Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2000 GMC sierra steering pulls right

pframspframs Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in GMC
My 2000 GMC sierra 4wd pulls to the right. Dealer
says there is nothing they can do! I drove another
2000 and it does the same thing.

Comments

• quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    Cross your tires to the other side.
  • dave40dave40 Member Posts: 582
    cross your fingers
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    and your dealer will not fix it you have one simple solution - find another dealer that will help you solve the problem
  • lwittorflwittorf Member Posts: 96
    I agree because I just bought a 2000 chev 1500 and it had 34 miles on it when I picked it up I drove it the first weekend and put about 450 miles on it and it pulled to the right and was wearing the tire [on right] off on the outside of tire I took it back to dealer and they said they don't align them before 500 miles because of how they are tied down on truck for shipping but they took it in and aligned it had to have a shim but it is ok now so they can fix if they want to.
  • mfreeman1mfreeman1 Member Posts: 13
    I also have a 2000 Sierra and have not had any problem with steering. Truck drives great, can't wait to find some place to pull of the road and play with the 4wd. (Something my GTA (Trans Am) couldn't do)

Later,
    Mike Freeman
  • NODaviesNODavies Member Posts: 1
    Just went through this very thing myself - it's actually a fairly well known problem with the camber/toe adjustment (about a $120 fix at any good service center).

Initially set at the factory - but can get out of wack when driving over bumpy roads. Can range from mild to frustrating as hell.

If you notice it on the test drive make the adjustment part of the agreement to buy.....
  • lwittorflwittorf Member Posts: 96
    If you find it on the test drive it should be brought up but if you don't catch it then the pu has a 36,ooo mile warranty and that should be covered under that if you have any kind of dlr at all or at least I would put up one first kind of fuss if they diden't.
  • billk5billk5 Member Posts: 14
    I was told by the chev dealer that they can only do a warranty alignment up 7500 miles after that you pay !
  • edd4edd4 Member Posts: 22
    Got my 00 Sierra 1500 4X4 three weeks ago. It also pulls to the right. When going straight down the road, the steering wheel looks about 1/8 turn off center. Steering feels heavy too. Is this typical? Otherwise this truck feels smooth, quiet, powerful and luxurious. I never had 4X4 before.
  • leathal02leathal02 Member Posts: 114
    supposed to pull or go to the right some, but not so much to that they wear out tires
  • tuckyboy1tuckyboy1 Member Posts: 36
    leathal02,

why do you say that they are supposed to pull to the right?

tuckyboy
    My truck pulled to the right slightly. I took it to the dealer, and they adjusted one torsion bar, camber and toe. It was straight after that until I rotated the tires 3000 miles later. Firestone put it up on their Hunter alignment machine. It was straight. But after a road test it still pulled to the right. Went back up on the Hunter. It confirmed that nothing had changed. They crossed the tires to the opposite side. Went out for a test drive...now it pulled slightly to the opposite direction. I said, it's fine, I'll take it, since this slight pull countered the natural tendency to the right from the road crown.

What I've learned: All things being equal, steering will have a tendency to pull in the direction of the more positive camber of your front two wheels. The crown of the road accentuates this by causing more wear on your right front tire outside edge. Cross your tires to the opposite side, on the same axle, and your pull will go the other way, or neutralize. If it doesn't, and the alignment is good, the tire dealer will replace your tires under the factory tire warranty.
  • leathal02leathal02 Member Posts: 114
    If you think about it some, what would happen if you fell asleep and your car naturally pulled to the left, and a car was come in the opposite direction? wouldnt you rather have you car pulling to the right, were at least you dont kill someone, im sure it has some wear, but my truck pulls to the right, but it doesnt jerk to the right, it just steadily goes to the right, takes a while is what i mean

i think that thats what it is supposed to be, thats the way i was taught about it, but i may be wrong
    Get rid of the steering pull, then get rid of the sleepy drivers!
  • jimcarrjimcarr Member Posts: 37
    I have a 99 Silverado Z-71 that pulled to the right.The dealer told me to bring it in when I had 3k miles on the odo.

I did this and it was indeed out of alignment. The mechanic corrected it and on the retesting it still pulled to the right. He rechecked it on the machine and the alignment was right on the money. I know as I was looking over his shoulder.

He swapped the front tires and the problem went away. The tires were Firestone. He could offer no reason for this problem.

However, the truck runs ok now. Was the only problem that I have had with it.

Am quite happy with my purchase.
  • aaron_aaaron_a Member Posts: 29
    I had the same problem with my Tires, It pulled to the right as well, I took to the dealership at 2k miles. It did not corect the problem, so I then took it in as 7,565 mile, they checked and rechecked.. it was right on... they rotated the tires.. Problem gone...
  • edd4edd4 Member Posts: 22
    As posted before, my 00 Sierra 1500 4X4 pulled to the right and the steering wheel was off center. Then I noticed front wheels were pitched in at the top.
    Got it back from dealer today. One ball joint was falling out and had to be replaced. Dealer replaced front tires too (570 miles)for good measure. Steers and drives perfectly now.
  • meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
    After 30 or more days of inactivity....

this topic is being "frozen." It will be archived or deleted in the next 10 days or so.

Front Porch Philosopher
    SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host
This discussion has been closed.