Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Tips for a college student on buying a newer car?

reyesjorge0621reyesjorge0621 Member Posts: 1
edited August 2015 in General
Just recently came upon this site and would greatly appreciate any help from experienced car buyers!
First of all, I am a college student in SoCal that will start commuting 40 miles soon. The car I currently own is a 2001 Toyota Solara SLE V6, pretty hefty on gas. I bought the car as a first time buyer about 2 years ago. My mom served as a cosigner since I had no established credit at the time (currently still paying it off,don't ask how much it ended up costing with interests rates). Anyways, 2 years later and the car is still running but has a blown cylinder head (oil and coolant mixed, fumes on ignition, check engine on). Went to a friend's dad and advised me the car isn't worth fixing. So now I'm in the market for a newer car.

Being in this situation, I have recently started looking for a newer car. Going to my closest Toyota, I test drove a Honda Accord 2014. I have a idea of what I want but really need some help since I do not want to get screwed over or have a huge burden on me.

Any help would be appreciated!
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,730
    Get the Consumer Reports car buyers guide, lots of info there.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Got a budget in mind? 2014 Accords are going for $20,000 and up most places. You may be able to buy new for that. Used car prices are way up this year.