Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lexus RX 330 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    fsc1555fsc1555 Member Posts: 42
    did you like the color of Bamboo pearl with ivory interior. I have not seen the color in actuality. thanks.
  • Options
    cindola1cindola1 Member Posts: 14
    I'm about to get the RX on Saturday, a white or silver, but i'll be leasing instead of buying. The price I got for lease is $514 a month for the Premium Plus, for 36 months and 15,000 miles per year, with $2,000 down. Does anyone know if this is a good deal, or if I should shop around a bit more?? Any input/help is appreciated!
  • Options
    I forgot to write that it's a FWD with no navigation, and also that the $514 per month is including sales tax (I'm in Southern CA).
  • Options
    clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    Check out his profile he works for lexus of naperville.
  • Options
    wolfman12wolfman12 Member Posts: 8
    Kinda funny... but that message posted about great deals at Naperville is now gone...

Makes you wonder...
  • Options
    rx4merx4me Member Posts: 58
    The only other fees I'm aware of that we typically pay here in CA besides TTL is a $45 doc fee. Not sure if the same fees apply to all dealerships here in CA, though, as I do know that some dealerships pass on a transport fee (if a dealer trade is involved) to the buyer. I've heard of some dealerships here in CA charging as much as $300 to transport the vehicle for example, from southern CA up to the Bay Area. That's a hefty fee for not being that long of a distance, and especially since it's not like it's being transported to the east coast or something.
  • Options
    rx4merx4me Member Posts: 58
    What package did you purchase, how much off of MSRP did you get, and what was your final price after TTL from Lexus of Serramonte?
  • Options
    adpcsadpcs Member Posts: 59
    We are looking to purchase / lease (have not decided) a new 2WD RX330 with Premium Plus / Navigation / Heated Seats / Rain Sensing Wipers / 18" Wheels - MSRP - 42428 Inv - 37157
    What kind of price can I expect to get in Houston?
    Also, the dealer mentioned the 'december to remember' sales event, and said that if we lease a car in December, then Lexus will pay the sales tax (6.25%). So, is it possible to buy the car for $38500-$39000 and then also get the tax break or am I missing something?
  • Options
    mkolakowskimkolakowski Member Posts: 1
    We ordered our new RX330 FWD in October(2003), due to arrive first week in January(2004), from a dealership in Kentucky. Initially I thought I was getting a great deal but not so sure anymore. Any feedback would be appreciated. Here's the specifics:

Color: Blue Mica, Interior: Ivory, Base MSRP-$35025
    Premium Package with Wood and Steering Wheel Shift Knob -$2145, Lexus Destination Charge - $625, Total MSRP-$38175, Discount-$2675, State Tax-$1899.45, License Fees-$21.00, Transfer Fees-$26.00, Dealer Charge for Title and Notary Work-$9.85, Dealer Charge for document preparation and other services related to this transaction-$389.40
    So Total out the door was $37845.70. Any feedback is appreciated, thanks.
  • Options
    kknd22kknd22 Member Posts: 1
    Rx330 AW premium plus price:
    I might be able to get $3k off the MSRP price ($41,700). Is it a good price? Nay comments are welcome. I am in norhtern VA (DC suburb)
  • Options
    ukulele2ukulele2 Member Posts: 21
    I'm looking to purchase an RX with the Mark Levinson/Navigation package. After speaking to 3 different dealers it seems like here at the Northeast an RX w/ML doesn't exist! So I assume the only way I can get one is through special order. Does anyone have any experience on special order? Can you bargain or did you get a good price on it because it's a special order? How long of a wait am I looking at? Thanks in advance for any help.
  • Options
    finch3finch3 Member Posts: 113
    Why fuss over a few hundred dollars difference, going from dealer to dealer to get a better price. If you can afford a Lexus, what's a few hundred dollars?
    I think you have to spend some time with a salesman and work the price down till you feel comfortable and then say yes and get on with it!
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Why not just send out some emails or faxes and save both time and money?

I suspect quite a few folks became able to afford a Lexus by not throwing away a few hundred dollars here and there.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    idrivelexusidrivelexus Member Posts: 11
    You both are right.

Shopping around is still a good idea, especially for such a big purchase. Make it as efficient as possible. When you fininally decide to walk into one dealership, negotiate the price to a until you feel comfortable. If push too hard, it becomes painful and stressful to both side. Once the deal is made, forget about the price, the future price, the price other pay, just enjoy it.
  • Options
    cotmccotmc Member Posts: 1,081
    You're right on the money! In my case, I probably saved an additional $1500-$1700 on our modestly equipped Prem Plus FWD model by going to a neighboring state (i.e., requesting price quote via emails) instead of buying from our local dealer. This was back in June, when Southern California dealers started to become very competitive, while AZ dealers were discounting a maximum of $1.5K off of MSRP. Before working the emails, we had been resigned to considering a couple of cheaper alternative SUV models.
  • Options
    syksyk Member Posts: 4
    rx4me,

I purchased an RX 330 AWD with the premium plus package, navigation system, heated seats, 18" wheels, towing package, cargo mat and wheel locks for $40,500. This is $3,538 below MSRP of $44,038.

Here is the break down of the final price after TTL, $44,202.96: 40500.00 (Car price with destination fee) + 45.00 (Document preparation fee) + 3344.96 (CA sales tax) + 308.00 (License fees) + 5.00 (CA tire fees) = 44,202.96 (Final price)
  • Options
    Hi all,

I just got my white RX today, FWD, Premium Plus (No navigation), 18" wheels etc. MSRP $39,463 was, I got it for $35,233.98. I Leased, down payment (includes first month's payment/license/etc) $2,000, payments $513.48/mo, 36 months, 15,000 mi/year. Had great experience with the saleman I used (same one as I bought my IS300 from almost 2 years ago), also had great email responses from Beverly Hills (one salesman in particular), Horrible email experience from Santa Monica. If anyone wants more detailed info, post or email me!
  • Options
    fsc1555fsc1555 Member Posts: 42
    u did very well since they only made 593.00 over the invoice price! wow! 4200 off the sticker price.
  • Options
    myk_amyk_a Member Posts: 70
    Most Appealing Luxury Sport Utility Vehicle Lexus RX 330 (2004). Click on the "Press Release" Link for details.
  • Options
    stevesteinstevestein Member Posts: 263
    Is this a good deal?
    Just got quoted $570/mo incl tax (6%) on a Nav RX, $44K MSRP. 12K mi for 39 mos. Approx $1500 at delivery; 1st mo payment, acquisition fee and MV fees. I live in Central New Jersey.
  • Options
    I asked about the ML, and was told that although it was in the brochure, Lexus wasn't shipping any and it probably couldn't be ordered. I had a similas situation with "unavailable" options on my LS.
  • Options
    mlpcamlpca Member Posts: 6
    I live in NJ. What dealership gave you that price? I am just now starting my research. I want to order one soon for Feb/Mar delivery.
  • Options
    maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    stevestein,

What was the negotiated price from MSRP?
  • Options
    MSRP 44038
    CapCost 41475
    Res 58%
    Money factor .00200
    12 k miles /39 mos
    $750 Acq. Fee
  • Options
    ukulele2ukulele2 Member Posts: 21
    ML is available. I know it because someone has posted on this forum that they got one. Also, if you go to Lexus's website and do your own configuration, you will find that you can get ML in the Southeast (Florida and etc.) and Midwest like Illinois. It seems like Lexus ships different configurations to different regions. In Florida if you want ML you also must get rear seat entertainment, but in Illinois you don't have to. Here at the Northeast we pretty much get all kinds of shipments except ML and RSES, but we can get performance package which is not available in some other regions.

To make a long story short, your dealer probably told you that so he can sell whatever he has or whatever he's getting. And since the Northeast don't get ML automatically and to make his job easier, he just say that to you. You think a reputable company like Lexus would put something on their brochure and then tell you that it is not available this year? Don't get fooled that.

I had the same experience at a Lexus dealership in Southern Connecticut that said ML is not offered this year. But I also asked 3 other dealerships and they all said they don't have one, but you can special order it. So what I believe is that ML is automatically available at some region, and you can definitely get one if you special order it. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    I just checked the website and here in the Midwest (Minnesota) the ML is very much available, but surprisingly there is no longer a Performance Pkg option. When we bought in July the Performance Pkg was very much available here, so these configurations do change every so often.
  • Options
    starrinstarrin Member Posts: 10
    Hi,

I live in NJ and I am now in the market for a new RX. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a dealer. I am obviously looking for a great price.

I was at the Cherry Hill Lexus today -- and walked out rather perturbed by my experience. I consider myself a rather easy going individual and would never make demands -- but... Here I am a customer with checkbook in hand -- just want to test drive the vehicle and the sales guy says "I have an apptointment (outside of his work) at 11 AM so it will have to be quick." So I go with it. Now since I am in the market for a unit with the NAV, I ask if I can see how the NAV works in person. Not thinking this was unreasonable -- he takes me out in the freezing weather to show it to me by looking into one of the cars on the lot. He did not open the door and let me see the screen and how the layout looks! He just said "there it is" -- so my wife and I are sitting there in their lot, in the cold, standing there -- when he says -- "I will meet you back inside when you are done". At that point I am thinking well -- I must have gotten this guy on a bad day or something. So I tell him I would like to speak with one of the financial folks to work out the price -- he walks around the corner -- immediately comes back and says "They're all Busy -- You'll have to come back"

Now at this point -- I am thinking there is NO WAY I am giving this dealership a 40k check. So I am now on this board seeking people who have had positive experiences when purchasing their Lexus in the NJ market.

I keep seeing all these Rated #1 signs in the dealership -- my experience does not dictate that rating.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    The minute the salesperson said "it would have to be quick" I would have said "thank you" and then sought help from a different salesperson. As a customer you have the right to choose who you want to work with, and to be satisfied with that person. It has to "feel right" from the first introduction, otherwise you are probably going to remain skeptical and maybe even defensive throughout the whole process. Just about all dealerships have poor salespeople and good ones, so my suggestion would be to not base your opinions about the entire Lexus brand or even that dealership just on that one experience. You might want to call the sales manager and describe the type of person you would like to deal with. In my case I ended up working directly with the sales manager himself, and it worked out really well.
  • Options
    jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    That's not the way a Lexus dealership or their sales reps should work; I second the advice above to contact the GM or GSM and ask if they are an "Elite" Lexus dealership or have any desire to become one in the future - because the treatment you received, as an obvious buy-it-today real prospect - doesn't represent them as an Elite dealer (this is a real goal for Lexus dealerships).

Let us know the results! Good luck.
  • Options
    starrinstarrin Member Posts: 10
    I should have just asked for someone else the minute I could tell that it was not going as my wife and I pictured.

The good news is that we believe in the product and are not swayed. Better yet, I have now been speaking with a salesperson from an "Elite" dealership approx. 50 miles from my house. This guy is very much what I am looking for in a salesperson.

Answered my email -- quickly. He called me and he immediately talked about getting me what I would like at a nice price point. This person was a professional. It would appear that Cherry Hill is not an "Elite" dealership. Unfortunately, I may be a little stubborn -- but I just cringe in the thought of ever walking into that dealership again. I realize that the rest of the staff is probably top-notch and great at their profession. However, it is one of those situations where you just get really turned off. I am going to first work with this other dealership -- Ray Catera Lexus. Apparently they deal with a considerable amount more in volume as well -- I would think that this has to work in my favor in terms of selection and ordering.

I have also contacted several other dealerships in the area and they are already getting back to me. We are pretty much sold on the car and will ultimately end of purchasing. But -- I have a question -- when/if we purchase the car, would any of you write the sales manager of Cherry Hill and state why they lost a sale? My wife and I were talking and she was slightly nervous due to Cherry Hill being so close-by -- any servicing would be done through them. I think we would both be nervous of some sort of "pay-back". By no means am I making the assumption, just concerned that it could be a possibility. Then again, I am willing to bet the service dept. is totally separate from sales.

Thank you all for your input. I will keep everyone posted as to my dealings/price/experience.

Thanks again.
  • Options
    ...you were treated lousy...but not horribly. The guy was just a lousy sales rep and a semi-jerk.

Buy your RX330 where you feel comfortable and take it (for the small volume of service it will probably need) to the most convenient dealer.

I've purchased four Lexus vehicles (Lexii?) but not a single one from my local dealer for one reason or another - I also go there first and give them the best shot at my money but it just hasn't worked out. They have a a great service department that IMO has gone out of their way to treat me very well without purchases.

If you wrote that letter, the owner or GSM or GM would probably respond professionally, aplogize for their rep's behaviour, and then ask you what they could do to get your business...and since you already found another fairly local dealer for your purchase, you'd have to say, sorry, already bought one last week. So there'd really be no point in it other than to get the rep in trouble (maybe) and since he lost the sale...that's trouble enough. With this guy's attitude, he probably won't be employed there long anyway.

Enjoy your new RX - they are great!

Jeff
  • Options
    The question you pose is a tough call. One the one hand you want to let the offending dealer know exactly how you feel, and explain to them why they lost the sale. And on the other hand you don't want to do anything that might make them service your car in a less than professional manner. Of course this should not be the case with any quality Lexus dealership, but you already suspect that they are NOT a quality dealership. The fear is that their Sales Dept. could hold a "grudge" and be even less willing "to go the extra mile" when it comes to making you happy with their service.

Assuming you have no plans to give this dealer the last shot at the sale, I guess if it were me I would then ask myself: What do I have to gain by registering a complaint, other than the satisfaction of letting my opinion be heard? I suspect that they really wouldn't change their behavior for the better even if you were to say something, and there is a possibility that it could makes things worse.

So I guess my gut instinct would be to let it go, and just try to form a good relationship with the Service Dept. Once you go there a couple of times you will get a better feel for the way they operate, and maybe use them for both the sale and the service the next time. If their service turns out to be poor, for whatever reason, then you will probably want to drive the extra 50 miles to where you'll buy it from anyway. Maybe as part of the sale the selling dealer would agree to a valet service, at least for the non-routine maintenance work, and that would solve your problem too.

Good luck!
  • Options
    I bought an LS at Ray Catena and am shopping for an RX for my wife there now. Nothing but good things to say about them. They are a very high volume dealer and the showroom is always busy. They give current model year Lexus ES or RX as loaners when they do service, and they freely let me keep one over the weekend once when I couldn't get back to pick up my car Friday eve. or Sat AM. i know they offer valet service to local area, but don't know if that streches to Cherry Hill.
  • Options
    aqbqcqaqbqcq Member Posts: 14
    What sort of prices are you seeing on an RX with Nav from Ray Catena? I too may potentially buy/lease from them. Thanks.
  • Options
    griffinbertisgriffinbertis Member Posts: 1
    Met with a salesperson at Ray Catena on Saturday. Very friendly and professional. Here are the details:

2004 Lexus RX 330 AWD
    Performance Plus package
    39 month lease, 12k miles

MSRP: $41,777
    Dealer Price: $39,900
    Capital Cost reduction: Zero
    Bank Fee: $1016
    Transfer Fee: $85

Monthly Lease Payment: $588.25 (including tax)

Questions:
    1. Has anyone else experienced these extremely high bank fees? The justification was that in NY, the true owner (Lexus Financial) is now liable for damages if the driver is sued. The last time I leased from Lexus, the bank fees were only $400.
    2. The lease payment on the 2004 RX330 has increased about $100 over what I am currently paying on my 2000 RX300, despite a similar MSRP. The logic (according to the salesperson) is that the residual value on the 2004 has declined from 62% to 52%. Ouch.
    3. Any better deals out there in the NY Metro area?

Thanks.
  • Options
    nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    That bank fee "SURE LOOKS HIGH" to me.
  • Options
    myk_amyk_a Member Posts: 70
    I got my Lexus from Bob Ciassulli Lexus of Little Falls, NJ - now known as Tri-County Lexus. Email me at mykrx330@yahoo.com and I'll send you the details/contact info. The guy that sold me my RX 330 was very courteous and easy to work with.
  • Options
    nsuttoransuttora Member Posts: 5
    Hi All,

I also live in NJ and am currently looking at purchasing a 2004 AWD RX330 w/Premium Plus, 18" wheels, tow, etc. MSRP for this vehicle is just under $41,700. I was hoping to get it for about $38,500. Has anyone gotten a deal similar to this or better?

I also see Lexus advertising the December to Remember sales event a lot. Are they really giving better deals away or is this just an advertising event geared to get people into the showroom?

Finally, does anyone think its worth waiting for the 2005 model year hybrid vehicle due in about 1 year? I'm sure they will command a premium but it may also mean that the current model will depreciate faster. At the same time it may also allow more bargaining room for the current model. Any thoughts?

Thanks.
  • Options
    windy6windy6 Member Posts: 57
    We've been looking at RX 330s and will probably buy this week. Basically the 3 dealers we've been to have offered about the same, $2100 off on a premium plus package. Didn't really want the heated seats but no one down here has the premium package plus the wood package and the HIDs so I can take that.
    One dealer called today and they have a demo with about 5000 miles (I consider that more of a used car really) that they'll knock off another 1800, but it has about 450 of other stuff that I didn't want.
    My thoughts were that they should be closer to 60 cents a mile on the demo miles and should knock down the price of the other stuff to about their cost. Since it's striping and extra tinting they can't really take it off, but I'd sure never take a new one with that.
    One dealer has also offered me $4500 for my trade. They're the only one that I talked trade with because I usually just sell the old ones myself. Even this time of year I should be able to get $7500 or so.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Windy
  • Options
    adpcsadpcs Member Posts: 59
    With this sale, Lexus is giving more attractive lease rates, and also paying all but 1.2% of the sales tax on any car that you lease (at least here in Texas). I am not sure about buying the car, though.
  • Options
    gibogibo Member Posts: 22
    Anyone willing to share their buying experience in DC/Baltimore area? Looking at an RX330 w/ nav. I haven't decided on FWD or AWD yet. Thankfully no trade-in this time.
  • Options
    vasu_21401vasu_21401 Member Posts: 5
    Hi,
     I bought mine a month ago (AWD, NAV+DVD, Bamboo Pearl)from Sheehy Lexus of Annpolis. They gave me $1350 of MSRP. I was looking for Flint Mica with Grey but did not have the luxury of time to wait for one. They were ok. But my guess is if you need both DVD and NAV then you have very few choices.

Vasu
  • Options
    katherine6katherine6 Member Posts: 61
    Go back to message #221. In late August I was quoted a price that was at least $2,500 below MSRP on a premium plus without DVD or NAV. Can't remember the sales person's name though. Good luck.
    Katherine.
  • Options
    katherine6katherine6 Member Posts: 61
    I found the name of the salesperson in MD. If you post your email address in your profile, I'll send it to you.
    Katherine
  • Options
    rparisrparis Member Posts: 368
    My feeling is that the hybrids will command a very high price and that the gas savings will not offset the higher cost. I am planning to buy an Rx next year and may wait until the hybrids are available based on the logic you used in your message. Right now thelocal dealers are really notdiscounting much so what is the rush unless you need a car now.
  • Options
    Continues to sell at 9,000-10,000 units per month - the highest, I believe, for any model ever introduced by Lexus, the introduction of the RX400H won't have much effect since it will likely not be discounted at all and have a higher MSRP, probably at least $4-5k more than the RX330.

As I stated before, if you can get an RX330 for $3500 off list (typical in So.CA and some other areas now) and the RX400H lists for $4k more, that's nearly $8k higher with sales tax included.

If the combined street/hwy mpg advantage with the hybrid is 75% better...let's say it's 35 mpg overall vs. 20 mpg for the current RX330.

And you drive a typical 12,000 miles a year. With the RX330, you use 600 gallons. With the RX400H, you use 343 gallons or 257 gallons a year less. At even $2.50 (!) gal for regular, that's a savings of just $643 per year.

With an upfront additional cost of $8,000, that gas savings will take 12.5 years to realize. Don't even bother with the interest lost in not having that $8k to invest in gold futures from day one...

The RX330 has plenty of power for my wife; hey, so did the previous RX300 for that matter.

If the RX400H or other hybrid has other advantages I will certainly consider buying it in a few years. But unless they can show a shorter payback...what is the advantage for the non-tree-hugging public?

If you want a midsize SUV that just accelerates quicker, there are several, like the FX45, if you can accept its shortcomings.
  • Options
    mrrogersmrrogers Member Posts: 391
    Thanks for the well written post about the hybrid RX. The Toyota Prius battery pack is supposed to cost $4K to replace. If the RX hybrid battery is at least $4K, that makes the payback even longer. Lexus is talking about a diesel ES for Germany. Maybe a diesel RX would have a decent payback.
  • Options
    finch3finch3 Member Posts: 113
    I've sold a lot of cars and If I wanted a 5 year old second car, I'd buy it privately. But who buys a used Lexus? If I can afford a Lexus, would I buy a used one from a private party?

Would like some thoughts on this.
  • Options
    Used Lexus cheaper than new Lexus.

I've sold two used Lexus vehicles and each time I've received dozens of calls within a short period of time. Lots of folks like to buy a high-quality, ultra-reliable luxury car and don't mind not being the first owner.

In fact, some folks (like me) take pride in the fact that the last couple vehicles I bought for myself were used, from 1-yr old ('02 Mustang GT 5-spd convertible) to 3 yrs old at the time of purchase('98 LS400).

Remember - everybody drives a used car, right? Some just buy 'em a lot cheaper than others.
  • Options
    nsuttoransuttora Member Posts: 5
    I agree with your assessment of the RX400H due next year. Most likely will command a premium which will not pay for itself with the higher fuel economy. Also, even though Lexus vehicles have good reliability, I'm not sure that this hybrid technology is ready for prime time. Avoiding the first year model may be a wise choice.

Does anyone know what the most popular color is on the RX330? I like the Flint Mica, but also like the Silver and Breakwater Blue.
This discussion has been closed.