Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Car won't go forward

pyramus1pyramus1 Member Posts: 2
edited October 2015 in Volkswagen
Hello all, I have a 2001 VW Beetle 1.9 diesel with an automatic trans. The car would not go forward until I got the engine up to about 1800 rpm's. Then it was like doing a neutral drop, the tires would squeak, and then it would go. Once I got going the car would shift just fine. Once in awhile if I had to step on it it would slip but then down shift into gear and work fine again. Well I replaced the valve body with a re-manufactured one. Put it together with new fluid only to make the problem worse, Now I would have to get the engine up to almost 3000 rpm's to make it go. I called up the place where I got the valve body and they over nighted another valve body. We then put that one in, started the car and it went forward for about 5 blocks the started slipping to the point it wouldn't go forward. I put it in reverse and drove it back. The car goes great in reverse. So then reading more forums we came to the conclusion that perhaps the computer was having issues. I know of another Beetle that had a diesel and the numbers matched so we swapped the computer. We started the car and had the same issue. Car goes forward until it warms up. So then we replaced the ribbon cable knowing that that too can go bad. The car has 200K on it. Well, we replaced that and we still have the same issue. Go's great in reverse, but will not go forward. Also, I forgot to mention that when I took it out when it started slipping I was headed forward on a hill. The car would not go forward but when I took my foot of the gas it would roll back about 6 inches and then it would hill hold. I did this twice. Both times it felt like it wanted to go into gear but it wouldn't, but it wouldn't roll back either.

Comments

• Options
    Viperbite_9119Viperbite_9119 Member Posts: 1

I would like to know the answer to this man's question..and I see nowhere to find it..very stupid to put that man's guestions on here and not provide the any suggestions are any answers to his guestions..I joined right after reading this Man's guestions about his 2001 Volkswagen Beetle not going in any forward gears but would drive in reverse..so if I'm not looking in the right place to find any reply to his guestions then I would like to know where they are if there is any.

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185

I would like to know the answer to this man's question..and I see nowhere to find it..very stupid to put that man's guestions on here and not provide the any suggestions are any answers to his guestions..I joined right after reading this Man's guestions about his 2001 Volkswagen Beetle not going in any forward gears but would drive in reverse..so if I'm not looking in the right place to find any reply to his guestions then I would like to know where they are if there is any.

The question is from over six years ago. Evidently, none of our members had an answer for him, at that time. That's just the way it goes.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747

As kyfdx said he never got any responses. The thing is, there is no way to just know what was wrong when he was asking and whatever it was doesn't mean your car has "the same problem". The symptom may be the same but there is more than one possible cause.

If I was going to look at this the diagnostics would start with both a scan tool and a pressure gage. Has anyone attached a scan tool to the vehicle and pulled codes from every module? If so what codes were set in which module(s)?

Simultaneously has anyone tested the transmission line pressure? It should be 3.4~3.8 bar in drive (49~55psi) and 5~6 bar in reverse (72~87psi)