Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord Engine Swap - to do or not to do?

drgreindrgrein Member Posts: 1
edited July 2015 in Honda
I have a 2007 Honda accord that had a used engine with 26,000 miles put in last October. In June of this year the timing chain slipped causing damage to the cylinder head. To have the head reworked it will cost $475 and I found a used engine with 176,000 miles for $355.

My question is:
1. Should I take the head off the high mileage engine and put it on the low mileage block with a new timing chain and valve lash adjustment?
2. Just put the new timing chain I bought on the high mileage engine and adjust the valve lash and drop it in?
3. Just drop the high mileage engine in and hope for the best?

Any suggestions are welcome. Work is starting Friday July 17th.

Comments

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I've never heard of this happening and I have to suspect the 26,000 miles might not be accurate.

I would simply repair the damage on the engine that is already installed.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    None of the above. As isell says, fix the cylinder head you already have. This is your best chance for a good outcome. You can't put a new chain on an old sprocket like that (ask any motorcyclist), and a miled-up used engine or used cylinder head is very risky.