Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

I have $58,000 USD to spend on a high performance car. Any advice?

spock_94spock_94 Member Posts: 5
edited June 2015 in General
I've gotten around just fine on used cars but I've been saving for a new car for several years now and I feel like this should be enough to purchase a well performing aesthetically pleasing car. However now that the time has come to spend my savings nothing seems right. I had my heart set on buying the revamped 2015 mustang gt premium with all the bells and whistles.... Until I actually test drove one. Although the very poor quality salesman didn't help the car itself just wasn't satisfying to drive. It didn't have the classic gutteral roar of v8 muscle nor did it have the satisfying responsiveness of a sports car, it just felt like driving a volvo with a medium powered v8 slapped into it. Because of this I am currently starting over with researching cars in the same price range that are the same bang for the buck. The cars I am considering so far (in no particular order) are as follows: Nissan 370z Nismo, Dodge Challenger SRT392, BMW M4, Audi TTS, Mazda Miata, and the Chevrolet Corvette Stingray (basic).
My only must have is a manual transmission. Any input on the reliability and value of any of these cars or a suggestion of a car that I may be interested would be incredibly welcome.
Thanks in advance for any input you can give.

Comments

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,916
    Well, this is an issue I've never had to face, but I have no problem giving advice on spending other people's money. :smile:

A couple of questions:

1. How do you plan to use this car - daily driver or weekend toy?
    2. Do you plan on taking it to the track?
    3. Do you plan on taking long road trips with it?

I think the answers to those questions might shape the direction you want to go it.

At the very least, you'll want to test drive each of them to see if they are comfortable for you. I'm bummed about your comments on the Mustang GT - that's been on my short list of "want to have" cars for some time. But, to each their own.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• spock_94spock_94 Member Posts: 5
    Sorry, forgot to answer those questions in the post. It will be my daily driver but i would also like to be able to take it to the track, not competitively just to have some fun on the weekends. The longest road trip i would probably take with it is 4-5 hours away and i would only make that trip at most once a year.
    Yeah, I plan on test driving all of the ones on my list but any input or any other cars that you would recommend would be very helpful. I did weeks of research on the Mustang GT but driving it.... I don't know. It just wasn't satisfying. To each their own though, you may find it extremely enjoyable i just couldn't see myself buying it after giving it a test drive.
  • abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    spock_94 said:
    I've gotten around just fine on used cars but I've been saving for a new car for several years now and I feel like this should be enough to purchase a well performing aesthetically pleasing car. However now that the time has come to spend my savings nothing seems right. I had my heart set on buying the revamped 2015 mustang gt premium with all the bells and whistles.... Until I actually test drove one. Although the very poor quality salesman didn't help the car itself just wasn't satisfying to drive. It didn't have the classic gutteral roar of v8 muscle nor did it have the satisfying responsiveness of a sports car, it just felt like driving a volvo with a medium powered v8 slapped into it. Because of this I am currently starting over with researching cars in the same price range that are the same bang for the buck. The cars I am considering so far (in no particular order) are as follows: Nissan 370z Nismo, Dodge Challenger SRT392, BMW M4, Audi TTS, Mazda Miata, and the Chevrolet Corvette Stingray (basic). My only must have is a manual transmission. Any input on the reliability and value of any of these cars or a suggestion of a car that I may be interested would be incredibly welcome. Thanks in advance for any input you can give.
    Spock, the Corvette is a set of nice wheels as is the M4.  I would probably opt for the M4 for comfort and value and quality.  The Corvette has many limitations such as lack of roominess, trunk, etc.

2021 Genesis G90

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,490
    edited June 2015
    Where do you live? Winter duty can influence the choices.

All fine cars. And fun. But very different. So try them all, and see what makes you fall in love.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

I'll test them both, but that is a good point about limited trunk space in the corvette. I live in Tennessee so i don't have to worry about too much ice/snow but it does get cold enough to make heated seats sound appealing
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,926
    edited June 2015
    If you can live with it as your daily driver, the Corvette seems to me to be the best-performing choice on your list.

Even a stripped M4 is out of your pricerange by a little, no? I'm seeing $62k on truecar. Add taxes/tags/fees and you are pushing $67k. Not to mention, there is no way I'd have it out of warranty.

I don't think any of the others compare to the above 2 choices, unless you decide you need more room, in which case I'd probably go with the Challenger.

If you can afford the M4, may I be so bold as to add another to your list? The ATS-V. :)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Yeah, i was going to test drive the new M4 and try to find a certified pre-owned one for somewhere within my price range. I've never been a huge Cadillac fan, if i can pay for the performance without the luxury on a vehicle that would be ideal.
    I've never been a Cadillac fan either... until I drove one. Same can be said of most of the cars I've ever owned. Then there are those on the other side of the spectrum that you always desire until you drive it. :)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I'll test drive one then, I thought i would love the mustang until i drove one. Has anyone heard anything about the Hyundai Genesis Coupe / Genesis?
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    spock_94 said:

I'll test drive one then, I thought i would love the mustang until i drove one. Has anyone heard anything about the Hyundai Genesis Coupe / Genesis?

I think you would be remiss not to try the S5. The TTS is nice and all, but the S5 is another animal. I think you'll find although there's plenty of luxury to go with the performance, you'll be plenty happy as it is an all around great vehicle. If for some reason you need extra oomph, a simple $1K tune will net you another 75-85 HP.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    spock_94 said:

Well, of course I've heard/read lots. It is nowhere near the performance of some of the others you are talking about. That's more like 535i territory.

• rhinestonefuserhinestonefuse Member Posts: 76
    1969 Camaro 327. You can get a four speed in outstanding mechanical condition and with the money left over do another 15K in modern upgrades to make the car as reliable as a CVCC for the next four years.

• missysworldmissysworld Member Posts: 6
    I am looking in the same price range and it appears I have similar performance desires as you.
    However I have gone the Corvette route and would love it better as a second car. Fun but not practical. Try getting the vacuum cleaner you just bought into it without taking it out of the box!
    I drove a 70 Cutlass 442 convertible that I had restored (numbers matching). Fun also, but I gave up so much fit and finish for performance. I hate being practical but sometimes we just have to.
    The most fun I have had with a performance car is driving a "sleeper". I purchased a MB C32 AMG a few years back and loved it! Mostly because I had outstanding performance, practicality and luxury. I hate to spend that much money on performance and not have the fit and finish to match it. Also what I enjoyed about the car is that it was usually performance officinados that noticed the car. With the flashy "look at me, I'm fast" cars, every 80's era Camaro lover wants to race. With the AMG'S, V's, M's it was those that truly had an appreciation for fine performance that wanted a challenge but in a "adult-like" manner.
    I currently drive a Cadillac CTS coupe. Wish I had the V but it just isn't in the budget. (5 kids dig into that.) I had a new MB C350 prior to this but was really surprised how much I love the CTS compared to the MB. The Cadillac offered much more as standard equipment for less money.
    As you can see, I have been all over the map in cars. It all depends where I am in life. With the kids in college I am getting the performance itch again. I am looking at the MB C450 AMG that is coming out in September (ish). This model is not a typo. It is a Segway between a basic C class and an AMG. 362 horses and 384 lb-ft 0-60 in 4.6. Starting at $51k.
    Also, the new ATS-V that is expected in possibly August is an exciting car to look at. Offered as either a coupe or sedan, it’s packing a twin-turbo 3.6-liter V-6 making around 455 hp and 445 lb-ft. With the eight-speed automatic doing the shifting, the ATS-V sedan hit 60 mph in 3.9 seconds, three-tenths quicker than the manual ATS-V coupe. Starting at $61k. Both cars have received excellent track reviews so far.
    So, maybe these might garner your interest. It has mine. I am just trying to (not so easily) wait patiently.