Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cute Ute for Long Commute -- Would You Do It?

katie_nkatie_n Member Posts: 11
edited August 2015 in General
My husband is retired with a pickup truck we can use on trips. But I still commute to work, 60 miles roundtrip. I've driven many different SUVs and CUVs, and currently own a Kia Sportage. But the gas mileage isn't great (lead foot) and the backseat/cargo area are wasted on our two-person household. Sedans are off the list: I really like the elevated view and cars feel like I'm sitting on the pavement.

The Mazda CX-3 has caught my eye--or will, when it's finally released here: I also like the Nissan Juke.

To save on gas, and also to maybe have a more fun, engaging driving experience, should I consider a cute Ute, or stick with the slightly bigger CUVs/SUVs? Comfort, road noise, durability, and overall cost of ownership are all important, but being a grrrl, cuteness and 'fun' are also factors. Any advice appreciated.
Tagged:

Comments

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,042
    katie_n said:

My husband is retired with a pickup truck we can use on trips. But I still commute to work, 60 miles roundtrip. I've driven many different SUVs and CUVs, and currently own a Kia Sportage. But the gas mileage isn't great (lead foot) and the backseat/cargo area are wasted on our two-person household. Sedans are off the list: I really like the elevated view and cars feel like I'm sitting on the pavement.

The Mazda CX-3 has caught my eye--or will, when it's finally released here: I also like the Nissan Juke.

To save on gas, and also to maybe have a more fun, engaging driving experience, should I consider a cute Ute, or stick with the slightly bigger CUVs/SUVs? Comfort, road noise, durability, and overall cost of ownership are all important, but being a grrrl, cuteness and 'fun' are also factors. Any advice appreciated.

There are a whole crop of new tiny CUV's on the market or coming soon ... the Mazda CX-3 and Nissan Juke being a couple of them.

Others include the Honda HR-V, the Jeep Renegade, Fiat 500X, Chevy Trax and Buick Encore. All have their pros and cons.

Do you need AWD? FWD will get you better mileage.

How often do you carry other passengers? Cargo?

Most of the cars mentioned above are based on small sedans or hatchbacks, so you should definitely try before you buy.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited August 2015
    We're shopping those cars right now too. Like you, my wife prefers to sit up a bit. Some of the cute utes have a height adjustment for the driver but many don't have one for the passenger.

I'd add the Buick Encore to your list too; my wife enjoyed our recent test drive of it. I'm partial to the Soul. And yeah, we're waiting to eyeball a CX-3.

We ruled the C-Max out because we do use the cargo area but that may be a good fit for you. Heard good reports on how it drives, at least compared to the Prius.
  • katie_nkatie_n Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for the feedback. Looks like I've got some more homework to do.