Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Looking at $2000 maintenance. Keep or sell?

jabailojabailo Member Posts: 3
edited September 2015 in Kia
2007 Spectra with 90,000 no major problems but looking at $2000 in repairs for 90,000 service + needs new tires.

Should I keep going with this car, or time for a new one?

(I bought this one used for $9000, about seven years ago with 45,000).

I don't drive to work any more, so car gets little use except for shopping, going to gym, etc.

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited September 2015
    What kind of repairs?

$2,000 is about five or six new car payments (call it six with new tires). But will you have to put more money in the Spectra in another six months? Be worth asking the mechanic for a list of all expected repairs in the next year.

Very little use? Are you in a large enough area that Uber or Zipcar would work for your errands and get the occasional rental for longer drives? That always sounds good on paper but it's nice having wheels at your immediate disposal, even if they sit for days at a time.

btw, an EX automatic is worth about $2,800 trade in, $3,900 private party sale and a dealer would sell it for around $5,200. All those numbers assume the needed repairs are done and it's in otherwise clean condition.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    stever said:

What kind of repairs?

$2,000 is about five or six new car payments (call it six with new tires). But will you have to put more money in the Spectra in another six months? Be worth asking the mechanic for a list of all expected repairs in the next year.

Very little use? Are you in a large enough area that Uber or Zipcar would work for your errands and get the occasional rental for longer drives? That always sounds good on paper but it's nice having wheels at your immediate disposal, even if they sit for days at a time.

btw, an EX automatic is worth about $2,800 trade in, $3,900 private party sale and a dealer would sell it for around $5,200. All those numbers assume the needed repairs are done and it's in otherwise clean condition.

So..it's a $3000 car that needs $2000 in repairs/maintenance?

I'd dump it for the first $1900 I could get.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Are all of those repairs REALLY needed? I think I would just do the really important stuff like maybe a timing belt.