Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Tax/fees - Buying in MA, register in DE?

thesoloistthesoloist Member Posts: 1
edited October 2015 in General
Moving to DE from MA in a month, and thinking about the idea of buying a car, load it up, and drive it down. But I need a license plate on the car...from what I read, I have to pay the 6.25% tax in MA to get a MA plate, but I can get a credit when I re-register the car in DE? or should I contact DE dmv for some kind of temporary plate? any insight is appreciated. thanks.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,336

Moving to DE from MA in a month, and thinking about the idea of buying a car, load it up, and drive it down. But I need a license plate on the car...from what I read, I have to pay the 6.25% tax in MA to get a MA plate, but I can get a credit when I re-register the car in DE? or should I contact DE dmv for some kind of temporary plate? any insight is appreciated. thanks.

If the sales taxes are lower in DE, why not wait?

I think you are on the right track by contact DE DMV and ask them about the procedures for registering a car from out of state. Not sure you can avoid the MA taxes if they are required to get the plates.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4