Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    "Sound familiar?"

Actually no. I haven't read anyone saying the engine revved but the car didn't move. What has been typically described with the Toyota/Lexus 3.3 liter engine is a 1/2-1 sec delay before the downshift occurs and acceleration begins. My 2000 Olds had as much delay as my '05 Camry but less than our '04 Highlander.
  • rick14rick14 Member Posts: 1
    I am wondering how many Avalon owners have registered these complaints on the Toyota website which is accessible only by owners. if so, do any of you get any meaningful responses about problems?
    My observation has been that complaints in these types of discussion usually have a pretty sound basis in fact, even if problems show up on relatively small percentage of cars. i read 2 comments about Lucerne seat heaters and then saw the same problem in the Edmunds Full Test Drive report.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Why don't we take the rattles, transmission hesitation, etc., issues to a separate discussion and let the good folks who are not having problems talk about their car without having to deal with some of what's going on here.

Toyota Avalon Quality Control Issues
  • captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    and you are absolutley right, likely the majority of all new cars these days do have some sort of tranny idiosycransies - VW's 'Tiptronic' is much advertised and turns out to be a bear to live with. All somewhat common problems, especially with DBW.
    That said, there are some mfgrs. out there (eg Honda, Nissan, and BMW) that seem to handle the 'programming' better. Shouldn't we expect Toyota to handle the problem at least as well as these mfgrs and certainly be that much better than FoMoCo?
    Let's call off the posts about hesitation issues and what Toyota should do about it here and take it to the discussion I just linked. It's time to separate these issues from the cars that don't have them.

Thanks.
  • melbcmelbc Member Posts: 31
    I will definately try it butI have to tell you...the reason I took it to this thread in the first place was because I really need help and this tends to be the only thread anyone reads that is specifically for 2005 plus Avalons.

I am not complaining about the car. If I had to do it again I would absolutely by another Avalon. If I didn't like it I can assure you I would find a way to make them take it back. But I am confident Toyota will figure it out eventually. I just need help from others that have had the same rattles as my dealership actually has never heard of this site and they said they will read any suggestions I give them.

I totally understand that people might be frustrated by someone having a rattle problem and having to read about it, when they don't have any problems, but if you have noticed I always say I still love my car despite the problems I am having.I am not bad mouthing the car or trying to bring anyone down.

I really hope that I will get the same helpful suggestions on the other threads, when I take my difficulties elsewhere. Sorry.

MelBC
    What we are doing is creating a discussion where you can get exactly what you are looking for from the others who are having the same issues. We just need to get it off the ground. :)
  • endovitendovit Member Posts: 31
    Even with the issues at hand, still the best car I've ever purchased and to catch up with some of the other posts, I just turned 50.

Seems like some dealers react to uncorrectable problems by putting off the owner. I wouldn't blame Toyota for that. Find a different dealer that makes "service" what it should be. He's the one in this for the long run. Keep in mind that everyone wants to make a perfect car so there are no warranty items and their future is secure, but name one such item.... I'm at a loss for what that would be. Also keep in mind that everyone is in business because they make money. All businesses decide what they will pursue and what they won't. If they don't voluntarily recall, how will that effect their future? Those are all decisions/gambles the gentlemen at the top of Toyota make. I'm sure they are aware of all the issues. A smart company (of which Toyota is in the group) fixes the issue first on the production line. They try to keep the complaint group as small as possible, thus securing their future.

I'm in this forum because a great many of you have had the car longer than I and most of you certainly are smarter than I at finding issues etc.... I found my loose fog lights by reading about them here. Sure enough - mine are loose. Other issues that I skipped over in the manual came out loud and clear in this forum. Great job by all.

Now - If I could just find those Bosch Aerotwin wiper blade refills........
  • tkevinc1tkevinc1 Member Posts: 30
    It appears that earlier I spoke too soon about Toyotas anticipated positive response to my issues outlined in the Automotive News. They have had my car basically a week now with no answer on what is wrong. They started by talking replacement or buyback. Now they are supposedly in the process of fully replacing the bottom end of the engine (in response to the loud knocking) without a positive notion of what is causing the problem. I think they are playing a game with me. This is just a way for them to get the engine to their engineers and figure out what is going on without having to put out anything. This still does not address the transmission issue and does not guarantee a fix on the engine. What if the valve train is what caused the issue with the bottom end? The fact that there is acknowledgement of a major problem necessitating replacement of the engine should let everyone on this forum know that if they are having this same knocking noise, it is NOT normal.
  • wrx03manwrx03man Member Posts: 5
    Last month I traded in my '99 Sienna w/ 130k+ on it for a 2005 leftover Avalon XLS. I'm 6'6" and drive A LOT (4000 miles on the car now) and so far this car has been flawless. I looked at the Acura TL, the new Camry and some others and this car simply can't be beat for the features, size, mileage (30+ hwy) and drivetrain.

I look forward to tens of thousands of trouble free miles from this car.

Thanks for all the input, I look forward to being a regular contributor.
    tkevince1 - sorry to hear that your engine has problems and it sure sounds like Toyota is planning on fixing the thing if they are going to the trouble of replacing sound rod and crank bearings. Something wrong down there, your noises would likely be a whole lot different (louder and deeper in tone)different than with a few folks that have noticed some additional valve train noise (more like a clicking that should 'disappear' as the engine warms). And yes, it is entirely possible that the mechanics will 'get in' to your engine without knowing precisely what the problem is before they do. And also conceivable that if they don't find the problem that they may end up short or long blocking an engine replacement, and may never know what caused it.
    The 2GR Toyota engine is much more mechanically complicated than the engines that preceded it and, as a result, much more powerful. It is also the first really high performance engine that Toyota has done in many years. Chain driven, dual overhead cams all with VVT will, by definition, be a 'noisier' set up than the old belt driven non-variable cams in the 3.0 and the 3.3. TMK there have been no major issues with either this engine or, for that matter, with the transmission in terms of mechanical failures. The engine easily the best part of the whole car and it is well on its way to becoming one of the most popular V6s on the planet - as it is now found in several Toyota and Lexus models. Hope that they find whatever is causing your particular problem but sure doesn't sound like anything endemic to the engine itself.
  • billygbillyg Member Posts: 29
    So this becomes a "Feel Good" forum and the other becomes a "Complaint Forum". You lose the ability to weigh the pros and cons.

You are going to end up with posts that "preach to the choir"

So what if you get repeat types of posts? It seems that SOME who are high on the Avalon get their egos rubbed the wrong way if there are miltiple negative comments.
  • gerry100gerry100 Member Posts: 100
    Turned in the '03 and picked up the '06 XL today.

Truly a japanese Caddy - and that's a good thing.

I'll have to get used to all of these new doors and buttons in the interior and wonder what was wrong with the straight front and back shifter.

Short ride home was great,experinced none of the problems reported here in the epicenter of automotive hypochondria.

But I've got a 500+ miler tommorrow and will report back
    You know............that is just wrong! I can assure you that I have better things to do with my life than run back and forth to the dealership with my 'imagined' problems. I also had the perfect '06 XLS for about a week and then the rattles showed up. While I absolutely continue to love the car I am constantly rescheduling my life around appointments and the annoyance of wondering whether my car has finally been rid of it's rattles or not. It would be nice if there could be a little respect shown for those of us (yes I know we are a miniscule bunch) who are dependent on the experiences of others to get their problems solved. I for one do not have the luxury of going to another dealership as it is an hour away. And the dealership here is sympathetic to the problems my car is having and they really want them solved. I like them.

I really really resent the implication that I and others on this thread may be 'automotive hypochondriacs.'
    Please...until you have walked in my shoes you have no idea how frustrating it can be. And before I get a lecture on how there are other things in life that are more important..........forget it, that would take a book.. believe me I have plenty of other things that are more frustrating but comments like yours just make these other ones alot worse.

MelBC
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,918
    No doubt I have said before the new 3.5 is definetly louder than the 3.0 in earlier Avalons. However, the 3.0L in the 2000 - 2004 Avalons was VVT.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• bluesman3bluesman3 Member Posts: 202
    One local dealer just confirmed that the new 6 speed transmission was a "definite" change for 2007. Also possibly an 18 inch wheel.
    npoise difference has more to do with using real timing chains as opposed to silly belts.
    gerry- a short ride home certainly way too early to be making judgements on the car or the many of us that have owned the car for a year or more and 20k+ miles.
    Would agree with one inference, however, that you make - anybody who spends some time on these forums is a certifiable car nut and likely more 'picky' about any number of things about our cars. For 30 or 40 grand, do we not have that right?
    And further, understanding that there are about 120,000 Avs now out on the road; those of us that do relay experiences about the car are an extremely small percentage of that total. And we also tend to be those that are trying to find solutions to problems as opposed to those that are happy with their cars. I'm confident that if you could poll all 120000 05/06 Avalon purchasers about the infamous tranny hesitation, 90% of them wouldn't know what the hell you were talking about and of the 10000 or so that do know what it is, 90% of them don't find it objectionable! Which leaves about 1000 or so, that are searching for real solutions to a problem - perceived or not it, makes no difference.
    Human nature - it is sometimes easier to say something bad...
  • gerry100gerry100 Member Posts: 100
    Did 550 plus miles today ( started at 5am),

Car ran solid and quiet, goes like hell and got 29mpg while cruising with traffic at 75+ mph. Truly a big step up froim the '03.

Didn't notice any hesitation at all.The stock suspension while comfortable does not support the power preventing the car from being a true fast tourer. It's too bad one can't order the touring suspension without all of the ususless and expensive bling.

All in all, nice job by Toyota.
  • avvyavvy Member Posts: 9
    Thanks to all who replied to my Oct/2005, questions.

As some may already know, I have 2006 LTD. I've learned to love most things about car, but still find the Nav. use, complicated. I've given up, don't even try to use it.

Does anyone know if 2007, will have a system like ONSTAR? That is such an important thing to have. Or if there is an alternative? We do a lot of out of state driving.

What bothers me now, is how can a passenger stop the vehicle if the driver has a heart attack while driving?

The console prevents the passenger from reaching brake. I now wonder if buckets seats and floor console, was ever a good idea, other than serving a sporty look. Thanks
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,918
    I never understood OnStar. With cell phones today, why is it needed. You have Navigation if you get lost and if there is an emergency use the cell phone. I may be wrong here but if the cell phone is out of range OnStar probably wouldn't work either.

As for stopping the car the passenger could at least take the shifter and downshift, that would at least slow the car down enough to avoid the worst.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• rsblaskirsblaski Member Posts: 68
    I've never had any interest in getting ON-Star, but some of its features are valuable, especially its ability to send location information to the "home office" when the air bags are deployed and the occupants may be unconscious. Another feature for those who don't have the Smart Key option such as on the Limited, is the ability of the "home office" to remotely unlock your doors in the case of a lockout.
    I may be mistaken, but I also believe the On-Star system is a satellite based communication so it would not matter if you were in a cell phone dead spot if you needed assistance.
    OnStar is a gimmick intended to enhance the profit margins at General Motors.....

How many occurances do you intend to have with air bag depoyment while you're unconscious? Most anyone who would witness you in that condition would have a cell phone and can call for help.

A hidden key is really a good idea and you don't have a monthly fee for it.

I say buy it if it makes a person feel better but count me out.
  • netwonnetwon Member Posts: 53
    rsblaski,

Hello there. On-Star uses onboard Cell technology. The following URL explains how the system works. On-Star Technology It does how ever RECIEVE signals from a GPS satellite to figure out its position. Howstuffworks.com goes on to say the origial cars in 96 has analogue only cell technology, current models are offer analogue and digital serviceand that future models from 2010 onwards are to be digital only.

Hope that helpes,

Ryan
    I had the same opinion re the navigation when I first tried it! I am really stubborn and I was determined I was going to find the address I was looking for using only the navigation feature. 2 hours later I had to give up..something I rarely do. The next day I started early in the day and worked on locating the same address. Got it to work almost immediatly and it is truly an amazing feature once you figure it out. I use it all the time now. I think the only way you will figure it out is to force yourself to use it. Trial and error I guess. I am the worst candidate for things like this but if you really have the will to use it you will figure it out. If I can figure it out, anyone can!

MelBC
  • lgigantelgigante Member Posts: 34
    I have an 05 Limited and am COMPLETELY satisfied. Whatever might not be perfect is not worth yapping about. I'd buy another in a minute.
  • gohawaiiangohawaiian Member Posts: 84
    Are there any easy-to-spot visual clues to distinguish the '06 from the '05 Avalon? If not, how unusual is this? Don't auto makers usually want to make at least slight cosmetic changes annually in order to keep the older model distinguishable from the newer model, for marketing purposes, resale value, etc? Does the similarity hurt buyers of the '06 model, and perhaps add extra resale value to the '05 model?
    There weren't any changes from 05' to 06' that you'd see, primarily a few more options were offered on the 06' Touring model but that was it for changes.

Year to year similarity doesn't hurt, car makers have been doing it that way for 25+ years....
  • havalongavalonhavalongavalon Member Posts: 460
    A pair of pictures on the cover of German magazine Autobild show what the next BMW M5 might look like. "Codenamed F10, the next M5 appears to take some styling cues from the 3-Series, especially up front with those edgy headlights that flow around the hood and up the fenders. The vehicle's posterior is a little harder to pin down, with taillights that lean forward like those on the Toyota Avalon."

link title

OK. Maybe. But I like the Av's taillights better,

Havalongavalon
  • dandydon2dandydon2 Member Posts: 77
    Edmunds.com notes that the following is new for the 2006 Avalon, none of which shows up visually. My guess is that it will be pretty much the same story for the 2007 model; new tranny and little else. Should tend to keep resale values high.

"The availability of stability control has been expanded to include the XL and Touring trim levels. Keyless startup is now standard, rather than optional, on the Limited."
  • lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    I would add to the likely changes for 2007: mp3 and bluetooth capability to the audio system.
  • mcclearyflmcclearyfl Member Posts: 149
    My leased Saab gave me one year of "free" Onstar. I never once pressed the button to activate it. In these days of cell phones, NAV equipment and AAA, Onstar seems an expensive solution to very esoteric problems.
  • bperrymanbperryman Member Posts: 15
    I have had that problem since purchase. They found one and took it out and immediately there was another one. Every time I take it in they swear they cannot find it. Driving me nuts.
  • algeealgee Member Posts: 78
    Some are happy with mediocrity and others strive for perfection. Still others want what they paid for to work correctly.
    If the car was like buying appliances,you would have the right to return it within 30 days. With cars you have no rights and the car manufacturer determines what is right after you buy the car. If you complain he says it is within normal operating parameters. Auto transmissions hesitates, its normal, engine sounds like a diesel, its normal, Nav system almost useless, its normal etc ad naseum. (purposely misused /misspelled for the sake of mediocrity ) :-)
  • gladiator99gladiator99 Member Posts: 104
    Keep in mind that the restyled 05 Avalon was introduced in March/April 05. It could or should have been labelled an 06 Avalon. Because of this late introduction, Toyota was unlikely to make any significant changes to the car. Also as the sales of this new Avalon were very good, Toyota probably decided to continue with the same car and enjoy continued success. The buyers of the 05 would have had more decreciation than normal if we had decided to trade for a new 06 in Sept. Although in reality our cars were only 6 months old at the time the 06 Avalons hit the showrooms. As I will probably keep my Avalon for at least another year, I wasn't concerned about the depreciation.
    Yes, I still love the Avalon, but I would like to see Toyota offer more flexible pricing as the U.S. Dealers do.
    Take Care!!
  • billybob8billybob8 Member Posts: 7
    Sorry to read that your experience has been less than satisfactory. Our 2006 XLS has been flawless, as was the 2000 XLS we traded in last November.
    I genuinely believe our experiences are more the norm, and those you have are the exception.
    I can understand your frustration, but is it necessary for all that cynicism which seems to know no bounds?? It really doesn't do anyone any good.
  • peterfosspeterfoss Member Posts: 1
    I am into the 11th month (and 15K miles) with my 2005 Avalon-XLS and absolutely love the car. It has been flawless in every way. Fast as hell and as silent as a tomb.
  • oregonoregon Member Posts: 9
    In the Owners Manual for my new 2006 Avalon it states the car can run on regular unleaded 87 octane, but for "improved performance" use premium 91 octane or better. What are most Avalon owners using with the 268HP V-6 engine? I'm thinking middle ground and using 89 octane to make the engine and myself and my wallet happy. :)
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A national finance magazine is looking to interview consumers who purchased a Toyota Avalon and have been frustrated with the problems of the vehicle. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Thursday, May 25, 2006 by 5:00 PM PST/8:00 PM EST containing your daytime contact information and the year of your Avalon.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
    After initial tests with other grades, I quickly settled on 87 octane and remain very happy with performance after 15 months. I also have the feeling that most Avalon owners probably just use 87 octane. One way to look at it is:

87 octane --> 268 HP
    91 octane --> 280 HP

So you may get an extra 3% in performance with 91 octane. Here, you pay over 10% more for 91 octane, much more than the HP improvement. And the price difference is usually greater between 87 and 89 than between 89 and 91 octane.

Personally, I often have difficulty reining in my 268 available horses, and with just 268 I'm still first-off-the-gate whenever I want. Like peterfoss in post #12434 and many posters before, I'm really satisfied with the Avalon performance. And there have been no convincing reports that higher octane yields better gas mileage. So I prefer to save the price differential between 87 and higher grades.
  • dan41dan41 Member Posts: 182
    "I can understand your frustration, but is it necessary for all that cynicism which seems to know no bounds?? It really doesn't do anyone any good."

Comments, such as the one you posted, are exactly the type of "cynicism" that does not facilitate the type of open and honest discussions we, as forum members, should expect. Perhaps the Host should change the thread to "Only those that have positive experiences and want to praise their purchase are allowed to post". How absurd! There are times that I think this is a "feel good only forum" - No others need to participate. Members should be encouraged to post their experiences - either positive and negative. We all learn from these discussions!

For those that don't want to hear (and learn) from both sides are doing this, and for that matter, any user forum a great disservice. Overall, I like my Avalon. Have I had more problems that I expected? YES! As someone that has purchased several new Toyota's, am I disappointed with the quality on MY new Avalon? YES! Are the issues I've experienced with my Limited the "norm"? Probably not. However, does that mean that those of us who have experienced these issues bury our heads in the sand? My experiences have not lived up to the Toyota quality - and expectations - that I've had with my Celica, Solara and Lexus. Perhaps you and Toyota would like that, but no one ( except Toyota ) would benefit.

Lets keep an open mind about all of our exerpiences - both positive and, if allowed, not so positive.

dan
  • oregonoregon Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for the info havalongavalon. I'll go with the 87 as long as I don't get any pinging under power. I hate that engine noise!
  • niteoneniteone Member Posts: 41
    dan41,

very good post....my thoughts exactly.
    thanks.
  • 06avalonxl06avalonxl Member Posts: 7
    I use 87 octane. The car has lots of power and doesn't knock. I doubt that most people would notice improved performance from 91 octane gas in normal driving since the power increase would only be a few percent.

If a car needs higher octane gas you'll probably notice knocking when driving up hills with the car heavily loaded. I've driven the Avalon up steep hills with the car loaded and never noticed any knocking when using 87 octane gas.
  • dan41dan41 Member Posts: 182
    Once the price for premium gas hit $3, I switched to 87 octane. So far, I've gone through several tanks and I'm averaging 23 combined and getting 30 mpg on the highway. For now, I'll stick with 87. Perhaps it's my way of rebelling against the insanity of what has been happening with the price of gas.
  • hutch34hutch34 Member Posts: 34
    For those that might be interested, an aftermarket grille is now available for the 05/06 Avalon.

I recently purchased a Precision Billet Grille from Auto Anything. The cost was $129.00

The grille was very easy to install and it fit perfectly!

Although, I love my 05 LTD, I never really liked the grille. I prefer a grille that looks like a grille. This billet grille is exactly what I think a grille should be. It changes the character of the car!!

If interested, go to auto anything and look up grilles for an 06 Avalon. It is not listed for an 05 but it fits perfectly. :):blush: :shades:
    I think the audio conversation is a great one - let's have it here: Toyota Avalon: Let's Talk Audio!

I moved the recent thread of posts there - come on over!
    hutch, thanks for sharing this find. Unfortunately the website shows the grille on a different car (Dodge?) and the resolution is poor, so it's not clear how it would look on the Avalon. Any chance that you could post a photo of your own car with the new grille? I'd bet others here might like to see it, too.

havalongavalon
  • wabbit1wabbit1 Member Posts: 4
    Check and see if the seat belt turned somewhat askew when it retracted with the metal clip touching the hard vinyl between the front and back seats on the side of the car. As you drive, the empty seat shakes when you drive over rough spots in the road, causing the metal clip to vibrate against the hard vinyl causing the rattling noise. Just straighten out the seat belt so that the clip lies flat along the belt, not touching the side, and the rattling will stop. This happens frequently and is an annoyance.
  • wabbit1wabbit1 Member Posts: 4
    So THAT'S what that funny noise is! Thanks for solving a mystery. It doesn't happen every time, and of course every time I take it in for service and ask them to check, it doesn't do it! Did the regeional tech reveal anything?