Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

2004 Toyota Solara

Comments

• Hey sloanesq,

Do you know if it was a one time event or will they have another on a later date?

Thanks.
  • I finally saw my first Solara commercial on TV tonight. It was on during Monday Night Football (sponsored by Toyota). Why does it seem that the Solara isn't being advertised (TV or otherwise)?
  • Qibble: I attended the same type of function at the Cherry Hill Mall in New Jersey on Sunday.
    Go to http://www.solarastyle.com to see a calendar of events and a description of the promotion.
  • Thanks for the info on www.wieck.com You can find pictures of almost any car there! I am seriously thinking of trading for a Solara in calendar year 2004.
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    How come no events come to the Midwest?!
  • Yeah, there are definitely more events planned. Toyota hired a whole crew of people to promote the Solara and they are travelling around the country.

BTW, I just purchased a Saab 9-3 Arc which is a really sweet car but, aside from being about $5-8K more expensive, is not a direct competitor with the Solara. I do wonder (in some of those rare idle moments), how the upcoming 9-3 convertible will compare to the Solara convertible. That seems like more of an equal match.
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Posts: 619
    I'd like to add my vote to those who think the toyota.com site isn't that great, and that toyota dealer sites are even worse. Many dealer sites do not even tell you how the vehicles in their inventory are optioned, for example. One local dealer's site doesn't even give the colors of the cars listed in inventory. In contrast, one of our local Chrysler dealers allows you to view the window sticker of each car in inventory. (Too bad I wouldn't be interested in anything they're selling!!!)

Perhaps someone can explain to me the "build and price" process. You first get a listing of the models "available in your area". Next you get a list of options. Does this mean that if a configuration or option isn't listed it cannot be ordered? Or does it simply mean that no such cars exist on dealer lots in the area? (Or does it mean anything at all?)
  • s852s852 Posts: 1,051
    I saw the ads in magazines of a red Solara and it looked like an uglier version of a Hyundai Tiburon, but then I saw a light brown metallic one in person and it looked more like a Lexus.
    Unfortunately, some of the new Lexus models aren't that great-looking, but at least it is much more desirable to look like a Lexus than a Hyundai.
    Lexus-like styling gives the car "valet appeal."
    Anyone have excellent interior photos of their 2004 Solara online?
    The pics on the Toyota website and other places are pretty small and not very high resolution.
  • Anyone try Zaino on their new baby yet???
    Try Kelly Blue Book and select the 2004 Solara.
  • Thanks Marty684.

Unfortunately the event in Garden City was the closest one to me and it has passed. I'll just have to bug a sales person at a dealership for a test drive.
  • Just ordered the 2004 SEV6 red Solara for my daughter, convenience package, side curtain airbags, spoiler, etc. Got it for $1000 off MSRP which is the best I could do here (could have driven 600 miles RT and saved another $500 but have better things to do). By the way, found a lease on the net for $301 per month 39 months, 45,000 miles. Money factor is .00219. Anyone know a cheaper rate?
  • Cheaper rate: Pay cash
    pay cash! (What a Concept) he, he, he.........
  • I was laughed at and told to finance to avoid paperwork! Pay cash! The finance guys get commission!
    I can get you 0.0 APR anyday. Any car. Just pay with cash! Don't listen to the dealer. Pay the cash and pick up the cars and get out of there to enjoy your new Solara and Prius.
  • You might think paying cash would get a better deal, but the dealer is less likly to come down off MSRP if he knows your paying cash. They tend to like to come down on price, and get you with finance, and warranty, and extra prtection stuff. If you got the $$'s don't tell them until you settle on a price.
    I read the posts stating that to install it, the dash has to be dismantled and it costs about $500 or more with labor. Pretty ridiculous. I think it was like that with the 2003 Accord, but now it is available as a factory installed option on some 2004 Accords.
    If it is that difficult to install, Toyota should have it available or standard if you order the Navigation/JBL system and installed at the factory instead of having the dealers spend hours attempting to install it.
    If you want factory XM radio, your Local Honda dealer is waiting.
  • I find that if one intends to pay cash, a BETTER deal can be had if one sticks to his guns and lets the dealer know that invoice is the absolute top dollar you will pay no matter what. Most dealers will not let you walk if they can make holdback. Also insist on a car with no dealer adds. I paid cash for my 2003 RSX base auto, and after two or three falls , I got the car for l8900 dollars. This is what the dealer called triple net. Just keep grinding on them and they will sell the car because it becomes just another mark on the wall, and the next sucker who pays sticker will make up the difference. They actually said that to me.
  • I was told by my salesman that the XM Radio was "in the package" that I ordered. After checking around, I have also found out that it is dealer installed and costs between $600.00 to $800.00 to have your new car taken apart for the install. I think Toyota messed up badly on this one. The new Accord has EXV6 models with XM Radio built in with free service for 3 months. And is sounds GREAT!! No distortion. Just complete clarity of sound. I have been wanting this option. This will probably be the deal breaker for me. Looks like I may be driving a new Accord instead of the Solara.....Even if they give it to me FREE, I don't want my car dismantled to install the OPTION. Just my 2 cents. How do you guys feel about this?
    buy an Accord. You don't want your brand new car dismantled just for satelitte radio?????? Plus, it should cost less on the Accord anyways. they give you the first three months too......
    of service, that is.
  • Does the V6 require premium fuel?
    Accord EX V6: NO
    Solara V6: Not sure. You'd have to ask a Sienna owner about that. Most Toyota V6's take premium, however, this could be a case of 99-01 Odyssey, where premium is recommended for optimal economy but not required.
    Must mean optimal performance. If you are spending 20 cents more per gallon, you are not economizing even if were true that you got an extra MPG or 2.
  • I check all Sienna, RX330 and ES330, none of them mention Premium fuel. I think modern engine has knock sensor to detect what type of gas you use. Premium or regular. TO me, the midplus is way gas company rip you off. Most the sensor will set to regular if you use mid grade (89 or 90). It's a waste of money. No a day, Premium is used for high pressure fuel injection engine for higher power output. It's common in turbo engine for max out the power in small displacement. As to MPG, unless you live in heavy traffic metro or hilly area, the MPG is too small to tell the difference. But at best, you might got 2 miles more which is not enough to justify teh price difference.
    For the Sienna, I guess that you can just throw in regular. Some Chrysler engines (3.5L in 300M, Pacifica) say they want mid-grade. That's the only engine that I know of that requires mid-grade. Do any gas companies even sell Mid-Grade anymore? No one needs it. You either use Regular on your Camry or Premium on your S-Class.
  • jchan2-

I use middle grade (89 octane) in my Pontiac because it knocks on regular and I am too cheap to buy premium :-)

-Andrew L
This discussion has been closed.