Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Outback Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• sweet_subiesweet_subie Member Posts: 1,394
    that seems to be the starting point. go in & negotiate. don;t be emotional. dealers in south never quote low but once you are in & say you are buying today, they will come down swiftly.

don't be emotional & be pressurized.

Subaru of Jacksonville is a very aggressive, you can try this too as JAX is not too far from atlanta. a connecticut dealer owns this & selling subarus at North east prices. they will easily give it at 4-5k off 32k.
  • dfwoutbackdfwoutback Member Posts: 3
    looking at a 2005 outback sedan 3.0 r ... it is a demo with 7000 miles
    msrp 31800
    right now we are at 27000 + ttl

it has everything i want on it option wise.

is it a good deal?
    yes & no.

yes, it is a good discount.

no, because
    1. sedan always sells at a discount even a new one.
    2. i believe this doesn;t have VDC, so it should be cheaper
    3. it is a demo with 7,000.

don;t pay more than 26k. i saw OB wagon XT with 7k miles at 26.5 only.
  • gringo1gringo1 Member Posts: 72
    Fitzmall is quoting $1550 under invoice and so is my local dealer.

That is $3800 under MSRP.

Someone posted some while ago here that it is possible to get $4000 to $5000 off MSRP on Outback.

I believe the dealer is justifying his price saying he is selling at invoice less $1500 cash back from Subaru.

Is there a holdback or other dealer incentive going on besides the Cash Back?

If so, is that what some of you are thinking justifies another $200 to $1200 more under MSRP than the $3800?

I want to know what is a reasonable offer to make.

Also, do any of you get accessories thrown in at cost?

Thank you,

Gringo1
    yeah, this is good. (before accepting the price) first list all your accessories & get it at 50%, this is the best time to get accessories - before buying. show no interest in buying before they agree to 50% cost. some dealers even give them for freee.
  • gringo1gringo1 Member Posts: 72
    Thanks for the reply.

Why are accessories discounted that steeply?

Are you saying 50% of MSRP for accessories?

or

50% of dealer listed cost as listed for accessories?

Thanks again,

Gringo1
    50% of MSRP.

first you should start with getting it for free. you will then get it at 50%
  • first_subiefirst_subie Member Posts: 2
    I plan on buying a 2005 2.5i OB soon from Norwood Subaru. How was your experience there?
  • ljwobkerljwobker Member Posts: 1
    Considering a 2.5i, manual transmission, premium package, total MSRP is 27,800. What's the general consensus on what we could actually get this down to?
  • ladywclassladywclass Member Posts: 1,713
    how is it that you always seem to have information/advice on dealerships in diverse parts of the country .. and always seem to know 'exactly' how much something should cost?

pardon my incredulousness, but it seems hard to give your posts credulity when you profess to know so much ...
    NOt very good experience i had. I tested them, they weren;t very honest. That's is the last dealer i would go to. They put a lot of pressure, they are a high sales volume dealer. Stay away unless you are a tough negotiater. But they do price aggressively if you are good at negotiating. the way they dealt with me thru email, i didn;t bother going there.

Pls. go to Singer Subaru in NH or Natick Subaru. both are good. At singer subaru is the best subie buying experience i ever had since 1993. see my earlier posts about my buying experience with them.
    Good question, i ask this myself. the dealer I bought from asked me if i want to work in the weekends because of my knowlede. Now to answer your question:

I have been buying subarus for me & for my brothers in law since 1993.

1. I lived in S.Carolina & bought my 1993 legacy there, hence familiar with that area & atlanta.

2. Then, i bought my brother's legacy in 1995 in portland oregon, hence familiar with that area.

3. I lived in houston/tulsa from 1996 to 2001 & bought my 2000 OB, so i know which dealers are good/bad etc. I helped my friends in buying subarus there, so very much knowledgeable with dealers there in houston & austin.

4. since 2001, i live in Mass & hence know this area well. I shopped for 1-yr & got my OB XT last month so, i know this area well now.

5. I visit my in-laws in Florida, jacksonville & made several visits to subaru dealers there to buy them a subie. so, familiar with florida.

Have i establish credibility so far ? I don;t claim to know pricing exactly, i offer advice based on my shopping experience & what i read & hear from friends. Also, i test drive a lot & test market every now & then. My hobby, if you will.
    i see dealer commecials in MA/NH to take 4,000 off any legacy, OB. so, this should be a good ball park for you, if you are in NE.

go to subaru.com. find dealers websites & click specials on each. you will know the specials going on now. Since people are wondering if i really know the stuff, here is the link: see specials here on this site, turn off your pop-up blocker
    http://www.milford.sne1.com/
  • newtosubienewtosubie Member Posts: 39
    Hey Sweet Subie - you won my credibility. Do you happen to know anything about dealers in Utah? So far my email attempts for a price on a B9 have got me a bunch of bull about coming into the dealership or $1000 over invoice w/Costco, but their invoice doesn't match Edmunds - not even close. Seems like I need to go to another market from what I'm reading. I do realize the new model is a whole different pricing game than the Outback. Just wish they'd at least throw me a carrot to bite on.
    don't know much there.

Have you gone in & negotiated ? there is a difference between a price quote & getting a final price in person. Go in on last 2 days of the month, they are desparate to meet monthly target. give your price & be firm. don;t show any emotions or weakness, leave wife & kids at home. i know NE dealers are giving at 500 over invoice.

wait, i expect tribecas to be selling at a bdecent argain in a few months.
  • newtosubienewtosubie Member Posts: 39
    Thanks Sweet. Good advice, and I do plan to wait out the hype I've decided. My '99 Passat isn't worth squat as a trade so I might as well drive it down. :(
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    See if those dealers have a web site and e-mail them for price quotes to save you time.

Also, print out prices from no-haggle dealers like fitzmall.com (MD, FL) and ask if they'll beat the price. Van Bortel is another (NY).

Finally, if they can't, consider traveling to the area by train and driving it home, if you're on the east coast.

-juice
  • drew10drew10 Member Posts: 25
    Any thoughts or experiences with Subaru dealers in the Boston area, especially Norwood Subaru would be appreciated. Will be buying an Outback LL Bean wagon very shortly, as soon as I can get a good idea of what I should be paying for it. I know Norwood Subaru was asking $28,120 back at the end of May and I assume I should be able to match this now in July. This seems like a good price compared to some of the prices mentioned here.
    Do you think this is a reasonable price to expect now? Any comments would be appreciated . Thanks.
    yes, it is a good deal if it is new.

about boston area dealers, see mine in the last 5 posts.
    sweet subie , you say in one of your posts that Norwood Subaru was not honest. Can you be more specific and tell me what they specifically did to make you say this? Just wondering because idealy I hoped to buy there because it's the closest to me. My first response from them through the internet was $29,895. This is high considering they were selling them (Outback LL Bean wagon) for $28,120 at the end of May.
    Not honest in the sense that they weren;t upfront & giving a price through the net & asking me to come over. they were playing the negotiation game. once i reduce the price on OB XT Ltd, they were offering me just the XT etc etc. I have seen many these in the past. It looks like they are dealing with you differently. Plus my colleague bought from them & negotiated hard & got a good deal on demo. So, that's why i said if you are a tough negotiator, you will get a good deal.

Did you seethe link i sent earlier about Subaru of Milford in NH giving 4k off any legacy or OB. Also, my experience at singer subaru (about 50 miles) from where you are was wonderful.
  • chumchum Member Posts: 11
    I'm looking to buy a 2005 Subaru Outback XT (manual) and live in central VA. I'm not against driving (DC ~2 hours away, Richmond ~1 hour away) to find a good deal and wanted to see if anyone could provide some help on choosing a dealer.

I've contacted a few dealers via email and so far the only one to respond has offered the price:

PRICE: $28,275 (before tax, tags and $250 processing fee, includes any rebates and incentives)
    MSRP: $31,846

Is this a good deal? It's the color I want, but includes some options that I don't need (or would even use). The biggie is the Perimeter Alarm upgrade -- I'd never use it and would most likely have it disabled. Is it possible for the dealer to remove unwated options?

One last question: What's the etiquette when dealing with internet salesmen. Is the offer they provide, the best possible, or is there always some room?

Appreciate the help...
    Usually they're already at a low price point and won't budge at all.

Compare that price to the ones on fitzmall.com.

-juice
    fitzmall.com is your best bet, as far as i know. they offer fixed prices.

$250 processing fee ? that's way too high. the max i ahve seen is $100.
    the price i think you can negotitate 500$ less that quoted. remember, dealers are now desparate to get rid of 2005s as 2006s on the way this month.
    Does anyone konw if there are any siginificant changes in the new '06 Outbacks versus the '05 models?
    Thanks for the reply -- I'll see if I can get the processing fee reduced, though I have my doubts given the way they presented it to me. What is the processing fee supposed to cover anyway? Folks have mentioned Fitz.. do their prices include tax?

One last question -- the dealer mentioned that they use the auction black book for trade in values. Is there a [free] way a consumer can check to see what they hope to get for their car? From what I understand, the black book price can come in under the kbb.

Thanks!
  • rileycrileyc Member Posts: 1
    I am happy! We found a great deal on an 05 LLBean with all the options/add on's like the compass/mirror, extended center armrest, nets, locking lugs, air filter, etc.

I did extensive searches on the .COM new/used car sites. Found one at a Ford dealer north of the Beltway in MD that had an 05 LLBean with 2900 miles. They were listed on multiple websites with different prices everywhere from 31k down to $25995. I worked with the salesman and got them down to $24995 on the phone. I even got a decent trade in value for our beat up 99 Beetle-Above KBB trade in value!. I figure I got the car for about $4000 less than a "new" 05 from the dealer. CARFAX checked good and it had a late March in-service date!

Glad to have a new Subaru!

RileyT
  • purduealum91purduealum91 Member Posts: 285
    Nice savings. What the hell could they possibly have traded in for at a Ford dealership? An Escape Hybrid?
    Two ideas: first check with the local CarMax to see what they'll give you for it.

2nd, ask Terry in Real-World Trade-in values right here on Edmunds what to expect.

Don't expect much - you're buying a car at invoice, so they will offer you wholesale, not any more than that.

-juice
  • oregonmanoregonman Member Posts: 60
    I just bought a 2005 Outback XT Auto:
    MSRP $30,424
    Paid $25,900 before tax, title and fees

Cash - no trade, no extended warranty.

The posts here helped me know how much to pay, so hopefully, this info will help others.
  • wcw2323wcw2323 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I wanted to share with all forum members the awful experience we had today at Milford, NH Subaru. I noticed that in other posts that they were offering $4,000 off list for all Outbacks. We stopped at the dealership today to allow them to participate in our shopping experience. The sales manager was the most unprofessional individual we have ever encountered during a car shopping trip. He was rude, arrogant, and condescending. He was almost angry that we were considering other dealerships for our purchase.
    I wouldn't buy a car from this dealership if they were offering $6,000 off invoice.

I would not recommend this dealer for a car purchase. We found that Dean Hill of Keene, NH was extremely accommodating. We are considering them and possibly dealerships in Manchester and Nashua. Can anyone share their experiences in NH?

Thanks,

wcw2323
  • lildevil23lildevil23 Member Posts: 19
    Any advise on good dealers in the tristate area esp. Westchester NY? :)
    bought mine from Singer Subaru in NH, best experience i ever had !!!
    MSRP: $31,829
    Price: $27,754 (before tax, tags, and proc. fee)

They came down about $1000 after I visited in person. I set a firm price, stared the Sales manager down and they finally caved. Thanks to all of the folks who helped here..

Chad
  • avguy1avguy1 Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know when Subaru historically begins offering incentives on new models? I'm waiting to buy an 06 OB XT L MT5 to get the color combination I want. They obviously won't offer incentives on 06s until the 05s are gone.
    wait until next presidents day.
    Someone in the Forester thread said that model already has $500 in incentives, but it also came out a month or two ago.

-juice
  • cgraftoncgrafton Member Posts: 1
    hey ss,

i am trying to work a deal on an '06 OB 2.5XT Ltd today. Do you think that I can pull this $4,000 discount off MSPR out of my hat? I printed out the Milford Coupon that you posted in hopes that it will make my offer more credible.

thanks,

Grafton
    that discount on 06 would be tough becos all of the 4k would need to come out dealer's pocket. go to Singer Subaru, NH. they are a very reasonable dealer, ask for the manager(there is only one) & mention this forum.

why not get 05 for 5k less ? not much diff other than color, nav & front big brakes
  • wam1wam1 Member Posts: 6
    HEllo

Are you happy w/ your purchase?
    I love the OUTBACK and am looking at the same model.
    It is between that and the Tucson.
    AS far as quality goes, Subaru wins, just thinking about $$.
    : /

I have them down to 25,700 out the door right now.
    What color did you purchase?
  • johnnypjohnnyp Member Posts: 1
    Hello. We are looking at buying an '05 OB 2.5i Limited wagon in the next few weeks. The MSRP of what we're looking for is in the area of $29, 200, with invoice being closer to $26,900. Given that the 06s are arriving quite soon, what kind of price should we expect to pay? Our local dealership is in Cedar Rapids, Iowa and they are offering $1500 cashback until the end of July. Do you think that offer will extend into August? Should we jump at it right away, or are these rebates just part of the process of complicating the sales price? Fitzmall.com has these cars listed in the 25k range...can we expect our dealer to come anywhere near that? If we do wait until August, are we likely to be out of luck in finding an 05? Any help going into this is greatly appreciated.

-John
    you better grab 05s now (this weekend is perfect to shop), month end. the dealers want to meet their numbers.

Pay 3.5 to 4k below MSRP on the LTD. before you give your price, get the out-the-door price from dealer, then you give your price. stay firm.
  • ebony5ebony5 Member Posts: 142
    I just purchased a 2006 Forrester with premium package from Prestige Imports in Pleasantville N.Y. for some friends of mine. Having bought from them before I did the entire transaction over the phone with Diana. The price was a bit under the TMV from Edmunds(no bargaining necessary). Perhaps I could have gone around and shopped more maybe saved a small amount,maybe not, but this transaction was fair and painless for all involved. She did not have the color we wanted but she called around and found one for us.
  • buysubebuysube Member Posts: 3
    Would appreciate pricing recommendations for purchase in Southern New England. When offering 3.5-4k below MSRP, does my final payment add on sales tax, title and license, or any other fees ie destination or ad fees? I need it spelled out if anyone can assist. Thanks.
  • swebsweb Member Posts: 1
    Hi all, I'm in the market for a 2.5i model, and am in the process of trying to get competing bids from a few dealers. What is the best deal you have seen for this model (auto transmission)? Can I get 22K? (not counting the rebate) (I also have $1000 Subaru bucks, but I'm not telling them that yet.)
    get the out-the-door price first incl. everything, then take 4k off. try this with 2-3 dealers through email. close it with whoever is decent/low price.
    I would think you can get 3k off MSRP since this is a base OB. then take $1000 off that, $1000 is what you have earned through CC program, it is not a rebate as dealer wants you to think. show subaru bucks only at payment.
  • jvhaasjvhaas Member Posts: 5
    How about the PA area? Can I expect to get 4K below MSRP on an OB 2.5i Limited wagon?

Thanks!!!
    sweet subie,

leave wife & kids at home.

why do you recommend this?
    Is that including the rebate? The LTD we're looking at currently has a MSRP of 29200. So, get the out the door price, then offer 4K below, plus the rebate, for a total of 5500 below?

The quotes I've been getting including rebate are tending to be 3500 below MSRP including rebate.