Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Tips for a college student on buying a newer car?

reyesjorge0621reyesjorge0621 Posts: 1
edited August 2015 in General
Just recently came upon this site and would greatly appreciate any help from experienced car buyers!
First of all, I am a college student in SoCal that will start commuting 40 miles soon. The car I currently own is a 2001 Toyota Solara SLE V6, pretty hefty on gas. I bought the car as a first time buyer about 2 years ago. My mom served as a cosigner since I had no established credit at the time (currently still paying it off,don't ask how much it ended up costing with interests rates). Anyways, 2 years later and the car is still running but has a blown cylinder head (oil and coolant mixed, fumes on ignition, check engine on). Went to a friend's dad and advised me the car isn't worth fixing. So now I'm in the market for a newer car.

Being in this situation, I have recently started looking for a newer car. Going to my closest Toyota, I test drove a Honda Accord 2014. I have a idea of what I want but really need some help since I do not want to get screwed over or have a huge burden on me.

Any help would be appreciated!
Tagged:

Comments

• texasestexases Posts: 8,922
    Get the Consumer Reports car buyers guide, lots of info there.
  • steverstever Posts: 52,462
    Got a budget in mind? 2014 Accords are going for $20,000 and up most places. You may be able to buy new for that. Used car prices are way up this year.