Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• maryjmaryj Member Posts: 53
    My dealer has not had an XM equipped car in three weeks.

Not sure I understand your answer. I have to use a quiet FM station to receive my XM. My 88.1 goes static about 50 miles from home and I can switch to a quiet 107.1 until I run out of range, etc. :confuse: How does each have nothing to do with the other? What have I been doing wrong this past two years?

Can you give me a short answer about how the factory XM receives signals? Thanks.
  • 3puttmax3puttmax Member Posts: 119
    I have a Roady2 XM and am seriously considering XM kit for my XM ready radio.

Maryj -

The Toyota XM radio is entirely independent of the FM radio. The XM has its own antenna to receive the satellite signal, and does NOT rebroadcast onto an FM station. It is selected by cycling the AM/XM button on the JBL stereo, giving AM and 3 separate groups of 6 memorized XM stations (18 in total).

This is how it's set up with the top JBL stereo system, don't know if you have that system, or if it's available with the lesser stereos.

Max
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Have you tried using the Search This Discussion box just above the first post and just below the last one on this page?
  • dandldandl Member Posts: 57
    I remember reading in the owners manual that this sound is normal but for the life of me I cannot find the page where I read this. As I recall it is the starter...but a little help from other limited owners would be appreciated, to give you peace of mind... :) Our car makes the same noise right after you hit the start button.
  • michaelg73michaelg73 Member Posts: 5
    I just picked up a black with dark slate leather Limited with navitagation system, laser cruise control, rear spoiler and XM radio. The spoiler and XM will be installed next week at the dealer. I love the car but it has a couple of quirks. The nav system displays a disclaimer each time you start the car that you agree not to look at it when you are driving. The nav guidance voice is speed sensitive but the radio volume is not (or I haven't found it yet). The text on the radio only shows the song title and artist if you are not moving. Again, a disclaimer that text messages are not displayed for safety when driving. There appears to be no way to disable the traction control system. It seems Toyota has too many lawyers or is afraid of being sued. These are minor things but I bought them to use the way I want--not per some slimey lawyer.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Yes, they are to protect other drivers from being crashed into by people configuring the nav system and looking at song title displays while driving their Avalons.
    For added convenience, they probably should allow you to aknowledge the warning message via the steering wheel controls though.
  • zekeman1zekeman1 Member Posts: 422
    maryj - 3puttmax's answer (#10924) is right on the mark.
    zekeman1
  • 06graylimited06graylimited Member Posts: 29
    Thanks for the replies regarding "buzzing" noise. I took my 06 Limited in for it's first oil change yesterday. I mentioned the noise in question and was told it was the anti-lock brake test sequence. When I gave them my famous "your full of @&%*" look, They said they couldn't hear any sound at all. I think that while I was waiting on the car, they talked among themselves about it. When my car was done, they had the mechanic invite me back to the shop and tell me that the noise was the motor that "turns the ignition switch" since with smart key you don't twist your own key. He told me that every Toyota with smart key does the same thing. I appreciate the explanation but am not happy with the noise, it is more than subtle.
    Is this a new noise ythat didn't exist during the test drive?
  • allavalonsallavalons Member Posts: 67
    It is the steering wheel locking mechanism. ;)
    I am pretty sure that the noise started about one month after buying. In fairness, I should point out that if this is one of only two complaints I have, it is a pretty good car.
  • avalon06ltdavalon06ltd Member Posts: 1
    How did you resolve your seat issue? Am very interested because I find the total firmness so annoying. My 2000 Buick LeSabre Limited really spoiled me. Is the hardness of the seat a result of the benefit of having cooling/heating? The tradeoff is not worthwhile to me. Have you gone to the dealer with the issue? I plan to bring it up in my next visit. :confuse:
    Thanks, Max and Zekeman1. I understand now. I believe I have the real Maryj convinced that I need the integrated XM.

This is the antenna installation the dealer gives you.
    UGLY.
    I wonder if they plan to start installing the XM at the factory for 2007 models?
  • tuthmantuthman Member Posts: 15
    Thats graet about the CAI. How can you tell? It just looks like the normal setup to me. Maybe the K&N filter is all I can for now.

Thanks
    My 06 limited makes the same sound too. It seems intended, but not as refined as the lexus apparently.
    Mine came from the factory installed exactly the same way -no differece whatsoever.

As stated in numerous other postings on this site, you can move it inside the car, using a smaller and unobtrusive antenna and maintain a solid signal. For whatever reason, Toyota never looks at other XM antenna installs (Honda) to see what a class antenna looks like (color coordinated).
    zekeman1
    No, I heard the XM adapters are installed at a port after the car is built. Not in the factory while the car is being assembled. Otherwise there would be no reason to install the antenna the way they do.
  • jickajicka Member Posts: 38
    I think that you'll find that the "sound" in a smart key automobile is the steering wheel lock being disengaged when starting and engaging when the engine is shut off.
    Curious, what are "XM adapters"? Also, what is the "port"?
    zekeman1
  • baltomanbaltoman Member Posts: 43
    what is the "port"

It's a place where ships dock ! Really !

Most foreign made cars that are actually imported are prepped for the dealers at the port of entry. It started years ago when VW, etc sprayed their cars with cosmolene, etc to prevent rust from salt water/air exposure. Then this coating had to be removed upon arrival. Remember, rust resistant body metals were not used by the auto industry until approx the mid 80's. From this began the practice of adding after-market items such as radios, sun-roof wind deflectors, ad nauseum.

There are several firms that began as one man outfits that have grown to tremendous size doing this business as the sales of foreign made autos have increased.

However, the Avalon is not imported. But the add-on mentality of the the powerful distributor network remains in place. It's big bucks for them and the dealer.
  • crewchiefcrewchief Member Posts: 1
    Just for the record, age has nothing to do with it. I'm 63 but have been driving toyotas for 22 years. Having been in the aircraft industry for 45+ years I know quality when I see it. Toyota has been in the forefront of quality and a leader in technology for the automotive industry for many years. I just bought a Avalon limited FULLY LOADED. And I love it. I had owned a Lexus LS 430 until some jerk decided to run a red light and totaled our 430. So we bought the Avalon, believe me, its a LS 430 under the skin.. I've always been a technology nut as I worked on the most advanced aircraft in the world, (B-58, XB-70, F-111, F-16, F-22 and F-35) And I feel right at home with my Avalon.

Tom Murray Fort Worth, Texas
    Well said Crewchief!
    Thanks, I knew all that, just wanted to see what the "thinking" was with respect to the port. Since the Avalon is not imported, then where do the add-on's occur?? If it's not at the factory where it's built and not at the dealer where it's shipped to, who is "the port"?
    zekeman1
  • tmeframetmeframe Member Posts: 80
    Gulf States Toyota is the "port" for Avalon's coming to Texas, OK, Ar and La and a couple of more - they are the "ripoff" distributors of the product. They're the one's who add the 2nd part and the high profit 3rd segment of the tri-fold sticker which creates the $4800 profit on the sticker price for the dealer. In case it's not completely clear, I've always despised the workings and mechinations of GST. I'm not sure about other distributors.

But Toyota got them good with this model - with 4 different model lines, they're are keeping a little more of the profit @ Toyota Motors.

Steve
  • kuhlcarkuhlcar Member Posts: 1
    We bought our limited in March 2005 and this is how the dealer wanted to install the XM radio. I said No Way! I had them move it to the middle of the trunk - and it works fine!
    Apparently, some XM radios for 2006+ Avalons are now actually installed at the factory. However, if the antenna is installed on the trunk (like the picture I posted), your car was not one of them.
    Just because XM radio is listed on the window sticker doesn't mean it was actually installed inside the factory during the assembly process.
    Eventually, they will all are supposed to be installed at the factory and those would have a hidden antenna.
    Getting the XM kit from through your dealer and having them install it after-the-fact will get the antenna put on the trunk - that's the way their instructions read. But we have all found out that it works elsewhere, despite the written instructions included in the kit. Most will install where ever you want it, but a few say they have to follow the install instructions, otherwise it won't work!
    zekeman1
    When you mentioned "XM adapter", were you referring to the XM receiver in the trunk?

It's actually a Pioneer unit, part of the XM kit.
    zekeman1
  • nidalnidal Member Posts: 9
    I am intended to buy 06 ltd, after reviewing a lot of reviews i become confused ,what is the truth about Avalon. My concerns was : The Engine is quit or not, the car is quit or not, the JBL bass sound is perfect or not.
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    Why not take a thorough test drive ? You can answer some of your own question.
    The engine is silent unless you put the hammer down, the inside is lexus quiet, and the stereo is wonderful. I have owed an 06 limited for 4 months now and really started playing with the stereo the other day and it is very capable. Given a CD with a good bass note, or the radio for that matter, it can play very well. My friend bought an Acura TL same time I bought the Avalon and I remember being so impressed with the stereo in the TL. Last month I drove his TL and grabbed on of my CDs and I didn't think it was any better than what I had been listening to. Maybe its me getting used to the acoustics in my car, but it is very nice.
    By the way, you can talk in a very low voice on the freeway at 60 and be heard just fine. My wife never knows if I am stopped at a light or on the freeway while I am on the phone with her. Much different than the Accord it replaced.
  • nidalnidal Member Posts: 9
    I am in state of kuwait, dealer does'nt have Ltd for testing, beside , driving a car for few minutes does'nt give you real feeling. I am 39 , like to have a sound system not less my 2003 Honda accord EX v6 with leather. Also the honda is engine is so quiet, and i hope the avalon is same. Honda is fantastic car except it is cosedered small.
    The stereo should impress you coming from the accord. The major difference will be handling and suspension along with size and interior space. The engine is quicker and smoother than the accord IMHO. BTY, I'm 30 and I love my ltd.
    I wanted to let everyone know about a rattle I started having. It was around 7000 miles. It sounded like the sunroof was squeeking. Constant from about 10 mph on up. If I close the slider to cover the sunoof it would get quieter. If I pressed up on the cieling above the drivers head I could almost make it go away, until I removed my hand.
    I was thiking about having the dealer check it out, but I tried something that worked. While I was driving, I opened the slider and pressed on the metal piece that pops up to deflect air when open, and the squeek stopped. I was only trying to find it, but I fixed it in the process. I did this with the sunroof closed and I pressed on it in the forward direction toward the front of the car. I have not opended the sunroof since, but I have not heard anymore noise from it.

Hope someone can use that info.
  • sgchilisgchili Member Posts: 11
    Engine is quiet except you get a slight bit of noise when accelerating on the hard side. The car is very quiet - you'd be pleased. JBL Bass is good.

Remember that when you go to forums/message boards for feedback that you'll often get a lot more negative comments than positive. The positive aren't really incented to write in, but the people who are unhappy have plenty to say.

You ask what is the truth about Avalon? The majority of Avalon users say the truth is that it's a great car.
  • captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    In Houston, home for GST, it is impossible to find any Av at any dealer without the obligatory GST profit pack - at prices starting at $1700.00. On Ltds. the pack runs $2400.00 putting a loaded model at $39.9. Heavy duty profiteering to be sure - my $1300.00 on my Touring bought me a homelink mirror, a ludricruous 100k mile warranty on 30k tires, protection packages, and some mats. Am guessing maybe $300 of cost and an extra grand of profit. Supply and demand is a wonderful thing (for them) - would be interested to know if the distributors in other areas are doing the same thing - am thinking about becoming a 2 (or 3) Av family!
  • rhackrhack Member Posts: 24
    Check my post #6593 about my XM experience
  • baltomanbaltoman Member Posts: 43
    Heavy duty profiteering to be sure - my $1300.00 on my Touring bought me a homelink mirror, a ludricruous 100k mile warranty on 30k tires, protection packages, and some mats.
    . . . am thinking about becoming a 2 (or 3) Av family!

You must like being taken advantage of.

It's not a one-of-a-kind Picasso. Its a car.
  • captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    and to think, could have gone out and gotten a helluva a price on a Buick, Ford, Chrysler and a number of other 'Picassos'! Never have been able to value a car based on how much discount was available - for some reason I'm eternally wanting cars of some quality and almost always in high demand.
  • joe369joe369 Member Posts: 61
    Does anyone else have the right rear seat belt buckle/clip installed backwards? The red button/opener on the buckle faces the right side instead of the away from you (towards the left)....
    Have decided to get the XM kit for my 05 Avalon. Price, installed, is $299.00. Only thing that concerns me is the size of the antenna. My dealer says the newer 06's, with factory installed XMs, use the small antenna and mount it on the shelf behind the rear seats. I have not seen this and the dealer doesn't know what's in the kit but I definitely do not want one of those turtles on my trunk. The part # is PT546-07050. Where can I research this part number that might show the antenna along with the other parts? Thanks.
    Just type the part number in Google and in this forum search.
  • 3puttmax3puttmax Member Posts: 119
    Maryj -

You should have the dealer agree, up front, to install a small antenna if the kit comes with a big antenna, which it may, and install it where you want. If he won't agree to do that, then just buy the kit, without installation. Then have it installed at a stereo shop, where they can get the smaller antenna if necessary, and install it wherever you want it. May end up costing more, but you'll at least get what you want.

The Terk XMICRO antenna can be had for around $24 on the internet. You may also need a "dual to single splitter" to make all the connections.

Good luck - enjoy your XM.

Max
  • rsblaskirsblaski Member Posts: 68
    Maryj,
    can you tell me where you are located and what dealer offered you that price? It is a LOT cheaper than the price I can get at my dealer.
    If you are anywhere in the southwest, I might be willing to take a drive for that kind of deal. I've been known to travel a good distance if I can save substantial money. Besides, being retired, I'm always happy to mix in a little sightseeing. :)
    Maryj - listen to 3puttmax. Believe he posted pictures of his installation which caused me to do exactly the same thing - works perfect.
    zekeman1
    Only reason I am getting it that cheap is that I am a personal friend of the Service Manager. It was going to be a lot more before he got involved. Live in East Tenn.
  • stlmostlmo Member Posts: 40
    Capt2, the Avs I have seen on the lots in eastern MO do not contain these types of packages and it might be that way in most of the midwest(although some dealers do add pin stripes, paint protection, etc. to increase their profits). You might try that Toyota dealer in Hutchinson, KS that has been mentioned a number of times in prior posts.
    Having purchased 3 Toyota's from the dealer in Salina, Kansas, I know for a fact that the profit pack you describe isn't installed in this region. Pretty much individual options are on the car. On my 3 cars, there was no such thing as the pinstripes, wheel trim & floor mat "deal."
    zekeman1
  • algeealgee Member Posts: 78
    Not being one of the so-called majority (although I'd like to see the statistics), I find the car very noisy. I have 6000 miles and had a 2002 xls before this 2006 LTD.

The road noise is terrible except on the most new of roads.
    The wind noise is worse than the XLS
    The engine has been assumed as a diesel by several family members when I first showed them the car.

The engine is powerful but very noisy on a hard acceleration and not quite as noisy when idling.
    This has gotten worse over time. Dealer says its normal.

The NAV system is next to useless because of unnecessary complications.

The XM system works well but the display on the screen only shows the first 10 characters of the title or artist????.

The JBL system is pretty good but the bass is not handled very well. It becomes very boomy at the mid level and lower bass frequencies.

The seats are very bad and hard. Back ache special on long trips. I am a 230lb 5'10 guy and I can't stand the seats in front. All of the people who ride in the car says the leather is a cheap hard version.

I have driven a new Buick Lucerne cxl and it is far quieter and smoother riding. I am planning to sell the Avalon as soon as Buick has a NAV system available.