Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Uncle gave me a car, but it has no paperwork.

handsmanhandsman Member Posts: 1
edited August 2015 in Cadillac
My unlce gifted me his 1991 Cadillac Deville a few days ago, but there is absolutely no paperwork left. It has been sitting for a few years so the registration is past due, but that is all I know.

What do I do? Do I just need transfer ownership then get replacement forms? Please help. Thanks!

I am in California

Comments

• Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Is he still alive?

If so, simply take him with you when you go to register the car.

If not, you may have some hoops to jump through and this varies by state.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Uncle can fill out an application called (varies state to state) something like "Request for Duplicate Title" and when he does, he can also transfer ownership to you, so that you get the new replacement title in your name. I presume he is still alive and able to fill in some paperwork. I think you can download most everything you need. Call your DMV and ask them what you'll need.

If Uncle is not alive, then it gets dicier. You will have to provide evidence that your uncle or his executor approved of this transfer. If that's not possible, you may have to post a bond.