Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang (2005 and Newer)

Comments

• akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    No, it's $500 over invoice and the purchaser keeps the rebates. As opposed to invoice and the purchaser keeps the rebates. The dealer can't keep the rebates.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    sure they can! I've never once received a rebate from a dealer. They always have me pretty much sign them over as a down payment of sorts.

You could be right, though, and the poster's quote doesn't include the rebates. The poster should point that out and clear it up for us.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Giving you credit for them is not keeping them. You can always opt to have the mfr send you the rebate check, although I don't know why you'd want to do that.

The other way to look at it is the rebates lower the invoice price.
    well sure. But my point is that the poster's quote could already be including them, regardless of the semantics involved. Believe me, I've been through this. Most recently a few years ago at a chevy dealer. They hit me with a price, which was something like invoice minus $500. I said great, then the rebate off of that. Salesman got all confused, went back and checked, then came back, "uh, no, that's with the rebate included." Deal fell apart and we walked.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

If they said UNDER invoice then yes, I would assume they were keeping the rebate.

In either case it needs to be clarified.
  • novellnovell Member Posts: 26
    Perhaps you didnt read my post correctly, GT Auto Coupe. Why you didnt stick to the topic is beyond me. That being said I personally would drive my car for a few more months rather than pay $800 over invoice for a depreciating item.

You do realize that prices quoted to me are closer to $26K and $500 is over one month's payment for me on a 4 year loan? $500 bucks not a lot of money to you, sell me a car and after we make a deal I find to my liking, and then give me $500.

How do you know how serious I am or what the compelling event for me to puchase a car is? FYI, I am in no rush to purchase a car being I have a 2004 Accord (as well as a minivan)and have a lot of equity in it. Do I need a car no, do I want the car yes. Please think before you write, you make yourself sound not so bright, let me guess you are in your early twenties right?
  • cap232pilot1cap232pilot1 Member Posts: 20
    Let's remember something- they're are making these everyday and it takes a few dozen years or more for the " rare/ collectible status to stick.

Get the vehicle for the lowest price - Shelbys included. I like the the new stangs, but would never pay above invoice for a GT, coupe or convertible and never over MSRP for a Shelby. The Challenger and Camaro Coupe /Convertible are soon to be and with serious power and looks.

And as a retiree who grew up buying muscle cars and Vettes in the sixties and early seventies for cash , I can afford the new stuff, too -but only respect those with the smarts to walk away from over priced merchandise.Believe me , you'll live without it and something better, deal wise , will present itself.
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Hi, folks,

Since we already have a topic here for gas mileage, I've moved the posts about it there:
    Ford Mustang MPG: Real World Numbers

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• ronslakie1ronslakie1 Member Posts: 57
    Are there any other Mustang sites that anyone can recommend?

Ron
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    The Mustang Source
    All Ford Mustangs
    StangNet
    Stangs Unleashed

There are really too many to list and all are pretty good.
    Black with Red Interior. Paid under invoice the 645 rebate, took 2.9 Financing over 4 years. Kip Killmon Ford in NoVA treated me well. I am psyched!
  • kbryantkbryant Member Posts: 5
    I am to looking buy a 05/06 mustang, used(either owned personally or by a dealer). I just want a bit more info (gas mileage{the MPG thread really doesn't help}, reliability, etc.

Thanks in advance for your help! :)
    Thanks for this information, I've already picked up some good points from these sites.

Ron
    No problem. Sorry I couldn't link you to them but the forum rules here prohibit linking to other forums.
  • kbryantkbryant Member Posts: 5
    Can anyone help me? :(
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Not sure what kind of mileage info you couldn't find in the Real World Mileage topic here -- the members there have reported the mileage they're getting. As for reliability, have you checked the list of topics in the Ford Mustang discussions? You can also try entering "05" in the search box at the top of this page to find discussions about that year's model, and do the same thing for '06 models.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

I am to looking buy a 05/06 mustang, used(either owned personally or by a dealer). I just want a bit more info (gas mileage{the MPG thread really doesn't help}, reliability, etc.

I have an '06 GT and it has had zero problems to date (just over 4k miles). Gas mileage is right on par with the new EPA estimates in my experience. The new EPA estimates are 15/23 for the manual tranny and I do get 15 mpg in the city which is where I drive 95% of the time. Our city is full of steep hills so YMMV.

Hope that helps!
    You might want to try Consumer Reports. April is their annual auto issue and the CR 2005 reviews the S197 Mustang GT. As far as reliability my 8 day old Auto Mustang GT it has no squeeks or rattles yet. Says I am getting 23MPG with the cruise control set on 60. How accurate it is is the real question.
  • macatowamacatowa Member Posts: 69
    I have an 06 gt manual and with 14k miles, my avg is 21.3 mpg. I have seen numbers over 30 with 55 mph easy country driving. I drive about 50% rural and 50% freeway. No problems except I have the axle whine during tight corners, I won't do the TSB because I want the limited slip to be heavy duty not light duty. LOVE MY CAR EVEN AFTER 1 1/2 YEARS!
    I'm middle aged (retired)and thinking about a new GT convertible. My driving record is spotless, residence in a very low crime rate area(rural),the vehicle would be used for pleasure use only and garaged, and no youthful drivers. I was quoted nearly $1,600 which is low if you're a kid , but high if you are almost social security eligible. That plus depreciation make it a dumb purchase , IMO . Maybe I'm better off looking for a vintage Mustang and paying almost nothing for collector car insurance...
    Anyway, I'd be interested in hearing from NJ drivers who are close to my profile. Im looking for $500 comp./collision and 500K liability.
    Thanks !
    what company is that?
    Are you married?

Believe it or not, even my 350Z cost me no more than my Honda Accord through New Jersey Manufacturers (between $800-$900 a year).

I'm married, also have NJM (been with them 20 years), and also have an 07 Accord that costs me roughly the same. I guess they have a thing against Mustangs... told the girl it wouldn't see rain or snow and only 1500 miles a year. Go figure !
    That is really odd. That's discrimination! ;b

Thanks for the tip, though. Guess I'll have to check on that if I consider buying a used one.

• cougarjunkiecougarjunkie Member Posts: 51
    I plunked down a $1000 deposit last weekend because the dealer said he could order a 2007 Redfire for me. Now today he says it's too late to order a 2007. I'm starting to panic, because Redfire won't be available on the 2008s. I want a specific package: GT, auto, black interior, interior upgrade package, side airbags, active anti-theft, comfort package, and dark charcoal aluminum dash. It's hard to find this combination. That's why I was going to order one.

I'm wondering if I should wait to see what Dark Candy Apple Red looks like, or try for a 2007 in my second choice color--Vista Blue. That $1500 rebate is enticing, plus I can have the car now. On the other hand, if the Dark Candy Apple Red is a darker red than Redfire, then I'm willing to wait and pay the extra bucks. (I'm a sucker for dark red.)

Does anybody know how Dark Candy Apple Red compares to Redfire? A salesman told me that DCAR is darker than Redfire. Next time I talked to him he said it was lighter! What would you do if you were in my shoes?
  • mbrownembrowne Member Posts: 3
    I asked about ordering mine on 6-28, and found it was too late then. Seems like your dealer should have known when he was taking your deposit that he wouldn't be able to order for you. I'd think twice about that.

I would let another dealer know you are serious about getting a car now with the current incentives, but if you can't get what you want you'll wait for an '08. Tell them what you want, and have them search and email you the window stickers so you don't have to go in until they can get something you want. Also use the Ford Direct site and search for yourself. Then you'll know what's available and you can decide if you want to settle.

And FWIW, there was dealer cash on my '07 GT that didn't show on Edmunds.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    DCAR is slightly darker than Red Fire according to the 8.5*11 swarth sent to the dealer.

I don't think its darker enough for you to notice a difference unless you saw Redfire parked next to DCAR.

Highland Green is sharp also.

Mark.
    mbrowne,

Thanks for the quick response and advice!

mschmal,

Thanks for clearing up the color confusion. Is Highland Green a color for 2008? Various websites mention the DCAR and Vapor, but not Highland Green. btw, my name is Mark also!
    Okay, more questions. What are the advantages of HID headlights, besides being able to blind the guy that's blinding you? Aren't they just a way of driving around with your high beams on without getting a ticket? Also, do you think the HID headlights will screw up the front end look of the Mustang?

I'm also trying to decide whether to get the 17" wheels or the 18". I think the 18" look better (not the fan blades but the other one), but I don't want to wear a mouthpiece while driving due to a jarring ride. Furthemore, Consumer Reports says that there are gains and losses when plus sizing. For example, cornering ability increases, but wet pavement handling ability decreases.

Finally, now that I'm going to get a 2008, I'll lose the rebate currently offered. Should I adjust my price because of this? I was going to pay $500 over invoice for a 2007 because I'd get much more than that in the rebate. Is it kosher to go for an invoice deal if one is ordering a car?

Any thoughts?
    Proper HIDs don't blind other drivers. They have been saddled with that stereotype thanks to the poorly conceived aftermarket hack jobs.

There shouldn't be any difference in the 07 and 08 dealer discounts. If the 07 is $500 over invoice then the 08 should be the same. Ordering doesn't matter unless they have something in stock that they really want to get rid of. The difference is in the rebates.

18's shouldn't be too bad, but the only way to tell is to drive it yourself. 18" tires are more expensive than the 17" versions typically so that's something else to consider.

Proper factory HIDs have a very defined beam cutoff and give better low beam visibility. They don't blind anyone. But if they go out they're much more expensive to repair/replace.
    A vintage color made famous through Steve McQueen driving in the 1968 crime thriller "Bullitt". One of the first chase scenes in a movie showing cars at speed rather than faking it by speeding up film play back.

The Famous Chase

This means YES there will be a 2008 Bullitt Edition.
    You're right. 18" wheels are more expensive. $800 more! Seems like a lot to pay for one inch, but then I realized that when it comes to sidewall size it's only a few inches of black, so that one inch does make a difference. I think I'll get the 18s. Ride be damned. Bigger wheels just look better!

I'm glad that Mark clarified the new Red color for me. Now I can't wait to go order the 2008! Incidentally, I've been reading posts from two years ago on this site. I don't suppose that business about getting a priority number of 10 still applies, does it? I haven't heard about Ford having any problems keeping up with demand now, have you guys?

One more question. Is it true that the passenger seats aren't height adjustable unless one gets the comfort package?
    These cars are still allocated. If you have a priority of 10, you at least know you car is going to be built before the dealer's stock orders.

Mark
    Has anyone replaced the stock exhaust on their GT (05-07) with a Corsa. Is it louder than stock. I am looking at either a Corsa or Borla stinger but I've heard that the Borla may be too loud and that it has droning. I'm looking for something that is a little louder than stock.

Ron
  • dtbobdtbob Member Posts: 2
    Dark Candy Apple Red - I just saw a 2008 GT with DCAR today. I was expecting something like a dark cherry red color but it actually looks more like a dark brick red. It definitely has a slight hint of brown in it. Well, thats my impression of it anyway. You won't have any problem distinguishing it from Redfire. I was very surprised to see a 2008 in the lot since I just received my 2007 GT last week after ordering it in May.

HID Headlights - Regarding the post about whether the HID headlights "will screw up the front end look of the Mustang". I couldn't tell any difference in the external headlight appearance of the 2008 that I saw and my 2007. Is HID supposed to be standard on all 2008s? If so, the one I saw had to have them and they looked the same to me.
  • dtbobdtbob Member Posts: 2
    HID Headlights - Never mind my previous comment. I see that HID lights are optional for 2008 so the one I saw may not have had them on it.
    dtbob -

Thanks for the responses. As it just so happens, I saw a 2008 Dark Candy Apple Red over the weekend. Had to drive all the way down to Morgan Hill. I live in S.F., so it took well over an hour. It was worth the drive, though, because it disqualified DCAR as a suitable color for me.

DCAR is similar to Redfire, but has slight orangey red in it, whereas the Redfire has a smidgeon of purplish red. To me, Redfire is the better color. Since Ford isn't making any more Redfire Mustangs, and I can't find one with all the options on want anywhere in California, I'll have to go with my second choice--Vista Blue--and order a 2008.

The dealer I've been working with has agreed to $450 over invoice. Perhaps a little high to some on here, but to me it's worth it if he gives my order a priority 10.

There is only one more thing to resolve before I place my order. I've raised this issue previously, and that is the headrests. I can't stand them. They jut too far forward. What the hell was Ford thinking? Yes, I know that if you tilt the seat back then it gets rid of the jut somewhat, but tilting the seat back isn't an option for me. I have long legs, and therefore must have the seat slid all the way back, so I need the seat back straight in order to grip the steering wheel. Of course, if Ford had put a telescoping wheel in the Mustang then this wouldn't be a problem.

Here's my question for you guys, and I hope I can get an answer soon so I can go ahead and place the order for the car. Can the headrests be changed or altered, and is it legal to do so? How difficult and/or expensive would this be?

I guess I could always take a hacksaw to the steel rods that go to the headrest. (Don't laugh. I just might do it. Yeah, I know, safety and all that, but have you ever seen the seats from the first Mustangs? No headrest at all!)

Any advice you could give me would be GREATLY appreciated. I've been shopping for a car for quite a while now, and have my heart set on the Mustang GT.
    There is only one more thing to resolve before I place my order. I've raised this issue previously, and that is the headrests. I can't stand them. They jut too far forward. What the hell was Ford thinking?

If you are hit from the rear that headrest will prevent your head from snapping back as much as older headrests would thus decreasing chance of serious injury. You can raise the height to decrease the angle the rest meets your head at. Unless you're really tall that is.

I've never really paid attention enough to see if anyone is modding their headrests on the Mustang forums but I'd wager that you can find some replacements if you do a quick www search. You can customize pretty much every single part of the Mustang these days and even have several choices for each part.
    Based on the looks I thought the headrest were too forward as well, after having my 07 Mustang GT for 3 weeks now I can tell you I personally havent had any issues of uncomfort with them. I am 5'7 shorter than you I am sure. I also have seen the headrest turned (pointed) backwards in a Mustang Convertible not to long ago.
    Hey, now there's an idea! Turn it backwards! Sort of like spinning a baseball cap around. Looks cool, and solves my problem at the same time! This also lets me know that others have had the same problem. Thank you so much!

I'm 6'2", and even with the headrest lifted up it still pokes me in the head.
    No problem. What options are you going with? I was planning on purchasing Vista Blue with Dark Charcoal interior as well, but the one dealer that had one (2007) model in here in MD wouldnt cut me a good deal. I wound up with a Black exterior and Red interior.
    I also have seen the headrest turned (pointed) backwards in a Mustang Convertible not to long ago.

Are you sure you can completely remove the headrests though? I haven't tried it but the other two Ford vehicles I've owned recently allowed you to adjust the rests up and down but not remove them. One was an '05 Escape and the other is an '06 Explorer. I'm guessing the Mustang is the same.

Having said that, I think the dealer can get them out somehow or you may be able to find the steps of that process via a search too. If they can't be removed that is. ;)
    I just put in the order last night. Premium GT, Vista Blue, Dark Charcoal interior, automatic, interior upgrade with charcoal aluminum dash, comfort package, HID headlights, ambiant lighting, Triptunes, hands-free phone system, active anti-theft, 18" polished aluminum wheels, chrome exhaust tips. 6-8 weeks. I can't wait! I've wanted a musclecar / sportscar since I was in high school. I'm now 43. Talk about postponed gratification!

There was a Vista Blue V6 right outside the dealership door. It had been customized by California Concepts, and looked sweet. It had some kind of louvres over the triangle windows on the side, a Shelby type spoiler, and what looked like 19" or 20" chrome wheels. What stood out for me, though, was just the sheer beauty of the color. I don't think I've ever seen a prettier blue.

I told the dealer I wanted priority 10 on the order. He said he would try. If he comes back with a "no", then I might just have to try another dealer.

Your comment about the headrests helped me get over that final hurdle. Thanks again.
    Being 38 myself I understand the musclecar wanting. The Blue reminds me of the IROC's in the mid to late 80's. I think it is extremely sharp as well, it was my first choice. The interior can be a little dark, I added some aftermarket interior parts (satin dress up around the headlight and chrome radio knob along with chrome bezel and cover for the power mirror control). Didnt cost too much but definitely brightend the interior. I still want to do a few more interior upgrades nothing major as I have the Satin IUP on mine. Exterior wise I plan on adding chrome door handles and sequential tail lights (old school baby).

Question with respect to the triptunes what exactly does it do besides charge? FYI their is an 3.5MM input in the console between the seats, I plug my IPOD there and use it whenever I am not listening to Sirius.
    From what I recall--and I don't have an i-Pod yet so I didn't pay much attention--Triptunes has a docking station or holder for the i-Pod. It also allows you to see the i-Pod menu on the face of the stereo.
  • shotofstrait12shotofstrait12 Member Posts: 1
    I have an '07 V6 and I was wondering if anyone has any issues with the power windows?

My problem is that it appears that the "proper" resting spot of the window when completely down, has a slight amount of the window protruding above the door. On occasion, the window seems to sink deeper into the door and it kind of clunks into the door. It seems like it misses a "stop" feature maybe once every 10-15 roll downs.

Anyone experience this before??
    Many Edge owners had the same complaints about the headrests and did turn them backwards. Look for a small hole on one side of the plastic pieces that the headrest posts insert into. Raise the headrests all the way, push in a paper clip, etc. and you should be able to remove the headrests.
  • 08pony08pony Member Posts: 13
    How does the dealer allocation work for 08 Mustangs? I placed my order today but the dealer said it won't be placed with Ford until next week because that is when they they get their "allocation". He also said I will be a priority code 10 which I assume is a good thing. How are these cars allocated and how quick are they coming? Dealer claims 4-6 weeks but another dealer quoted 10 - 12 weeks. I ordered v6 with pony package.
  • smeadows1978smeadows1978 Member Posts: 10
    I've noticed the same thing with the driver's side window in my '05 V6 but have never taken it to the dealer to have it checked out. At one point the auto-up/down feature stopped working on the passenger side but by the time I took it to the shop it had magically fixed itself (and have had no problems since then).
    If you don't get a 10, the dealer is stroking you.

Also, its my understanding that the triptunes and handsfree phone require a dropship and may take extra time...can anyone confirm?

These can be installed at the dealership so you might want them off of the build if it will take more time from the factory.

Mark