Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Subaru Forester Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    catch822catch822 Member Posts: 9
    :blush: Guilty as charged. :blush:
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    Assuming the MSRP listed is accurate, Invoice on that car is ~$23,396, so that is a very reasonable price.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Congrats, I ordered a PZEV last year and it came sooner than expected - just 5 weeks. 6-8 is the norm, though.
  • Options
    dante80dante80 Member Posts: 5
    I'm getting it in NJ actually....but I'm not sure all the Forester are PZEV, I've definitely seem them. Thanks for the calculation...I just have to double check if they are PZEV...otherwise I think I'm getting it a little under invoice. I'll be committing on 10/31. I'll go to the two lowest dealership and haggle a little more before I sign. Hopefully I'll the Forester before Christmas!
  • Options
    rckpghrckpgh Member Posts: 4
    New York requires that all vehicles sold within the state are PZEVs. You could order one in NJ, because states that border on states with PZEV requirements can order them. However, if you didn't specifically order one in NJ, it's won't be PZEV and that will knock $308 off the invoice. Good luck with your car.
  • Options
    levywillevywil Member Posts: 3
    Hi All-

Thanks for the advice. This forum was helpful for me. Below is the deal we got. Hope it helps someone else get their Forester.

2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium w/ AWP
    Color is Paprika
    MSRP $25,598
    Includes:
    PZEV
    Rear Bumper Guard
    Tail Pipe Covers
    Splash Guards

Paid $23,600
  • Options
    Sounds like a great deal (assuming automatic transmission?). Where did you buy?
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    When negotiating, should I you add the Destination Charge of $695 on top of the invoice price. The invoice for the 2.5X LTD PZEV with (wheel arch molding, XM, Reverse Sensor, Body Side Molding, Auto Dim, Luggage Compartment, Splash Guard) is 26,061, should i be aiming for $26,756. (then tax, title, doc)

Thanks!
  • Options
    Destination is a set price (MSRP and invoice are the same). If destination is not included in the invoice price you listed in your post, yes, you would add it to the invoice price when considering the full invoice price of the car.
  • Options
    joshd1joshd1 Member Posts: 7
    Great deal, could you let me know where you purchased from? I'm hoping I live close so I can get a similar price. Thanks!
  • Options
    cmastercmaster Member Posts: 4
    We are thinking of pulling the trigger on the following:
    2010 Subaru Forester 2.5X Premium w/ AWP
    Color is Newport
    MSRP $26,012
    Includes:
    PZEV
    Rear Bumper Guard
    Fog Lights
    body moulding
    and splash guard
    Invoice is $24,282
    our quote is $24,250.
    This should be easier, but frankly my head is spinning from all of today's activity.
    Thanks,& I hope to offer some input in the future, if I'm able...
  • Options
    What is your location? In general, anything under invoice is a pretty good buy. Are there any add-on costs?
  • Options
    cmastercmaster Member Posts: 4
    I'm in Manchester, NH. 03104
    Only add on costs were a 25.00 title fee and a $225.00 document fee (whatever it was termed)
    Thanks for the reply
  • Options
    sam5000sam5000 Member Posts: 4
    Bought in CT yesterday:
    2010 Forester 2.5x Premium Automatic, All weather package, bumper cover, cargo tray. paid $23200 + Tax + Title.
  • Options
    jingyeljingyel Member Posts: 6
    Hi,

I am also in CT and thinking of buying the same model. Currently, the best offer I got is around 23,757 + destination + Tax + Title.
    Could you tell me the name and phone number of the dealer?

Thanks!

Jing
  • Options
    Jing, please look up the number for Stamford Subaru. I worked with Jon and negotiated primarily via email. My first purchase there. Very professional and courteous group.
  • Options
    Congrats, Sam.
  • Options
    jingyeljingyel Member Posts: 6
    Hi Sam,

Thanks for your reply. I called Stamford Subaru today. I am not sure which Jon you contacted. The Jon I talked told me the lowest price he could give me is 23,450 and OTD 25,750. I asked he if you could give me the quote by email he refused, because he don't want me to bargain with other dealers...

23,450 is not bad for the 2010 forester premier/awp, but still not as good as yours. Could you give me the email address of the dealer you work with?

Regards,

Jing
  • Options
    joankodajoankoda Member Posts: 4
    what is PZEV I am looking to buy a forester turbo leather I live in Ny orange county so far the only pfice I have been given is 28000 which is too high Anyone know any good dealers and what would be a fair price I am looking at spending 26000 but want tubo Help
  • Options
    PZEV - Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle, basically a cleaner, greener version of the base engine, no turbo.

You may come close to that price range, but it won't be a Limited.
  • Options
    lap2009lap2009 Member Posts: 3
    Hello All,

Do you think $28,000 (+ Tax + License + $55 Document fee) is reasonable for a 2010 Forester 2.5XT Limited with the following options:

- Auto Dim Mirror w/Compass & Homelink
    - Black Cargo Tray
    - Luggage Compartment Cover
    - Puddle Light Kit
    - Rear Bumper Cover
    - Remote Engine Starter
    - Security System Shock Senor
    - Body Side Molding Kit
    - Splash Guard Kit

Thanks for your help in advance.
  • Options
    just received a deal on internet for2010 forester leather turbo for 26300 there are two of us buying is that a good price?
  • Options
    where do you live There are two of us looking for turbo forester and 28000 without extra's seems ot be the norm although we did get 26300 without destination i am sure.and not sure if it a legit offer. Also 27650 was another number will see Still looking around
  • Options
    Jing,

I apologize for the delayed reply. $23450 is definitely a good quote and still better than the next best quote I received from a different dealer. I believe you worked with the only Jon at the dealership. Again, this is what I was told by different dealers at various times during my research process that the prices they offer you could vary based on their inventory, not sure how true that is, experts here can elaborate on that.

Sam
  • Options
    Thank you ateixeira.
  • Options
    lap2009lap2009 Member Posts: 3
    Hi Joankoda,

I live in SF Bay Area and am looking for Forester 2.5XT Limited. Your $26,300 is a little bit below invoice. Do you and your friend have to buy together (i.e. buying 2 vehicles from the same dealer) in order to get that price?
  • Options
    I Finally pulled the trigger. I got a 2.5X Limited (Spark Silver) with the following accessories:
    PZEV
    Auto Dim Mirror w/Homelink
    Luggage Compartment Cover
    Rear Bumper Cover
    Splash Guard Kit
    Reverse Sensors
    XM Radio
    Bodyside Molding
    Wheel-Arch Kit

Purchased it at Lester Glenn in Toms River, NJ for $26,400, w/ $169 Doc Fee +Sales Tax+ Tags. Good dealer experience, there weren't pushy on any of the extras! Will be picking it up next week. Happy that Subaru has the "Share the Love" program that donates $250 to the charity of my choice. Now wondering if I should gotten the extended gold warranty?
    Thanks for everyone's help advice and sharing their experiences! Can't wait to drive it off the lot!

Danny
  • Options
    Congrats, yours was really loaded up! :)
  • Options
    seekerbargainseekerbargain Member Posts: 11
    Here in NJ we have what we think is a good deal on this car but please let us know.

27,374 MSRP
    25,388 Selling price (includes destination charge)

Doc fee is 188.

Dealer is offering 7500 trade in on a 2003 Forester XS automatic with 68,700 miles.

What do you think?
  • Options
    adamha21adamha21 Member Posts: 3
    Just leased a 2010 Forester Limited w/ PZEZ, Auto Dim Mirror Compass, Luggage Compartment cover, Rear bumper cover, Splash Guard Kit.

MSRP--$27,549
    Purchase price--$24,832

36 month, 12k lease, $595 acquisition fee, $50 document fee, $272 DMV fees, no down payment, no sales tax (Oregon).

Price out the door was first month payment and DMV fees.

Total payment per month: $348.68

Pretty pleased with this deal.
  • Options
    Take the 03 to CarMax for a comparison appraisal. If they beat it, ask the dealer to match it.

In most states you won't pay sales tax on that amount, so it's more than 7500.
  • Options
    michy44michy44 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,

Just bought my 2010 Forester Premium X MT with PZEV and AWP in Mass for 22,400 (actually had a quote for 21,990, but got $1K more in trade-in with the dealer offering for $22.4K). Does this sound like a good price to you guys?

Also, can you please tell the newbie Forester owner (Su-bie?) what are the must-have accessories or installable options I should add? I got as stripped a Premium X as I could find figuring that I would buy these on my own and do most of the additional installs myself.

Thanks for the advice, all.

- Mitch
  • Options
    bayarea007bayarea007 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,

After a lot of debate whether to get the impreza outback sport or the forester, I finally pulled the trigger today on the 2010 Forester 2.5X Premium 5 speed manual with PZEV and All Weather Package and the following accessories-
    Auto Dim Mirror w/Homelink
    Rear Bumper Cover
    Cargo tray
    Security Shock Sensor

MSRP was $24847 and I got the deal for $22425 before taxes and fees. I bought it from Putnam Subaru in Burlingame. My buying experience was pretty good. Jeffrey Berchenko, who deals with the internet pricing is a very straightforward guy. No pressure tactics at any time. I would recommend him if you are planning to buy a Subaru that they have on the lot (and they have plenty right now).
    I also took the maintenance package for $900 and extended warranty of 7 yrs/75K for $1100 ($100 deductible).

Throughout my drive today, I heard a humming sound after I shift to 4th and 5th gears. Has anyone else experienced this one? Should I get it checked by the dealership?
  • Options
    007 got these and I'd recommend at least getting these:

Rear Bumper Cover
    Cargo tray

The cover fits under the cargo floor, even, there is a place purpose-built for it. Neat.

Congrats to both of you.
  • Options
    The selling price, including the documentation fee, is about $155 under invoice, which is a decent price.
  • Options
    Hi That was a low ball price We did buy two Foresters. 2.5XTL for 27800 and 2.5XT for 25800. WE did get a few extra's like bumper covers and rubber mats. They were very nice no pressure. We had alot of dealers wanting to deal but the numbers sat around 26000 and 28000.We are in NY
  • Options
    toddkddottoddkddot Member Posts: 7
    I was looking at the Subaru of Richmond (VA) website and they give their 2010 Forester's an "internet discount" that brings their price below edmund's TMV and invoice price. What gives? They can't be trying to get rid of these already.
    What am I not seeing? Hidden fees? D&H maybe?
  • Options
    Freight plus whatever processing fees they might add.

E-mail them and ask for an out-the-door price.

Careful - in MD the processing fee is limited to under $100, but in VA I've seen some dealers charge as much as $400.
  • Options
    are processing fees a bunch of BS or do I have no choice but to pay those?
  • Options
    They are a bunch of BS. In the end, they simply add $ to the dealer's bottom line. I don't know that I would fight paying the doc fee, but I would add it to the price of the car when figuring how much I was paying. In other words, if I was shooting for invoice on the car and the dealer added a $100 doc fee, I would want the car itself for $100 under invoice.
  • Options
    gigoypotpotgigoypotpot Member Posts: 21
    Hello all,

I am in Orange County, CA and I need your opinion on whether this is a good deal or not. I am emailing with Irvine Subaru and got this quote on a 2010 Premium AWP:

stock # 12161 ( JF2SH6CC6AH733720 )

msrp $25,918.00

dealer invoice $24,218.00

sale price $23,918.00

out the door $26,448.39 ( includes Orange County tax and license )

equipment: auto dimming mirror/compass/homelink, splash guards, rear
    bumper cover, luggage compartment cover and cargo tray.

Is this a good deal? Also, how exactly do I "haggle" on the internet?

Thanks in advanced for your help. =)
  • Options
    Yes, but that doesn't mean you won't have to pay them.

Just get a quote with fees included. Ask for an out-the-door price.
  • Options
    $300 under invoice is good, yes. The out-the-door price seems a lot higher than the sale price, so make sure to calculate taxes and see how many fees they are tacking on.
  • Options
    ediamiamediamiam Member Posts: 17
    California sales tax is almost 9% and throw registration on top of that, using 10% as a rough gauge and that looks like a pretty good deal to me.
  • Options
    one of my local subaru dealers is offering free oil changes, engine, transmission, and state inspections for life. they say it is the same engine and transmission warranty that is offered by the manufacturer but it is extended for as long as I own the vehicle.

how much value should I put in this when negotiating? i'd imagine the dealer won't budge much on the advertised price if this deal is included.
  • Options
    asdf9asdf9 Member Posts: 26
    Hey jing, you still looking? Before you go to stamford, don't count out branford and Premier Subaru! Premier is a great dealership and it's where I bought my 2009 Forester. The extra drive will be worth it let me tell you.

If we get snow this winter bring it on! You new forester drivers haven't lived till you've taken the car out in a winter storm! I mean I use to tuck myself in and go no where with my old rear-wheel drive. Now I'm out food shopping and visiting the video store! I do miss my old 8 cylinder power. But down the road I plan on getting a 3.6R legacy to fill my power needs. Just remember if your driving in a snow storm and it just began, leave plenty of room in front of you to stop. And it doesn't hurt to not have to worry about buying something big like at IKEA.
  • Options
    I'd be leery. If nothing else, that "warranty" is dealer-specific, so it is going to be subject to the dealer's longevity and criteria. Have you talked with other owners about their experience at the same dealership? Also, they may require other services (not covered in the "deal") to maintain the warranty, etc. Are you going to live in that area as long as you own the vehicle? Do you plan to own it a long time? The list goes on.....

Really, only you can decide if it is worth it. Depending on the price they are asking, it may be better to do a Subaru Gold warranty (or none at all) and buy the car for much less somewhere else.
  • Options
    godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    Amazing - a tax rate that high and still the state is bankrupt!...... :P
  • Options
    Let's see, figure $25 per oil change, 4 times a year, so $100 per year value in that.

The guarantee who knows, the dealership could close or change owners. Plus all the fine print. To me it would be worth less than half of what a Gold warranty would be, a couple hundred or so.

If you can save $500 or more, pass on it. If the difference is tiny, go for it.
  • Options
    gigoypotpotgigoypotpot Member Posts: 21
    Right?? That's what I said too! LOL.

Anyway, I wanted to thank everybody for all of your help.

I am now a 2010 Forester owner and cannot believe it!!!

I ended up dealing with Timmons Subaru in Long Beach, they beat Irvine Subaru's quote by $100 less.

I got a premium with AWP and Popular Package (rear bumper cover, Auto-Dimming Mirror with Homelink, Aero Cross Bars, Cargo Tray, Luggage Cover, etc).

MSRP was $26,159. But sales price was $23,818. With taxes, documentation, and NVR, it came out to almost $27,000.

Overall, very happy with my experience and I think I got a pretty good (?) price for Southern CA. Thanks all!!!!