Are you a current or recent car shopper who bought an EV and then installed solar – or who had solar already, making the decision to go electric easier?
Are you a recent EV buyer (past 3 months) as a result of manufacturer incentives and dealer discounts on these vehicles, including year-end deals? Were you convinced to buy an EV after finding a good end-of-year deal, or due to uncertainty around which EVs will no longer qualify for full/partial EV tax credits in 2024? A national business reporter is interested in speaking with you. Please reach out to [email protected] by 12/15 if interested in sharing your story.

Uncle gave me a car, but it has no paperwork.

handsmanhandsman Member Posts: 1
edited August 2015 in Cadillac
My unlce gifted me his 1991 Cadillac Deville a few days ago, but there is absolutely no paperwork left. It has been sitting for a few years so the registration is past due, but that is all I know.

What do I do? Do I just need transfer ownership then get replacement forms? Please help. Thanks!

I am in California


  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Is he still alive?

    If so, simply take him with you when you go to register the car.

    If not, you may have some hoops to jump through and this varies by state.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Uncle can fill out an application called (varies state to state) something like "Request for Duplicate Title" and when he does, he can also transfer ownership to you, so that you get the new replacement title in your name. I presume he is still alive and able to fill in some paperwork. I think you can download most everything you need. Call your DMV and ask them what you'll need.

    If Uncle is not alive, then it gets dicier. You will have to provide evidence that your uncle or his executor approved of this transfer. If that's not possible, you may have to post a bond.
Sign In or Register to comment.