Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Draw on battery

jb52jb52 Member Posts: 1
edited July 2015 in Ford
What is an acceptable maximum draw on the electrical system of a 2004 Taurus SE? I am reading 0.65 amps draw.

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    So 650 milliamps?---that's way too much. I'd say 30-50 milliamps is normal, more to the lower end. You must have some module that isn't powering off?
  • joejoesonjoejoeson Member Posts: 44
    I'm assuming you mean parasitic draw while the car is off? If so that is too much, 0.10-0.30 would be ideal, however if your car has a computer that takes a while to go to sleep after the car shuts off, it will read slightly higher than normal. I would do the current draw test after you let the car rest for a few hours to know for sure what the actual parasitic draw is. The problem will be obvious if this current draw drains the battery dead. If that is the case then check the trunk light or any interior light that is staying on, or maybe a cellphone charger that is plugged in (usually this doesn't drain the battery but it's a good idea to keep those unplugged).