Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Nissan Quest 2004+: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Options
    daughesdaughes Member Posts: 12
    bad1550 and raul4,
    When you experienced your door problem, did the door open completely, beep 3 times, and then close again? If so, there has been a TSB issued for your problem. The number is NTB04-026 and applies only to vehicles built before Nov. 24, 2003. It calls for replacement of the latch control unit.
  • Options
    bad1550bad1550 Member Posts: 27
    The Door did open completely but I am not sure if it beeped then it closed as soon as it opened!

Bob
  • Options
    plashenickplashenick Member Posts: 165
    Cirrus / Nickels,

I do not know the TSB number for the radio replacement, but here is the context of my discussion with Nissan;

1) Was told by Greg (Supr in Consumer Affairs) that a TSB was to be released in 4-6 weeks. This was in mid-February.

2) I served Nissan with a notice of intent to file under Lemon Law (NJ). this got their attention

3) Greg from Nissan informed me on 2/10 that a "Counter Measure" radio, which will be the unit to be used in the forth coming TSB is available (limited quantity) from Clarion to correct the issue with the current radio.

4) On 2/18 the radio was replace - I have had no further issues with the unit. I drove 700 miles since then without incident.

I am told that the design flaw with the original radio was that it would receive an over-volt when the car was started. The over-volt caused the amp to shut down. The radio's amp was supposed to step-down the voltage when the car is first started. This was confirmed by my dealer's service dept. and a factory test by putting a probe on the radio.

My advice is to contact the Consumer Affairs folks to be sure that you are getting the "Counter Measure" radio, all other radios have the exact same design flaw.
  • Options
    raul4raul4 Member Posts: 95
    When my sliding door (passenger side only - SL) opened, it closed immediately after opening all the way but it did not beep 3 times.
    Is it suppose to beep 3 times after it opens? I cannot find anything in the manual about the automatic slider beeping 3 times. It does beep 2 times if it is opening and/or closing and the button is pushed for it to go in the opposite direction.
    The automatic opener on the rear door (hatch) does beep 3 times when you press the command for it to either open or close. The 3X beep occurs immediately after the command is given for it to open and/or close but not after it is opened and/or closed.
  • Options
    nicklesnickles Member Posts: 41
    Can I assume this only occurs in models S & SL ?

Does the SE/Bose combo come with the Clarion as well? or is it a totally separate deck. ( I know, Bose SPEAKERS, just not sure on the radio itself .. )
  • Options
    I believe that the S & SL come with the single-CD Clarion radio and the SE can upgrade to the 6-CD Bose. I believe the SE comes with the Bose. Whichever way the problem I have had was with the single CD Clarion brand radio. The Bose only comes with a 6-CD Bose brand radio/speaker version, and does not have the Amp over-volt problem. I have confirmed this with various Nissan folks, as I offered them that I would accept the upgrade to the Bose system to correct my issues. They checked into it, but to re-fit the existing console was over $2,500 - which leads to me getting one of the first "Counter Measure" units. I hope this helps
  • Options
    cirrusscirruss Member Posts: 87
    nickles & plashenick: Thanks for the reply! My dealer called back today and said they checked their TSB database and don't see any TSB for this problem. I have not scheduled the swap out yet, and they will hang on to the radio until I decide to do it. I will contact consumer affairs tomorrow and ask them. I will let everyone know what I find.
  • Options
    Well, I called Nissan Consumer Affairs and talked to a guy name David. He said there is no TSB for the radio issue and he wasn't familiar with this problem. I told him that one of the members on this discussion board spoke to Greg at Consumer Affairs about it, but he just kept saying he has no info on this matter and he will open a case# for my call. Basically, the phone call went no where and it sounds like I have to wait til such a TSB is to be released (whenever that will be). By the way, he thought my SL was the top of the line Quest model !?!?.......Nissan really need to train their guys better.

Plashenick - do you have the case# that Nissan Consumer Affairs assigned you?....maybe I can get them to look it up and see that I am not the first one complaining of this problem. If there are reasons that are personal and you prefer not to post this information, I understand.
  • Options
    Nothing makes me more upset then poor customer service. So let me give you everything I have:

1) The first person I dealt with did not have her head screwed on tight either, which is why I escalated to a supervisor (Greg)

2) I do not have the case number, but have the following from my invoice:
      Part#: 28185J2001RX (Counter Measure Radio)
      Claim Type: PP
      add'l notes on paperwork:
        - RN11RA Replace Audio Unit 4WR2FW.
        - Work was overseen by Mike W from Nissan Motor Corp.

In my profile I provide an e-mail address is you would like to discuss further.

Things like you, I and many others have gone through are ways for manufacturers to hide shoddy workmanship behind inexperienced (intentional) staff. On the NHTSA website there are more then a dozen complaints about the Clarion Radio unit, Nissan knows this better then we do. For every person that registered a complaint there are 10+ that think it is something they did wrong. I threatened the Lemon Law and showed them why it is in their financial interest to resolve this. Because I complained as soon as the problem occurred I would be out $31.50 even if the third occurrence was after 20 months and 50,000 miles.

My advice is "Complain loud, complain often, never curse or swear". If you bring the car into the dealer and they cannot fix or tell you bring it back in one week; that counts as an attempt to fix the problem. It is not the consumer responsibility to ensure that the manufacturer has the part available. Nissan seems to have had no problem saying "we cannot fix it today." Well we get to say, "that's OK I will come back every time something is wrong until it really costs you significantly."

I hope you live in a state with good lemon laws. If you do not know what you state has visit http://www.mycarstats.com/
  • Options
    plashenick - thanks for the info, unfortunately I will be going to Belgium for business for next 2 weeks and will have to pursue this after my return; once I find out more on this matter, I will definitely post it here. Thanks again for the info!!
  • Options
    vuchvuch Member Posts: 17
    Just how many of the current '04 Quest owners recommend buying one? I am looking at a SL w/ leather. I have had 2 Nissans in the past (96 maxima,
    and 92 SER...loved that car). I never had any real problems w/ either.
  • Options
    vince14vince14 Member Posts: 55
    I have a SL with leather, I have the flaky radio problem, I have a clunky tranny, and I DO recommend buying one. I have the 4-speed transmission, and though I'm sure the five-speed is better, I'm satisfied. My problem with the the tranny seems unique; I've only seen the same problem posted on the Sienna's site! What appeals to me most is the driving feel, though it's my wife's car, I find it reminiscent of the Maxima (I loved my 90).
    The van maneuvers effortlessly in traffic, and I've driven it in awful merge conditions in horrible weather. I think the van is comparable to anything else out there, but looks unique (I keep confusing the Siennas with the Odysseys). So if YOU like it, buy it! Vince
  • Options
    I do like it but all these problems have me gunshy. My wife has a deal w/ her company that gets a price straight from Nissan NA. It looks like the price will be around $29,000(after tax) for the sl w/ leather and sl upgrade pkg. We test drove it and really liked it. Nissan is offering 1.9% financing until the end of the month.
  • Options
    cleelandcleeland Member Posts: 18
    First, I wish I'd found this forum awhile back. I took delivery of my SL on 8/8, and have had EVERY one of the problems described herein. The day I picked it up I had the blown-fuse issue, and it's been downhill from there.

For those who have played the lemon-law card, could you please contact me?

The latest in the saga is my transmission. Twice it has behaved as if it's in 3rd or 4th gear from a dead stop. Naturally, it only does this for me, not for the dealer. Two trips so far, with no help.

I've been reporting EVERY one of my issues to the NHTSA web site. I saw the other day that another person described this exact same problems.

As of today, I've got at least 26 days of repair time. Does anybody else think this is excessive for a new car?

plashenick, I tried to track you down via email, but it's listed as private. I have a few questions for you, and would appreciate it if you'd contact me via email.

If only Nissan would just exchange my van for a new one, I'd be pleased--I still like the design of this van!
  • Options
    jimbo_colo2jimbo_colo2 Member Posts: 11
    Steve

I have a 2004 Quest SE. Have had it for 3 months--absolutely NO problems. Since you are able to get such a good deal, why not go for the SE instead of the SL? Different Radio/CD unit (6 CD changer), and, if you live where traction is important (rain and/or snow) the SE has an added system not available on the SL--a real plus in terms of safety.

I'm a grandfather and the SE is MY car. Traded in my 2000 Tundra Limited. I loved that truck, but I love the SE just as much and maybe a little more. Fold down all the seats and I can haul what I hauled in the Tundra.

The SE is FUN to drive. It is FUN to ride in as a passenger. The navigation system is without compare.... The DVD (dual) is great for the grandkids...

Good luck.
  • Options
    We're still thinking about it. There was only 1 SE on the lot and we didn't like the color. (It has to be an in inventory car for the special price). Maybe we'll try a different dealer but the 1st one is about
    2 minutes from home.
  • Options
    stevejudemstevejudem Member Posts: 9
    question to raul4..........read your post #350 about dealer installing longer bolts in sliding door hardware to alleviate rattles........can you be more specific as to what bolts were replaced and is the van completely quiet of squeaks, creaks, and rattle noises.......or was it just a marginal improvement? Would appreciate as much detail as possible.

No dealer in this area seems to know about replacing bolts to cure the problem......even when I suggested it to them.

Thanks for your help........stevejudem
  • Options
         Let me try and explain which bolts that I see that have been replaced:
         There is a guide on the top of the sliding door which is used to attach the door to the body. There are three bolts that attach the guide to the door and to the body. The bolt that is nearest to the body looks like the one they replaced on both sliding door. This bolt had to be replaced because, if I recall, the original bolt was not long enough to screw up and stabilize the guide. If that bolt is not screwed up far enough against the guide to stabilize it, the guide will move up and down thereby causing the door to rattle and make noises. One of the sliders on my van rattled while the other one made a fairly loud clicking noise. Both were constant. The bolts were replaced the first part of Jan/2004 and I have not had the rattle/noise problem in the doors since.
        If this explanation is not clear enough, I would suggest that you have your service technician contact the Nissan technician. My van was in the shop overnight and the service technician worked with the Nissan technician by telephone. I asked my service consultant if Nissan was going to develop a TSB for this fix but he said he wasn't sure.
         Please let me know if this doesn't work for you and I will try to get more information for you from my service consultant.
  • Options
    ab2150ab2150 Member Posts: 4
    To the question of would any current Quest SL owners recommend buying one....I would answer yes based on my experience. My wife and I purchased an SL in December 03. Have 3K miles on it and it has been flawless. A great mini van to drive. Good power and I personally love the ergonomics. I have not experienced any of the issues posted in this forum (so far...knock on wood:)). I live in WI and the heater has worked fine (as good as any other car I have owned). No issues with radio or rattles either.
  • Options
    After 14 days in the shop in two months. This included the door problem and Three radios. The answer is Yes. I knew what I was getting into with a first year car. As long as you can deal with the repairs you get the benefit of a great car. I made sure I got a loaner for all the days - no one argued with me.

Cirrus, I updated my Town Hall profile and the e-mail address is now public. I will check for a posting tomorrow / later tonight from you. They key to lemon law is the state you live in. From your 26-day to date you would qualify in NY & NJ
  • Options
    my question of who would recommend buying one. I bought a silver sl. Leather pkg., SL upgrade, seat pkg, running boards, filter and mats. Ended up paying $29334 tax included. I felt we got a good deal considering sticker was $30800+tax. Thanks again and hopefully I won't have to post any more problems to this forum.....
  • Options
    altimaquestaltimaquest Member Posts: 5
    Hi! We are thrilled with our '04 Nissan Quest except for one minor problem......squeaks (like the sound of new shoe leather!). We didn't notice it test driving our van but soon became aware of the sound after bringing it home...funny how that happens! :) Needless to say, we are very happy with our van - it's an upgrade from our '93 Dodge Grand Caravan with over 170K on it. Hubby has an '02 Altima SE loaded. I got the Quest S with DVD upgrade - the dealership matched our $3500 down ($7K total) and we took advantage of Nissan's 1.9% financing. Any information about why the back end/doors "squeak" would be appreciated. Hubby says it's just due to the "newness" and it'll go away. The sound only happens when I'm going at a low rate of speed and going over bumps or upon entering our driveway. During highway speed, there's no problems. Thank you!! P.S. The kids (3) are in 7th heaven with the DVD system!!! :)
  • Options
    gtahobegtahobe Member Posts: 42
    Congrats on the new wheels.

I've been lurking on these boards for a while so that I'll have a running start when I really need to do the shopping and buying in the next few months. My current ride is also a '93 DGC with "only" 164K. I'm glad you made it to 170K, that means I should have at least 6K, or about 8 months before I need to lay down the cash again. I'm hoping the '93 keeps going until the wife's new car is paid off later next year. We'll see if I can survive a second summer without AC!

Later.
  • Options
    You are probably missing the spaces for the doors and the dovetails are not adjusted correctly. This is not a convertible so it should not squeak as you drive. I had the problem and the dealer was able to correct this. There are TSB's covering these issues.

Good luck!
  • Options
    smlbrdsmlbrd Member Posts: 5
    I've had my '04 SL since September. I had a situation this weekend where the car felt like the brakes were on at all times. It took all kinds of power to come out of a complete stop, and if I was in Drive with no foot on the gas or the brake, the car didn't creep forward like it usually does when it is in Drive. I had to drive quite a distance on a trip, and it seemed okay on the highway, but had the problem every time I had to pull out of a stop. After reaching my destination I had the car off for a while and when I turned it back on again, the problem was gone. Does anyone know what could have caused this? I don't want to take it in for service yet, because I'm sure it won't have the problem when anyone is looking.
  • Options
    golden_sgolden_s Member Posts: 19
    I've not encountered your problem but I know a probable cause of your problem is when you forget to disengage the parking brakes. The reason why the car felt normal when you arrived at your destination is that you've worn out the parking brakes.
  • Options
    I didn't have the parking brake on, but thanks for the advice. Any other ideas?
  • Options
    Plashenick - Thanks for the info about the doors. We'll ask the dealer about this.

GTahobe - Good luck with your DGC! It was a good van for us - ran well but definitely time to retire with 173K on it. Our kids miss the old van for sentimental reasons but when I ask them if we should take the new van back and get our old van they say "No Way!"! That DVD system has them hooked!! LOL :)
  • Options
    I have heard of people having transmission problem. Car stuck in 3rd gear. That would definitely cause the type of problem you felt. At highway speeds the tranny would be in a better gear, possibly would feel like the engine was racing without going faster
  • Options
    gtahobegtahobe Member Posts: 42
    Thanks, my DGC does have a personality and I'm probably blind to some of its quirks. When the time does come, whether or not to buy the DVD system will be a tough one. I'd like to think that we don't need it nor its cost, but I'm sure it'd be useful and enjoyable during the long trips.

Altimaquest, may I ask the age of your kids? Do they all enjoy the DVD evenly, or do you find that certain ages enjoy it more? I have a three year old and an eleven day old. Ok, since you asked, his name is Brendan Wade, and he weighed (pun intended) in at 9lb 5oz! Mom was only 126 to begin with! Everyone is doing fine, thanks.
  • Options
    cleelandcleeland Member Posts: 18
    smlbrd,

I've had the same symptom you had at least twice. It's a transmission problem. Dealer cannot duplicate, of course.

Please file an NHTSA complaint. I filed mine right away. Since then there's been another. Yours would then be the third.
  • Options
    cleeland - How do I file an NHTSA complaint?
  • Options
    kmastejkmastej Member Posts: 6
    I just left the dealer after 3 hours. I have a 04 Quest SL. The Drivers passenger door has been making a knocking type noise. Took the car in with all the info from Edmunds regarding the bolts, and adjustments. My Service Rep, was familiar with the problem. He said, the bolts is not something he has heard of, but aligning the latches is what Nissan has recommended. Once he did that, he took a test drive, and still heard knocks. The Rep, said that he has had instances where a "rope" that is inside the door should be attached to the door and is not. Therefore, it is whacking around in the door itself. He took my door apart, and found that to be the case. I drove home without a problem. My service tech is in Roseville, Michigan his name is John at Jeffrey Nissan. Apparently this problem is only known to manual doors and power doors are not effected.
  • Options
    tranquillotranquillo Member Posts: 1
    We've had our 2004 Quest SE for two months now. The first night the passenger slider had the much reported "won't close and latch" issue, followed by our noticing rattling noises from both side sliding doors. Dealer knew nothing of the cold weather theory, but found loose bolts in the upper attachment and tightened them. After one month, the problem has not returned.

We thought we had a problem with the Bose radio, which seemed to get louder, then less loud for no apparent reason. I found out from a post in this message board (thank you) that this is the SSV feature, which lowers and raises volume depending on the speed of the vehicle. Cool - but annoying. I turned the feature off using the displayed settings that appear when you press the "Audio" knob (R/S).

Our dashboard display gets bright and then dim all by itself, the same way it does when you press the day/night button. Anyone know if this is another of those automatic features we can turn off with settings?

We have a tight exit on the driver's side in our garage, and everytime I squeeze out, I end up pulling the weatherstrip off of the door (where the side slider seals into). There are small plastic studs that push into holes punched in the door, and they come out too easily. The dealer responded to the problem as no trouble found because I pushed the thing back into place, but it still happens all the time. I think I'll just glue the thing in the affected area with some emblem adhesive and be done with it.

Other than these minor things, a few of which are due to my lack of familiarity with the car and its features, we love this van. I've never had a vehicle with a transmission as smooth as this 5-speed automatic. What a pleasure to drive. I've also never had a vehicle that drew so many compliments from people who see it. Great design job, Nissan. Keep the improvements coming!
  • Options
    This is for the US NHTSA site.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
  • Options
    subarudedsubaruded Member Posts: 1
    My system calculated MPG is always around three mpg higher than the actual calculated using the odometer and the actual gallons. In town actual around 18.5 and display says 21.+
    Any others having this problem?
    Otherwise a very good vehicle.
  • Options
    Congratulations! I personally cannot relate to having a 9lb+ baby - kudos to your wife. :) Regarding the kids - we have three - 11-year-old girl, 7-year-old boy and 5-year-old girl. ALL of them like the DVD system. What's really cool is that they can listen to either the radio, a cd or watch a DVD with their earphones on (not individually of course, they all have to agree as to what they are going to listen to or watch). :) But what this creates is what my husband and I've always imagined, we can listen to our radio or cd or just have peace and quiet and talk to each other!!

We are thoroughly enjoying our new van. Before you are ready to buy - go to the dealership with your Edmunds paperwork in hand. We found it really "paid" to go in prepared. We knew the price we were after and they agreed on the price within minutes. Needless to say, we were pleased with our experience.
  • Options
    vince14vince14 Member Posts: 55
    Surprised no one has posted this yet, but the Quest is a five-star performer, like the Sienna, with better individual numbers overall.
    Combined with the good rating on the offset crash, Nissan has made a very safe vehicle!

http://nhtsa.com/NCAP/Vans.cfm

I still recommend the van, even while I wait for my radio and TRANSMISSION to be replaced.
    Vince
  • Options
    Add to that the great revolutionary styling, it truly is a brand new minivan.

Anyone who would like a truly contemporary minivan both inside and out - the 2004 Quest is it.

I have had a SL since 9/03 and I truly enjoy it every day I drive it.
  • Options
    roseredrosered Member Posts: 3
    Help! My Quest S has been in three times to resolve the door rattle issue to no avail. I am told that they used the Tech Service Bulletin issued for the problem, but its not working on my van for some unknown reason. Each adjustment/fix to the passenger side door has provided a few days of "peace" but the rattle just comes back! Totally frustrating. Driver side is fine. Can anyone who has had this problem resolved PLEASE provide some information. Dealer service mgr says they are waiting for another solution from Nissan - but I am wondering if anyone else out there is having the same problem? Thanks!
  • Options
    Check your states lemon laws and go back to the dealer / consumer affairs armed with an "or else".

try www.mycarstats.com to locate your state's laws
  • Options
    stevejudemstevejudem Member Posts: 9
    My dealer also claims that Nissan is supposedly coming up with a new fix for the assorted door noises. When, what, who knows.....can't say I put a lot of stock in that! In addition to rattles, mine also has a assortment of squeaking and creaking noises coming from both power sliders and rear power hatch. After 4 attempts to fix......no success. I would guess that the solution lies in some re-designed hardware from Nissan. Any discussions with the Consumer Affairs people at Nissan are useless....they only seem to provide vague and useless information.....nothing specific to the problem. Hope they can get their act together. The van is nice in many other ways.........but living with these rattles is not acceptable. Many people who ask if I like the van usually get an earful......not likely they will run out to buy one.
  • Options
    gg2k2segg2k2se Member Posts: 109
    I am also waiting for a solution to the side door rattles. I've had it in 3 times for the door. First and second were the door not closing during cold. After the second visit the doors were very tight and silent, but only for a few days, then they seemed to loosen up again and start rattling and squeeking (like a sneaker on a gym floor). Third visit was only to fix the rattles, but didn't work. My dealer is waiting for more info from Nissan. I've logged a formal complaint through the 800-nissan1 number.

Otherwise, we still think the van is very good and will be excellent when Nissan figures out this problem.
  • Options
    To all of you that have rattles/noises in the sliding doors you might want to take a look at my post #481.
  • Options
    bad1550bad1550 Member Posts: 27
    I brought my 2004 Quest SL to service last week to fix the TSB regarding the Auto reverse sliding door issue. The part did not come in yet so I will have to make another appointment.

Has anyone experience noise/vibrations (sounds like a bird chirping) coming from the front dash area?

The service guys noticed it but cannot find the problem. Its very annoying!

Bob
  • Options
    gg2k2segg2k2se Member Posts: 109
    thanks, yes I faxed your post 481 over to my service department, but they said they were waiting for Nissan central to call them back.

I'll mention your letter to them again once they are ready to work on it.
  • Options
    boa35boa35 Member Posts: 21
    This "problems" site continues to mystify me. We bought our SL last August and currently have 5500 miles on it. Except for some quirky fuse problems the first couple of weeks, have had absolutely none of the problems (not even a hint of them) that are continuously reported here---rattles, transmission and door closure problems, heat with the A/C; cold air with the heater, radio issues, etc., etc., etc.
    Just got back from a 3-day excursion into MD and PA (freeways as well as back roads) and the van, as always, performed flawlessly. So is my SL's outstanding performance and reliability the exception or the rule? I'm increasingly coming to believe that it's the latter. Forthcoming hard data on frequency of repair should be interesting.
  • Options
    pulisubspulisubs Member Posts: 39
    I think the reason is that people like you (and me), don't post non-problems enough. We've had our SE since October, have 5000 miles on it, and haven't faced any of the chronic problems that are reported here.

Sure, we have heard a rattle or two on bad roads but that's it - nothing earth shattering. Of course, we live in FL so I wouldn't know anything about the sliding door problems in cold weather.

But I think most people don't post here until and unless then have a problem.
  • Options
    skramer1skramer1 Member Posts: 10
    I Agree.I haven't had any problems whatsoever with my SL. I live in Calgary,Canada,with cold and warm weather(yesterday it was 25c(73f)degrees)It rides and handles like a luxury car.
  • Options
    bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    There'll be a RECALL if the percentage of same problem is high enough. Car components and parts won't be 100% perfect. That is why I test drive the one I buy instead of the demo. You are the lucky one because you car was assembled with perfect parts while some or a few were not as lucky as you.

I drive a fleet of 20 Windstars and I can tell each of them has its own problem(s) and different characteristics.
This discussion has been closed.