2024 Chevy Blazer EV lease from Bayway Auto Group Click here

2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee lease from Mark Dodge Click here

2025 Ram 1500 Factory Order Discounts from Mark Dodge Click here
Options

Chrysler Pacifica: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Options
    margo1204margo1204 Member Posts: 11
    ok... PIcked up my PAC this morning and this is what they did to correct the stalling. They "Performed a TSB 1803905" and "Reprogrammed the PCM". Hoping this fixes it.
    Happy New Year Everyone!!!!
  • Options
    nelson33nelson33 Member Posts: 100
    That's good news. Thanks for the post. Made a note of the TSB for future reference. Makes me feel like my next service visit will be more productive. I guess it was just a matter of time. Although please post if it stalls again. Despite the stall and the electrical bug, the car is running very well. Talk to ya next year. ;)
  • Options
    mrrogersmrrogers Member Posts: 391
    I am glad they now have a TSB for the stalling problem. Please let us know how this TSB works for you. I love my car, and I really hope this fixes the problem. Happy New Year!
  • Options
    snowfansnowfan Member Posts: 2
    I read on another website today that there has been a recall associated with the stalling problem. It was on www.mycarstats.com I looked up the Pacifica and clicked on recalls. There have been two. They said they only affected a select number of cars which may be why if your car isn't one of them they aren't willing to pay for it. They said they sent letters to those affected by the recall. However, I suspect from what I've read about this car that many more are affected but aren't notified. Anyway the NHTSA Recall campaign number is: 04V113000 is reads as follows:

"On certain sport utility vehicles equipped with a NGC-1 Powertrain control module, the software protocol used to test the vehicle exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system may lead to engine stalling under certain operating conditions.

Consequence: This could cause a crash without warning.

Corrective action: Dealers will reprogram the powertrain control module software. Owner notification began on March 15, 2004. Owners should contact DaimlerChrysler at 1-800-853-1403."

I hope this info helps.
  • Options
    rodutrodut Member Posts: 343
    Well ... it seems that the 04V113000 recall concerns vehicles made between 2003/01/16 and 2003/07/01, so the first 34561 Pacificas ever made.

I had understood that the 2005 model year owners had the problem. So probably you are talking about different things.
  • Options
    thimmakerthimmaker Member Posts: 33
    You amaze me bobw3. Just how much difference do YOU find when you calculate it yourself? Thats the way we figured it out 50 years ago!!!. Next time you use your hand held $3.95 calculator do you also check it out with math on paper. Your trip computer is merely taking your mechanical odometer reading and dividing it by gallons used. Just as accurate as the pump meter in the gas station that you fill up with.
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,234
    I find about 1 mile per gallon when I do it manually over 2 or 3 fillups vs. the car's computer. The car is slightly optimistic. So I would check it over a long trip using both methods. If yours comes out within 0.5 mpg and that's close enough for you, then that's great.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    thimmakerthimmaker Member Posts: 33
    Within 0.5 mpg? Your kidding. I can get 1.5-2.0 mpg difference just changing from a steady 65 mph to a steady 75 mph. Try resetting while you drive at diff. speeds.
  • Options
    pacman2004pacman2004 Member Posts: 5
    I bought my Pacifica used with 49,000 km about 6 months ago and put winter tires on it and my tire guy said there was a bad batch of rims made on the 2004's. Which left a lip of metal on the inside of the wheel which is causing my rim leaks we have tried everything to seal but it won't seal anyone else have this problem? Also an odd clunk in the tranny at low speeds as it shifts into 2nd gear it happen once and a while also wondering if anyone has had this problem. Also had body work done by the dealership under warranty for rust in rear hatch area and pass door sills has anyone had this problem. Other wise its been pretty good car/truck/minivan... haha but my 2005 Legacy GT AWD is better then what is in the Pacifica tested both with winter tires on. Hope to hear from you guys.
  • Options
    clarkkentclarkkent Member Posts: 154
    I wouldn't trust the gas computer or gauge in a car ever.
    And in the Winters in Montana and Wyoming sometimes your life may depend on them.

The computer (and I use the word lightly) when talkig about auto dash readouts, is about as accurate as trying to hit an F16 at full speed with a sling shot!

Oh, I forgot, they measure the gas used in the tank. When did Chrysler, or any other manufacture, start making gas gages that were even close to being correct? I would say the "computer" in a car is a close guess at best.
  • Options
    fljoslinfljoslin Member Posts: 237
    I bought my Pacifica used with 49,000 km about 6 months ago and put winter tires on it and my tire guy said there was a bad batch of rims made on the 2004's. Which left a lip of metal on the inside of the wheel which is causing my rim leaks we have tried everything to seal but it won't seal anyone else have this problem? Also an odd clunk in the tranny at low speeds as it shifts into 2nd gear it happen once and a while also wondering if anyone has had this problem. Also had body work done by the dealership under warranty for rust in rear hatch area and pass door sills has anyone had this problem. Other wise its been pretty good car/truck/minivan... haha but my 2005 Legacy GT AWD is better then what is in the Pacifica tested both with winter tires on. Hope to hear from you guys

Do you often get rust on 2 year old cars in Ontario? It sounds to me like your car was in a wreck or had some kind of damage repaired by the dealer. How bad is the leak and did the rims leak when you purchased the car? I find it difficult to believe that someone would have put up with leaking rims for 2 years! I would ask the mechanic to show me the lip on the rim and then ask him/her how to remove it. Good luck.
  • Options
    rasldaslrasldasl Member Posts: 74
    I have a 2004 with the chrome 17" wheels. One wheel has a fairly regular leak. We have had 3 different shops try to fix the leak and it always comes back. I have not heard about any bad rims before. Any more info? My PAC is still under warranty and I would like to get the rim replaced if it is indeed the problem.
  • Options
    macw1_2000macw1_2000 Member Posts: 1
    I have had LOTS of problems with my pacifica since I purchased it. Had major problems with the front end - sounded almost like one of the cv joints were bad - was in the shop at least 6 times. The automatic seat thing busted. The check-engine light is constantly on - they tell me not to worry about it until it starts FLASHING (something to do with the gas cap not producing the correct seal). Now today...oh joy...I go to the car, unlock it and take for a quick drive down the street to the store. I get out, the radio doesn't go off. Usually turns off when I open the door. I go to drive home, the window won't go down (none of them will). I get home and go to lock the door with the alarm system...none of the doors will lock and go figure...I try to see if the seats will adjust...they are broken as well.

I really needed an SUV with the kids but now at this point...I'm thinking of trading it in for a Honda Accord. I would rather buy an american car but my husband has had NO problems with his. It's gotten to the point where I am frightened to drive it. Anyone else have an issue like the most recent that I'm having?
  • Options
    mellismellis Member Posts: 150
    I've had no problems with my 2004. Sorry to hear about your issues.

You already own a foreign car. The Pacifica is made in Canada. The Accord is made in the US. :)
  • Options
    fred222fred222 Member Posts: 200
    I've had no problems with my 2004. Sorry to hear about your issues.

You already own a foreign car. The Pacifica is made in Canada. The Accord is made in the US.

Interesting. We Own a 1999 Intrepid, made in Canada, a 2005 Pacifica, made in Canada and a 2006 Odyssey, made in Canada. Maybe my 1969 Lebaron was made there too! Do they make any cars in this country any more?

The 2005 pacifica has been great for 15 months and 10,000 miles. The only problem was the driver's window regulator breaking. Also had to give it a front end alignment early on. Not sure if that was a factory issue or a bump issue. Otherwise oil changes and tire rotation.
  • Options
    We own both an Accord and a Pacifica. The 2005 Pacifica is perfect. My 2001 Accord started shaking when braking at high speed at 30,000 miles. The Honda service manager said
    " ... too bad ...", and asked me to pay for the replacement of all front brake rotors and pads. Jerks !
    I sold my previous 1994 Accord at 90,000 miles with the original brakes.

I owned three Accords. Old Hondas were great cars. New Hondas are nothing to get excited about.
  • Options
    laurheislaurheis Member Posts: 57
    Please don't trade in your Pacifica without consulting a Lemon Law attorney to see if your car meets the criteria for a Chrysler buy-back of the vehicle. We were in the same boat as you - unfortunately a small percentage of Pacificas are lemons, and we had one, too. If your Pacifica does qualify for the Lemon Law in your state, you will be much farther ahead financially with a Chrysler buy-back than with a trade-in at any dealership - especially if your car is plagued with problems. This law was enacted to protect us as consumers. Take advantage of it if you are able!
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 33,101
    sounds like one big electrical problem.

as stated above, with this major of an issue, I'd look into the lemon law. You'll need to meet some sort of criteria first, though. But you can find that out (ie, some states say 3 times in the shop for the same problem, or 30 days in the shop, or whatever).

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    elyokiemelyokiem Member Posts: 5
    I have been searching this forum ( HUGE ) about the same issue. At about 30mph, 4th to 3rd there is clunk/slight stutter from the transmision. I took it to the dealer and he seemed to think nothing was wrong. I really worries my wife. Has any one got a fix action/cause for this ( besides the reprograming TSB that didn't help? ).

Also, when I use the audio inputs on the front of the DVD player there is a high pitch loud noise from the steroe system. Any one else have that happen?

Thanks,

Ely
  • Options
    pacman2004pacman2004 Member Posts: 5
    Today the dealer has taken the Pac in taken the tire off and had to see for themselves the rim. It has really bad pitting on the inside lip of the 17" chrome wheels. Once I change to the winters it wouldn't seal to the rim. So crossing my toes they will replace the rim under the corrosion warranty. Someone said also on here about the clunk in the tranny mine is once in while but it has drive train until 110000km so ill worry if gets worse around there. the rust I was talking about was covered warranty and the pac was never in a accident. It was a Chrysler Exc. car and had all the info on it. But all my rims have this problem my tire guy told me when I put my winters on. So if yours leaks it could be the same problem this car is a Nov 2003 car but a 2004 Model and I have 66000kms.
  • Options
    how many miles on the vehicle?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    Currently it has about 35,000 miles on it.
  • Options
    I would get the transmission serviced (flush and fill). I have to do this every 30k miles on my volvo to keep away the shudder it sounds like you are describing.

• Options
    Actaully, just had that done when I took it in for the oil change. My wife says it is worse now then before ( I don't drive it all that much ).

It is the all wheel drive version, if that makes a differance.
  • Options
    i'm sorry, i don't know what to tell ya, in that case. HOpefully the dealer can help ya.

• Options
    Actaully, just had that done when I took it in for the oil change. My wife says it is worse now then before ( I don't drive it all that much ).

It is the all wheel drive version, if that makes a differance.

Where did you go for the Trans service. Many non dealer shops will not use the correct trans fluid. Find out if the correct fluid was used. If not you should change it again and get the correct stuff.
  • Options
    I had it done at the dealer. I had the transmision and oil changed. I will check to see if they used the correct fluid. Any other thoughts?

Thanks
  • Options
    I had it done at the dealer. I had the transmision and oil changed. I will check to see if they used the correct fluid. Any other thoughts?

Thanks

I know that this is a DUH question, but have you checked the trans fluid level? Usually you do this with the engine hot, in park on a flat surface. If it is low, you will probably get hard shifting.
    Also, I read on a DC minivan thread that if you run the drive wheels with them off the ground it changes how the shift pattern operates. The vehicle has to re-learn how to shift. The dealer may have done this as a way to completely drain the trans fluid. This was news to me, but seems reasonable. Try the ALLpar forum http://www.allpar.com/forums/
  • Options
    Thanks, I will check out the fluid level. I am going to try and schedule to take it back in to them this week when either I or my wife can be there to show them. I will let you know what happens.

Thanks again,

Ely
  • Options
    eskieseskies Member Posts: 3
    i own a 2004 pac, had the same problem with the electrical as you are talking about. chrysler will have to start changing elec. clusters for the door, seat, navigation, center controls. just had to take it in to have the heat fixed, this just after getting it back due to the nav system going out. also had to have the alternator replaced along with the belt and pulley. sounded like there was a bird chirping under the hood. the car has only 23000 on it. Love the car, but am getting frustrated with all the service work.
  • Options
    kris10bkris10b Member Posts: 5
    Hi, I bought my Pacifica in May 2005 ,It is a 2005 as well.
    Since the first week I Had the car the engine light has been on & The gas gauge did not work !!! when I first took it in they said my gas tank was installed improperly ,They fixed it & sent back and still kept happening. Then they said it was a fuel sensor , then they said it was module for the fuel system . Long story short it is now 9 mths later and still going on after 5 service visits . At 7000 miles they had to cut the rotors and adjust the brakes after I problems stopping . I had problems stopping again after that &they said they could not duplicate the problem and the brakes were fine !Earlier thism month my ABS light came off and on for 2 days and my brakes just did not feel right . Last thursday now , MY BRAKES COMPLETELY FAILED coming out of a shopping center and I almost ran over a little girl with my kids in the car and it was towed back to the dealer !! He is now telling me he does not know why the brakes failed nothing is wrong with them , just the abs needed to be changed at 10,000 miles !!!! I am seriously scared to death about taking this car back and that happening again ! Can anyone HELP ME', you had anything similar ?
  • Options
    I am currently seeking arbritaion for my 2005 Pac. Nothings but problems since day 1 !! are they tough with taking them back , they have tried to servive my problem 5 times now ,in my state lemon law is four, but i am still extremly nervous . ANY POINTERS ?THANKS
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    What do you mean "failed". The pedal went to the floor, or did it just get very hard and you couldn't stop quickly?
  • Options
    Similar ? Not even close. I read Pacifica posts on different websites, as a pass time, since years ago (because I learned a lot from them) and I never saw somebody complaining about failing brakes.
    Actually what you say is not understandable. If you go for arbitration you should be more calm, and explain more clear what happened. For instance you say:

"At 7000 miles they had to cut the rotors and adjust the brakes after I problems stopping".

According with my knowledge, the rotors are never cut ! They could be resurfaced, which is a nonsense at 7,000 miles, because they cannot be warped so soon. If by "cut" you meant "resurfaced", why did they do that ? Did you complain about steering wheel shimmy when braking ?

When you had problems stopping did the ABS made "clunk-clunk", so was it doing something? If "yes", it could be guilty. If "not", the ABS is out of the discussion.

One last thought: was it black ice or hard snow when you almost hit that girl? It sounds weird to me that you towed the car to the dealer and the brakes were OK there. If it was icy ... well no car can stop on ice, ABS or not. If it was on dry pavement ... well I think you got a "unique" car.
  • Options
    I don't know anything about arbitration. Is this between you and Chrysler or do you have an attorney representing you? Like I said, we never tried to work a deal out with Chrysler - we wanted our money back and figured, based upon our dealings with Chrysler thus far at the dealership, that we would never get what we wanted without legal representation. We met the criteria in California of 30 days in the shop (our car had 40-plus days in the shop in our 10 months of ownership.) We submitted our service work orders and invoices to the attorney and that was it. Chrysler agreed to buy the car back within 2 weeks - for our full purchase price, plus half the cost of the Rear Entertainment System installed at a Chrysler service department (our dealership did not have a car on the lot with this installed when we purchased our car.) The part that took the longest was actually getting the check from Chrysler - this took almost two months...Plus, Chrysler had to pay our legal fees, so there was absolutely no cost to us at all. If your car meets the criteria for Lemon Law in your state, you should not be nervous. Chrysler must abide by the law. Retain legal counsel and get your money back.
  • Options
    I am trying to be calm but very nervous about using this car in the meantime . I get that what I am saying does not make sense everyone is saying the same thing , but I know what happened . It was a sunny normal day. No ice, snow or rain. Yes , sorry I mean resurfaced not cut the rotors at 7000 miles.I complained about the brakes making noise when stopping and just not stopping correctly (as before the noises started) . There was never any shaking though . After they resurfaced the rotors about 2 weeks later it was the same thing again ,not stopping correctly and making noise when stopping. The brake fluid was also filthy ...like a dark brown. Is this normal ? The other day I was pulling out of a parking lot in to a main street . Approaching the red light I stepped on the brakes and I heard a grinding noise very loud, And the car would not stop. After it all I called the dealer and told them , because I had just spoke to the service dept the day before because my ABS light was on , and I wanted to make sure it was okay to drive. When this happened the light was actually off though . Service said not to drive the car they will come and tow it to there center! The next day service told me that there was nothing wrong with my brakes , but they did replace the ABS on front left tire .
    Along with this the fuel system has had many problems since may 2005 when I bought the car . It has been 5 times for that , in my state lemon law is 4 , so that is my basis for arrbritation.
  • Options
    user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    i'm not an expert but a dark brown brake fluid sounds really suspicious to me. i think it should be slightly yellow but not dark brown. you may have a contamination problem. the vehicle was purchased in may of '05.

most of what i read indicates that you should replace the brake fluid every 2 years... but something doesn't seem right. i'd have another dealership look at the vehicle.
  • Options
    ;) thanks for the feedback on the brake fluid , but as far as blaming cars or moving on... I am not blaming anyone or any such car or make of cars . Things happen and everything human made is bound to have a problem . Some things or cars more problems or more frequent then others . I came on this site for some answers or insight to my problem and I will move on when I do not have to put my 2 children in this dangerous vechile. Let's see if it was you with this problem and how you would deal with it ? You even said for yourself that's too much and you would try to get rid of it ! Thanks again though :)
  • Options
    i actually have contacted Chrysler Corporate 3x now, with no luck. the other day though when my brakes failed and had to have the car towed to service I spoke to the dealer's manager and he contacted corporate because I told him I now refuse to take the car the car back , this is the second time it has happened and they keep telling me they can not duplicate the problem when they look at the car! The car has also been in 5x for the fuel system now and still not fixed . It is just too much . So he called and they asked me what I would like to come out of this situation. I told them I want a comparable vechile or all my $ back . They told me they would have a decsion in 10 days . I also have sent in arrbratation papers to my States Attorney generals office . Hoping the outcome is positive ... but we will see !! Here in NY it is very hard trying to get a lawyer to take a lemon law case . A lot of people told me it is almost impossible. Hope my paper work says enough !
  • Options
    user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    i was thinking rust myself...is it possible there was moisture in the lines? couldn't moisture and rust cause an ABS unit to fail? can a malfunctioning ABS unit cause the brake fluid to burn?

i agree with you - something is very fishy here. the first thing the dealership should have done was check the condition of the brake fluid. contamination or burning - that has to be tracked down and solved. i'd be looking for another dealer.
  • Options
    Well ... dark fluid at 7,000 miles is definitely fishy. Dark means burnt, not contaminated. Which is actually worse, because it means high temperatures somewhere in the braking system.
    There was a similar thread 1 to 2 months ago about brakes failing and dark brake fluid and the Dealer said that motor oil had been added to the brake reservoir so the warranty was voided. I questioned how the dealer would know what it looks like when motor oil has been added to brake fluid.
  • Options
    For your information, rodut, I bear no ill will towards Chrysler and/or the Chrysler Pacifica. As a matter of fact, I couldn't be happier with how we were treated by Chrysler in the end. My motivation for continuing to visit this website is twofold - I am interested in seeing if Chrysler can work out the kinks with this car - my husband LOVED ours - until he had to spend a day a week at the service department. The other reason that I post here is that there still seem to be people who are having serious problems with their Pacifica vehicles. I was once in the same boat - you and I actually discussed this in several instances. Had I just accepted all of the problems with our car, I MAY have placed my children's safety in jeopardy, but I most certainly would have made a terrible mistake financially. We would have taken a bath on this car if we had traded it in or sold it ourselves, and you know that.
    Never have I blamed your car for anything. As I have said before, I would venture to say that every car manufacturer produces lemons. My experience with a lemon just happens to be with a Chrysler vehicle. That is why the Lemon Law was enacted. You don't have to accept the problems with your car, as some people on this site are doing. Let Chrysler know that you are not satisfied with their product.
    I thought I was providing some assistance to others, but your personal comments about me are spiteful. Don't bother responding to my post- I won't be reading this discussion any longer. If anyone is interested in what I have had to say, they can look at past messages. I am moving on - in my Honda Pilot.
  • Options
    hmmmm... i apparently missed something. I looked back over the past few pages and couldn't find any personal comments. Oh well.

• Options
    personal comments removed by the host.
  • Options
    Darn. I always miss the controversial stuff. ;)

thanks for clearing up my confusion.

• Options
    It wasn't real juicy anyway.
  • Options
    Yeah ... my removed post no 1769 ... definitely I was on the weak side !

Since a kid I was the black sheep ... ;)
  • Options
    nelson33nelson33 Member Posts: 100
    LOL
    Canadians! Always causing trouble.

I just spent an hour in my Pac. trying to run my aftermarket satellite receiver wires "neatly" to try to make it look like a "professional" install. Tough on the back since I had to get under the steering wheel. I'm too damn cheap to hire someone. However, very pleased w. the result. The car has so many places to hide and run wire that it worked out better than I expected.
  • Options
    steelydan0613steelydan0613 Member Posts: 144
    Yes, rodut , I have had the dubious honor of having my posts edited on this forum before, more than once.

Must have been the egg nog over the holidays.....

I am amused that the complainers can whine at will, but if one of us gets a little pithy in our reply/comments, well that's another thing entirely.......

Keep plugging for the Pacifica, rodut........ ;)
  • Options
    Yup ! Always trouble. Next week there are elections in Canada. I think Mr_Shiftright would remove half of the statements we see at the TV everyday. :surprise:

nelson33:
    To emotionally connect you with the car there is nothing better than to perform some work on it. For instance, me I replace the engine oil. That valve is interesting.
    Yes, that one is the transmission oil cooler. If you look under the hood you will see the rubber hoses marked "transmission" connecting the radiator with the gear box. Nice huh ?

steelydan0613
    Thanks, I feel better now. If we started the confessions ... me too I had other posts removed !
    "Whining at will" is well said ! :cry:
This discussion has been closed.