Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Importing Car into Canada from US

Comments

• Options
    subahondasubahonda Member Posts: 75
    I checked the RIV site. The federal list has what is excluded and 2008 is not. The specific list is a guide. Since the 2008 is similar to the 2007, the inspection at Canadian Tire would approve the importation. You can check with RIV for assurance.
  • Options
    mak9999mak9999 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I am also interested in buying a Toyota. After reading your message, I also found the dealer approximately half an hour from the border in WA but unfortunately I got the same feeling as they are willing to sell to Canadians quickly but not willing to provide what I am looking for i.e. color, model, etc... I would appreciate if you could e-mail (Mak-9999@hotmail.com) me the information for the other Toyota dealer so I could contact him directly for my Toyota.

Thanks,

Mak
  • Options
    mak9999mak9999 Member Posts: 2
    I have a quick question regarding the Odometer modifications. Did you managed to get it changed to metric system (miles -> KM) or miles are OK in canada.

Thanks,
    Mak
  • Options
    leftcoastautoleftcoastauto Member Posts: 18
    RIV does not require the the od to be changed from miles to K.
  • Options
    ianfmianfm Member Posts: 2
    Re: Warranty

I have found dealers who will sell me a new Honda Accord for import into Canada. I know that Honda Canada will not do warranty work. My question is: For a US purchased Accord imported into Canada and registered in Canada, is the new car warranty valid at US dealers? I regularly visit family in Seattle, so it is not a problem to go there for servicing?
  • Options
    The warranty specifications are given to you when you buy the car - in writing. You can hold them to whatever it says unless there is a disclaimer - ask the sales manager. I suspect besides saying the warranty is valid in the US, it also says it is valid in Canada. The dealer has to find it in the database. Honda provides a specific warranty in selling its products. Having had three Hondas, I can't recollect when any of them ever needed warranty-related repairs anyway so it's not a huge gamble.
  • Options
    v888v888 Member Posts: 1
    I'm interested in getting a Lexus IS250 or IS350. Do you need to get insurance before going down to the states? Or is it insured when you get the paper permit from the dealer?

thanks
    ttt3
  • Options
    wooha2000wooha2000 Member Posts: 54
    Any vehicle purchased needs insurance before driving back from the state, once you get the VIN # the insurance company you use in canada will insure it and the dealer will with you a temp DMV tag to drive back.
  • Options
    kim15kim15 Member Posts: 9
    HI, Please email me the WA dealer's name too. My email: FW
    T@telus.net. Thanks alot.

Kim
  • Options
    netdognetdog Member Posts: 66
    subahonda, pls PM me with the buffalo dealer info. I have a deal lined up in MD but would much rather deal with local willing dealers. thanx. netdog999@hotmail.com
  • Options
    tachestaches Member Posts: 6
    I am looking at getting a second-hand Crossfire. Love those cars, and they're SO MUCH cheaper in the US than in Canada.

Two questions 1) I see that many are for sale in Texas and Florida. How do I ensure that I don't get a Karina car?

2) I'm allowed to import a Crossfire, but it will require modifications. This is what the RIV website says: "The vehicle in question is admissible for importation but will require modifications to
    the existing bumper(s) before the vehicle can be registered and licensed. Some vehicles can be readily modified by
    substituting Canadian parts for the US parts. Some vehicles cannot be readily modified and may require
    comprehensive and expensive modifications as well as a bumper test, as stated in CMVSS 215, to determine
    compliance with the Canadian standard.
    " So who should I call to find out the exact cost of replacing the bumper? I don't know who would be able to do something like this. Would it be done in the US, or in Canada? By a Chrysler dealer or by someone like Canadian Tire?

Thanks so much for your help in this matter.
  • Options
    z4coupez4coupe Member Posts: 5
    Hey taches

I am looking at buying a z4 coupe 3.0si and importing it into canada

Coincidentally I currently own a 2004 Crossfire, 6 speed, what part of this fine country are you in?
  • Options
    Hello to all fellow car nuts

I am considering buying a BMW Z4 3.0SI COUPE and importing it into Canada. I have priced them at about $38000 to $40000 CDN for a nearly new one. This represents a significant savings over the couple I have seen in canada selling for $50000 CDN.

My questions are as follows:

(1) what will my total outlay likely be in CDN dollars allowing for the exchange rate and the bank's cut on exchanging funds assuming the cost of the car is $40000 US?

(2) How do I pay for the purchase in the US? Do I take a certified cheque payable in US funds over the border?

(3) Can I find out now what specific modifications will be required during the 45 day period once the car has entered canada?

(4) Is there any way to avoid the 72 hour period from purchase of the vehicle and obtaining title and crossing the border?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
  • Options
    If it's a Toyota - I didn't buy one - the sales guy on Grand Island told me he could then he couldn't - but I lost interest. You can try there. I sent you a PM with the information I have on Subaru and Honda. Toyota USA and Canada assured me that the central company is fine with importing.
  • Options
    poonerpooner Member Posts: 5
    Gabe,
    I would like to purchase a Toyota camry from the US, can you let me know how I contact you to get a quotation, thanks

On the same note, has anyone found a canadian dealer willing to import a new/used car from the US (for a fee) and sell it here in canada?
  • Options
    Dealers are not allowed to import if they are licensed in Canada. Some of them have a side business under another name - you can see for yourself on autotrader in the on-line dealers list. They charge about mid-way between doing it yourself and the local price - they don;t take requests. Seems an awful lot for a trivial service. I won't be any more specific than that.
  • Options
    (1) By my calculations there are no duties nor excise taxes payable on this vehicle (except a $100 excise tax for A/C). So your outlay will include only the price of the vehicle, dealer charges (if any), currency exchange, GST, PST, temp tags, carfax reports (if any), inspections (if any), RIV fee ($209), plus the cost of conversion (if any), and the cost of bringing it home. Most newer vehicles won't require any extensive conversion (if any). Check with RIV at www.riv.ca and they will tell you. Did I miss anything ...

(2) You'll need to agree on the form of payment with the seller but from what I've heard so far, wiring seems to be the method of choice for remote purchases. Consider also that if you plan to pay with a certified cheque that you may need to declare this at the border. If you're not too comfortable with either method, then consider using an escrow service if the dealer is ok with that, but you'll have to pay additional fees for that.

(3) You can contact the Registrar of Imported Vehicles to find out what modifications would be required to your vehicle, provided you know the vehicle's exact year make model trim and options (or so I've heard). See www.riv.ca.

(4) I've read several posts in this blog that some border crossings don't require this 72-hour advance notice, but I think it's just the less travelled crossings. I've also heard that if you are importing a new car from a dealership that some border crossings will process same day. Can anyone confirm this?

Regards
  • Options
    "I've read several posts in this blog that some border crossings don't require this 72-hour advance notice, but I think it's just the less travelled crossings. I've also heard that if you are importing a new car from a dealership that some border crossings will process same day. Can anyone confirm this?" I can confirm that it's not true. I was told by several US officers that you must wait three full business days after they have received the faxed title (and you should call and confirm that they have received it)and that they only are available on weekdays during business hours. US Holidays also do not count in the three days. So - three business days, not 72 hours. And the reason for the wait it to check for stolen or otherwise illicit vehicles. There should be no shortcut. If you are denied the export certification you will wind up entering Canada with a vehicle that will not be acceptable for import as the US stamped title is required. If you manage to reverse direction you will be stuck until the period is over. Since the dealer should fax the title for you, why would you not wait the required time before going to get the car? I did this with no problem and confirmed with the US agents that the wait was a requirement. Makes sense too. The Canadian border agency also wants to know that the US has done a proper check.
  • Options
    tachestaches Member Posts: 6
    'tario.

Is yours a Ltd?
  • Options
    As per this link...

http://www.customs.ustreas.gov/xp/cgov/export/export_docs/vehicle_exports/72_hrs_before_personal.xml

They require 72 hours and if they don't get the documentation 72 hours ahead of the time you crossing, they can actually fine you 500$.

Also, when I crossed the border it was at 2:00 am... US and Canada customs will process the documentation at any time of the day.
  • Options
    wooha2000, what day of the week did you cross on and at which crossing? The US customs recording for Lewiston Bridge (Niagara) says that they are open M-F between 8am-4pm only. Problem is that I plan to drive the vehicle back on a Saturday and won't arrive at the border until about 7pm. Has anyone else exported from Lewiston bridge outside of these hours?

Thanx.
  • Options
    Monday morning... 2:00 am. Sweetgrass / Coutts Montana. I would call them to check but from what I understand (obviously I could be wrong ;-)) border crossing are open 24 hours a day. I would assume that the Niagara one is really busy... would seem strange to me that would close.

Link below shows 24hour/day

Buffalo/Niagara Falls Lewiston Bridge 24 hrs/day

http://apps.cbp.gov/bwt/
  • Options
    The Niagara crossing is open 24/7 but apparently not for US vehicle exports. I'll call back and try to talk to someone this time.
  • Options
    Think you guys should expect to modify your plans to mesh with business hours at the various crossings. I have found both border services very accommodating as far as information is concerned, give them a call.
    I have imported cars twice through the Pac-Highway truck crossing(Vancouver). I simply phoned the US border office and asked them to fax me the proper form(import worksheet), I received back details of office hours and procedures along with the form.
    The American side demands three business days. Simply fax them the info, check that they received it and take a 3 days to get to the border. Pac-highway crossing for example states that you arrive no later than 3.30 pm at the American side. The Can. side is open I believe a bit later. Both offices handle vehicle exports Monday to Friday only
  • Options
    The US office at Lewiston is explicit about their business hours - no exceptions - as stated above. The Canadian side is open 24/7 because they collect GST and duty for all purposes. But that is irrelevant if the US side is not open. There are agents who will ship your car and do the paperwork - a person I work with does this often - he buys used vehicles at auctions in the states and has them shipped. He never goes himself. So if the office schedule is a problem - hire someone to do it. BTW the CBC news did an item on auto importing and featured Toyota and their policy that has no restrictions - except for the dealer agreements.
  • Options
    I think my best bet is to drive the vehicle up to the Niagara NY area on a Saturday as planned and find a good place to store it until I can return during the US customs business hours. Can anyone recommend a good place to store the vehicle safely for a couple days - one that'll be open after 6pm on Saturdays? A quick google search didn't help much.
  • Options
    The US border agency may have a list of storage facilities. When I got my most recent information package from Pac-Highway crossing they included a list of several storage facilities close to the border. The US side was very helpful even phoning me to let me know they needed one more document. The Copy of the Title hadn't gone through do to a fax line error.
  • Options
    smogilsmogil Member Posts: 40
    Has anyone had any experience with importing an Audi or VW? If so, I would appreciate if you would share your experience. I'm getting ready to import a 2007/2008 A4 quattro. Any recommended dealerships to deal with? Any problems with warranty coverage? Any issues with duties for a car with Germany as the country of origin (other than the 6.1% duty)?

Thanks! :shades:
  • Options
    smogilsmogil Member Posts: 40
    Hi all, just wondering if anyone has any advice on how to ensure you get the best price. It's pretty simple at home, because you can bargain with dealerships in person. But when buying from the States, you're just dealing with someone on the phone. Are there any internet pricing sources that give the lowest price? Or maybe brokers with no-hassle low pricing?
  • Options
    it is, 2004 Alabaster White, 6 speed limited
  • Options
    I appreciate your response

I have recently learned that there are companies such as Fournier Auto Leasing who will import vehicles for consumers. Has anyone looked into this? How does the savings compare to doing it yourself?
  • Options
    jagadeeshjagadeesh Member Posts: 2
    Hi folks,

I am planning to import a 2004/2005 used Mazda 6 from NY.

Can someone tell me how hard is it to import? How many days do you think will it take for the entire process?

Please let me know ASAP.

Thanks,
  • Options
    kerussokerusso Member Posts: 24
    Getting the best possible price on a vehicle depends on the vehicle you are looking for and how much time you are willing to spend researching that vehicle. Before I bought my last vehicle out of the states I spent many many hours and days searching ebay, cars.com, autotrader.com, american classifieds and multiple dealers websites until I was convinced that I found the best possible deal. That extra time you spend researching can save you thousands! And even once you have found that awesome deal there is no harm in calling the dealer and asking them "If that is there best price"! Good luck!
  • Options
    72 hours is the rule. That being said I called the US border the following day after they received my paperwork and they confirmed that all was good to go. However it was no big deal to me as I was bringing the vehicle back from Florida.
  • Options
    voodoo99voodoo99 Member Posts: 8
    Need Toyota Technical Help:
    Imported Camry Hybrid to Canada today and urgently need to know how the DRLs can be rewired so they are ON ALL THE TIME.
    Canadian law requires that the DRLs can not be defeatable (turned OFF) My Camry has this off position and the Feds don't like that. People have talked about cutting some wire to this off position? others talk about a jumper wire to by pass the switch? My US dealer said because I have the NAV system that, that option would not work. Need professional help?
    Thanks Voodoo
  • Options
    The Amtrak parking lots in NF or BUf (Depew) are free and easy.
  • Options
    You are logged in at Edmonds.com to be posting here - there are forums where prices are discussed. Also - Go to the main site and enter the information. You will get the invoice and selling prices. KBB.com, a competing site (Kelly Blue Book), has the invoice and actual selling prices in every zone. One thing about kbb.com is that it will offer to steer you to a cooperating dealer but be careful since that dealer is not necessarily going to give the best price. I found these US sites to be perfectly accurate and helpful. They also list all dealer rebates.
  • Options
    starman4starman4 Member Posts: 4
    Hi

We just imported a brand new Prius from WA - no problems at the border. We have our form-1 and we are waiting for the letter from Transport Canada.

Question: As far as I can tell, the temporary binder from ICBC indicates that the insurance is for the vehicle to get from the border to "its destination", i.e. our home and/or Canadian Tire for inspection, etc. Is there any way of getting a temporary license/insurance so that we can drive the car in the meantime?
  • Options
    Easiest way to find out is to ask your ICBC agent.I doubt it though, the car is not road legal till it has passed the inspection. RIV will expedite your form 2 if you phone them. Give them a few days and request they E-Mail it to you, otherwise you will wait up to two weeks for snail mail. In the meantime get your daytime running lights wired and anything else that's an obvious fix.
  • Options
    starman4starman4 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks - we get different answers from different ICBC agents depending on who we ask. By the book, it appears that the vehicle cannot be driven until we get our form 2.
  • Options
    lax5lax5 Member Posts: 29
    I drove home from AZ with an ICBC binder insurance policy. The policy required me to report to the insurance office immediately upon entering Canada. What the insurance agent then did was convert the binder into a temp insurance policy and used the days remaining on the binder.

If one cannot put temp insurance on a vehicle how could the inspections be done?

Good luck.
  • Options
    This question comes up ALL the time and as far as I know there in NO Canadian Province that will issue a temporary license plate (someone correct me if I am wrong) that allows you to drive your vehicle while waiting for the Federal inspection. Some people have however drove their vehicles in Canada with the temporary plate issued in the state where they purchased the vehicle. Please do not ask me about the legal ramifications on the use of temporary plates from the United States as I am not qualified to answer.
  • Options
    When I imported a new car from the US I asked the provincial auto licensing office in Ontario. They said if the car is insured and was legally imported, it may be driven without being registered in Canada, as any other non-Canada vehicle would be. However, as soon as all the paperwork wasin, I completed the provincial registration. Prior to that I did have papers that identify my legal ownership and importation. I also had a temporary NY (paper) plate from the dealer and I kept it on the vehicle until the proper Canadian plate was in place.
  • Options
    36tris36tris Member Posts: 1
    Hi Subahonda,

Do you mind to share which dealership you bought your Yaris from?
  • Options
    ccurrellccurrell Member Posts: 2
    I am looking at importing a GM truck into Ontario from the US. This site has given me some great information and I thank everyone that posts and answers these questions.

My question is about the factory warranty on GM vehicles. Is the factory warranty valid in Ontario? Can the truck be serviced under warranty at any GM dealership in Ontario?

Thank you for your time.
  • Options
    Yes, I am quite sure your GM warranty will be valid in Canada. I do believe from previous posts that your GM vehicle must have a minimum of 12,000 KM on it before you can receive any warranty service. I would give GM Canada a call to verify this information.
  • Options
    patnspatns Member Posts: 4
    I am interested in buying a Toyota Prius in the US. I know that many of this model are made in China. Does anyone know if any are built in North America?
  • Options
    hybrid10hybrid10 Member Posts: 26
    Cmry07owner;

I have been hunting for a cooperative Toyota dealer in WA or MT (I'm in Alberta). I've gone through 8 so far in major centres and their story is very consistent - they will not sell direct without a valid US residence and pay local state tax if any. Can you please send me the name of your good dealer by email: robinsj1@telusplanet.net. Can anyone who got the message from Cmry07owner please forward to my email. Thank You!!
  • Options
    hotel1hotel1 Member Posts: 50
    Better check on that warranty issue with GM directly.
    Many auto mfrs. WILL NOT honor it for a US bought vehicle
    "imported" into Canada.
    Now a US or Canadian just traveling out of country and needing warranty service is different.

Don't find out too late!
  • Options
    I didn't buy a Yaris - I wonder what I said that gave the impression. Bought a Subaru.