Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• Options
    just__mejust__me Member Posts: 508
    Hi Mac, how are you? Through the end of August, 61,413 Avalons were sold compared to 26,330 last year. That has to tell you most people don't have the problems reported here. This car is a winner. I have close to 9,000 miles now and everything is still perfect, seats are more then comfortable even during a 13 hour trip. No hesitation of the engine. No squeaks or rattles yet. I'm perfectly satisfied and feel bad for those with problems. Only thing I had adjusted on my car was raising one of the exhausts. If interested here is the link. http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2005/09/01/141875.html
  • Options
    gypsy13gypsy13 Member Posts: 28
    It appears from Just-Me's response that numbering must begin Jan 1 each year. That leads to this question: What was the sequence number when they went over to 2006 production?
  • Options
    mellow19mellow19 Member Posts: 7
    27 year old Male with a Touring model. Black exterior with black leather....couldn't be happier with the car!
  • Options
    307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    Nothing unsual about that. An aging car that everyone knows is due to be replaced in a year usually has slow final year sales unless there are huge incentives to keep them moving off the lots.
  • Options
    captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    have had my Touring now for 5 months - this model is definitely tighter than the other trims. steering, in particular, a lot more communicative, body lean a little less but not anything close to a BMW or G35 - this is a front wheel drive car so ultimately the front end will 'plow' when pushed very hard and there is no VSC to get in the way. Actually a whole lot more fun to drive than the other trims but at a penalty of some road isolation - a tradeoff - same thing as you'll find in the TL, Maxima SE, Infintis or any other 'sports' sedans. If this is 'crunchy', wouldn't have it any other way.
  • Options
    nimiminimimi Member Posts: 249
    Regarding the sequence number, I believe that started from zero with the '05's in February and number sequentially until the next major style change. The VIN number includes the model year prior to the sequential number.

I'm curious as to how you can get your car in only 10 days. My dealer here (Pasco, WA) says that all cars are sent by rail to the regional HQ (Portland) where they are then distributed by truck to the various locations in WA, OR, ID and MT and the whole process from start to finish takes 3 weeks or so. I was told that my LTD was to start being produced "GT0905" (Georgetown, September 5th) and I could expect it by the end of the month. Did your car begin production a couple of weeks ago?
  • Options
    tmeframetmeframe Member Posts: 80
    Another issue has arisen with me Avalon. I'm hearing severe ticking noises coming from the air-conditioner vents, not very loud, but lots and very irritating. Taking it into my dealer service rep, it took his tech a couple of hours, but his tech thinks he found the problem.

From what my service rep showed me, at certain air velocities, the inner-deflectors on the vents start to vibrate back and forth, creating the ticking noise. My question here: Is anyone else experiencing this noise?

Steve
  • Options
    lntlnt Member Posts: 192
    The main reason I bought the limited was because of the seat extension on driver's side -( I have long legs) but if I had known how uncomfortable the seam and the fan(I think that is what feels like a bowling ball I'm sitting on) were going to be, I would have bought the XLS. Wish we could have the XLS seats put in the limited. I was going to have my dealer put on new leather, too, but now I won't waste his or my time since yours aren't any better.
  • Options
    fragmirefragmire Member Posts: 97
    lazarous, I heard the average owner age for the last generation of Avalon was around 55. I'm a happy 23-year-old male with a '05 Blue Mirage Metallic Limited. :)
  • Options
    What color is your avalon? Can you see the lines? I just don't like the idea of not being able to wax the paint. Seems like you would just be waxing over plastic. How is that going to effect the paint color in a few years?? Can you post a picture of your car? Since I've retired, I don't go on many long road trips, so the leather or vinyl one will be fine for the couple of trips I make a year. The dealer was going to let me have the 3M and my windows tinted for $270. Boy, I should have taken his offer!
  • Options
    rdlong47rdlong47 Member Posts: 4
    I placed a deposit on a 2006 Limited on July 29th. My salesman told me production day would be Aug 29th. On Aug 15th he called and said the production date had been moved to Aug 31st. The dealer made arrangements for a "hot drop" or something of the sorts....anyway the salesman called about 11:00am on Sept 1st and told me that the car was there. I took delivery that evening about 6:00pm. Blizzard White, everything except Nav. If sequence # is last five of the vin, my is 72844. Not sure if that is relevant!! By the way I bought mine in Ky at a dealership only 15 miles from the factory. So far so good. Took a 700 mile jaunt over Labor Day up into Amish Country (Holmes County, Oh) One tank of mixed driving ended up @ 25.7MPG and the last tank, mostly interstate was at 31.9MPG when we hit the driveway. Wife went to work and around town today and it has dropped to 28.7. Can't complain, we traded a Lincoln Aviator getting 13 on a good day!!! Coming through the hills in WVA we rounded a curve and we headed west. Sun was low, and the laser cruise kicked off and a red light came on. Once we got out of that direct low sunlight, everything was fine
  • Options
    zekeman1zekeman1 Member Posts: 422
    I have the 3M film on my blizzard white - practically invisible. Yes, you would be waxing over plastic, but it doesn't harm the film. The film protects the finish and does not allow the finish to fade or discolor like the "bra's" do which completely cover the finish. It's really great when it comes to washing bugs off, almost like a teflon finish. I would NEVER put one of the black naugahyde type bra's on my car. The dealer did offer you a GREAT price for the film and the window tint!
    zekeman1
  • Options
    Nimimi and rdlong47, thank for responding. Yes, the Avalon travels via train to Oregon and truck from there to dealerships in the NW region. The dealer in Great Falls, MT says it averages about two weeks for them. I said I expected delivery in about 10 days from now because it's already in transit. It don't know the production day, but it was scheduled for the week of August 30.

It's interesting, rdlong47, that your car was produced one or two days after mine (you are number 72844 and I'm 72509....and the 335 unit spread is about what they're producing a day, based on the August average), and yet you're driving your car already. I don't know what a "hot drop" is (although it certainly has a fascinating ring to it!). I'd like one. Living 15 miles from the factory has advantages!

Concerning unit numbering, I'm still curious to know the unit number (and date) when they shifted over to '06 production.

And a note to the Salt Lake City dealer who told my wife, with great conviction, that the '06 models wouldn't be available until next January (in order to peddle the 05s he had), THAT'S the kind of devious tactic that causes people like me to seek out more honest dealerships, like the one in Great Falls.
  • Options
    06indigoavalon06indigoavalon Member Posts: 28
    I went with the 06 instead of the 05 due to resale value. I could have gotten an 05 in the colors I wanted for $800 over invoice in Modesto, CA, but went with the 06 for $1200 over invoice in Roseville, CA. There were only 2 06 Limiteds in the colors I wanted (Indigo Ink Pearl with Graphite interior) in Central and Northern CA and since I was determined to get my color choice I was limited in where I could go. I couldn't wait for others to come in because my 99 Camry was totaled and I was getting close to the limit on the time the insurance company would pay for a rental.
  • Options
    doobredoobre Member Posts: 42
    Hi, I have the car back from the dealer at last, they replaced two rims and all four tyres and did a dynamic balance. Also they replaced the drive assembly (assume that means axles+CV's)

I can see/feel an improvement as a result of these changes, and the car is more smooth than before, at any speed.. but as far as I am concerned they have not addressed the main problem which I have and which I have tried to demonstrate to them. I don't even know if they can see/feel my problem... the passenger seat still vibrates and there is still a low frequency droning/rumble/vibration (whatever you call it) which starts about 100Kmph (that's = 60 Mph for you guys) and peaks at about 130Kmph (72Mph)

it is quite intrusive if I am playing piano or classical music at the time.

The technicain says the front passenger seat often vibrates without anyone sitting in it, even on LEXUS's..!!! and any noise/vibration I am now feeling is coming thru from the engine... and it is "normal"....

The only thing which they did not change (despite my suggestion, to which they gave a funny look) was the 'rotors', as you suggested earlier (I assume you mean brake discs) the technicain was amused by that idea...

I think I will get writing to the head office and push for more action, as this should not be happening on this type of car....

Apart from this one nagging thing the car is great...

cheers CD
  • Options
    rwb2rwb2 Member Posts: 85
    In order to compare you must have had to sit on a bowling ball for eight hours. Sounds like cruel and unusal punishment to me. Ouch ;)
  • Options
    mstemmstem Member Posts: 113
    I received a call from my contact at Toyota last evening that today (Wednesday, Sept 7th) my Silver Pine Mica Limited is to be built at Georgetown. YEE-HA! I know in the grand scheme of things this may not mean a lot to most folks but I just thought I would share with some understanding souls on this board... Thanks for listening! Mike
  • Options
    rovacoprovacop Member Posts: 2
    I picked up my new 2006 Avalon Limited four days ago. I have yet to find anything wrong with it. In fact, I am getting about 25 miles per gallon in city driving. If you test drive the Avalon, I recommend Andrea Bocelli's CD, "Sogno" for checking out the 12 speaker stereo. The sound is incredible! The only car noise I have noticed is over rough areas on the freeway. There is virtually no wind noise. I don't know how an acoustic sound deadening windshield works, but I do sense a difference. It is nice to be able to hold a conversation at a normal speaking level. If you can find a good price for a 2005, I would think you couldn't go wrong with either that or the 2006. You might need some upfront work on the car, but it would all be under warranty. Good luck with your decision.
  • Options
    jordan7jordan7 Member Posts: 77
    I have a 98 dark green avalon and have used the full black bra on all long trips many of which are from MD to FL. It is extremely easy to put on and take off and so long as you don't leave it on for more than 3 days or so, there is no problem regarding the paint even in 100 degree heat. i have been most staisfied with it and plan to buy one for my 05 Limited since they are now available from Toyota. I too do not like the idea of waxing over plastic as I like to keep a mirror finish on my cars. As long as you keep a waxed finsh, I have had no trouble getting off bugs even when driving trough parts of FL when there were many bugs. It is important not to let the bugs stay on the finish for a long time.
  • Options
    cms1528cms1528 Member Posts: 45
    The tenth number in the VIN represents the year of manufacture, the last six numbers start at 000001, with begining of the new model year.
  • Options
    Thanks cms1528, but I don't think they started with 000001 at the beginning of the new '06 model year. They can't have made 72,000 cars in the past five weeks or so.

I think they started with 000001 on Jan 1, 2005 or with the new redesigned '05 models in February, and thye're still numbering in that squence. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think there is a unit number somewhere around 58-64,000 that is the first '06 -- where they changed over from '05 to '06 and kept numbering in that sequence. I'd like to know the number of the last '05.

I know it's academic, but I'm trying to determine how many '06 models were made before mine (number 72,509).
  • Options
    I had the black naugahyde type on my 98 burgundy avalon. Used it nearly everyday because I was traveling to school on a road that had construction constantly. I took it off at least once-usually twice a week and washed and polished the car. I couldn't tell that it did anything to the paint and I didn't have nearly the number of rock chips that I had on my 2000 Avalon(BLACK). I never did buy a mask for it. It had millions of chips! Main reason I traded it in. However, I don't go out on the highway much in this car. Why would you not put the naugahyde type on yours? Don't you think the 3M on a dark color car would be very noticeable?
  • Options
    t8935xt8935x Member Posts: 6
    Going to pick up my 2006 Avalon Limited on Friday of this week... Does anyone know of any SUBSTANTIAL differences between to '05 and '06?

Also, does anyone know when TOYOTA will wake up and make BREAK-AWAY OUTSIDE MIRRORS???
  • Options
    hoop43hoop43 Member Posts: 11
    Since the calendar year is part of the VIN, I would guess that the sequence starts new at the beginning of the year, or in the case of the avalon, starts with the first production of that model of the new year. So the sequence would then start over on Jan 1, 2006. This makes more sense from a production point of view. The production people probably know at which sequence number the '06 models started. Just guessing however.

Regards

Hoop43
  • Options
    I used the "VIN Decoder" to research some of the Avalons. All 2005 and 2006 Avalons are "series 3" and all 2000-2004 Avalons are "series 2." The 2004 Avalon sequence numbers are quite high (I found one 356,879) and each preceding year's sequence numbers are lower but still in the 000,000's. This would lead me to believe that the sequence number begins with the model series (i.e., 1, 2,3), not the model year or the year of mfg. since they don't produce that many Avalons.

I also looked on the Autobase website since they conveniently list the VIN number and found that the highest numbered '05 was 61,565 and the lowest numbered '06 was 62,709 so somewhere between these two number lies the first '06 produced.
  • Options
    By looking at VIN's on Autotrader, I've narrowed the gap: the earliest 2006 sequence number I've found is 62,450 and the latest 2005 # is 62,296.
  • Options
    n0v8orn0v8or Member Posts: 169
    From Toyota's web site:

OUTLINE OF NEW AVALON FEATURES
    The following changes are made for 2006 model year.

1. 2GR-FE ENGINE
    The heated oxygen sensors are changed from the normal type to the super stability type.

2. BRAKES
    The brake control system (ABS with EBD, brake assist, TRAC and VSC) has been made available on the XL grade and the Touring grade as optional equipment.

3. ENGINE MAXIMUM OUTPUT AND TORQUE
    Maximum output and torque rating is determined by revised SAE 1349 standard.
    For details, refer to “Major Technical Specifications”.

4. EVAPORATIVE EMISSION CONTROL SYSTEM
    The EVAP (evaporative) service port provided on the ’05 models is removed from the ’06 models, in which the key-off monitor evaporative emission control system is used.
    The canister pump module performs fuel evaporative emission leakage check. This check is done approximately five hours after the engine is turned off. So service technicians may hear a sound coming from underneath the vehicle near the luggage compartment for several minutes. It does not indicate a malfunction.
  • Options
    n0v8orn0v8or Member Posts: 169
    Mirrors that break, as opposed to break-away, whan a pedestrian accidently walks into one in a parking lot, mean your friendly local Toyota Dealer gets to sell a lot more new ones at exhorbitant prices. Now, why would Toyota want to give that up?
  • Options
    donb1donb1 Member Posts: 49
    I purchased the 2005 Avalon XLS over the Acura TL because I planned on quite a few trips across PA to visit the grandchildren. I was so very close to buying the TL then decided on the comfort and ride of the Avalon for long trips. Well, this past Labor day weekend we made the first trek from Oh to NJ and back. Here are some observations from said trip:

Quiet!!!!!
    Ride was excellent!
    Seats were comfortable as all get out.
    No rattles or vibrations
    A shade over 30 MPG going east with a nice tailwind and AC on the whole way. Coming back west with a slight headwind and no AC was right at 30MPG.
    Average Speed around 70 or less (constabulary everywhere :cry: goign east average on the way back was just under 75.
    Kept it on cruise when traffice permitted.

Navigation system is still a pain in the butt to set up with the joy stick. TL nav was much easier. I set my sons address on the Nav though I know how to get there. I was surprised to learn it really did not want to travel on toll roads. While we were on 476 it kept telling us to get off and go another way though the Turnpike was clearly the fastest and shortest route. I will have to do some reading up on the Nav to see if I have to reset some defaults.

XM radio dropped the signal quite a few times during the trip east but not so on the way home. Similar weather conditions so not sure why it was different unless it was because of the ton of semis on the road going east.

All in all I was very pleased with the car and feel better about my choice every day now. Oh I almost forgot.. The toll booth attendant on the PA pike told me I was driving a really nice car ..What is it? A Toyota Avalon... COOOL was his comment as I drove off smiling.
  • Options
    donb1donb1 Member Posts: 49
    Welllll I guess it depends on your defintiion of what OLDER folks is. I am 58 and consider older folks to be about 80 now. I just got a 2005 Blue Mirage XLS in July and love it. Previous car (now my wife's) was a 2001 Acura TL. My feel young car is my 1971 TR6
  • Options
    jim250jim250 Member Posts: 23
    My '05 Limited Avalon was built in 7/05 and has serial #60,9xx. It was the last '05 Limited that dealership had. One week later I noticed they had only '06's which had build dates of 8/05. From what the dealer said I think my car was built late in 7/05 and arrived at the dealership within one week thereafter. I saw and bought it on 8-6-05 which was within 2 days of its arrival.

Jim in WI.
  • Options
    Thanks, Nimimi. With a sequence spread of only 154 cars, we have it narrowed down to a single day. Now, I wonder which day that was...
  • Options
    easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    Can you give us a quick comparison (advantage/disadvantage) of the TL vs the AV. I am having a hard time deciding which to buy and want to hear the good and the bad from someone who has experience with both vehicles. On that other board comparing the 2, few of the posters there have owned both. Would expecially like to hear about handling, comfort, and overall ride.
  • Options
    angeange Member Posts: 158
    I have the same type of noise you describe. It only shows up at high fan speed. It is intermittant. When it happens and is annoying I switch from automatic and it seems to make it go away. My noise is annoying but is livable as long as I can get out of it. Noises can manifest into mountains if don't get your mind going in another direction. ange1
  • Options
    rwb2rwb2 Member Posts: 85
    This subject has been run into the ground in this forum. The consensus is - buy a ford if you don't like the lack of fold up mirrors
  • Options
    algeealgee Member Posts: 78
    I did contact Toyota by phone and Email.

Results:

I was given a case # by each and essentially told that they are sorry that I don't like the seats and they will report it to engineering but thats it.

I'd like to know if anyone gets the XLS seats installed.
  • Options
    At a dealer this AM, was good to see 9 Avs in stock, Limiteds, XLS and 1 XL - no Tourings. The Nav equipped Limiteds were $39.6k, the XLS $36.6, XL $30.2 - these are factory stickers before dealer adds. Is it my imagination or are our prices all up close to 10%? Noticed that all Avs now dual exhaust and what are those plastic plugs now in the rear bumper of all models?
    No problems with my 2005 - having it checked out on the steering recall.
  • Options
    msavalonmsavalon Member Posts: 49
    Thanks for the heads up on the recall! I must have had my head in the sand because I didn't know of this recall. I heard of the others on TV. I called Toyota, gave them my VIN and my car was not among those recalled ;) According to my VIN my '05 LTD was the 47,825th model made - purchased June 29th. No problems at all! :shades:
  • Options
    307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    Are you adding up all the individual options and comparing to a 2005 that has ALL the same options? Prices looking that much higher than what you remember for 2005s may because the cars on the lots may have more options.

I truly doubt there was a 10% increase in MSRP. Dramatic price hikes only happen when cars were all selling out at full list price at the old price and that was not the case with 2005s.
  • Options
    regisregis Member Posts: 94
    The 2006 Avalon brochure refers to an "Oil Pressure Gauge"? I've looked everywhere and can't find this guage. Does it exist or just a mis-print? Also, the brochure refers to an "Under Cargo Area Storage Area". The only storage I find is for the tire and jack which I assume all cars have. Is there another hidden compartment somewhere?

P.S. This is my third avalon. I love this car
  • Options
    the recall reference is SSC50F and has to do with how the yoke is welded onto the steering column. Effects approx. 5000 of the 90000 Avs made, mine was purchased last April - would imagine most the others would have a similar mfgr date. The actual recall does say something about possible steering failure - check it out!
    took it in this morning, dealer had the steering column replaced in about 2 hours - apparent cost of the fix about $300.00.
    went over to the parts dept. while I was there to pick up a set of wiper blades - nobody in the dept was aware of what kind of blades are actually on the car. After some time trying to find it in the computer, came back with a total of $54.00 for both blades and they would have to order it! Anybody out there know a way around this?
  • Options
    drzellerdrzeller Member Posts: 8
    I am getting a combination of crunching/ABS sound when turning - mostly when the car is cool (but not always) and at low speeds. It also sounds a little like the sound in movies when a metal bridge is bending/breaking. The sound seems to come from the front right. It is not consistent with degree of turn or rate of acceleration, which makes me thing it is not the ABS, though I am still suspicious.

It has happened since I got the car (5K miles) but was infrequent then and I attributed it to the ABS. Now I am not so sure, and it is happening more.

Anyone have similar experiences? Any ideas?

D.
  • Options
    rtimbortimbo Member Posts: 24
    My Sirius radio kit came in yesterday and I self-installed it. It was not too difficult, took about 1½-2 hrs. I had to use the instructions for the XM installation as the Sirius directions did not come with the kit. Noticed afterwards that the kit's box instructs you to ask the Toyota dealer to download the installation manual from the Toyota Information System. The antenna included in the kit is ENORMOUS, about the size and shape of a large apple turnover. I've already ordered a much smaller antenna form Amazon.com. I temporarily mounted the turnover antenna on the rear parcel shelf. Reception is pretty good so far.

As far as activation goes, I contacted Sirius via their 800 number, told them that I had a new Toyota with Sirius installed and they said that I would get the first 3 months of service for free.
  • Options
    msavalonmsavalon Member Posts: 49
    Thanks,
    I checked it out. I went to Google and typed in Toyota Avalon recall and got a website that describe the steering problem and gave me the phone number to call. I guess since my car was purchase in June, they fixed the problem at the factory or the dealer. Again, Thanks!!!!
  • Options
    njnynjny Member Posts: 34
    What kit did you order and where did you order it from, as well as price.
    Do you have the Limited Avalon and are you integrating it with the existing Stereo?
    Thanks for the info
    LJS
  • Options
    jla1jla1 Member Posts: 6
    I was able to install an Auxilary Input Adapter successfully using the cassette deck input, now I can play my ipod or dvd player on the car, took only 20 min. to do it
  • Options
    I got it at my local circuit city store and fit 03 avalons but when you go to their web page http://www.usaspec.com/ that part # is listed for 05 also, I have a Touring with no nav. cost only 59.99
  • Options
    mellow19mellow19 Member Posts: 7
    how did you hook up the input to the tape deck?
  • Options
    YES, THE ONLY TRICK IS THAT YOU HAVE TO HAVE A FAKE CASSETTE ON SO WHEN YOU PRESS THE TAPE BUTTON ON THE RADIO CAN GET THE SIGNAL
  • Options
    willie_zwillie_z Member Posts: 8
    Easyrider300m,

I have owned 2 Acuras and now a Avalon Limited. The major difference you should consider is that I have found Acura to offer far superior service. While i am aware that this relates to the individual dealer, I have found that when speaking to each on a corporate level Acura responds in a professional manner while Toyota does not. It is truly a shame because I think the Toyota is a better car Just my 2 cents.Good luck!