Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• gatogato Member Posts: 5
    Actually MB rose to top 5 in that survey. And just to provide counterpoint to all the complaints in this forum, I repeat that both my 2000 E320 4matic wagon and especially my 2005 E500 4matic wagon have been great cars to own and trouble-free.
  • r1_97r1_97 Member Posts: 181
    It usually means the gas filler cap isn't on tightly. I have same engine light issue after I had new air filter installed by independent service. Gas cap is secured though. I'll take it to the dealer Mon. Car is still under warranty.
  • hjtw888hjtw888 Member Posts: 5
    #174 ABS/ESP malfunction by dcman2 Apr 30, 2003
    I own a 2001 E320 with 14k miles on it.
    I did not quite understand how a stop light malfunction causes a brake malfunction. Anyway, after service, the mechanic tried to start the car. The ignition does not recognize the key and the car refuses to start. The dealer is ordering a new key. Any of you ever had a problem like this?

#452 Re: ABS/ESP malfunction [dcman2] by brig Mar 14, 2005
    hi- having the same problem currently with my 2001 E320. last summer i had the same ABS/ESP malfunction happen to me while i was driving the car. i called the dealership and they suggested for me to turn of the car and re start and see if it happened again. it never did. then in november the car would not start one evening and i ended up towing it. i called tele aid and they had never heard of it. i went and got my other key and it started. then yesterday that key stopped working and had to have the car towed again. now i have two keys that will not operate the vehicle. the tow truck driver had seen this before.

Had key malfunctioning problem on my 99E320 at 40K miles.
    When key is in ignition and turned, cannot fire up the engine. The starter keeps cranking without you holding the key.
    My friend experienced similar problem with his ML and said there is a malfunctioning chip inside the key and not recognized by the engine resulting in sending an engine kill signal to disable the car, an anti theft design. He ordered new key from the dealer with programing at total $120.
    Drove to wife office to get 2nd key and it worked and fired up the engine. After that, the first key also worked.
    A week later, it happened again. Now both keys don't work. Stranded at night, called MBZ 24 hours service. Operator instructed to use manual key to lock and unlock the door, then use the original key to start again. Won't work and MBZ operator now says it is the fuel injector/engine not getting gasoline and the car must be towed to MBZ dealership for repair.
    As there is no dealership service open at Saturday night, return to car after dinner, 3 hours later. Using original key, the car started, and the second key also worked.

What seems to be the problem? The keys, or the engine will start only when cold or 2-3 hours after the engine cools down?

Someone also suggested in case of car computer problem showing malfunctioning display, disconnect the battery and reconnect after 5-10 minutes. The computer will reset itself. Would that solve some of the problem?
  • bigrobnhbigrobnh Member Posts: 114
    I've seen someplace that the transmitter window on the key (look at the front of your "key" and you can see a little round window) can get dirty and cause the car to not start. If you clean that, it'll work again. Is it possible that the receiving side of the connection (what you are plugging your key into) is grimy or something? You may want to try cleaning that with a q-tip or something.

This is just a guess...

Regards,
    BigRob.
  • scottphillipscottphillip Member Posts: 249
    I have had pretty good luck with my 05 MB. :):) I have two, and they have only been in service for minor problems. I really like the controls on the E-class, and the way you can customize your display--I prefer to have the digital speed in the center of the instruments. The advantage of the nav system in the MB is that you can enter data without stopping. Lexus makes you stop the car to enter an address.
  • mezecamezeca Member Posts: 66
    Point number one: There is a fix to significantly reduce this noise, it has been mentioned in this forum more than once.
    Point number two: Did any of you who are complaining about this noise being excessive not notice it during the test drive?
    Point number three: I have 12000 + trouble free miles on my Benz. Has only been to the dealer for an A-service, and two tire repairs from nails that the dealer took care of for free.
    I am very happy with my purchase and would do so again in a heart beat, the new E55 wagon that I just saw in the showroom is going to be the next one in the garage.
  • robertg1robertg1 Member Posts: 7
    Point 1. The car has been taken to the dealer several times. I showed the copies of e-mails. I was told there is nothing that can be done.
    Point 2. My wife drove the car and did not notice the noise. Buyer beware!
    Point 3 I am glad you are happy with your car. I was happy with my three previous MB. This one is so noisy it is embarassing to have anyone riding with us. The question is ; what is that groaning noise.
  • nicktherabbitnicktherabbit Member Posts: 14
    Robert - I experienced a similar issue with noisy brakes on my 04 E320. My dealer "fixed" the problem with a felt pad - installed between the pump motor and mounting connection. I am not sure if this was an MB fix or local, but I rarely hear the pump and sometimes feel a gentle pulsation lasting about 4 seconds ... My MB dealer is Fletcher Jones in Newport Beach, CA - they have been great and would suggest having your service manager contact FJ directly to discuss this "fix" ... I have had most, if not all, of the issues discussed here - the dealer has not let me down on discussing the problems, suggesting a fix and follow-through. I cannot imagine enjoying another car more, but the problems can be very frustrating. My next purchase will be based on any future issues going forward, if a clean record I will be back, if not then I will look at something else. Good luck.
    Thank you for the specifics. I will again copy your e-mail and ask that my dealer contact yours. My dealer is Benzel Busch in NJ. I would really love to have this noise brought to the level you mention. Thanks again.
  • willswills Member Posts: 2
    I had a small amount of water spill onto my center console... Same thing happened to me - - shifter locked. I read the owner's manual, and used a pen to unlock it - - driving home in 2nd gear. Why does this happen?

MB wants to control the process after these ridiculous mishaps. They want us all to dutifully tow our cars into them for expensive repairs.

Does anyone out there have a solution to this particular problem? Does the electronic transmission control module have to be replaced? Can this be fixed at home?

Why in the world would MB leave the central nervous system of the car so exposed - - directly under the sunroof - - and drinkholder ?
  • david21david21 Member Posts: 3
    I had the same problem with my 2000 E320 at about 40,000 miles. The local dealership fixed it underwaranty but the service manager said if it were to happen again they would have to bill me. Having talked to other e class drivers, I know of at least two other similar situations locally.

It is a foolish design. I don't know if it changed with the remodel in 2003. I don't think it to be something you can fix yourself (unless you are a way better man than I) Maybe someone else can add some insight. Best to just be extremely careful with the starbucks.

Sorry
  • willswills Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the response, david21... I understand that your repair was under warranty - - do you happen to know what they did to fix it (ie: did they give you a mock invoice to itemize the parts replaced)?

I want to de-mystify the process, and hold the dealership to the necessary solution... I can't afford an expensive M/B wild goose chase that involves 47 sensors, modules, and widgets...

The dealership says I need a whole new shifter assembly, which includes the "Electronic Transmission Control (ETC) module... Pricetag around $600 + labor... My concern (beyond THAT) is that they'll fabricate another 6 issues while they're in service surgery...

All this for an ounce of water on the center console... The car only has 65k on it...
  • hleventhalhleventhal Member Posts: 1
    E500 2005
    several times a day the radio screen flickers between normal color and black screen and simultaneously the climate control screen changes from gray to white or from white to gray unpredictably. It is quirky and irritating but does not seem to effect the function of either the music system, the navigator system or the climate control. The dealership thus far has been unable to find the cause
    Please help!
    herb
    It sounds like it is going back and forth between the daytime lighting mode and the evening lighting mode. Is your headlight control switch set to "auto"? Probably a stretch but it might be related to the ambient light sensor.
  • sreinersreiner Member Posts: 1
    How did you end up fixing this. This happened to me this past weekend, second time. The first time what little liquid there was, dried up , I replace nothing and the car worked fine. This time after I had it towed to the dealer they are telling me I need a new shifter.

I have a friend that this has also happened to and she has never had anything replaced. I am curious what any of you had done.
  • fisheadfishead Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 E320. Out of the blue the car starts vibrating and making a clicking noise. MB said the bearing are bad and also you have to replace the entire hub assembly because it is compressed into one piece. And you can not purchase the tool to take the hub off to replace the hub yourself. Is this true or false?
  • dmico2dmico2 Member Posts: 1
    I'm thinking of purchasing a 2000 E-320. The car has 66k miles on it and is spotless both inside and out. I would like to get some thoughts on this based on everyone's experience. Thanks.
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Member Posts: 336
    Have a 2001 E320. Bought it 2/04. Almost no problems. It is a Starmark car from MB. Assume yours is from a private party. Check all service records. Also MB has recommended from 98 that ONLY Mobile 1 oil be used. 0-40 is the correct wgt. Sounds like a very good price. Good luck.
    PS If at MB dealer tell them you want it "Starmarked"
  • rayjet2rayjet2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a '04 E500 4matic with 28k miles and I keep getting excessive wear on one tire before the others. The tire starts to cup and the car starts to chatter. This has happened on the original tires, my winter tires and now this new set with 6kmiles. The car has been back to the dealer many times for aliments and balancing but they can't seem to stop it from happening. The dealer is trying to tell me its the New England roads, I don't buy it. I had the same problem with the '03 E500 sport MB had to replace because of many other issues. That car spent it's entire life in Florida.

Is anybody else have similar tire problems?

Thanks,

Ray
  • acemaxacemax Member Posts: 3
    About once every month or so when I go to start my car and put it into Drive, it goes into D1 or D2 instead of Drive. As soon as I realize there is a drag on the car, I have to pull over, turn the motor off, and then restart the engine & then it goes into Drive. This happens seldom, but it concerns me. Any suggestions or other people having this problem? This is my only problem with this pre-owned car. Thanks.
  • acemaxacemax Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 E-320 that did that same thing. For some reason, it stopped, so there is hope. I suppose it will start up again some day.
  • paz2paz2 Member Posts: 1
    All warning lights (except check engine) have suddenly come on with the ASR, ABS ones going off for a few seconds and than back on.

At one point the AC and the radio stopped but came back. Even the accelerator stopped responding even thought the motor was still idling fine.

Anyone has any idea what the problem could be.
  • harley3harley3 Member Posts: 10
    I have a CDI - 05 .experiencing similar scenario ......... waiting to take car in ..... also, experiencing a vibration in the drivers seat in stop and go traffic. Also, when I start up in the am, car delays going into drive .............
    I have an 05 CDI with the same problem . I thought it was just an exception . I guess not .......
    On the new Eclass ????
    What years and what was the recall for .. unable to open / access the website listed ......
  • pearlpearl Member Posts: 336
    According to my local Merc dealer, there is no XM radio option (and neither the brochure nor any of the internet sites list it as available). The dealer said that they could get a local radio shop to put one in, but I wasn't too turned on by that info. Would hate to see some aftermarket gizmos stuck into the dash. You can get Sirrius radio as an option, which some people like more; however, for me, XM has some channels that I want that Sirrius doesn't.
    Have 2001 E320. Added XM @ Best Buy. Had Roady 2 mounted IN the ashtray compartment. No problem. When you don't want it you can close the lid.
  • scooby6scooby6 Member Posts: 9
    Got a new 2006 E350 2 weeks ago, the last week of which it has been back at the dealer (MB of Alexandria). The Dynamic Seats make this annoying double "clicking" noise that alternates between the driver and passenger seats - the car doesn't even have to be running, just put the key in the ignition and you hear it. It happens non-stop until you remove the key. I found numerous posts on the net about complaints of this, and many puzzled dealers, who oftentimes conclude "it's normal" - As did this dealer, even though I showed them technically bulletin by MB (P-B-91.25/86) entitled "Dyanmic Seat Intermittently Emits Noise" and indicated a valve has to be replaced. However, dealer claims this is not the same issue. Perhaps, but this is an annoying issue. And I didn't even want these seats, but this was the only car they had with Navigation system (so they said). Anyone else had this issue and is there a resolution?

Problem 2: A/C on auto mode doesn't seem to want to stop running. It will start out full blast (or close thereto) and stay at that level long after the cabin has cooled, thereby causing excessively cold temperature. Requires system to be manually overridden. Dealer said this was because the first week I had the car it was VERY hot that week, and that this is normal. Anyone else with this issue?

Problem 3: AM radio is reception sucks and/or speakers make slight crackling noise (just on AM band). Showed dealer a new MB tech bulletin on this also (P-B-82.62/361a) titled "Crackling and Static Noises from Speakers When Radio is On." Requires fixing the grounding on the audio gateway. However, dealer claims this bulletin relates to something else and that my radio reception is normal. Anyone else with these issues?

Problem 4. I get a brand new car, take it back a few days later, and they put in a loaner car --> PURPLE Chevy, with the "low fuel" light on. Outrageous. After 3 days of the Chevy, I stopped by to check on the car and no one had a clue as to the status. They then switched me to an E500 loaner.

Otherwise, it seems like a nice car, but I haven't really had a chance to drive it much. Only other complaints are cupholders are a joke for a car this price level, center armrest is too small, and side-view mirrors are dangerously small.
  • r1_97r1_97 Member Posts: 181
    Sounds like your dealer is giving you a run around. Start documenting your problem (problem, date to dealer, employee told you what, etc.) Insist clicking noise be fixed, same for A/C freeze, radio reception...) Check on lemon law in your state and let dealer know you don't want to hear anything about defects excused as normal operation.
  • scooby6scooby6 Member Posts: 9
    Regarding my problems with the 2006 E350, it turns out the dealer typed in a wrong number on the lease. There's a fee to exercise the end of term purchase option of $150, but they typed $350 in my lease. When they left the message that I needed to come by and sign a new lease with that change, I did not really care since it was such a small difference. The next day, the show up at my work unannounced trying to get me to sign a new lease (while my new leased car is in their shop). I said I was busy and just to leave it with me and I would look it over. Apparently, they could not do that. So when I picked up the car today (and none of the problems were fixed - dealer said all were normal), they tried to get me to sign a new lease again. When I said what happens if I don't, they wouldn't answer. Finally, they said MB would just send me a postcard notifying me of a change - so fine. Later today,they call me at my office saying that MB won't "do the deal" unless I sign a new lease with this tiny $200 difference. I mentioned my car was still not working and they said they would get w/ service dept. and make sure things get fixed and they would call me Monday and resolve everything. I then call MB Credit and discuss the situation (anonymously), and they say that shouldn't hold up the deal. While I'm on the phone, I notice the dealer DID NOT EVEN SIGN THE LEASE ! MB credit said that is likely why the lease isn't going through. I haven't discussed this with the dealer yet. Makes sense as the person who did the lease that day was filling in for that day and doesn't normally draw up the leases

To complicate things, they took my Acura RL and agreed to payoff the lease (which had 4 payments left) and take the car. So that car is long gone. Though they haven't paid it off yet I've come to find out.

Sounds like a mess. But since they didn't sign the lease, and I have the car, what is my best course of action?? I like the car, I just want it to work properly. Is it possible to just walk away from this with no signed lease (would I even get the Acura back), or leverage this to have them just replace it with a new car (which I would carefully examine for similar problems), which would save the time of having the go through the lemon law statutes.

What a mess!
  • pguptapgupta Member Posts: 6
    I have a 4 month old E320 with 3200 miles on it. After the 3000 mile diagnostic check-up, for the first time, I got a Low Battery message. Went away in 2-3 mins. Everything was normal for a few days. Since last evening, I have recieved the same message like 5 time over a 60 min driving period. All of the convenience features stop working, AC fan turns to lowest speed possible.

I took it to the dealer. The dealer flashed the software for the alternator. Saying that the software was old and there was an alternator update. After 10 days, this morning after about 600 miles...the same message comes back on three times in quick succession. So I take it in. The advisor says he may have to replace the battery or the alternator..am waiting to hear from them. Any one with similar problems or has an advice.
  • tk45stk45s Member Posts: 5
    I have a 4 month old 2005 E-320 wagon. Yesterday I spent a night at a camp ground and slept in the car. In the morning there was a bit condensed water on the inside faces of window glasses (on rear windows, not front) as expected. However, the command center failed to launch. It just showed the big Mercedes logo and seemed to be trying to read DVD all the time. My guess is that its DVD reader somehow had moisture condensed on it. But there was only moisture on glasses in the morning, nothing on the wood trim, leathre, ... How could that bit of moisture go into the command center?

I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow. Meanwhile if you had similar experience please throw in you opinions.

Best,
  • mw2727mw2727 Member Posts: 1
    Doing research for a new car purchase currently. This forum has been enlightening to say the least. Think maybe Mercedes (Chrystler) may have a significant problem in the future?...well anyway, guess I'll swing by the Lexus dealer now, their forum seems to be VERY positive!
  • sailsail Member Posts: 17
    Wise choice :)
    Oh yeah, go ahead and look at the Lexus forums........how many complaints are their about the hesitation problem with the transmission, even after the "firmware" update. What about the rattles, the engine noise, etc. I guess I'm wasting my time, you probably already made up your mind without really looking at all the complaints on that board.
  • garyh1garyh1 Member Posts: 394
    Oh yeah, go ahead and look at the Lexus forums........how many complaints are their [sic] about the hesitation problem with the transmission, even after the "firmware" update

I was surprised to see this comment. I only closely follow the LS forums, but as far as I can recollect, everyone who ever had the software (not firmware) update on the '04-'05 models affected by hesitation later posted that that fixed the problem and they loved their car. I also just did a search on the forums on the new GSs on the word "hesitation", and about the only thing that comes up are people saying they wouldn't "hesitate" to recommend Lexus. Can you point us to any posts to the contrary?

As someone who owns 2 E320s (a '94 wagon and a '98 sedan, both bought new)and just bought an Lexus LS, I can say that build quality and reliability were big reasons why I originally bought my 2 MBs, and the same reasons I gave up on MB this time and went with the LS. For not much more than a new E (and much less than a comparably equipped S), the LS is much roomier and more comfortable; and if you liked the looks of the previous generation E, it's not hard to like the LS-- the deserved knock on it is that the LS styling is derivative of the Benz, but there are worse styles to emulate!

If anyone compares the comments on the MB Problems & Solutions forums to the Lexus Problems & Solutions forums, you'll quickly see a big difference: MB owners are complaining about their new cars, and LS owners are asking about issues with their 10-15 year old cars.

My bottom line: if MB gets its reliability back, I'd go for the MB, based on its slight drivability advantage; but until that happens, if reliability and roominess are important to you, go with the LS.
    I had the car in for the 12K check up. I asked that they try to do something with the noise problem. They did. I can still hear it but it is not annoying as it was before. Hope you have some luck with yours.
  • pvellozopvellozo Member Posts: 19
    i have a 2002 e 320 which has been a pleasure to own.i now have a message that the brake linings need to be changed. is there any advantage to getting this done at the dealership, versus a generic brake shop like sears? thanks
  • bobodreadrastabobodreadrasta Member Posts: 8
    I am looking at a 1995 e320 or 1995 e420. Any opinions on the reliability difference.

I have had MB for the last 14 years, both dealer bought and gray market and believe them to be the best cars (along with BMW).
  • ccmbduong1ccmbduong1 Member Posts: 49
    Go with non-dealer service. Mine chaged at 1/2 price that dealer would charge me. Find someone you trust who has serviced MB and go with it. No difference, 1/2 the cost. I NEVER bring my MB to MB dealer
    Look at the ES and RX forums, the complaints are plentiful, with most people saying that the "firmware" either did not fix the problem, or only made it worse.

While you are there, look at how many disappointed RX owners are there. Look at the response post about all the TSB's for noises and other issues.

Also, you say that MB owners are complaining about their cars. You are comparing one model(LS) to all of MB. You are right about the lack of activity on the LS board(even during the transmission and fuel pump recall in 04), but their is a great deal of activity on the ES and RX forums. Being that the RX is their biggest seller, that is saying something.

The LS is a good value for what you get. But it is not roomier than an S-class, unless you compare it to the short wheel base S350, which was just released in this country. The S-class has many advantages over an LS, but those are never talked about, because most people only want to factor the LS's JD Power survey score.

If you only look at JD Powers surveys, then I think you will be mislead. Unless all you care about is "reliability"(which to me, is the most misconstrued term in the automotive industry), then you should look no further than the "Power" surveys. Take Strategic Vision for instance, and look who tied for first. It is obvious that there are many owners who are very happy with their Benz's. To me, a software update on my Comand unit doesn't make me think my car is unreliable, but to JD Powers it does.
  • garyh1garyh1 Member Posts: 394
    I don't disagree with anything in your post #615, except I need to point out that what I was saying in my post was that the LS is roomier than the E (the forum in which we are posting), not that it is roomier than the S.

As a long time (and still current) E owner, I merely was sharing my own cross-shopping experience which ended up with my purchase of an LS. My comments were not directed to, nor even mentioned, the GS or ES. And I don't think I have ever seen anyone claim the current E is either as reliable as, or as roomy as, an LS. But the E certainly has (at least IMO) advantages over the LS, particularly in drivability as I specifically mentioned.
  • mark435mark435 Member Posts: 1
    I'm new to this group but I'm crtainly bgining to experiance th electrical problems of others in the group. My 1996 diesel has 190K miles and othr than the intermitant electircal issues has been trouble free. (Issues are intermitant failure of speedo, cruise control, and of course light bulbs.) Recently however th car has stopped running while driving! It will restart after a fw minutes but before it restarts it acts like the security system has been activated. i.e. lights on rearview mirror flash car will turnover but not start.

Any on else have this happn and hav a clu what to look at first?????

Mark
  • wimpywimpy Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2003 E320-It is a piece of junk. Supposed to have been delivered with phone which I finally got 5 months later when I threatened to have them prosecuted for fraud! Radio works sometimes. Electric remote locks work sometime. Transmission shifts very rough when downshifting at low speeds.
    Had a CLK 320 which has been drinking oil although only 66000 miles on it. They said they needed to do an oil consumption test but they changed the oil a few months ago and knew the mileage so they could have drained the oil pan, measured the volume and known how much was used in that mileage interval. I confronted the general manager at the dealer and he gave me the name of the regional MB rep and phone number. I called and they never heard of that person.
    I guess they thought my wife would stop on the side of the interstate and call up to ask what to do about the oil light that was on just for something to break the monotony. Of course, MB is stupid. The dealer put new valve cover gaskets on the covers on the car under warranty but there was no oil on the engine or the garage floor. If MB is so dumb that they let the dealer screw them that way, they deserve it.
    Have the same problems but also car chokes down when downshifting as when roundng a corner. I hate to tell you but the brakes grabbing and the problems you describe are those of a Mercedes. I'll never own another one
  • ghuletghulet Member Posts: 2,564
    ....my mom STILL has a 300E (an '88 with almost 400k miles on the original engine and transmission) and has been considering, for a while, replacing it with a newer E320 (2001-2002). I don't know if I can recommend her doing that after reading all these horror stories. At least the previous generation (which she'd be buying) seems to have fared better than the current models. Maybe I'll just tell her to keep the old 300 til it dies, or replace it with a Lexus, Infiniti, or hell, even an Accord.
    Take two tylenol and wrap a cold rag around your head. You'll feel better in a little while. We all have those moments of erratic behaviour such as buying a mercedes, I had two.
    Bought a 2001 E320 abought 18 mos ago. Car has been great.Exception is the crappy AM radio. Have installed XM. No real problems tho. Recommend getting a Certified car from dealer.
  • roaringmouseroaringmouse Member Posts: 4
    My mother bought her E350 just last month. On Thursday, her car suddenly was unable to exceed 15mph. It had to be towed to the dealership.

When the customer service rep test drove the car, he told my mother that it was a problem with the transmission. The dealer gave her a loaner car to drive until her car could be fixed.

On Friday, at the end of the business day, the dealership phoned my mother and told her that one of the service mechanics would be *taking the car home with him for the weekend*.

The service mechanic that would be taking her car lives 40 miles from the dealership in an area of L.A. that I *really* would NOT be comfortable parking a $50k car in. What's the deal? Is this NORMAL??

Firstly, I take issue with a new car, only a month owned, already having problems. But above and beyond that, I find it incredibly dodgy for a mechanic to take someone's car off the premises and keep it at their home for the weekend!

The dealership assured my mother that it's par for the course and they are insured, should anything happen to her car; however, if something DID happen to her car, it would pay for repairs, not replace her car. Therefore, her new car would become a salvage.

Does anyone have any advice? Is it common for the 2006 E350 to have transmission problems? Is it a common and acceptable procedure for a mechanic (at the MB dealership, mind you) to take the client's car home with them?

Thanks.