Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Subaru Forester Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    leimleim Member Posts: 5
    Hi all, I am very glad to find this good forum. I don't know if it makes sense: I want to trade in my 03 VW Golf TDI (which gives me 42/49 mpg) :cry: and get a small SUV. The Forester is the one with the best gas mileage. I am looking at a most basic 06 Forester, 5 speed, no options. Local dealer quoted me $19,421 after the $1000 rebate. Does this sound a good deal? I'm in CO Springs.

Also, who knows about the value of a 03 Golf TDI GLS 4dr, 48.5k miles. Is $13,500 trade-in price a fair price?

Thanks very much.
  • Options
    jeep1988jeep1988 Member Posts: 40
    Bought from LaRiche Toyota-Subaru in Findlay, Ohio

2006 Forester X-Premium; Champaign Opal Gold, Loaded. We absolutly love this vehicle, great car. Man, is it peppy.

MSRP: 27,560
    Invoice: 24,100
    Internet Offer: 25,050
    Customer Cash: 1,000 rebate
    Amount Paid: 22,500 - That included tax and title (Out the door)

We will buy our next car from this place. The best dealership I have ever dealt with.

4.99% financing
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Sell your TDI in California and you might make a profit. ;)

But really, demand for used TDIs is sky-high in Cali because new ones were outruled. Do you have relatives there that can help you sell it? Or maybe E-bay?

-juice
  • Options
    kavoomkavoom Member Posts: 181
    For Colorado, your deal sounds pretty good. I have seem them here in Topeka for 19,000 but they don't sell as many here...

basic 06 Forester, 5 speed, no options. Local dealer quoted me $19,421 after the $1000 rebate
  • Options
    wazuwazu Member Posts: 3
    That is an excellent price, but what region is this? I am from the new york tri-state area and I was looking for the same specs for my forester.
  • Options
    godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    Something's not right with these numbers! How do you get from $25,050 offer less $1000 rebate = $24,050 TO amount paid of $22,500, including TTL??? Seems to me the number should be 24,050 + TTL = well over $25K. What am I missing here?
  • Options
    godeacs,

The price I paid was after more negociations. The internet offer was what got me there. I did homework and put together a price offer spreadsheet. I offered $22,000 out the door and they came ack with $23,500 and I said $22,500, or I will walk. They said, you have a deal. So, I bought. That is how.
  • Options
    godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    Geez, you kinda left out an important part of the "number trail"!.......thanks for clarifying and enjoy! ;)
  • Options
    prosaprosa Member Posts: 280
    Just came back from signing the papers, delivery set for next Friday.

Brown's Chrysler-Jeep-Subaru
    Patchogue, New York

2006 Forester X, 5-speed manual, Garnet Red
    Options: KYE (Auto-Dimming Mirror/Compass),
    M6L (Rear Vertical Cargo Net)

MSRP: $22,619
    Invoice: $20,921
    Edmund's TVM (w/$1,000 rebate) $20,910
    My price: $20,765
    (not counting, of course, New York's disgusting 8.65% sales tax)

Very good low-pressure buying experience, I never thought I was getting hustled. There was no discussion of financing as I've got one of those "blank check" deals through Capital One, so I can't comment on the dealership in that respect.
    I test-drove both a Forester and an Outback and gave a slight edge to the Outback. The dealership's best offer on the Outback was about $2,500 more (in line with Edmund's), and while I liked the Outback more that the Forester, I didn't like it that much more and was satisfied in going with the Forester.
    Totally unrelated comment: among the vehicles in the showroom was a Jeep Commander. I used to think that the AMC Pacer was the ugliest vehicle ever built. Not anymore :)
  • Options
    godeacs,

Thanks, I am enjoying it. Your right I did forget the number trail, completely. :P
  • Options
    km24km24 Member Posts: 36
    HI
    How could they afford to give you almost a $6500 discount on a brand new 2006 Forester? What information did you go to the dealer with that made them sell you the car for such a low price? Did you catch them at the end of the month? Was your car the car that would allow them to make their numbers? How did they make any money on the deal? The dealers will often say that their price is a little less than invoice. What is the dealers real cost for a car with a MSRP OF $27,500 and does the price vary by dealer or volume? Thank you for any information you may be able to provide as I would like to get a good deal on a subaru and join the club.

Thank You
    Khyle
  • Options
    Go to www.carbuyingtips.com there are some great tips on negociating for a new vehicle on this site.

I was on Sept. 23, toward the end of the month. I was the 25 car they sold that week. They must have been in the mood to sell, I guess.

Most dealers like informed customers. Do your research ahead of time and don't be in a hurry to buy. Furthermore, be prepared to walk. MSRP was the price on the sticker. The dealer could have upped the price or such. But, I always make my deal within 30-40 minutes; anything longer, I walk. No deal should take longer than that.

Know what the invoice is, then subtract customer rebate, and then subtract factory hold back. Remember, they collect on holdback from Subaru, not you, don't buy if a dealer is trying to make you pay holdack, if they do, get up and leave because they are crooked.

Also, tell the dealer, everyday they keep that car, is costing them money, they make payments on the cost of the car, they do not buy the car outright, not many places could afford to buy that many vehicles at once on their lot.

Hope this helps, but that website, very valuable.
  • Options
    dleodleo Member Posts: 3
    jeep1988, even with the $1000 incentive and 2% holdback, your price is really low. I actually have been tracking Subaru incentives with www.Fightingchance.com but did not see any factory-to-dealer incentives. Anything I am missing? :confuse:
  • Options
    eugenebeugeneb Member Posts: 3
    Just wanted to thanks everybody on this forum! You do help save money for people like me!

Just bought new 2006 Subaru Forester X Auto this morning from Shingle Springs Subaru (Shingle Springs , CA http://www.shingle.subaru.com/en_US/)

2006 Subaru Forester 2.5 X, auto. Champagne Gold Opal

Options:
    CARGO TRAY, BEIGE
    REAR BUMPER COVER
    SPLASH GUARDS - CHAMPAGNE GOLD OPAL
    CUSTOM TAILPIPE COVER
    CARGO NET-REAR, VERTICAL

MSRP: $23,597
    Edmunds TMV around $22,800
    My price is 21,750 and $1000 rebate = $20,750
    (OTD price is $22.696.86 includes tax,fees,registration)
    No trade-in, financing with my CU.

Sent a request from subaru.com to 4 closest dealers. Got responds from 2 (did receive one more this morning with even lower price, but too late :sick: .

I took a test drive at Maita Subaru (Auburn blvd, Sacramento) and like the guy a lot. We were going to buy CR-V, but after 3 minutes test drive at Honda with gloomy salesman and 30 minutes show (just briliant) on Forester my wife just loved the Subaru. Bad, that their quote was to far from what I asked.

I got a recommendation about Shingle Springs dealers from friends, so went with them. Very pleased. No pushing at all and left in less than 2 hours.

Question: I was offered an extended warranty: 6years/80,000 miles for around $1000. Is it a good price?
  • Options
    That seems to be the going rate. You can however, extend the warrenty before the end of the factory warrenty. Also, be sure that the deductable is not over $50.00 per repair. If it is not, then it is not a good deal.
  • Options
    Ok, thanks! I think I'll wait couple years.
  • Options
    wazuwazu Member Posts: 3
    Here is the deal, finally had to lay out my hand and buy the Forester I wanted. This dealer was a little farther than I wanted, but he gave me the best deal with the least hassle.

2006 2.5X Premium - Auto - Red
    Extras -
    Cargo Tray, Rear Bumper Cover, and Splash Guard package
    Auto Dim Compass Rearview Mirror without the home link

Price I took it for was $23,719 - $1000 rebate = $22,719 + TTL...

Anyone think I could have done better? Anyone else with the beige interior think it's a bit too light?

Thanks for any advice.
  • Options
    I do agree that this interior is too easy to be a mess. We're buying seat covers and bigger sized grey mats.
  • Options
    andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    I have gotten two quotes on a F X automatic, options = Splash guards, bumper protector, cargo tray. 21,250 out the door. At frst I did not believe the price as the quote seemed to low. Soon enough another dealer who had given me a higher price emailed me an offered the same price.......incentives change 11/1. That a no-trade price.
  • Options
    wazu,

I too have a beige interior and it is very light, however, I put a scotch gaurd on myself and it has been holding up pretty well. I put black mats on the floor to off set the black trim. But, the color has held up pretty well, I must say.

Did you know, it is the same cloth they put in their B9 Tribeca, so, I feel it is pretty good quality. :)
  • Options
    dunn3156dunn3156 Member Posts: 2
    The MSRP is $23,348.00. Internet quote is $20300 after the rebate.

Equipment:
    Auto trans,P-wind,P-locks,Ac,Cruise, Floor mats,Front and side air bags,rear cargo tray.

Is this a good price? does the internet price normally don't have too much room to negotiate?
  • Options
    Price sounds about right to me.

And no, I would not expect them to budge at all on that price, the whole idea is that everyone pays the same amount.

-juice
  • Options
    dunn3156dunn3156 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks much! the other quote was $20609. then they reduced $200 to $20409. I wonder if this one can do down too if I negotiate with them.
  • Options
    At this point the difference is 1%, I'd honestly consider on focusing on choosing the dealer that is more likely to give you better service in the long-term. Establish a good relationship with them and that $200 will be insignificant in the long run.

Good luck.

-juice
  • Options
    gmariegmarie Member Posts: 6
    I'm feeling pressured to purchase a 06 Forester LLBean tomorrow because the incentive 'ends' 10/31 and I didn't get serious about the car search until this weekend....looking back it sounds like they increased the cashback from 500 to 1000 and extended that offer mid-october. I've already been given an excellent trade-in amount on my 2000 Jetta GLX but didn't even get into real negotiations. I'm heading into the dealership in the morning and I want to feel like I can walk away if I'm not getting a good deal. Any thoughts???

-G in NH
  • Options
    ejjejj Member Posts: 36
    I don't think the incentives will get any worse--only the same or better.
  • Options
    Thank you... I'm counting on it now so I don't have to rush through this process. The salesperson I spoke with dropped the hint about the snowstorms and winter being their best sales tools (I live in NH) but I would think the closer it gets to the holidays the harder sales become. Has anyone else found that the FightingChance program was REALLY helpful? Worth the $35?

-G in NH
  • Options
    logtraillogtrail Member Posts: 74
    See my comments on my recent purchase of an LL Bean on the Subaru discussion forum. Bottom line: $24348
  • Options
    They usually continue and in some cases increase. Buy when you are ready, don't rush it.

-juice
  • Options
    204meca204meca Member Posts: 369
    After much internal debate, I bought a used MT 03 XS with factory tow, upgraded stereo, heated seats & auto mirror & 23K miles for $18200 in August 05. I bargained on this car for almost a month & it seemed like a good price at the time -- less than the NADA book. Now I see the same dealer has an '06 stripper advertised for $18,888. :sick:

I don't get it! How is it that Subies have such high resale value while at the same time the new models are sharply discounted by factory & dealers? :confuse:
  • Options
    raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    You bought an '03 loaded vs. a stripped down model, it's not the same car. By that reckoning you may as well have lamented that you didn't get a Kia. Don't worry about it!
  • Options
    NADA book usually is not a good option to go with if your the buyer as they are more dealer friendly, not customer friendly in regards to pricing. When dealing, be sure that you tell the dealer that. NADA is usually higher than Kelley Blue Book, Edmunds.com, or Cars.com, and others in that same category. Just my 2- :D cents
  • Options
    And I'm quite pleased :) As I had posted a while back, it's a 2006 base model, garnet red with a 5-speed manual, purchased from Brown's Chrysler-Jeep-Subaru in Patchogue, New York. $20,765 plus TTL. They offered $4,000 for my trade-in, a 2000 Isuzu Rodeo LS 4WD, which I suppose isn't bad given the fact that it had 76,000 miles, some potentially serious mechanical issues, and got dreadful mileage (12 to 14 mpg). What I really appreciated was the fact that the whole experience went so well with no hard-sell activities at all. When I sat down with the F&I manager to sign the papers, he did not press the point when I declined the extended warranty and made no attempt to sell VIN etching or other costly extras. In addition, I was probably a difficult customer from the dealership's standpoint because I had gotten financing online via Capital One, which I've heard is a major pain in the posterior for dealerships due to all sorts of nitpicky requirements.
    So all in all, it seems like a really nice car, the pricing was fair, and the buying experience went smoothly. Can't ask for much more.
  • Options
    Good choice, don't even look back. You'll cut your fuel bill in half immediately.

Congrats.

-juice
  • Options
    micrimicri Member Posts: 1
    I got a Gold 2005 Forester XT (5 spd) with:

Premium package, leather seats, giant sunroof
    Cargo Tray, Rear Bumper Cover, and Splash Guard package
    Auto Dim Compass Rearview Mirror and Security system for $23,800 before tax and license (after the $2000 rebate). I used the Consumer Reports pricing report to help negotiate and it really worked. Best $12 I ever spent.

I love the zippiness, the sunroof, but I don't love the mileage! I've had the car for a month now. I just sold a '93 Honda Civic that I only had to put gas in about twice a month. I'm told the mileage will improve after 1000 miles or so. Should I get the armrest extender? I've seen pics of it and it looks pretty ugly.

Any thoughts?
  • Options
    dstew1dstew1 Member Posts: 275
    Congratulations on your purchase!

Regarding the armrest extender, I haven't really noticed any lack of attrativeness - as far as functionality goes, however, do you plan on taking any long drives during the life of your Forester? It can really help to have a place to rest that elbow now and then. However, since it was probably a feature you didn't have on your Civic, you might not miss it.

As for gas mileage, I'm just now around 1600 miles and depending on how (and where) I drive, I've get anywhere from 19-26 mpg. I came from driving a Corolla that got 35mpg regularly, so I feel your pain. However, it helps if I remember that I didn't buy an AWD turbo with great gas mileage in mind. ;)

Doug
  • Options
    :)
    I got a black 06 Forester LLBean, out the door price of $23810 (including the $1000 rebate). I went in with Capitol One financing but got a better rate from Subaru (5.09%)

The biggest challenge was getting a decent trade-in-value on my 2000 Jetta GLX. I went back and forth b/w two dealers and finally settled with $8300. I was frustrated b/c I got the kellybluebook value of $9350 and bought that as a valid way to price. Two dealerships kept saying what wholesale cost was (like 6K). Anyone else with an issue like that? Next time I'll have to just be brave and do a private sale instead of trade in.

The car is beautiful, my only negative was the armrest in the backseat being a little funky. Sort of cheap and strange that it's so big...and hard to smoosh back into the seat when you put it away.

-G in NH
  • Options
    dleodleo Member Posts: 3
    Congrats! How much tax do they charge in NH?
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,343
    ... from his jail cell...

There is no sales tax in New Hampshire..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    swwjswwj Member Posts: 10
    Hi all, after perusing the Subaru boards for over 8 months now, I am now proud to annouce that I am now the proud owner of an '06 Forester XT Limited! It is a Steel Grey, 5-speed,and fully loaded.

We bought it from Dulles Subaru in Leesburg, VA and although our salesman was a bit of a braggard a$$hat, the overall purchasing experience was very good. We paid 26,800 for it (included compass/auto-dimming mirror, cargo net and rear bumber guard) before the accessories we purchased. Also got free lifetime oil-changes from the dealer. Not sure if our deal is the best ever, but in this area I think we did ok since it's about $350 under Edmund's TMV.

Anyway, the car is awesome and my wife (since it's going to be her primary driver) has already named him Mr. Thundercleese, in honor of the 7-foot tall battle robot neighbor from the Cartoon Planet show, "The Brak Show."
  • Options
    Congrats, and that puppy is loaded up! I'm jealous! ;)

-juice
  • Options
    rottmonrottmon Member Posts: 1
    What dealership did you purchase this car from?
  • Options
    brazucabrazuca Member Posts: 95
    Hi Everybody. I was driving through a small city in Indiana and found a Subaru dealer that has a "pre-owned" 2005 Forester X - dark green - with 3,000 miles on it, manual transmission for $17,900. It is in a very good shape, I took it for a test drive and really liked it. I'm a Toyota customer, therefore, always like the AWD capabilities of the Subaru line.
    Is it a good deal ? I'll try to negotiate to $17,500. Is it a good pricing ? I also forget to see if the car has ABS brakes, do you happen to know if it is standard on the 2005 "X" ? What about quality, should I be concerned that the car is already for sale with just 3,000 miles ? The dealer said the owner traded it for a Tribeca and the car was purchased originally there. Any comments ?
  • Options
    It's about $3,000 to $3,500 less than what you'd pay for a new 2006 Forester X. I suppose that's a reasonable amount off, but keep in mind that your interest rate for financing a used vehicle might be somewhat higher than if you financed a new one.
    As for the quick trade-in, I suppose the dealer's explanation makes sense. If it were a Lemon Law return or a repo it probably would have more than just 3,000 miles.
  • Options
    The deal is good, but I'm curious as to why someone would change their mind so quickly. I guess the lure of the Tribeca's fancy interior go to them.

I think it's a bargain if the dealer is telling the truth. Try this - call the dealer and ask someone else, if they tell you the same exact story, then it's probably true.

-juice

PS ABS has always been standard on the Foresters sold in the US, ever since 1998
  • Options
    Thank you for the reply. I'll try to investigate further. I already ran a carfax with the VIN and it's showing 1 owner, the car was purchased in March '05 from the Dealer where it's right now for sale.

I think the reason that it's a 5 speed manual transmission has to do with the car pricing.

Anyway, I'll have to move fast if I don't want to loose the deal.

I never looked at Subaru's before and I was impressed with the "beige" interior (looks really nice) and the handling of the car. The Forester cargo room and driver's leg room is also excellent. I know there is not much leg room in the back seat, but only my son will be sitting there anyway and he's just a kid.

I'm glad to hear tha ABS is standard.

Thanks!
  • Options
    Thank you, I'm still thinking but after additional research over the internet, I'm more and more interested i the Subaru Forester.

The only thing that I don't like is that since it's a base model, the bumpers are not painted the same color as the car, but at the same time, I will not find anything that it's AWD for less than that. Thinking...thinking...thinking...I hope nobody buys it before me.
  • Options
    Hey Juice, I was reading previous messages and it seems that you have a '98 Forester, I would like to ask you regarding reliability of the car....how's your experience with your Subaru ?
  • Options
    I think it is a *good* sign that the carfax is clean and especially that it was bought from the same dealer. A car is more likely to cross state lines if they're trying to "wash" a title from a damaged car.

That the same dealer is selling it means it was indeed a trade-in.

I have unpainted bumpers, and for what it's worth, I love them! They bounce back to shape after small bumps, and no repainting is needed. Basically, they work.

My Forester is now 8 years old, and we still rely on it all the time. I would not take my 2 kids in it if I didn't think so.

In fact, when it was time to buy a new car, I did not sell my Forester, I kept it and bought a Miata instead, so I now have 2 cars.

Remember, though, YOU are the one that has to like it. Did you enjoy the test drive? Were you smiling at the end of it? Life is short, so pick something you like.

That is a fabulous deal, so decide soon, before I buy it from under you. :P

-juice
  • Options
    mosquito1mosquito1 Member Posts: 4
    My husband and I have driven 3 Subaru wagons to their demise - a 1983, a 1987, and just this week our beloved 1992 Legacy wagon. The '92 has lost it's transmission at 140,000 miles - too costly to repair. Now we are searching for a used Forester. I found a 1999 with only 21,000 miles on it. It is at a dealer in St. Paul, MN. The car came to MN from CO in 2002 with 12,000 miles on it so was only driven 8000 miles in 3 years. The dealer told me that Subaru covered the cost to remove the engine and do a piston repair. The car is now all reconditioned and ready to sell for $11,990. In my mind, this could either be a great deal or a lemon. What questions should I ask before taking it for a test drive?