heart to talk to the guy, but thank God it hasn't happened since.

my3rdrx

I am enjoying the Pac as well. Mine has not been perfect, the problems seem to be mostly mild electrical problems. I've yet to take it in. It hasn't changed my opinion. From what I read here, and in other forums, the electrical system seems to be a weakness.

Doesn't seem like much has changed in 06, except for the chrome emblem addition to the tailgate door. I'm surprised they didn't find some more ponies. For the most part and for my driving habits, it's adequate. But sometimes, I do wish it had another 40-50 HP. Sometimes. Enjoy.
  • Options
    martins67martins67 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 05 Pacifica that leaks during the rain.The front drivers side and rear passengerside carpet gets soaked.I had this problem with my first 05 till they got me another,They could not fix it,now I have the same problem with this one.My carpet is so wet that when I pick up the rear floor mat it drips.Do you have wet carpet in the driver front or rear passenger?The only modification done to the car is a factory dvd system.Has anyone had this problem? If so how was it stopped?I park the car in my drive way and it does have a slight tilt (less than a foot of climbed for approx 30 feet) Any help would GREATLY be appreciatedPLEASE HELP.I like the car but tired of bailing water.
  • Options
    bbqguidebbqguide Member Posts: 11
    You say they "got you another"? Would you care to elaborate on THAT one? I'm waiting until after my arbitration hearing before I post a cumulative report on my Pacifica. Sounds like they need to find you yet "another".
  • Options
    martins67martins67 Member Posts: 2
    I bought an 05 Pacifica in Jan 05. I had it a few months and the front drivers side floor was getting wet,in the front and rear.It didn't matter if it was raining or not. I had taken it back to the dealer about 6 times before they called me on the final time and told me they could not fix the problem.They asked me to come and get my personal items out of the car that they were going to locate me another Pacifica.That took about a month .I finally got the new Pacifica,same color/everything.I have had this car almost a year, now this one is doing the same thing.I noticed the water in the front driver side floor and the rear driver side (passenger). It was so wet in the back that the floor mat was soaked.I have tried to dry the carpet but all the padding under the carpet is soaked also. When I mash down on the rear carpet ,water comes up around my fingers. I have called the dealership and they say that my car is the only one they have heard of doing this. I just want the water to stop,,I am NOT doing anything to the car.The car has just over 9k on it.If anyone has any information on this problem please let me know...I don't want to seem like I'm crazy for this to happen to two cars .I know the dealership will think this.Any help ? Please? Thank You
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 33,102
    Well, there's quite a bit of missing info here. I could very well be a base FWD pac, which, according to carsdirect, I can get a brand new '06 of for $22k. Considering the bad resale value, $17,600 doesn't sound far below market to me.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    minipapavehiclminipapavehicl Member Posts: 2
    Substantial reduction in suspension clunking after recent control arm bushing replacement. I think the strut mounts may be shot as well (58K miles) but the CA bushings made a 90% improvement and of course the front end feels better/tighter as a result as well!
  • Options
    purpleone36purpleone36 Member Posts: 1
    I was reading the messages about Pac. I am concerned about this leaking and stalling problem on left hand turns. Any information about these problems being fixed on the 2006? How have the dealers been about fixing these problems? I rented a Pac and loved the way it handled and the speed. Any information, advice, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.
  • Options
    jregen7243jregen7243 Member Posts: 91
    I posted about my stalling incident about a month ago (06 Sig Series). Since then, it hasn't happened again. I've tried to duplicate it several times by driving the same road and taking the same turn at the same speed, but nothing happened. Other than that one glitch (I hope), this is by far the quietest and most comfortable car I've ever owned. I would buy another one in a heartbeat. Build quality is excellent.
  • Options
    my3rdrxmy3rdrx Member Posts: 167
    I have traded in my 04 PAC for an 06 Limited just last month and have had no problem whatsoever. Go for the Limited if you like all the amenities. Even just the standard features on it are all very helpful and handy!
  • Options
    bread8bread8 Member Posts: 16
    Thinking about buying a new 2005 Touring with tire pressure sensor and park assist. Marked price is 23,800. I know that I should be able to do better. Any ideas as to correct price.
    I have a friend who can get me employee discount. Edmunds does not list 2005 new price.

Thanks
  • Options
    edterijoedterijo Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased the Pacifica in Jan '06. It's brand new '06 with 2000M. We've only just discovered this noise last week. We had no need to rool the back windows down since it's been cold and I don't have my kids in the car everyday, which is how it was discovered. My daughter rolled one of the back windows down and my husband thought he was having a stroke! Literally! This is deafing to the ears and does physically hurt. We are so upset by this because we LOVE this car! We don't think it's right that we have to roll another window down to alleviate the problem. How can a car manufacturer tell you how to operate your vehicle? "You have to crack another window, and it'll go away." Maybe I don't want to crack or open another window. They're telling you how to opearate your car. That's not right! When I called the dealership to inquire what in the world this was, I was told it's a normal occurance! My ace it's normal! I've never experienced this in my life nor heard about it. Neither has my husband. What has anyone else done to help? Does having air deflectors installed taken the problem away? Has anyone had any experience in getting Chrylser to deal with this problem? This is my first brand new car in my name and am so disappointed! If we had known about this defect, we WOULD NOT have bought this car :mad: .
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,235
    That effect has been discussed in many forums here. The air flow over the car is such that when a rear window is lowered the air moves in and out. The air around the window disturbs the air outside with the change; air flows in then air flows out due to changes in pressures. It's sort of like blowing across the top of a glass pop bottle and creating a sound due to resonance.

Opening another front window slightly allows the in-out flow to occur without pressure changes inside the car. I recall the name is Helmholtz phenomenon in physics.

It is not a flaw in the design. Go drive a Pilot, Highlander, and other brands. My 93, 98, 03 LeSabres each would do the oscillation when rolling down the rear windows.

Have a good day-Keith

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    The only cars I've owned that did NOT do this had only 2 doors.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    fred222fred222 Member Posts: 200
    nelson33, I agree with you about the driver's seat leather. I think the leather is good, obviously the driver's seat gets the most wear, so it will look the worst in a few years.
    I disagree. I think that the leather in the Pacifica (2005 Touring) is not very good. There is no comparison between it and the leather in our 2006 Odyssey EX-L. It is still better than cloth though!
  • Options
    Hello, Yesterday afternoon when coming home form work indicator light #15 turned on, and stayed on. I am really worried, the dealer seems to be closed today. Will be okay to keep driving it. Still under warranty, but is the only car I have and have tons of things to do this weekend. :confuse:

Help, Advise, Please!!
  • Options
    double talked me dumb

i've never heard that phrase. I like it. ;)

• Options
    tirpitz01tirpitz01 Member Posts: 6
    Anyone notice the black trim above the taillights that extends up to the roof racks gets loose above the taillights in warmer weather but tightens up when the outside temp.cools off a little.Is this normal?
  • Options
    edfinkleedfinkle Member Posts: 3
    I have the exact same problem on my 2002 Nissan Pathfinder. Cracking another window, as you've described, alleviates the problem.

Ed
  • Options
    w41 packagew41 package Member Posts: 8
    I just bought a new 06 Pacifica FWD with 40 miles on the odometer. Drving it home I noticed bad break pulsation. The dealer said it needed new rotors. They had the fronts and put them on, but it took them a week to get in the rears. Now the problem is gone.

The service guy said 1 in 100 new Dodge Chargers and sometimes a Pacifica have warped rotors within the first 100 miles.

So I guess the reason for my post is to see if anyone else has seen this or knows the cause? Should I complain to Chrysler?

Thanks,

Turbo w41
  • Options
    what exactly are you going to complain about? that you have a fixed vehicle??

sounds like they might need a new rotor supplier ... but that's about the best they could do to reduce the rate of occurence.

• Options
    I took a new '94 Honda Civic in at a few thousand miles for the exact same issue. The Honda dealer could not explain it either .......

Let me tell you, warped rotors hits all of them , import or domestic, from the low to the high.

Instead of complaining that they fixed the problem, go out and take a weekend road trip....... ;)
  • Options
    heroshimaheroshima Member Posts: 9
    I have the same issue in a 04 FWD I live in FLa and have the rust issue, its only surface rust not like its heavy but its definatly rusty. I just had a issue where the drivers seat has a issue. THe recline will not work the sylanoid clicks but nothing happens. rest of the seat is fine. Im stumped. Also latley at 1/2 a tank the gas gage drops to E and low fule comes on. starting to get me woried. :confuse:
  • Options
    heroshimaheroshima Member Posts: 9
    actual on my 04 pac I can adjust on the fly driving down the road at 50 mph. Not that its a safe thing to do but there seems to be no safety measures to keep it from hapning. My 04 mercury sable LS does the same thing
  • Options
    gharshmangharshman Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 AWD, we noticed the loud noise when any two windows are down, we were told it was because we had a sun roof. I have taken my car back to the dealer several times for the loud banging noise when shifting into reverse. This noise is so loud and startling, it sounds like you just ran over some large metal object. since this does not happen every time, the dealer says it cannot fix something they can't hear and diagnose. Last fall after a heavy rain storm I noticed a stream of water falling into my lap on the drivers side. Now there is a clicking noise when turning. Oh I also have experience the car stalling when turning. And now the message display does not come on, and I keep getting a chime about every 5 minutes, but no display lights come on. I have checked the fuses, taken it to the local Autozone to have the computer check for any codes, nothing showed up. Has anyone had a problem with their message display going out? :mad:
  • Options
    mrrogersmrrogers Member Posts: 391
    I have a 2006 Pacifica FWD Base model with 14,000 miles. This afternoon I was in the left turn lane at a traffic light. As I waited for the traffic to clear so I could make my turn, the light went from green to yellow. I promptly made my left turn so as to not hold up the cars on my left who would be getting a green light shortly. I made it through the intersection, and the car stalled. I was able to shift to neutral and restart the car immediately. I had the AC on at the time.
    I always run 89 octane fuel per the owners manual. I am partial to BP and Shell gas, but yesterday I had to fill up with Sunoco 89 octane as there were no BP or Shell stations in the area. Does the brand of gasolene make any difference?
    Should I take the car to the dealer to see if a code is stored in the computer? Does the fact that I was able to restart the car indicate that I have the latest software update? If I went 14,000 miles before the car stalled the first time, how long can I expect to go before it stalls again?
  • Options
    jregen7243jregen7243 Member Posts: 91
    The first thing I would do is go to the NHTSA web site and file a complaint http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

I first experienced this problem with less than 2000 miles on my 06 AWD. I had nearly a full tank of BP 89 octane. I now have about 5000 miles and it hasn't happened again. I've taken the same turn where the stall happened many times and have been unable to duplicate it. I read about a month ago that the NHTSA reopened their investigation into stalling Pacificas. I can tell you now that I'm very cautious when I make left turns.

Good luck!!

You can view the complaints here: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/complain/complaintsearch.cfm
  • Options
    canamrotaxcanamrotax Member Posts: 5
    Same noise in our 2005, if you just close the rear windows, and use the front and sunroof it' s not as bad.
  • Options
    canamrotaxcanamrotax Member Posts: 5
    I transplanted the subwoofer out of a 2004 Pacifica into my fiancee's 2005 Pacifica. I did find that you have to swap the amplifier with it, and that the wiring is all there. Just plug into the red 4 pin plug in the RR behind the trim. I transferred the grille as well, just so you can tell the sub is installed. I don't understand why Chysler would not just include the sub on ever car. It makes the system sound so much better.
  • Options
    I filed my complaint with the NHTSA this evening. I am also now going to be very cautious making left turns. My wife loves driving the car, so I will have to caution her about the left turns.
  • Options
    fred222fred222 Member Posts: 200
    I transplanted the subwoofer out of a 2004 Pacifica into my fiancee's 2005 Pacifica.
    Where is the sub in a Pacifica?
  • Options
    ghettomedicghettomedic Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2004 Pacifica and we are having similiar problems witht he "Rack -n- pinging box" and engine mounts at 45k miles. All parts had to be replaced. The dealer was not helpful with situation! :mad:
  • Options
    I brought my 2006 Pacifica FWD with 15,000 miles in to the dealer today to see if the computer stored a code when the car stalled last week while making a slow left hand turn. I had printed out a previous posting on this website that listed TSB 1803905 for the stalling problem. The Chrysler service advisor said that they would check for codes and review the TSB to see if it is appropriate. There were no codes stored, but they told me that they updated the computer per the TSB anyway. When I got home I reviewed the no charge invoice closely, and I see that the TSB that they did is 18190610. Does anyone know if TSB 18190610 supercedes TSB 1803905?
  • Options
    katiec1katiec1 Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever solve this problem? I ask because I recently purchsed the AV cables for my iPod. Problem is, everytime I plug the thing in, I can't get any audio....volume up or down.
  • Options
    Chrysler was supposed to respond to the NHTSA investigation of the stalling issue on last Friday, April 21, 2006. Chrysler asked for an extension until May 15 as they are still compiling data and analyzing.
  • Options
    arkie1arkie1 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem with the fuel system (gas gauge drop to E with gas in tank). My pacifica has been worked on 7 times by 3 different dealerships since Jan 1 and still is not fixed. Anyone have any info that could help?
  • Options
    tennis4micktennis4mick Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2005 Pacifica purchased in Sept 2005. I have had numerous problems - minor and major; fuel gauge, heated seat, moulding, shifter solenoid, and the most concerning is the unexplained stall on a slow left turn that has occurred twice, 6500 and 8600 miles. It's been 6 months since the purchase and the vehicle has been in for service 6 times totaling 23 days for 5 different problems. :lemon:

Chrysler has been unble to determine the stalling/loss of power problem and no repairs have been made. At the 2nd service call (March), service said there were no TSBs that directly applied, but STAR Online (thru Chrysler) described a similar concern and advised service to "Flash the PCM" It's been a month and since then and it hasn't happened again, but there's nothing telling me that the problem is resolved.

I have since filed a complaint with the NHTSA (thank you to this forum advising me to do so). I have even received a call back from the investigator in Washington DC. I have found (thank goodness for the internet!) that The Office of Defects Investigation (ODI) of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has opened a Recall Query (RQ06-002) to investigate allegations of engine stall while driving in model year 2004-2006 Chrysler Pacifica vehicles.

I have let my dealership know that I know about the Recall Query and here's the good news...Chrysler is going to buy back my Pacifica!! It's really too bad; this was the car that had everything I was looking for in a family car. Classy looking, very comfortable, rear heated seats. Too bad for Chrysler.

I'm going to test drive a Toyota Highlander tonight :)
  • Options
    My 2005 Pacifica had the fuel gauge problem at 340 miles and only 10 days old - filled up the tank, drove 20 miles and watched the needle drop from F to E in seconds. It happened a few more times, then just stayed at E. It was in service for a total of 18 days! They performed diagnostics and found there was no voltage from the sending unit, but when they traced the wires they were fine. STAR told service to replace the BCM (??). I think they may have had to drop the tank to fix the problem. It was a long process as service was taking stabs in the dark to figure out the problem, but it finally got fixed. Sorry I can't tell you exactly what they did, but this might help.
  • Options
    mike_greenmike_green Member Posts: 1
    craig,

did you figure out how to turn EVIC back on? I have the same problem on 2004 AWD Pacifica.
  • Options
    Interested to know how the buy-back with Chrysler went. We are going that route - also due to the stalling problem.
This discussion has been closed.