Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Welcome to the Edmunds forums! We are changing the way you sign into our forums. Click here to learn more.

Can't remove key ( is this an FOB?)

relcorelco Posts: 1
edited July 2015 in Chrysler
I don't know what an FOB is, but I suspect my "key" is a FOB to you folks. Frequently when I reach my destination, i can not remove the key. I can restart the engine and sometimes, when I turn it off, I can then remove the key. It may take 5 or 6 attempts before success. Often, I just pull out the little door key and leave the car locked with the key in the ignition. This is only for quick visits.

I am new to this forum and any thoughts will be appreciated.

Comments

• sixpac440sixpac440 Posts: 6
    my daughters sebring had the same problem i had to replace ignition switch. wasnt hardto replace advance has two types I bought the one you set tumblers to match your original key cost was about $30
  • steverstever Posts: 52,683
    @relco, check for recalls. Just had one done on my '09 Grand Caravan and they replaced the "fobkits" (aka, keys). Not sure what years are covered or if the T&C is involved, but worth looking. Here's a link to the NHTSA look-up page.
  • Inside the ignition key are cylinders and they mite be bad cuz of age