Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2008 Toyota Highlander

Comments

• Options
    toyseekertoyseeker Member Posts: 81
    Mileage:
    I am in NY State... and can only buy E10 in the county where I live. Over the holiday's, I took a long road trip - over 1,000 miles - into PA and WV and kept track of the gasoline mix and mileage... here is my summary from an earlier post (2018):

Gas Mileage:
    E10 mixed: 19-20 MPG
    E10 highway: 22 MPG
    E10 towing (mixed): 10-13 MPG

Pure Gasoline highway: 24.5-26 MPG (no ethanol)

Half of the trip was with the back filled to the roof (3rd row seat folded down) with gifts, purchases, etc. Probably close to 7-800 lbs (lots of glass, liquids, etc). The towing was not part of this trip.

Too bad I can only get E10 in the county where I live... I still think the shift points are set wrong (way too aggressive), but have basically accepted it.

It was a very nice trip - with none of the usual discomfort from being 'cramped up' for 7+hrs at a time.

Braking:
    I've only noticed this in Toyota automatic transmissions, but it is probably there in others as well. I'm a manual guy and am used to braking while in neutral - but I do perceive some unexpected 'drift' when lightly applying the brakes. Its almost like the OD is disengaging or the torque converter is releasing... I've still not really learned how to drive an automatic !!

Both the HL and my wifes car will feel like they are down shifting when braking on a downhill. Members of this board explained to me that this is the OD disengaging - in case you intend to "slam" the brakes - this keeps the engine running :) This seems plausible, even though it 'seems' like an unnecessary use of fuel to spin the engine faster on a downhill! I have experienced this in a 5-speed several times -- a very quick deceleration without depressing the clutch will stall the engine! But maybe the disengage point could be at a lower speed (30 instead of 44 mph, etc..)

Add that to the desire for this beast to down shift for every incline, and its a bit of getting used to. I've learned to disengage cruise on certain hills on my commute, by letting the car slow 3-4 mph, I can get over them without the down shift to 3rd.. the cruise likes to keep it 'at or above' at all cost! But note that if you resume cruise at the top of the hill - before getting back to the set speed - it will down shift to get there ! Just let the speed come back up to the set point (usually 60 for me) before resuming.

Hope this helps get ya get some more mpgs...

PS: cars slowing down on an uphill used to drive me bonkers with the 5-speed. I would just keep it in 5th and go right over w/ cruise at the set speed. Everyone else would break my pace! I think now I understand - its the automatics!! :shades:
  • Options
    wins1wins1 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same alarm problem with my 2008 Highlander. It went off 5 times one night and I ended up disconnecting the battery. I left it at the dealer for a full day and they could not find anything wrong with it. I told them there is a design defect and I will bring it in each time it happens until they figure it out. I also called Toyota Corporate in CA and complained and they set up a case number. Bottom line is the dealer doesn't have a clue. I have a 2000 Lexus RX300, which is basically a Toyota vehicle and have never had an issue with the alarm. I will not disable my alarm since it means giving into a defective vehicle.
  • Options
    dowlingdcdowlingdc Member Posts: 7
    I think I've figured it out. I think it's a couple of things - my wireless router is just the other side of the wall from the passenger side of the car if I park nose in - found that by backing into my driveway the alarm doesn't go off. Also found that leaving my portable GPS in the glove compartment sets it off as well. The alarm must be under the dash on the passenger side and the electronics interfere. Still testing, but it looks like this alarm is very sensitive to electronics. Will post another message if I find anything different.
  • Options
    I agree - it's a defect and will contact Toyota's "Customer Experience Center" about this as well. It's driving me nuts!!!! Thanks for the idea - the dealer wasn't able to help me either.
  • Options
    bing8bing8 Member Posts: 11
    Toyseeker,

Sorry to change the subject but I'm impressed with your mileage figures. Your message reported 24.5-26 highway mpg on the 08 highlander. Is this a hybrid? Is it awd? . If i understand correctly, your 08 highlander V6 mileage is as efficient as the RAV4 V6 mpg.

I am considering the Rav4 V6 or gas Highlander because i need the awd. Thought about the RAV4 V6 but they are hard to find right now. The dealers seem to have plenty of Highlanders and are discounting them currently. Sales of the RAV4 appear to be much better because in my opinion there is a false impression that the Highlander is a big SUV vs the RAV 4 and therefore the "big" Highlander gets much less fuel mileage than the RAV 4 V6. Readiing your mileage listings, i doubt the mileage is that much different than the Rav4 v6. My guess is that the Highlander is much nicer and larger vehicle and with discounting is about the same price as the Rav4 V6.
    Thanks
    Bing
  • Options
    hlanderhlander Member Posts: 31
    I got 2008 Highlander Hybrid 2 weeks ago. First, it says in Multi-information display, I got 25.4. After refueled 2 times, ODO meter goes up to 840 miles, I got 26.2 for now. I live in Western PA and there are a lot of up and down roads. I think if we use in CA or somewhere is plane, it would be better. IMPO.

Thanks for information Toyseeker. I think I should order it.
  • Options
    charles4318charles4318 Member Posts: 5
    I have intended to provide my experience on the MPG Highlander. It is odd because in town mileage on hybrids is suppose to be better than highway. Had and 06 Hybrid w/o AWD and in town mileage over two years was 26 to 27 and on the Highway at 72 MPH on cruise was 28 solid. Traded it for a 2008 Limited Hybrid AWD. My in town mileage averaged over the last 3 months 25 to 26. Recently in February I traveled 2,500 miles round trip, snow, ice, windy conditions in mountains and heavily loaded to boot. My average was 26 to 28 solid.

By the way I have an 2007 Camry Hybrid and it also gets better mileage on the highway than in town. Average in town is 26 t0 27 and highway at 72 MPH on cruise on long trips I average 39 to 40.1 solid. It blows me way.

Also had an 2005 Prius and it did better of course.

My wife gets a couple of MPG less than I do on any of the above cars.I drive faster than she does but she accelerates faster than I do.

All in allweareextremely pleased.
  • Options
    ronnronn Member Posts: 398
    I just wanted to put my information as well that I had a 08 RAV4 for 3 months and traded back in for the 08 Highlander. The reason being the Highlander was more like my 05 Avalon with all the extras, ride, etc.
    My Highlander is getting just as good mph as the RAV4 did, as well as the Avalon. I am very pleased, and love the Highlander so much more. If you can afford the extra money, I would consider the Highlander over the RAV4. Better ride, I like the looks better, and it is still very economical, and much better interior.
    I have freinds who will say " bet you wish you didn't have that gas hog" and when I share the mpg, it changes their mind. I am getting 17 - 20 for city driving, which I didn't get any more with the RAV4. I haven't taken a trip yet, and very anxious to see what it does then. I feel I should get 24 or better on the highway, with the in town mpg that I'm getting. Mine is the 08 Limited loaded.
    Best of luck in your decision.
  • Options
    No, its not a hybrid, its an 08 HL Ltd. 4WD with everything except Nav + DVD.

Please take this range with a couple grains of salt before making a decision:

1. This is pure highway. Ie. Fill up within a half mile from the highway, drive on the highway for 5-6 hrs without stopping once (60-70 MPH), pull off the highway and fill up a half mile from the highway. The 24 side of the range had some very limited local driving in it. But mostly, I parked it and rode with others w/in the towns I visited.
    2. This is pure gasoline. There is no ethanol added. Ethanol lowers your MPG - and supposedly your emissions. Although, while you have less emissions per gallon, I'm not so sure you have less emissions per mile. Strong opinions on both sides I suppose.
    3. The ride home (with the back full) has a 2.5k foot elevation decent (over 315 total miles), not sure how much this helps the MPG. Also this direction is heading east, with the jet stream. The weather was great for the whole trip.

On E10 (10% ethanol) with 70/30ish mixed driving (6 mi local road @ 45mph + 10 mi highway @ 60 MPH), I average 20 - 20.5 pretty reliability. But mind you, I don't 'take off' from a start.. doing so drops me by 0.5 MPG real quick!

I am at 19.7 right now on about 2/3 of a tank..had to do more local driving this week due to my oil change (its way out of the way).

I never drove the 08 Rav4, so I can't offer any advice there.

Hope this helps....there's no free ride...but I am pretty happy with the performance on the highway!
  • Options
    randycleerandyclee Member Posts: 9
    My wife and I just bought a new Limited Hybrid Highlander. The price we paid was $42,300 plus tax and fees. We got it from Toyota of Orange. The MSRP was around $45,800. We are very happy with what we got. We have been looking for this SUV for the last three weeks. These are the specs: 0202, Black exterior, LB10, grey interior, FE, 50 state emission, NV, navigation, QC, front dual zone climate control, QR, rear automatic climate control, SR, moon roof, CT, 3rd roll seat. It was very frustrating trying to find this Limited Hybrid Highlander. Finally, we just happened to find a dealer that has the Highlander we wanted. It was all timing. The dealer just happened to received the SUV that day. My wife and I rushed to the dealer and got the car. When we arrived at the dealer, the car wasn't even ready for us to inspect. I must have contacted at least 50 Toyota dealers in the southern California area from Ventura to San Diego. All the dealers either don't have exactly what I wanted, or they wanted full MSRP. During the paper work process, the dealer told us that Toyota only makes 4 of the Limited Hybrid we purchased (the exact specifications) in a month. No wonder it was almost impossible to find this car. But my wife and I love it. It's better than the Lexus RX 400h in every way.
  • Options
    damuffinmandamuffinman Member Posts: 2
    I purchased the body side moldings for my Black Highlander from eBay for $93 including S+H (toyotaaccessories4you). Color matches perfectly, quality is good, although ends (where front and rear door meet) have a bit of an unfinished feel to it. However, I didn't receive any instructions for application and requests to the seller have still been unanswered. Can anyone who's done the application themselves post the instructions they have or send a link with any info?
  • Options
    vince7922vince7922 Member Posts: 4
    My wife and I took delivery of 2008 Limited Highlander on 3/16. We got if for $34,228 with mudguards and carpet mats. We love it and the handling is great. The problem is, we cannot pair our Samsung cell phones. We have tried different Samsung models and nothing seemed to work. Motorola Razr works fine.

Anybody out there having this same problem and managed to get it fixed? Would appreciate some help.
  • Options
    I just found the instructions that came with mine...might be tough without the picture, but here goes:

For maximum bond, vehicle and moldings should be above 25 degree C (80 degree F).

1. Lay out Driver Side and Passenger Side molding strips. Place the longest strip towards the front and shortest strip towards the rear.

2. Make (3) Three measurements above the bottom edge of the vehicle's doors as shown in the diagram below, and mark positions. 1-Front @ 21.3 cm (8.375"), 1-Mid @ 22.2 cm (8.75"), 1-Rear @ 22.8 cm (8.95")

3. Apply 19mm (3/4") masking tape guide directly over the (3) measurements, from the front fender to the rear wheel well as shown in the diagram below. Ensure tape guide is correctly placed as shown in the diagram below. ((note: diagram shows top edge of the masking tape aligning with the measurements in #2, this marks the bottom edge of the molding.))

4. Measure 7mm (1/4") on each side of door gap and place mark on masking tape. This is your starting point for applying the molding strips and it will ensure the correct molding position to allow for proper door clearance when rear doors are opened. ((see my above post about this - ymmv))

5. Clean above masking tape guide with a wax and grease remover and then wipe the area again with an Isopropyl alcohol/water mixture (50/50).

6. Remove 16 cm (6") of red adhesive liner from square end of front molding strip. Begin at th 7mm (1/4") marking and gently apply molding to vehicle above masking tape guide. Continue removing red liner while applying molding with a rolling motion. Do not touch adhesive with fingers. Repeat with rear molding strip.

7. After ensuring both molding strips have been correctly placed, firmly run down moldings with a cloth or molding roller to obtain maximum adhesive bond. Press hard with a blunt object all ends.

8. Repeat steps 1-7 for other side.

Good Luck.

:shades: maybe I should ebay a photocopy of the instructions :shades:
  • Options
    denverbriandenverbrian Member Posts: 61
    My Samsung M610 paired correctly with the Bluetooth, so I know Samsung as a brand has the capability. Different phones work differently. Be sure you're looking in the manual, and also at Toyota's website they have a place specifically for different models of phones and Bluetooth.
  • Options
    thardgravethardgrave Member Posts: 57
    There should be a list either with your manuals, or on-line with Toyota that lists specific phones that are compatible with the Highlander Blue Tooth.....when I bought my car, the salesman cautioned me to be sure and check before buying a new phone......and I did get the Razr, and it works just great. Your dealer should be able to answer this also.........good luck!! Also, read previous posts on increasing the volume of your calls to those on the receiving end.....I did that and have heard my calls are received much better now.
  • Options
    Does anyone know where the jack / jackstand points are on the 08 (non-hybrid)? It's time to rotate tires, so need to:

Jack up the back corner, put it on a stand.
    Jack up the front corner (same side), place a stand for safety
    Swap F/R tires
    Lower front quarter
    Lower rear quarter

Thanks for the help!
  • Options
    If anyone else out there is having a problems with the panic alarm going off for no reason on your 2008 Highlander please report it to your dealer and/or through Toyota's Customer Experience Center. 800-331-4331. I've taken it to the dealership twice for what seems to be electronic interference setting it off and they said no one else seems to have this problem. I think there's got to be someone else out there who's wireless router or wireless phone system, or portable GPS is setting off their panic alarm. Please report it so Toyota will solve the issue.
  • Options
    slh54slh54 Member Posts: 6
    I had a problem getting my Samsung to pair. There is a step in the pairing directions that Toyota left out - I found the information searching on the web but can't find it now. I will try to find and get back to you - may have the information in my car still.
  • Options
    Thanks. I will check it out. Mine is a slider phone and I only got it in December.
  • Options
    Thanks. Hope you can find it.
  • Options
    slh54slh54 Member Posts: 6
    I finally found it and it was right under my nose. If you go to toyota.letstalk.com, you can then get the directions for pairing by choosing your exact phone, service provider and vehicle. When I did this, I got different directions than were in the owners' manual and this set of directions worked immediately. I was not the one who was smart enough to figure out that Toyota had left out a step in the owners' manual directions - someone else had already figured it out! Anyway, hope that this helps you.
  • Options
    Glad you got it to work....I use mine alot, and find it works very well. As an aside, you can also use your phone to dial a number if you have the number in your phones memory....it will link up with the Blue Tooth even if you don't initiate the call on your car controls. If you are moving, you can't access the Blue Tooth phone directory except by voice commands....but in a pinch, you can use your phone's directory.
  • Options
    gymnbatgymnbat Member Posts: 9
    I went to the toyota.letstalk.com website and according to the website my phone , a samsung SCH u410 will not pair or have any connectivity to the Highlander Bluetooth. Another case of Toyota information being out of date and incorrect. I own a 2008 limited ..picked it up in October and was using an LG phone and was not happy with how it connected to the car bluetooth. I went to Verizon's website and found that the Samsung phone seemed ot have the best connectivity so I got the Samsung phone I now have. On verizon's website the raazor had limited cnnectivity and the samsung had very good connectivity. The samsung works fine. I do not always see the incoming phone number on the nav screen. I also can not use the phone's phonebook or voice dial features. I wish the ring tones would be passed through to he bluetooth however the system seems to work fine. I am begining to wonder who is responsible for the manuals for the vehicle (which in my opinion are terrible) and information on the websites which seems to be incorrect. This forum has been more helpful than the manuals for learning the features of my vehicle. I am still discovering things about the nav system and the voice controls that are not listed anywhere in the documentation. Perhaps someone here might compile all the features in one post as a reference. Thanks to all that have made this forum help make a vehicle that Iam very happy with even better. Note on Gas mileage I'm in NY...around town around 17-18 mpg... on the highyway last trip 250 miles at mostly 75-80 mph gave me aprox 20 mpg. I have 5000 miles on the vehicle and it seems to be getting a little bit better mileage now . I am very happy with the vehicle. I think my around town mileage will improve as I get mroe used to the mpre powerful engine as I notice I tend to start off to fast.
  • Options
    I have both the Bluetooth and nav and share your frustration with the manuals.....particularly with the nav. I found out the only real way to learn it was pretty much trial and error and several calls to my dealer and a very helpful salesman. He also sent me a dvd put out by Toyota for the nav system and it was helpful. I still find quirky things, that probably have more to do with the database than the system.....such as trying to find an address in downtown San Diego that was listed everywhere as "4th"street...spelled that way, even on streets signs, but the nav would only accept "fourth street". Also another address that it would not recognize at all......said it didn't exist........my salesman said all of the systems have a few glitches. Overall, I am quite happy with both the nav and bluetooth after using since Christmas. I am getting a consistent 18.5 mpg with a mix of some freeway with traffic and some city driving. On freeway trips of 200 miles I usually get around 23-24 mpg driving 75-80 mph on mostly flat terrain. I have had zero problems with the car so far and love the size and utility compared to the Sequoia I recently sold. Good luck and yes, this forum is very useful!!
  • Options
    THANK YOU for your input. After several tries, I finally got my phone to pair correctly. You are a life saver :) Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    bilcalbilcal Member Posts: 2
    I have been having the same problem with the panic alarm, the only way I can keep it off is not to lock the vevicle. I contacted the dealer, no amswer yet. I will call the Toyota line next week., Glad its not just me.
  • Options
    damuffinmandamuffinman Member Posts: 2
    Thanks a lot for the instructions! That's gonna be really helpful as I was gonna try to put them on today without 'em. I'll keep in mind your previous note about the door gap.
    Reply from the eBay seller when asking for instructions, "I really don't have instructions for them." That's probably why they were such a great price. But I definitely would have bid for your instructions!
  • Options
    nimrod99nimrod99 Member Posts: 343
    Does anyone know where I can find a list of all the electronic settings the dealer can adjust on the Highlander, and what the factory default values are.
    I recall seeing something (pretty extensive list) that allows things like how the doors unlock, what ambient light level the headlights come on etc

thanks
  • Options
    wrajinderwrajinder Member Posts: 58
    I bought this stainless steel exhuast tip from Toyota with my new haighlander last year. Somebody stole this tip in last week. Toyota must have this S.Steel tip as permanent not as add on feature. Whenever I walk towards my highlander, my eyes goes right on exhaust tip. I think i have to buy new one. Any suggessions out there to make this as secured tip without welding it.
  • Options
    gshastagshasta Member Posts: 6
    For those who have the Toyota side molding: does it appear that the two pieces on each side started out as one piece and were just sawed at the dealer? My dealer-installed molding looks just like that. The face of the molding close to the B-pillar (between front and back doors) has a rough edge and unpainted finish.

Is that what all of yours look like?
  • Options
    Mine were not dealer installed, but yes the pillar-side ends are 'rougher' than the rest. My HL is Gray Metallic (1G3) and I can't see a color difference.

PS: Re: a previous post, I made a pdf of the install instructions, but have no where to post them. Someone a while back posted oil change instructions, etc. would be happy to email this over to whomever that was to post alongside...
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You can convert pdf files to jpg image files and upload them to your CarSpace Album.

TreasureUP (link) is one free converter - lots of other ones out there.
  • Options
    Thanks, Steve!

http://www.carspace.com/toyseeker/Albums/BSM

The size is larger than the carspace frames.. so you must download the file.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    For those having trouble viewing the instructions, right click on the large image and click Save Image As (or Save Picture As) and then open the saved image on your computer.

Thanks Toyseeker!
  • Options
    vtgk7vtgk7 Member Posts: 17
    Wow...thats the first time I hear of that. The tip is an add-on from Toyota. I bought mine from toyotapartzstore.com which is Conicelli Toyota of Springfield. They were extremely helpful and shipping is free over $30.00. I would try putting Locktite thread sealant on the threads. Get the RED bottle not the blue as the red sealant is permanent. Good luck!!!!
  • Options
    What exactly is VIP RS3200 and do I need it if I am getting a 2008 LTD highlander?
  • Options
    I just answered my own question.
    http://www.toyotaownersonline.com/pub-share/pdf/security_system.pdf

seems like the LTD only needs the GBS (glass breakage sensor)
  • Options
    irgirg Member Posts: 197
    This may be mentioned in the previous 117 pages of posts, but I didn't see it cruising the last few. I looked at a new Highlander today, perhaps to replace my 2005 Sienna whose lease is up next month. The dealer got it out, about ready to take a drive, and then I looked at 2 things that totally turned me off. One, the middle seat is really for 2 people, not three. The back seat is a bench only and does not split. Why Toyota? That is so stupid, because with 3 kids as I have, one is in the back seat. But for storage purposes, splitting that seat is a MUST. The second turnoff is the glovebox size storage behind the third row. I looked at it, and realized, a good size suitcase can't fit in there, or barely. And what about the other 3-5 suitcase we will have on a trip? FOr a fairly good size vehicle, the storage space is really poor. So I didn't even bother with a test drive, I'm sure it drives nice. The fuel economy wasn't too bad either, but with the issues mentioned, I just can't why anyone with larger families would consider this vehicle. It would be perfect for a family of 4 or less though.

Looks like I'll get another Sienna until something else comes around, it is still the best vehicle for families with 3+ kids, who don't need to tow something heavy. The Nissan Quest also doesn't split its back seat, and I won't consider that model either.
  • Options
    I think you should stay with the Sienna. We have a new Highlander and our daughter has a Sienna and three children, so I have been in both a lot. With 3 seats up, the Sienna has a lot more space for luggage, especially with that deep well in the back. I doubt if many other mid size SUV's have much more storage than the Highlander, unless you compare some of those that are several inches longer. My son also has the new Highlander and 3 kids, and all sit easily in the second row....the filler really works better than you would think, and the second row has tons of leg room, which lots of people like. The full .length 3rd seat has been roundly criticized, and I would look for Toyota to maybe change that next year. I think many young families would be better off with any of the good mini-vans, but a surprising number won't be caught dead in them....something about that image I guess!!
  • Options
    denverbriandenverbrian Member Posts: 61
    Sounds like the Highlander is a bit small for your needs. This is why Toyota makes both the 4Runner and the Sequoia - so you have choices.
  • Options
    qs933qs933 Member Posts: 302
    The fuel economy wasn't too bad either, but with the issues mentioned, I just can't why anyone with larger families would consider this vehicle.

I think what you found is exactly the reason why Toyota will probably continue to sell a minivan, even as some manufacturers move towards large crossovers.

I disagree with your assessment of the second row. The center position is still very usable, even though it doesn't seem like it would be.

I would use the third row in the Highlander strictly for rare occasions when I need to carry more than 5 people. If I had to carry 6, or if I regularly transported someone in the third row, I'd definitely look at a minivan.

I guess if the third row was split, you could make the person sitting in the third row responsible for holding down your cargo so it doesn't roll around (that person's lap would probably be below the surface of the cargo floor).
  • Options
    gymnbatgymnbat Member Posts: 9
    No wonder car manufacturers can produce so many different models. Those of us (well at least me) that bought a Highlander felt that it meets their (my) needs. I have no need for a third row seat. I am another that will use it only if I need to transport more than 5 people and I do not think I have had more than 5 people in a vehicle in many years. I do wish that there was more flexibility within models so that you could get EXACTLY what you want and not have to settle for what the manufacturer wishes to sell to "most" customers. As I said in an earlier post I remember being able to order a vehicle and it was built to my spec. No more... and that is too bad. I bought a LTD with every option except the glass sensor and the remote start. If I had my choice I may have opted for no moon roof, no leather and probably no third row but these things were not possible. I also remember years ago fighting with a dealer as I was being charged for a rear window defroster which was an "option" but required in New York!
    Oh well ...lets just say that with almost 5500 miles on my Blue AWD LTD.. I am still very happy with my purchase. I learn something new about the vehicle almost every day. Yesterday I learned that the headlights do not stay on after you turn the engine off during the day and if you lock the doors with the remote (at night) and hit the lockbutton on the remote a second time it turns the headlights off right away. I think it is time to look over the manual again. I have been driving the vehicle long enough that maybe some things will make more sense. I still think the manuals are poor! I also discovered that at least some of the commands for the nav will not work if you have the audio screen up on the screen. I did add an after market IPOD adapter so I have started to keep the nav screen on the audio page more so I am sure I will be finding out more little quirks to the system. I have dealer installed side mouldings and so far they seem to be staying put fine and I did not notice any rough edge. The only thing I am waiting on is I want to put vent visor rain guards on the windows. I want to put the "in channel" type, the ones that install in the window channel and not outside on the door frame with tape. I paid for these when I bought the vehicle but as of yet they are still not available. This has been the only thing I can find at fault with the dealer. The parts department has called me twice to tell me the product is in and yet both times it was the "tape outside mount" product that had arrived. I have now been told that they should be in sometime in May. Again thanks to all for the information this site has made available. I hope there are more wonderful tidbits of information here in the future.
  • Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    An article over on the GM boards about GM.. catch this.. cutting 90-95% of it's model variations. On some models there are 15000 variations. On some Hondas there are 6.

GM and Ford and Chrysler are trying to rationalize their production because they finally realize that Toyota and Honda are doing it right. It's impossible to make 15000 variations profitably on one model. And make them well.
  • Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
    "On some Hondas there are 6."

I hope GM looks to Toyota and not Honda - it's impossible to get a nice Honda without a sunroof, something I don't want. Not a problem with Toyota.
  • Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    I found the thread. It was based on a Yahoo article about the direction of the detroiters... this is almost unimaginable.

"They're unhappy and we're losing money," he said of Ford, which posted losses of $2.7 billion in 2007 and $12.6 billion in 2006.
    Ford's chief of marketing, Jim Farley, who was hired away from Toyota Motor Co last year, said he was stunned to find that Ford was offering 100,000 combinations of options on its entry-level Focus sedan. Some 80 percent of Ford's sales came from just 4,000 of those combinations, he said.
    In response, Ford has cut complexity by reducing the number of "buildable combinations" of the 2008 Focus by 99 percent. On the 2008 Expedition, it has cut combinations by 95 percent.

link
  • Options
    mtnman1mtnman1 Member Posts: 431
    My Wife and I have been shopping for a new vehicle for a couple of months. We've checked out and test driven the Ford Edge, Hyundai Santa Fe & Veracruz, Saturn Outlook and today for the first time the new Highlander Limited FWD. I found the same issues myself with the Hylander. Very nice vehicle, but one other thing I thought was odd that it did not have memory settings for the driver seat. I know this is probably sacrilage to a Toyota devotee and in this thread, but you really should check out the Outlook. To me it was quieter as far as engine noise, Rode every bit as good and most of all had tons of space. In addition, the 3rd row seats are split. Of course, it's 201" long. You can get more vehicle for the money with some items you would expect on a upscale trim such as memory seats, power folding mirrors, and remote start for about the same price. I know that I'm probably going to get pummeled now by all the naysayers, but believe me you need to at least give it a look. The only downside is in some markets the selection might not be that good. In the city I live in there are 3 dealerships that carry a wide selection of Outlooks. I'm not 100% sure if we will end up buying now, but I think if we do I'm about 90% certain it will be an Outlook.
    2012 Highlander Limited AWD V6 and 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
  • Options
    bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    mtnman1

There are 2 more I would test drive also : Honda Pilot & Buick Enclave, before decision to buy.
  • Options
    gymnbat: I do wish that there was more flexibility within models so that you could get EXACTLY what you want and not have to settle for what the manufacturer wishes to sell to "most" customers.

You've just stated the marketer's dilemma. In a perfect world, manufacturers would be able to product exactly what each individual consumer wanted and in exactly the right quantities.The trade-off is that the more customization that's required, the more expensive it is to produce.

As much complaining as there is about regional grouping of individual options with Toyota, I far prefer it to Honda's approach of not having any factory options and, instead, grouping features into trim levels.

For example, to get leather in a Honda Pilot, you have to get the EX-L trim, which also includes a moonroof (that I don't want). Similarly, with the Odyssey, in order to get the premium audio system (and Bluetooth, apparently), you have to get the Touring, which means you also have to get Navigation and the rear entertainment system.
  • Options
    Of the three (soon to be four) GM Lambda CUVs, I prefer the Enclave and Acadia to the Outlook. I'm very impressed with the Enclave -- I think GM did a good job. The Lambda triplets are just too big for my needs, though.

My local dealer had an Outlook XR FWD with Leather, Enhanced Conveience Package, Touring Pacakge, and Audio Package and the sticker price was over $36K. With the current $500 rebate and knowing that Saturn dealers have a one-price policy, the Outlook is about $2K higher than the negotiated price I was offered for a Highlander Limited FWD with JBL/rear AC/power rear door/spoiler.

Granted, the Outlook has those features you mentioned (memory seats, power folding mirrors, remote start, rear seat audio, rear parking assist, Onstar), but it is missing Bluetooth and a reverse camera (without Navigation).

I've read that the Outlook is the least popular of the three Lambdas. I'd recommend that you take a look at the Acadia. You may also want to wait for the Chevy Traverse to begin shipping.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    …said he was stunned to find that Ford was offering 100,000 combinations of options...

And I am stunned that the chief of marketing doesn't understand basic math. He should certainly realize that as few as 17 options will produce in excess of 100,000 combinations. As for the 4,000 figure, that can be achieved with a mere dozen separate options.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper