Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• anks20anks20 Member Posts: 2
    Hey - I was looking for Rav 4 base 4x4 -4 cyl - you got a good deal on it. Could you share where you bought it from. I am in NJ. If you are around, please share name of dealership and the guy you bought from. Thanks.
  • shurhadshurhad Member Posts: 3
    Newburgh Toyota internet sales Marc Horne
  • jchan68jchan68 Member Posts: 10
    I've ordered my Rav4 couple days ago. It's a Rav4 2008 limited 4x4 v6 with moonroof, tow prep package, day light and in Blizzard Pearl color. $25,518 + 298 fee + ttl. I think it's an excellent deal and I will pay for $800 shipment to ship to me. Local dealers thinks this car is hot and simply not interested on my business.

This deal don't even costs me any bargain effort, it's simply easy and they tell me the bottom price. I'm now all set waiting for all the paper work via Fed Ex and I'll probably have the car before the end of the month. This is easier than I thought.

I wish you good luck.
  • dimmidimmi Member Posts: 5
    Looking at a 06 limited 4WD, 2,4L, leather/heated seats, sunroof, 19000 miles, $22400 before taxes and fees. What do you guys think?
  • rcruisercruise Member Posts: 2
    I paid $25, 413.16 out the door price...tax, title and all. I bought a Limited RAV4 with 4 cylinder engine, automatic transmission, with JBL, fog lites, and full set of carpeted floor mats.

The Limiteds seem to all come with the JBL sound system, the carpeted floor mats, and the day time running lights as a basic starting package.

I would not pay for the Toyota Guard and told the salesman to find a car at the port before they Toyota Guarded it. I also said upfront that I wanted him to take out the carpeted floor mats. It was easier for him to find a car at his other dealership that was already "on the ground". The installed Toyota Guard was just a cost that came off the list of accessories.

I figured out I would accept to pay $23,904 for everything except the 6% sales tax, the $25 Palm Beach County tax, and the $85 registration fee. The Sales Fleet guy came back with a lower price of $23,868, which I accepted. I think he came in lower because he wasn't sure that the $23,904 was my price or a price from another dealership.

The Southeast Toyota fee of $642 was included in the above price. I think they have to say that that fee must be part of the car's cost.

The only pressure sales add-on came when I went in to sign. The sales guy said his manager could not strip out the mats. I told them I did not want the mats and was adamant when the guy did the "I need to talk to my manager routine." The weird part was he came back and said we are just going to throw the mats in for free. Perhaps it wasn't worth their effort to re-inventory the mats.

I bought this car at Palm Beach Toyota through the Fleet Sales guy. He beat the quote from the Internet sales person at the smaller dealership down the way. Perhaps Fleet Sales do have more flexibility to give you a better price. Also, a bigger dealership might have more leeway on price.

All in all, this guy was honest, gave me a fair deal, was competent and would be someone I would recommend to my friends.

I learned that sales people agree on a price and then starting with that final price they back into the second figure they put on the contract which after the invoice is how much they are going to discount the vehicle to get to the "out the door" bottom line. It is just paper work and what the dealership demands of the sales person to put on the forms. This underscored the idea that again...what matters is the final price you will give them...all else is just smoke and mirrors.
  • firehouse46firehouse46 Member Posts: 19
    Good job! Enjoy it! Do you know when the Rav 4 for 2009 comes out?

I am getting close to pulling the trigger on the Rav4 but keep wondering if I should go Sport 4 cyl. or get a 6Cyl.

P.S. where did you get the Rav? Thanks.
  • normkolnormkol Member Posts: 135
    On Monday, I bought and took home a Base V-6. Details:

Base V-6 - 24,685
    FE 50 State Emissions
    DR Roof Rails - 220
    CD Tonneau Cover/Net - 140
    RL Running Lights - 40
    TO Towing Prep - 160
    CF Carpeted Mats - 199
    WL Wheel Locks - 81
    Destination - 685

Total - $26,210

I paid $24,500, plus 229 doc fee and 149 for etching. They wouldn't budge on the etching, which I feel is of little value.

Total with tax and registration was $27,152.

I also got the 6 yr/100k, 0 deductible extended warranty for $887.

I actually had been considering the Honda Pilot, since they are being deeply discounted because of the 2009 coming in April, but the size and mpg just convinced me to stay small.

So far, I'm enjoying the car. Fast as a bat out of hell, and handles very well.
    Should've mentioned, it was at East Coast Toyota, in Woodbridge, NJ.

I haven't heard that the 2009 would be out early, probably the normal time in the fall.

The 6 is really smooth, and on my first tank I got 21 mpg, mixed highway/city. That's phenomenal for a V6, in a brand new, unbroken in car.
    I forgot to ask, what was the sticker price they had on the car window? Nice to compare that to your off the lot price when dealing with car dealers.
  • trish16trish16 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    Where did you ordered your Rav4 Limited 4wd v6 in Blizzard pearl color @ $25,518 plus fees? I'm currently in the market searching for either a Limited or Sport 4WD V6 in the Chicago or surrounding areas. Sound like a great deal, please let me know where you ordered yours. Thanks again. Trish
  • jb347jb347 Member Posts: 7
    2008 Rav4 Base FWD, barcelona red
    + roof rack
    + 17" styled steel wheels
    + tonneau cover
    + drl
    + "lifetime powertrain guarantee"
    + mats

22,514 "sticker"
    Paid 20,599.95 + TTL
    $22,447.45 OTD
    where was that dealer located? Thanks
    Dorschel Toyota, Rochester, NY
    Bottom sticker was $26,210.
  • rcruisercruise Member Posts: 2
    I noticed that my RAV had no body side protective moldings on the doors or over the wheel wells. I believe a new buyer should be aware that your car might also lack these accessories. Mud guards are also needed. It is too late to negotiate after you have signed the papers for your car. My eye did not catch the absence of these details until after I got the car home. I post this so that you might not fall into the same trap. I think some smart Toyota engineer figured how Toyota could make an extra couple of hundred dollars on each unit by not including these moldings. It is just another example of, "Buyer beware!".
  • chymanchyman Member Posts: 1
    This forum helped me in my negotiation process for my wife's SUV so I thought it only fitting to give back. This evening we took delivery of the aforementioned. It was a 2 day process. We negotiated for the vehicle first and then handled the trade-in negotiation today. Our new Rav4 features Option B on the Toyota.com configurator. In short, this means it has the following:

FE 50 State Emissions
    EJ JBL AM/FM 6-Disc in Dash CD Changer w/Hands Free Phone Cap via Bluetooth
    RL Daytime Running Lights
    SR Power Tilt/Slide Moonroof w/Sunshade
    TO Towing Package
    CF Carpet Floor Mats/Cargo Mat

According to another dealer, our Rav4 must have been sitting for a while because the MSRP was $29,294. That includes $685 Delivery Processing and Handling Fee. I believe this because I found that if you configure the same vehicle today, the MSRP is $150 more or $29,444.

We were extremely patient. Our process started about a year before we closed the deal. During this time we were able to build some relationships with indviduals at different dealerships. This may not be your style but it proved useful when it came to negotiations. Prior to going in and closing the deal, I re-read some comments listed here, used the configurator to determine the dealer's invoice and TMV of what others are paying ($27,909 or $27,759 depending on $150 differential), and solicited internet bids.

We worked with the internet manager at the dealership where we purchased the vehicle and I thought it was useful. I'd only recommend this if you really do your research, know exactly what you want and how much it should cost. It didn't take us long to arrive at a figure that was $500 over invoice or $26,800.

Today, we traded in my wife's car for 97% of the KBB trade-in amount. I was happy with that but asked for more. I was able to have the dealership add a cargo tray ($99 retail or $109 on the Toyota.com website) for free.

To recap:

$26,800 and a free cargo tray + $119 in doc fee + TTL

Good luck. I don't think I'll be responding to any posts but I may if I have a chance.
  • pakepointspakepoints Member Posts: 7
    the $887 0-deductible 6yr/100k warranty is excellent. Is that the Platinum Toyota Extra Care warranty? We were told that the Platinum 7yr/100k "retails for" $2195.
    Yes, it's the Platinum Extra Care.

$2195 is VERY high. We started at $1095 for 6/72, and negotiated from there.

Apparently, from what I'm reading here, you can do better over the internet from a dealer you didn't buy the car from. Check the postings.
  • thtramthtram Member Posts: 1
    I just got my first new ride last night for 23K before tax & title fees at a dealership in VA Beach area, VA. Options included:

- 50 state emissions
    - 6-disc changer
    - Cargo area tonneau cover with multipurpose cargo net
    - Daytime running lights
    -Moonroof with Sunshade
    - Carpet floor with cargo mat
    -Exhaust Tip by Valor
    - Mudguard
    * They will also put leather on the steering wheel and gear shift for me with no extra charge.

* Sticker price: $25,163.
    * Sold price: $23,000
    * OTD price: $24,207

How did I do on the deal ? It took me two hours and a half haggling the price with them. I originally was gonna go for the Limited 4x2 Silver with moonroof, but they wouldn't go down much on the price since it'll have to be delivered from another car dealer within 2 days. The sticker price was 25,900 and their offer was like 23,900 before tax. But the Sport model has pretty much everything the Limited got, especially the same color I wanted so I decided to go ahead with the 23K deal and save almost $1000. What do you guys think ? Did I make a good choice ?
  • redsasharedsasha Member Posts: 2
    Hi.. I went into a Toyota store in NJ the other day and they gave me a price of $23,100 for the base RAV4 2,4 liter 4 cylinder, 4x4. The only option added is remote starter. (has the Option A pkg on website of 17 inch wheels, 50 state emission, tonneau cover, roof rails, and running lights) This does not include tax or anything else. Is this an ok deal? I thought it was, but when I look on carsdirect and carmax i'm not sure. I'm a girl, and went in on my own...now I am having doubts and can't tell if they are trying to rip me off. Please help!!! Thanks so much... I really appreciate any help.
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    You might want to check the Fitzmall website and use that as a price comparison guide.
  • redsasharedsasha Member Posts: 2
    thanks!
  • clewis07clewis07 Member Posts: 2
    Before Tax, title, etc my Rav4 was $27.3K; did I overpay??? Bought in Upstate NY and thought good deal at time..

P.S. are 08 Rav4s much different? I know they have the rear entertainment systems now.
  • rjr2565rjr2565 Member Posts: 27
    08 Rav4 base 4 wd V6 Auto
    Roof Rack
    Toneau cover
    DRL
    Tow prep pkg
    carpet floor mats
    List MSRP $26,129
    Internet price from local dealer $23,000
  • videodavevideodave Member Posts: 1
    At Putnam Toyota, Burlingame CA:

I was not necessarily planning to buy. I didn't even take my checkbook.

Trying to decide on a color, I found online that this dealer had the two colors I wanted to see in inventory. Walked in and dealt with the first salesman we encountered.

He showed me a Black Forest Pearl V6 4WD Sport model with:

6-disc CD changer
    Tonneau cover
    Moonroof
    Towing prep package
    Carpet floor mats
    I/F kit for iPod: this was new to me, $299 list/$218 invoice, it consists of a cheaply installed cable in the glove compartment that hooks up to an iPod and is controlled through the Satellite interface on the radio.

Total list $28,723. Edmunds "TMV" is $27,337 without the iPod adapter, so figure about $27,550 with it.

I offered to buy it at dealer invoice. He showed me an "invoice price" of $26,395, but I calculated the invoice at $25,925 based on Edmunds.com invoice prices and the iPod option pricing mentioned above. I countered with $26,000 and was accepted. I think this is an OK deal. Fitzmall.com Internet pricing for similarly equipped Rav4's seems to be about $150 higher.

TTL included:
    Sales tax $2214.68 (ouch!)
    License fees (state fees, verified) $242.75
    Doc fee $55

total OTD $28512.43

Overall buying experience was smooth, friendly, professional.

Many thanks to Edmunds and the people on this board.
  • nickd7418nickd7418 Member Posts: 4
    Hey all, I'm new to the board and new to car buying.

Im looking to buy the RAV4 limited...I think. I might like the sport because of the body accessories but I prefer the climate controls, steering controls and power seats of the limited.

My major hesitation is that I feel the cars kinda a chick/middle age women car. I'm a 23 year old guy fresh out of college and not sure its a good choice but maybe I'm just being thick...opinions???

Also I've noticed that taxes are a huge part to the price and I have, up to now, over looked this. I am hoping to offer and have accepted an offer of 27,500. I live in central massachusetts. Is this a good starting point or are they going to run me out of the dealership???

Any idea on the taxes...is it possible to negotiate them.

Thanks, and I look forward to hearing what you all think.

-Nick
    Invoice on that car, including destination, is just under $23,600.

You should be sure what this dealer is or is not including in price, such as destination.
    If you're worried about the Rav4 being a chick car, then it may not be the car for you. I believe most of the posters on this forum are male, so draw your own conclusions.

As far as tax, I have never found that to be negotiable. The state won't negotiate it, so the dealer won't either.

What do you consider to be more masculine, something that gets 14mpg?
  • nickd7418nickd7418 Member Posts: 4
    I was merely asking for opinions...more so on price.

Most of the posters here may be male but if you were to notice...most are buying the RAV4 for the wives...

It isnt going to make or break it for me...I'll focus more on reliablity and comfort, which the RAV4 is suburb in. As for the MPG...obviously its a huge factor another reason why the RAV4 is at the top of the list.
  • skeetorskeetor Member Posts: 3
    I'm a newbie to the forum from Oregon who is about to start negotiating on a FWD 08 RAV4. List price is $22.9K. Anyone know what invoice should be on a car like that? Will I get laughed off the lot if I offer $19K?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
    If you can wait and take the chance with remaining inventory the end of year deals will kick in. With economic news and rise in oil prices there should be pressure to reduce price across the SUV category
    You have to balance that against the fact that the Rav4 is one of the most fuel efficient suv's out. It may become a prized vehicle.

Time will tell.

As far as invoice price, you're here on Edmunds. Check the invoice pricing available here.
    I bought my car in 2008 and have recently been getting 23.5 mpg. Edmunds quoted an invoice of about $22,200 (including options); while the dealerinvoice price was ~$22,650. I also tried buying before year-end, but the salesperson didn't seem to budge on the price at year-end. =/

Also, we did better than the Costco membership price. So don't settle for the Costco price, although it does save you some money, you can save more. We did a little better than Costco, $22,800 ($22,325 invoice + $500).

I found this website worksheet helpful... but a little too late.
    http://www.carbuyingtips.com/car1.htm. It estimated a true invoice of about $21,674 (after options)!

When I frankly questioned the finance guy at the dealership he claimed that the "Factory Holdback" and "Floorplan Fee" was not negotiable and that they pay a fee to Toyota. This is counter to what carbuytips.com claims is negotiable. CarbuyingTips subtracts Holdback and Floorplan, while dealerships seem to add it on as a cost of the vehicle. Good luck!

On the brightside, we did negotiate a bit on the warranty, got a college student rebate (no cost to dealer), and the alloy wheels have become "standard" on this vehicle, so they considered it a freebie. (I kind of felt like the bonus Alloy wheels made up for the amount I was hoping to negotiate down to.)
  • tylertjtylertj Member Posts: 3
    What dealer in Wisconsin did you get that offer?
    Tim
  • justyoujustyou Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking for a 2008 Base V6 2wd. Based on the invoice and options price from this forum, and costco, yahoo, using carbuyingtips.com offer worksheet, the total cost of dealer is $21,982, and negotiated selling price is $22,642 (after 3% profit). I email Longo Toyota (in CA) offer to buy with $22,600, and sent this:

"Dear JustYou:

Toyota does raise their prices throughout the year (as do other manufacturers).

The new stock retail price on these vehicles (MSRP) is $25,189. Dealer invoice is $23,523. Can sell to you for $500 over invoice or $24,023 + tax/license/$55 document fee/$8.75 state tire tax.

Thank you I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,"

Did Toyota raise their invoice for the Base 2x4 V6 2008 to $23,523?

how much should I pay for this with options:

Option # 1: Roof Rack DR
    Option # 2:Tow Pref Package TO
    Option #3: Daytime Running Light RL
    Option #4: AM/FM/6CD changer DJ
    Option #5: Tonneau Cover CD
    Option #6: 17" Alloy Wheel AW
    Option #7: 50 states emission FE
  • oregonmike1oregonmike1 Member Posts: 5
    I wanted a 2WD Base V4 with third row seating. But the dealer could not provide me a car with third row seat and 2WD in oregon. I have shopped around and some dealers simply refused to go any down than MSRP. RAVs are hard to get here and not many in stock. Few dealers said they will go upto invoice but added advertising fees, finance charges and hold back above the edmunds invoice and inflated the price to real invoice + 500 approx.

finally, one toyota dealer offered 4WD Base V4 with alloy wheels, roof rack, third row seating.

The MSRP is $25,400 after carpate mats, mud guards, rear bumper applique etc.

The invoice on edmunds with optional equiments is $22,704.

I paid $22,700 including DMV fees, so this is my OTD price.

How is this deal?
  • mischamischa Member Posts: 16
    oregonmike1
    do you mean your out of door price is $22700, including all tax, tag, dmv, and document fee? it is really a great deal.
    Usually, the OTD price is the final check you wrote to dealer. Please make sure it is. Because I am making my decision to go with a dealer, who is offering me a price 200 dollar higher than invoice. if plus all tax, tag, dmv and documents fee, the OTD price will be $2000 more than that invoice price listed in edmund.
    Thank you for input.
  • mischamischa Member Posts: 16
    $24300 including destination fee

invoice on edmund is $23300 including destination fee

is it a good deal?
    could I ask for invoice price to make it a deal?

thanks for input
  • skeetorskeetor Member Posts: 3
    One of the nice things about Oregon is no sales tax. And DMV costs on a new vehicle are less than $100. The OTD price is barely above the negotiated price, unless you add a waranty.
    I think that deal sounds fabulous, considering the 3rd row alone is valued at $940 retail ($752 invoice).

Note to Edmunds TMV estimators: the cost of the Carpet Floor/Cargo Mat is only included on the MSRP ($199) not the invoice pricing (indicated "N/A"). So it might be appropriate to estimate something between $150-$200 for the TMV price.

In any case, oregonmike1's OTD @ $22,700 sounds great--even lower than Edmunds' invoice after considering the Carpt Floor/Cargo Mat cost. I'm also jealous of your tax-free RAV4 purchase. ;)
  • wendy24wendy24 Member Posts: 7
    Hi everyone,
    I'm new to all this, so please forgive me if I dont' have the right descriptions for everything. I'm interested in buying a RAV 4 with 4x4. I'd like to have seats that are not motorized (gives me so much more leg room that way). I live in South Florida (ft lauderdale) and I went and looked today around the area. The sales people just ignored the fact I was there. When I approached them to get a test drive, they were reluctant. They only had one 4x4 on the lot and after I drove it, I was curious about how I could get one of my own. Still no help. Is it just this area? Anyway, I was curious what dealership you used in west palm? And overall, how much should I look to pay for this vehicle? I have figured that it should be around $23996. Does this seem reasonable? How do I talk money with these guys (once I actually get some service)? Thank you so much for all your help! This thread has been very informative so far and you all give me hope that I will be able to get a nice car for a fair price. :)
  • godwheelgodwheel Member Posts: 25
    This is what I did and got a great deal on a Camry. Go to toyota web site, and go to to get a quote put your zipcode and email each dealer in South Florida (Dade, Broward, West Palm). Once you hear back from them, you will have a good idea of what they are asking. Take the lowest price, email every dealer and let them know you got that as your best offer, but you want much less. Email them a PDF of the Edmunds TMV and that will have them lower it further.

Also, from experience, Toyota of Hollywood will send you a VERY LOW price from the get-go which will help you get started.

Good luck!
    Thanks godwheel! That's great advice. I did email them and so far, Lehman looks the best (I think they are in Miami). The thing is, I'm here for school, so I'm not very familiar with the area, but I do think they are in Miami. You are right; Hollywood has low balled the others. I'm getting excited about possible getting a new car! My car now is a 1992 Toyota Paseo and I've bought driven it to death. ;)
  • lee72lee72 Member Posts: 1
    Blizzard Pearl White. Has every option excluding heated leather seats and remote start. It was a holdover only 144 miles on it. They wanted 26,754. Got them down to 26,000 with the Pro Pack (undercoat, paint treatment & upholstry treatment 699.00 cost) for free.
    Did get the JBL, Bluetooth
    Mudflaps
    Towing package
    Hood protector
    Carpeted floor mats
    Roof rails

This price didn't include sale tax of 1820.00 Total 27,820.00 OTD
    Paid Cash

Did I get a good deal?
  • godwheelgodwheel Member Posts: 25
    Lehman is not in the greatest area of Miami (I-95 exit US 441). Did you by any chance ask for price out the door? That will make a huge difference. Once you come to an agreement on price see what they can throw in free ;) Mats, Wheel Locks.. anything at all...

Let us know what you end up getting since I will be in the market for a new Rav 4 in the next couple of months!

Good luck.
    No, I didn't ask for the OTD price. But I'm getting ready to resend the query bc they are not quoting me 4x4 V6 prices. Or if they are, they are really cheap. I'll let you know how it all pans out, though!! :)
  • oregonmike1oregonmike1 Member Posts: 5
    Yes, 23755 is OTD price includes DMV, holdback, etc etc whatever. That is the final check I wrote. Only extra is the $55 documentation fees added on top of it. I didn't notice it in first place otherwise I wouldn't have accepted it.

It was not easy to negotiate but patience helps and so as shopping around. In fact sales person was ready for 22500 at one point, put numbers on papers but went inside and his manager refused. Finally settled down at above price. I took printouts from edmunds, fitzmall, consumer report and other websites with me. When sales person tried adding holdback above the edmunds invoice, I politely mentioned that holdback is already part of invoice and he should not add it on top of edmuds invoice.

One factor helped me is that I was looking at 2WD with no options but dealer did not have that vehicle. Also it was last day of the month and I guess dealership was trying to meet some target. I took the stand that since these extra options are not those that I really wanted, I am not going to pay for it. I even mentioned that if dealer wants, he can remove extra options, which I knew he wouldn't.

I have two friends who also bought vehicles from same dealership, same day, so I guess that helped a lot in negotiations.

Also dealership was nice and considerate. I recommended them to my friends and family.

Best luck to everyone.
    "My major hesitation is that I feel the cars kinda a chick/middle age women car. I'm a 23 year old guy fresh out of college and not sure its a good choice but maybe I'm just being thick...opinions???"

LOL! 27/male here... I was wondering the same thing. I see a ton of women driving Ravs around my area. Not to mention a lot driving CR-Vs too. But in the end I bought a Rav...the hell with what people think.
  • daileyaddaileyad Member Posts: 20
    Hi, can you let me know what dealership this was in Oregon and how you negotiated down. This is more the price I'm looking at but none of the dealers I talk to seem to be coming anywhere close. Thanks!
  • jamiemarie12jamiemarie12 Member Posts: 3
    :confuse: I just bought a 2008 Rav4 Base/4WD in Pacific Blue. The car won't be ready until Wednesday because I am having leather/heated seats put in a remote start and a moonroof. The MSRP on the sticker (before the extras) read $24,132 and after putting everything in it was $26,559...I am now looking at a lot of things online and I'm figuring the car must come with a lot because that's pretty high for a base MSRP. I looked at the inventory for Millenium Toyota which is where I am buying my car from and they have base models in so many different price ranges. They gave me a lot more for my trade then expected so that really took a big chunk off the price...total amount due on delivery is $24,224. I was so busy working numbers out with the salesman that I forgot to ask important questions like am I getting floormats and things like that. I know I am getting the roof rack, ABS and 17 inch wheels. Does anyone have any idea of what else I might be getting? It's Easter Sunday and the dealer is not open...anyway Happy Easter to you all. Any info on what else the the car might have and comments on the price i paid would be greatly appreciated!!!!

As for my experience I really could not stand the salesman he wasn't that knowledgable and he kind of had an attitude. I did work with the manager a lot and he was much better.