Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Importing Car into Canada from US

Comments

• Options
    shabishabi Member Posts: 15
    I am in process of importing a used 2007 Lexus Rx350 from New york city, but I am bit confused about the documents for used cars.
    I called Lewiston/Queenston border usa and they said they only need "Title" to be faxed 72 hours prior to crossing the border, but in forum many people saying that Bill of sale has also be faxed.Similarly I called RIV they said they only need Title and Bill of sale, but in forum people say that Recall letter, immbolization certificate, Invoice, dealer's agreement of purchase is also required. Please clarify the situation ASAP
  • Options
    mikewipfmikewipf Member Posts: 4
    hi Bob

would you be able to send me a copy of the 21 step guide to importing a vehical into canada from the united states. my email is mikewinedmonton@hotmail.com
    thanks in advance

Mike
  • Options
    I bought 2007 Lexus Rx 350 from US, my dealer is offering Lexus Platinum Extended warranty zero deductible (Bumper to Bumper) at reasonable rates (7yr\75000 miles=$1385). He said that it is good in Canada.
    I need reconfirmation from you guys before buying it. Any member who imported Lexus or Toyota and bought this warranty can confirm it
  • Options
    pat118pat118 Member Posts: 4
    Shabi,

I heard all people said that. It might be true. What you really need is call Lexus Canada to find it out.

BTW, could you please tell me where is your dealer in US. I am also thinking to buy one 2007 RX350 from US too.

Thanks alot.

Patrick
  • Options
    sterio_lovesterio_love Member Posts: 2
    hello

has anybody imported mdx from Us lately? If yes, please PM me the dealers.

Thanks
  • Options
    smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    sorry if I sound annoyed, but I see this day in and day out on edmunds; Nissan's luxury company is Infiniti not Infinity! there is an i at the end not a y!
  • Options
    simonwangsimonwang Member Posts: 1
    Hi Bob,

Could you send me a copy of the guide? I am very appreciated and will follow up my importing process.

Here is my email address: wangxis@hotmail.com
  • Options
    jacksamjacksam Member Posts: 1
    Hi Friends.
    This is my story.
    I purchased a used Toyota Sienna 2006 LE in the USA about 2 month ago brought it into Canada and RIV is not letting me register the car.
    Why? the famous recall of all siennas from 2004-2010 with the spare tire as you can see on the site.
    http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Toyota_to_recall_Sienna_minivan_in_North_America
    I called Toyota about fixing the problem but they claim the have no solution yet.
    I called the RIV they claim without a letter form Toyota that the problem was fixed they can't let me register the car in Canada.
    I went to Toyota canada to inspect my spare tire carrier cable and they said it's in excellent condition but that's not enough for RIV.
    Buying Sienna in USA to register in USA no problem or buying in Canada to register in Canada no problem because the car is already in the system but registering a sienna from the USA into Canada is impossible.
    So I'm stuck between Toyota and RIV I can't even return my sienna to the USA because I paid taxes on it already.
    If any one can offer any help I would be more than happy to thank him.
    Thank you
  • Options
    malunamaluna Member Posts: 18
    Sorry I can't offer a solution, only encouragement. I'm sure they will implement a procedure to follow, just keep asking and then you and thousands of others can get on with it- Hang in there buddy. It's a great Van. I've owned a few over the years!
  • Options
    milemmilem Member Posts: 39
    Hello,
    Since your last message have you purchase your car ?
    And what solution did you choose (1 or 2 from your last message)?

I'm thinking of buying a used car from a particular (not a dealer) and I'm wondering how to do it with the same security. Two years ago I imported a new car from a dealer so it was easy to have the title and bill of sale...

You wrote about a "Form 262" showing the sale. Can you give me more info about it: what is this form and where do I get it ??

Thanks !
  • Options
    Hello,

I'm thinking of buying a used car from a particular (not a dealer) and I'm wondering how to do it with the same security. Two Tree years ago I imported a new car from a dealer so it was easy to have the title and bill of sale...

On RIV website, it's written that we must send the "vehicle title documents, registration and sales receipts" to the US borders.

So I'm wondering how do I get the "sale receipt" or bill of sale from a particular ? Is there a Form ?

In a previous post, somebody wrote about a "Form 262 showing the sale", but I don't know where to find it ??

Can somebody help me please !
  • Options
    Thinking of buying from a particular I have a few questions:

1-How do I get a temp tag (plate) when I buy from a particular ? Do we go together to the "vehicule bureau" ?

2- If we have to go together to the office can it be done in any state or it has to be in the state of the seller ?
    Thanks
  • Options
    imfmimfm Member Posts: 1
    Hi Bob,

Could you please send me your 21 steps to importing vehicle from the USA at imfm2000@gmail.com? Thanks

Best Regards,
    IMFM
  • Options
    dskoreykodskoreyko Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a used 08 LR 2 in Dubai . The vehicle was originally imported to the US new and then here. At some point I may want to take it back to Canada.What are the hazards??
  • Options
    dreadknutsdreadknuts Member Posts: 5
    Hi all,
    I'm a newbie to this site and negotiating to buy a BMW 535xi in ATL USA. Can anyone please send me the 21 steps guide.
    Can anyone guide me through what I need to get the vehicle registered in Canada (documents, mods, cost, tax etc)

Thanks in advance :)
  • Options
    Thanks to all and particularly Bob, for his 21 importing steps, which make the importing process simple and easy. Within 7 days after crossing the border I got Ontario number plate on my car.Here is the story:
    I compared the used Lexus Rx 350 prices on line (autotrader.com and cars .com and Lexus Dealers web sites). Talk to them on phone, finally drove to Manhattan Newyork, visited 4 Lexus dealers, finalized with Lexus of Manhattan one car, that is 2007 Lexus RX 350 with navigation, backup camera, bluetooth, tow package leather seats etc with 26250 miles (40000 KMs) mint condition and my favorite color combination black in black. Negotiated the price to US $25500, checked paint thickness with metre, obtained 165 points inspection report, paid $1000 token, drove back to Canada/toronto, wired balance money and fax insurance binder, asked them to fax title to US customs at Lewiston Niagara falls, confirmed by calling to US customs, Take Mega Bus to Manhattan, Pickup car and papers (original title and Bill of sale) called Lexus USA and asked them to fax recall letter to Dealer, they did within half an hour, Dealer arranged for Temp tag and pasted at right place. I drove back to Lewiston, it was night, stayed in hotel, early morning went to the US customs, they checked VIN# and stamped title, went to canadian border, filled up form 1, they looked at bill of sale calculated GST in canadians $, paid GST+$100 AC, drive to home and paid RIV fee $225 on line. Next day visited Canadian tire they checked and inform to ministry for Canadian compliance report, next day visited RIV office at Etobicoke, they verified recall letter and collected form 2. One day later I got canadian compliance sticker in mail. I visited nearby car mechanic who issued Safety certificate and emission report for $85 ($50+$35). Next day I went to Ministry transport, paid PST+ registration fee + Plate cost.
    BTW I bought Lexus platinum warranty zero deductable upto 75000 miles/120000 Kms or 3 years which ever comes early for US$1250 (it was not necessary but for my satisfaction as I was buying used non certified preowned car).
    Total cost including GST+ PST+AC fee+ RIV fee+ Mega bus ticket+ Gas+ hotel+Emmision+ safety+ currency conversion=$30500 Lexus warranty is extra.
    I don't know how much I save, You guys can judge bu yourself.
  • Options
    jtphillipjtphillip Member Posts: 2
    Hi Bob, it would be great if you could send your 21 steps!

Thanks
  • Options
    jtphillipjtphillip Member Posts: 2
    Hi Bob, it would be great if you could send your 21 steps!

Thanks

James.phillips@telus.net
  • Options
    blangelaanblangelaan Member Posts: 31
    Read message #4578 for instructions on how to get my doc.
  • Options
    Read message #4578 for instructions on how to get my doc.
  • Options
    Hi,
    Having imported a car in the past, I followed the description of your steps but, I was wondering why you had to visit a car mechanic to get a "Safety certificate and emission report" ? Can you elaborate please ? Thanks
  • Options
    beibeibeibei Member Posts: 1
    Hi Bob,

Could you send me a copy of your guide, too? My email address is maomao71981@hotmail.com.

Many thanks for your help and I will send you feedback once I complete the process.

maomao
  • Options
    Becuase it is a used car, and for used car registration in Toronto, safety and emission is must.
    For new cars it is exempted
  • Options
    Looking for information on how to get insurance on the vehicle I'm buying from the US. I intend to drive the vehicle back to Canada.

Thanks
    :confuse:
  • Options
    knsgeeknsgee Member Posts: 21
    In 2006 I imported a new vehicle and had the same problem you seem to be experiencing as the local representative for insurance company kept telling me that they couldn't provide coverage. I went up the ladder via e-mail and a rep from a higher offoice eventually agreed that it could be provided and arranged for it to happen.
    I had been dealing with this company for some time and was surprised at the original opinion of local rep that they were unable to provide insurance....especially at that time when hundreds of people were importing vehicles and I am sure not doing so without having insurance coverage.

Good Luck Gary
  • Options
    wazzybabywazzybaby Member Posts: 3
    have agreed to purchase an 2010 AUDI Q7 TDI . My insurance company won't insure it as they said it is an invalid VIN and this sometimes happens on some US cars - that was Unifund. Am calling AllState, but believe they are having the same issue.

Anyone import an Audi Q7 TDI and if yes, which insurer will cover this vehicle?
    Many thanks.
  • Options
    Surely they must have given a reason as to why it is invalid? Does it have features that are not allowed in Canada - for example not stringent enough polution control equipment? I have never heard of this issue before. Usually it is RIV that is the "filter" in terms of what is allowed in Canada, and can therefore be insured. Are you certain this vehicle is allowed into Canada by RIV?
  • Options
    Shabi,
    Will appreciate if you can please provide some info on how u got insurance on your vehicle
  • Options
    wazzybabywazzybaby Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2010
    My car insurer said that since they are 'a Canadian company' they don't insure all vehicles, and that is the reason they gave me about this US import. I spoke to the Regional Manager & was informed that some vehicles are not in their data base, but that was the best explanation, which still is pretty lame.

I called the insurer who does my home, and can also provide auto insurance. It was a relief to speak w/ him as he also teaches insurance and said that the others probably didn't know what they were doing.
    He checked the VIN & it came up in the system and he was also able to provide me with a quote over the phone immediately. He also informed me that my current car insurer, whether they like it not, have to cover me on a US car purchase for 14 days from the time of purchase as per Ontario insurance.

And yes, I had checked the RIV and this vehicle is allowed into Canada so that wasn't the issue.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    Can anyone please share details of a Canadian friendly Honda dealer in the US with me
  • Options
    hishamhisham Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I am thinking about buying a Q5 from the US and bringing it to Canada. I have a few questions and your help will be appreciated.
    a. Some of the Audi dealers are refusing to sell me the car because they signed a deal with Audi. However, a few seems ok with the which is making me a bit suspicious. Any comments??
    b. Where is the best place to buy the US funds in Canada and get the best rate?

Assuming that I will hand the dealer a certified check and get the car. Would I have to stay 72 hours in the US until the borders are ready for me to cross?? I am not understanding what will happen from the point I purchase the car until I can cross the border.
    Your help is appreciated.

Regards
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Hisham,
    Review the content of the url below
    http://www.importcarcanada.com/main/index.php?page=7
  • Options
    coolshyguycoolshyguy Member Posts: 6
    Hey Bob,

Can you send me your 21 steps document as well.

Thanks !!
  • Options
    farhillgreenfarhillgreen Member Posts: 5
    Bob

Please send me your 21-steps notes. Thanks in advance. I will post my feedback once I am done the import.
  • Options
    farhillgreenfarhillgreen Member Posts: 5
    Two weeks ago, for a vehicle with the same model (2011) and trim (base), I got two quotes - one from a dealer here in Ont. Canada (in person); one from a dealer in MA, USA (only through email/phone). If I only compare the MSRP, the difference of the two quotes roughly reflects the currency convert @ US $1= CAD $1.05, with which I am OK. But when I look at the invoice prices, the US is US$4,000 below the MSRP + $800 destination fee included (saving whopping 4,800) while the Canadian is at best (not promise finally) considering to give CAD$1,000 below MSRP if I made cash purchase, but gotta charge me $1,980 for delivery/handling fee. What pity being here to buy a vehicle.
  • Options
    jsm123jsm123 Member Posts: 1
    Bob

Please send me your 21-steps notes. Thanks in advance.

Also if anyone knows any Canadian Friendly Honda dealers let me know. I want purchase new 2011 Odyssey.
  • Options
    cchasowkingcchasowking Member Posts: 1
    Hey Bob,

Can you send me your 21 steps document as well.

Thanks !!
  • Options
    mr_mayhewmr_mayhew Member Posts: 3
    I have relationships with all manufacturers in the USA, including Honda ,for purchasing brand new vehicle with full factory rebates and dealer cash. If you run into an issue and cannot find a dealer to work with, send me an email to jason@lpauto.ca or build the car using my builder and submit it for a quote. www.LPauto.ca
  • Options
    kd007kd007 Member Posts: 3
    Hi, saw from previous posts that there was some uncertainty on importing the 2010 rx 350. I know daytime lights need mod but can anyone confirm that the anti theft is ok with RIV for the electronic mobilization feature?
  • Options
    kd007kd007 Member Posts: 3
    Hi bob pls send your steps, thanks!
  • Options
    birdmanbryanbirdmanbryan Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

How did you find your buyer's agent and what was his commission?

Thanks
  • Options
    myfairdealmyfairdeal Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    What model of Lexus did you get?

Please, send us your agent's information.
    Thanks,

fairdealcanada@gmail.com
  • Options
    myfairdealmyfairdeal Member Posts: 2
    Thank you.

Best of luck with your new car!

Regards
  • Options
    albertaguy3albertaguy3 Member Posts: 1
    Can you tell me the name of the broker used in Phoenix for a RX350? Did you have to pay sales tax too in AZ? Just discovered that Lexus dealers in Phoenix say a car for Canada has to stay in the US for 100+ days!
  • Options
    seegee37seegee37 Member Posts: 2
    Our situation was a bit different - wanted a replacement for our 03 G35 and didn't want a G25. So only choice for a G37 sedan RWD auto was a US model.

Hadn't intended on buying last year but got a deal that we couldn't refuse.

So we purchased a 2010 G37 sedan blue slate/stone, 7spd, journey, premium, wood, nav, spoiler, mats, trunk mat, net, first aid kit, illuminated kick plates, splash guards, wheel locks, chrome window kit, E&G grille.

Had a module installed here that uses the HIDs for DRLs as does the Canadian version.

Registered and insured in AZ (snowbirds) we plan to cross the border around the end of February and think we have all paperwork in order.

When all is said and done the savings over buying in Canada is about $ 12,000 - would have saved more if we had driven it back when we bought it but wanted to drive it here.

Would I have bought it in Canada if the G37 was available with RWD and auto - hard to say but not likely.

Will update after we get it across with our experience.

SeeGee37
  • Options
    gindaginda Member Posts: 3
    Hisham were you able to complete your q5 purchase. Can you pls share. I am actively looking for q5. Thanks
  • Options
    Can you pls share details of your buyer agent. My email is manishjeet@gmail.com
  • Options
    Any one have recent experience of importing a new q5 audi. I am interested in one want to know dealer, buyer agent , lawyer info who can help.
  • Options
    cereal1964cereal1964 Member Posts: 2
  • Options
    cereal1964cereal1964 Member Posts: 2
    Hi there. We are looking buy a Lexus in AZ and bring in back to Calgary in April. We have been told that the vehicle needs to be registered in the USA before it can be brought into Canada. Did you come across this issue and could you provide the name of your AZ broker?

Thanks so much!