Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Crew Canadian Owners

Comments

• Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Are those spinnaz? Hilarious.

-juice
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Spinnerz Yo! 15" hubcap-spinnerz

-mike
  • Options
    joybelljoybell Member Posts: 275
    ...unless I change my mind, is to buy mud/snow tires and use them all year round (like we do on our truck), and get some nice hubcaps like those flashy ones to cover the rust and save myself the labour of sandblasting, painting and naval jellying. For some reason, I didn't think hubcaps would fit onto the Forester's stock rims.
  • Options
    Affordable Bling-Bling.

You should apply for that trailer to get that MTV make-over, not sure I can use that word on these forums, but I think you know what I'm talking about.

Hmm, wheel covers? I bet they fit on the steelies, but on alloys? You gotta see how the lip is shaped. Maybe not.

-juice
  • Options
    I just had a good close look at our 2000 Chevy truck's steel wheels. They don't have a speck of rust at all. Now I will have the dealer look at my 2003 Forester's wheels when I take it in next week. Sure, steel wheels rust, but not this fast! Hubcaps will hide the problem, but it's a problem that shouldn't be there so soon in the first place.
  • Options
    hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    Here's your picture.

Cheers Pat
  • Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    damage from the lug nut socket. You can see the circular scraping on the top two easily. Perhaps someone tightening/loosening them was pushing on it too hard?

I would get something like this http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/DWKS/POR_DWKS_megui3- _pg1.htm to remove it easily and then apply some wax to the lugs and the steel surface regularly.

-Brian
  • Options
  • Options
    Bring up your picture, then right click on the picture, then left click on properties, that gives you the actual URL for the picture.

Highlight the URL then copy and paste into your post per the guide for posting the pic.

I agree with Brian, that damage is caused by someone using a sloppy socket. Remember the wheels are pulled at the dealership as part of the pre delivery inspection.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    Thanks, Pat, for the pic paste tip. I didn't know that the dealership went as far as that (taking the wheels off). They didn't even take the glue off the windshield. I thought someone must have been too much in a hurry in Japan! I doubt the dealership will admit to it now, 9 months later, and besides it looks like an easy fix if that product Brian linked to works. I didn't like the "sandblast" idea too much.
  • Options
    The steel is galvanized before it's painted, but it almost looks like they scraped the paint and the galvanized coating off when they installed the lugs.

-juice
  • Options
    pon1pon1 Member Posts: 196
    As soon as anyone has any Canadian info on the 05s, please share....esp for the Outback and Legacy line. In particular I would like confirmation that we are not getting the Outback XT, only the Limited.

Cheers, JP
  • Options
    cbmortoncbmorton Member Posts: 252
    I've seen the dealer info sheet for the 2005 Impreza line-up, but nothing like that on the new Legacy/Outback, although I've seen an '05 Legacy on the road.

However, the official Subaru of Canada web site for the 2005 Outback (www.subaruoutback.ca) specifically mentions and shows a picture of the Outback 2.5XT as well as the 3.0R and 3.0R VDC. My dealer said he expects to see actual cars on the lot in the first part of June.
  • Options
    My 05 brochure and my dealer tell me we are getting the Outback XT Limited but not the cloth seat/no moonroof/cheaper base Outback XT. I was hoping for the latter as an alternative to the Forester XT PP1, as this is at the top of my price range. I assume we will get confirmation and prices soon as these are now public domain in the US. I have not checked the subaru.ca site lately as it doesnt open on my work PC. JP
  • Options
    OK, I see what you mean. The SoC press release for the 2005 Outback only mentions one turbo model, the 2.5XT, and says it has leather and sunroof. We probably will see the official pricing in the near future. I'd prefer a base XT with cloth myself.
  • Options
    volkovvolkov Member Posts: 1,306
    Sounds like they are following suit with many of the other manufacturers where the fancy engine only comes in the upper trim level. At least Subie offers a transmission choice. Just try getting leather in a 5 speed Honda or Toyota.
    Nicholas
  • Options
    Are you getting the Legacy XT, non-limited, though? It's priced much lower than the Outback XT.

-juice
  • Options
    Yes Canada is getting the base Legacy GT and GT LTD for 05 in MT and auto and wagon and sedan. Only downside over the OB is the ground clearance/approach angles and slightly higher seating, which I would miss. Is the GT going to have fancy "ground effects" to further lower the body or will it be the same as the Leg 2.5i?

Actually drove an 04 h6 Outback last night, I much prefer the 05 Forester XT. What I really want is a slightly stretched Forester XT with slightly better fuel economy and slightly lower cruising rpm, and of course all the improvements added to the Outback/Legacy for 05. For the price of a TS wagon ;)
  • Options
    make that 04 Forester XT, havent driven an O5 yet
  • Options
    Check need-desire.com for the ground effects. I don't think the sides are different, the bumpers might be.

-juice
  • Options
    sibbaldsibbald Member Posts: 106
    Has anyone heard about SOC extending head gasket replacement beyond 100,000 kilometers? I read a posting by Juice on one of Edmunds Subaru sites about SOA extending this replacement to 100,000 miles/8 years.

My friend who bought his 2000 Outback a month after me had his go last week at 102,000 k. The dealer in Victoria did it under warranty. I am now sitting at 92,000 k. and starting to hope it fails real soon!

Tom
  • Options
    Yep, SoA will extend the warranty to 8/100k (miles) but only *IF* you agree to use the coolant conditioner.

Is SoC doing something similar? I would think so, at least the use of the coolant conditioner. Did you get that yet?

-juice
  • Options
    juice we did not get that coolant campaign yet, as with everything else they do SOC is still dithering around.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    We can only hope they (SOC) do the right thing and give us back the 2.2L engine!
  • Options
    luck11luck11 Member Posts: 425
    for the Outback XT, base. I like the idea of the turbo, but don't care for the leather. Still, I'm afraid pricing might be more than what I am willing to pay. Just have to wait for Cdn pricing. Called my dealer and they told me that they expect 1st shipment in mid-end June, with pricing only a couple of weeks prior.(based on previous years)
  • Options
    Legacy 2.5GT is $2 grand less here and only gives up a couple of very minor things, plus it's sportier.

-juice
  • Options
    Its an option, but my wife prefers the exterior aesthetics of the Outback. At 6'4", I like the higher ground clearance and slightly greater headroom of the Outback. Nevertheless, I won't discount either until I am able to sit behind the wheel and take them both for a spin ;)
  • Options
    Does it still have more headroom?

I think the Legacy adopted the Outback's taller roof line since 2000, and it's been the same. Unless the seat is mounted lower, but I'd almost expect the opposite.

-juice
  • Options
     Is the only difference, headroom is the same, unless you are comparing the difference between the moonroof and no moonroof.

The Outback is after all basically the legacy with some plastic panels tacked on and 1" more ground clearance.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    Only now it's more like 2-3" taller. Bigger tires and taller springs, prolly softer ride, I'm guessing.

-juice
  • Options
    The extra ride height would be nice when you are physically challenged as I am, having to hunker down to get in a car is painful for me.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    I like that about our Forester, vs. our Legacy, but am I willing to pay $2 grand just for that? No.

I'll wait to drive them, but the Leg GT looks like the better value to me.

-juice
  • Options
    Our dealer is as confused as I am about the upper end of the Canadian OB line up. They are waiting for the prices, specs and order sheets, whic should show up "any day".

You guys in the US are lucky - at least you know what you are getting and how much it's going to cost, even if you cant see/drive it yet.

I am flip-flopping approx every hour between the Legacy GT wagon and the FXT (and some days also cross shopping the OB 3.0R) on the assumption prices on these will be close. Seen all three at the car show in March - like them all - but need to drive all three before making a decision, or have options eliminated by Subaru's canadian pricing.

I'm guessing it's going to be a Crystal Gray 05 Forester XT in MT, unless Subaru have managed to impart "personality" (which the FXT has in spades) into the Legacy/OB, and also made it feel compact enough for my other half to not feel intimidated.

There is one red 04 FXT MT PP2 (yes MT, leather and moonroof all in the same car) sitting on the lot with 0% over 24 mths, that too is an option. The dealer has had a quiet April, I wonder how quiet.......
  • Options
    Yup, you're right. For some reason, I thought I saw somewhere that Outback had about 1" more headroom.....no sunroof/vs no sunroof. I must have misread my numbers. Well, perhaps greater argument to consider the Legacy. But still like the higher ride height of the Outback. Anyway, time will tell. Need to drive em'.
  • Options
    Pon1, was it your dealer that told you that they should expect prices "any day"?
  • Options
    Geez, I'm turning out to be a unreliable source of info! I called my dealer back, prompted by your posting. THIS TIME....I spoke to the Sales Manager instead of some sales guy. You were right...prices any day now.

He confirmed that availability of the OB XT Ltd will be limited (doh!).

Orders are in. They have 4 OB XT Limited coming (2 in June, 2 in July) The inventory sheets he was reviewing on the phone suggested that no Legacy GT (turbos) were on order, at least not for June July. He was going to check on this for me.

My Sub dealer is largest volume Sub dealer in Eastern Ont and Western Quebec.....also top 4 in country. With only 4 coming here, my guess is that he's not far off in saying that XT's will be hard to come by, although, I fear the price is going to be out of my range..thus a moot point.

They are planning on having a launch event for the 05s, invite only.....my name is on the list :)

I'll post new bits of info as they come. Please do the same.

Cheers!
  • Options
    You sparked my interest here. Ever since our Subaru dealership in Valleyfield, Qc closed in March last year, we have had to go to the dealer in Montreal (Subaru des Sources...where I bought my Forester). I'm wondering if your dealer is closer since I'm right near the Qc/Ont border. Can you give me the name and location? Thanks!
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Joybell

If you go to the SOC site, you can locate any Subie dealer. Here's the direct link to "Dealer Locator" on the SOC site.

http://www.subaru.ca/interface/Subaru02/DealerLocate01.asp?WebPag- - eID=4776&WebSiteID=282

Bob
  • Options
    That map is useless. It still points me to Caron Subaru in Valleyfield as the closest dealer. They closed over a year ago!
  • Options
    I assume he's talking about Westboro Subaru in Ottawa, I believe they move the most Subarus in Ontario. I'm in Montreal often and I'd say Subaru des Sources is still your best bet. There's a dealer on Taschereau on the south shore in the St-Lambert area I think but I don't see that being a shorter trip.
  • Options
    Yes, I don't think there is one closer than Subaru des Sources, but I was hoping. Ottawa is too far north. As for Subaru Riv-Sud, they are actually a little bit closer but when I was shopping for my Forester a salesman there told me to hurry up and buy a 2003 because the 2004 Foresters will no longer have a boxer engine but a V6 instead! So if their salesmen are so misinformed what are the mechanics like? I'm hoping that someone will open up a dealership in Valleyfield again. It was great when the Latreille family had it in the 80s (Tim, their son, used to rally), and after that Caron had it (whose salesmen used to buy up their clients' Subaru "junkers" for ice racing).
  • Options
    We have three dealers in the Ottawa/Gatineau region including:

Westboro, Ogilvie Motors (both in Ottawa) and Gatineau Subaru.

I'm referring to Westboro specifically. I was very happy with the buying experience (worked directly with Sales mngr by fax and phone) and have always been impressed (over the last 4.5 yrs) with their service. Only one incident when one of their service reps promised my car at a certain time and did not deliver, making me wait over an hour. No big deal. They have performed a few "goodwill" repairs/replacements as well. By far best service I have ever had. I love it when I drop my car off filthy and pick it up clean!
  • Options
    where is the canadian pricing on 05s..........

anyone got anything on anything????

even final confirmation on the 05 OB line up???

it's enough to make you want to move to the US :)

I figure SoC are still deciding on final specs and pricing - or there is a huge inventory of 04s lying around - or more likley both, either way no one in the genral populace knows this car is coming

anyways, having read a bunch of UK and aussie reviews I just placed a refundable deposit on an OB 3.0R base wagon (if such a thing really exists in canada) in willow/moss green. Also still have a good deal intact on a 05 FXT if all else fails.

any day now.....

JP
  • Options
    JP, nothing from my end so far. Although, I'm starting to wonder if the "any day now" phrase is being used as a hook to keep us interested.

Interesting about the deposit. Did you negotiate a final price (ie. % of over invoice)? Just wondering if putting your money down now limits your ability to negotiate a fair price if you decide you like the car. Thoughts?

Cheers.
  • Options
    Complicated, but the deal is already "done"

Traded my 2000 Forester L in March as credit against an 05 FXT which they will sell me at the 04 FXT price. With a trade in it's hard to say what the deal really was. It "feels" like about 1000 over invoice. Some may think this high but up here import cars dont sell at invoice, in fact most seem to go close to MSRP.

Now I am wavering between the OB and the Forester....I know I can get an FXT this summer as there will be plenty of 05s but OB XT/H6s will be inshort supply.

So, I am basing my deal on the difference between the 05 Leg/OB range and the FXT. I expect to have to add up to $2000 to the final total to get into an OB XT or 3.0R, more if I have to go to LTD spec. I have no doubt they will try and base the upgrade fee from the FXT deal on MSRP, but we will discuss this if it becomes a reality.

Clear??

JP
  • Options
    I have posted numerous times about the H6 3.0R wagon "cloth model" coming to Canada. This was based on the car show brochure. Sorry - this not correct. We are not getting it. The brochures were wrong. My dealer just called SOC to confirm. I had suspected this may happen as it would have entailed building a special Canada only OB. Our 3.0R will I believe be virtually the same as the LL Bean, but without the badges.

So in Canada, all Outbacks except the base OB 2.5i will have leather seats and moonroof. Shame on you SOC for not giving us the choice of cloth/non LTD in one of the Outback models with more scoot. I'm sure this will change but I cant wait for 06.

Of course the Leg GT will be avail in cloth, but I want a bit more ground clearance.

So my deposit now rests on the Garnet Red OB XT LTD, which will be "under 40k", and I'm hoping substantially under. It will switch to an 05 FXT in the new crystal gray if the above OB is too spendy.

Still no news on prices and delivery times....

JP
  • Options
    After all, we did get a "Canada Only" Forester MT with moonroof, and USA didn't. We also got the Forester Dura-something in 2000? (can't remember the name) which was I think a more rugged version of the Forester for off-road, again for Canada only. I talked to SOC a few months ago and was told that unless there is a "big" demand for a particular model, SOC sources ALL vehicles (and accessories) through SOA because of "quantity savings". So how do you establish demand? Complain to your dealer!
  • Options
    Since the US is getting this anyway. I am hoping SoC brings in this model, but indications so for is no for 05. Why?? Maybe hard to find a price for the base OBXT (no moonroof, no leather) that doesnt make the WRX and FXT seem overpriced (which they are a little). SoC if you are listening - $36.5K would be fine.
  • Options
    volkovvolkov Member Posts: 1,306
    You have to be kidding. If you compare to the same trim models PP1/PP2, you are only paying about $1500 for that 2.5 turbo motor. That's giving it away.
    I do agree that the WRX is overpriced. Worse still is that prices didn't come down as our dollar got stronger, so they are cheaper in the US by a big margin. Most people are paying about 29-30k U$, off the lot. That's much less than us.
    What are they paying for FXT's, do you know?

Nicholas
This discussion has been closed.