Options

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• Options
    hutch34hutch34 Member Posts: 34
    This is my first post. I have been reading this forum for the past several days. I have been encouraged by what I've read. I have ordered a White Limited with all the bells and whistles contingent on a successful test drive. I was so impressed with the one Limited the dealer had on the showroom that I ordered one without taking a test drive. I can get my deposit back if I'm now satisfied with the test drive. My car had a build date of 2/21. I hope it is on a transport at this moment. I will be trading a 2003 Acura MDX. It's a beautiful machine but it has become hard for my wife to get into. I considered both the Acura TL and RL. Both seemed crowded, especially in the rear seat and the RL was just too expensive. The Avalon had two features that I especially liked, the extendable driver's seat cushion and the laser controlled cruise control. BTW I'm 71!! I still love cars!!
  • Options
    clipper1clipper1 Member Posts: 70
    Never bothered to ask the dealer when ordering .... However, what does the 'book' say about which gas to use in the '05 Avalon?

Regular I hope.
  • Options
    autoguy1autoguy1 Member Posts: 87
    I think nearly if not all Toyota V6s recommends Premium. However, Regular is needed at a bit of reduced performance.

Maybe Avalon's V6 on regular would be 270HP with 250 lb-Ft torque.

Just a guess on that, though.
  • Options
    wuzfuzwuzfuz Member Posts: 12
    Mackabee,
    No, I didn't get your email regarding my question about body side moldings. I believe they are needed; but, I know of no offering.
  • Options
    cc12wittcc12witt Member Posts: 8
    I haven't bought a Limited model yet, but I've offered, for one with nav. system, XM radio, wheel locks, anti-skid system and mats, and EXCLUDING any dealer prep charge or phony "processing" fee, $33,320 PLUS tax, which, like death, we simply can neither avoid nor negotiate. Dealer countered with $34,446,which I refused. He has my phone number,and he WILL call, just like he did last time! My offer included the $670.00 Manufacturer's "hold-back" which dealers would like us to believe doesn't exist, PLUS a 2% profit on invoice,which amounts to another $590.00. That's enough profit for anyone, in all fairness!
  • Options
    psypsy Member Posts: 122
    just me...

As a hole Tulsa seems to be over priced alot on cars and motorcycles. You want a new Harley dont buy it in Tulsa. Go to OKC, Ft. Smith, Dallas. Min. 2k cheaper no problem. I kinda think its the old oil money mentality myself :) and impulse buying they seem to count on. Now I havent checked much into pricing on the new Avalon and I will check into it deeper this summer if the car stays on the top of my list. But you can take a Honda Accord. Tulsa dealers will stop at nothing to try and get 29k out of you for a sedan with navi. Dealer in Bartlesville 50 miles north of Tulsa is flat out up front with you 26.8k delivered in your drive way for the same car. A Acura dealer in OKC is much the same way. You tell them what you want they shoot you a good price off the bat and move on. Say a TSX w/o navi 25.6k done deal in your drive way. The Infinity dealer in Tulsa shot me a fair price on the cuff on a G35,, well fair for Tulsa. Pick your car and they knock 2k off sticker and sticker follows corporate msrp. Are these examples of best deals? I think not, but fair, they do appear to be. As for some of Toyotas fees like the hold back, advert. fee and some of there other games.. I will not play!!! Advert. is there burden not MINE,,, and Ive seen these stupid prossesing fees in the past.. that wont be paied either. Im in sales. I sell boilers, pumps, chillers and controls. If I tried to throw fees like that on cust. I wouldnt sell anything. So if Toyota wants to play games I will not own what I belive to be a very good car. ( shrug ) And that will be a shame, but we will see as the hupla settels down on this car over the summer. As for American cars,,, I will never own another. I would prefer to not even have a car built in the USA. But Honda and Toyota seem to hold a high quality line. I havent bought a ford, gm or mopar since 1980 that the paint has stayed on. Have literly had parts fall off them going down the road. Im done with them period. Whens the last time you saw paint falling off a Accord, Camery or Nissian product? i look forward to reading more on this wonderful new Avalon.

psy
  • Options
    ederzawiecederzawiec Member Posts: 61
    Dealers in my area have gotten a few XLS and Limiteds, but no Touring or XL models. Anyone seeing any XL models. I've ruled out the XLS and Limited due to head room constraints.
  • Options
    mickeyb1mickeyb1 Member Posts: 4
    Just me: I wasn't very clear with my comment about the 2005 Limited front seat movement. Unlike our 2003 XLS, the 2005 LTD's front "passenger" seat doesn't go up/down. Not a big problem for us as my "tall" husband does most of the driving on trips.--mickey
  • Options
    just__mejust__me Member Posts: 508
    Mickey, my seat does go up and down, that's what I tried to explain to you. Reread my post and see if you follow what I said, I believe you will see it does go up and down. If your not sure let the Dealer show you how it workds or call 1-800-Go-Toyota. They CAN HELP YOU.Good Luck,
  • Options
    PSY, I don't know how far Dallas is from Tulsa, but read post 1914 and copy and print it and show it to your Toyota Tulsa Dealer, or drive to Dalls if the internet Manager makes it worthwhile. I wish you good luck my friend.
  • Options
    pmcb48pmcb48 Member Posts: 192
    cc12witt--You might want to review post #1837 by Mackabee where he explains holdback and wholesale financial reserve. You can't include either in your offer as dealer profit, since they're paid in by the dealer when he/she purchases the vehicle but returned to the dealer after the sale to the customer (assuming sale in less than 90 days from dealer purchase). So they pass through the deal and cancel out. The net invoice price therefore shouldn't include them, and you can make your offer from there.
  • Options
    maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    I have seen at least one XL model here in the SE region of Greenville/Anderson, SC.

To me, the XL represents a SOLID value because it gives you most of the features of the top models (dual-zone climate control, rear reclining seats, and power driver's seat) and it does have alloy wheels.

It my area, even the XL is fitted with leather (SE regional thing) but the dash and "silver" trim used throughout is VERY nice and looks better than what you might expect for a base model.

The alloy wheels remind me somewhat of the Alloys used on the 2000-02 Avalon XLS and 2003-04 XL rims...they look VERY similar.

I think the XL is a pretty nice value, but if I were to get one, I'd have to go with the XLS or Touring (Once heated seats are avaiable)

I can't beleive that Toyota does NOT offer heated seats for the Touring model, yet you can get them on the Camry XLE/SE models?!?!

Crazy I must say
  • Options
    douglas1douglas1 Member Posts: 130
    Just got my April issue of Motor Trend. They have a very nice review of the Avalon Limited, lots of nice things to say about it.
  • Options
    just me

Dallas is about 3.5 hours straight south of my house. HWY 75 is about 1 mile from here. Turn right and you run into Dallas. lolololol.. Im not ready at this time to purchase. And Ive never purchased a 1st years production of any new car. The Avalon could be the exception tho. I will be in a better position to purchase come summer time. I look forward to hearing how others like there cars being bought right now.

psy
  • Options
    bperrymanbperryman Member Posts: 15
    I just bought a Limited from Rick Simpson at Freeman Toyota in Hurst, Texas over the internet. I hate buying cars and kept expecting something to cause me to walk away but everything turned out just as Rick promised. I got a fair deal and I would recommend Rick if you are having trouble getting a fair price.

Question for the board-should I consider the extended warranty? I drove my 1996 Avalon 177,000 miles and plan to keep this one at least 100,000. Thanks for your help. This board has been invaluable in preparing to buy my new Avalon.
  • Options
    merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    Apparently, you can't get an Avalon equiped this way anymore. Are many here bothered by that? I think it lends a much airer feel to the interior..
  • Options
    mickeyb1mickeyb1 Member Posts: 4
    JustMe: Our 2005 Limited is limited in that the passenger's side seat does not go up/down. Did they put the wrong seat in our car? Can one of the dealers on this forum verify if the passenger seat is supposed to go up/down? Our front passenger seat goes forward/backward and the back tilts forward/backward--that's it. We traded in a 2003 Avalon XLS and the passenger seat went up/down like yours, JustMe.

I'm almost thinking they put the wrong seat in our car because the manual describes "Power Seats" with only one picture of the switches as they appear on the driver's side. They makes special note of the lumbar support switch only being on the driver's side, but no other differences. Hmmmm.--mickey
  • Options
    hawk1eyehawk1eye Member Posts: 61
    Perico1
    I, interested in the gold package as well with black. Do you have a site where it shows or talks about the gold trim, cost, etc? Thanks. I would appreciate hearing back. I would like to order next week. Thats the only thing I haven't nailed down yet. I hate to spend a lot of time at the dealer while the salesman has to look everything up. I would just like to have him price it so I can see where I'm at. Thanks again. Hawkeye
  • Options
    perico1perico1 Member Posts: 32
    Dear Hawkeye,

My dealer quoted $150.00 for the gold package. It included the gold lettering and a gold emblem on the front grill. It also included gold pin-striping down each side of the car. I really didn't shop the price when I was looking, so I can't compare it to anybody. I have seen the gold on black on many cars and have always loved the look but I have not seen it on a new Avalon. I did decide against a spoiler for now....just doesn't do much for me, being so flat and small with no light. Perico
  • Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Would you mind posting the timed 0-60 and Braking Distance information? Abfisch was very concerned that the new Avalon won't stop.

~alpha
  • Options
    dshimkatdshimkat Member Posts: 54
    "JustMe: Our 2005 Limited is limited in that the passenger's side seat does not go up/down. Did they put the wrong seat in our car?"

mickeyb1,

My Limited's passenger side seat bottom also does not go up/down, just forward/back. The seat back tilts forward/back. Any comments from other's that have already taken delivery of their Limited's?
  • Options
    I'm not crazy, one of the first things I did in my XLS is lower and raise my seat, and it did go up and down like in my 04. The way it's done is by putting your finger on the bottom in the CENTER, (only works when your finger is in the center) of the longest gadget on your left of drivers side seat, push up or lowering it by doing the same from putting your finger on the center at top of the gadget and push down. I'm just wondering, because of the extending feature of the seat on the Limited which you both seem to have, would that not work?? That would seem strange, but works on my XLS. Why not call 1-800-GO-TOYOTA and ask them. I find them capable of answering many questions. If the person answering can't, they say hold on and they ask some tech person and come back with an answer, so far that has worked for me. I got another number last night 1-800-331-4331 that I received from Toyota in a survey for my new Avalon 05, and they said if I have any questions to call them at that number. So perhaps you can get the answer there if not from your dealer. Let me know how you both make out and wish you both Good Luck.
  • Options
    Dshimkat, I just reread your message, sorry, it doesn't work for the passenger side, only for the drivers side. It didn't work on the passenger side of my 04 either.
  • Options
    Mickey, sorry, it doesn't work for the passenger side seat, only the drivers seat. It didn't work on the passenger side seat of my 04 either. Sorry, I thought you were speaking of the drivers side where it does work. Regarding the passenger side, when my wife drives I always recline the back of my seat slightly anyway for more comfort so I don't need an up and down for the passenger side. I am so sorry I didn't read your post properly and thought you were speaking of the drivers side. Forgive me. Yes you have the right seats installed.
  • Options
    hawk1eyehawk1eye Member Posts: 61
    Perico,
    Thanks so much for your help. By the way, did you get the dark grey interior and dark wood trim? I think that would look great. No spoiler for me either. I think it looks great already with the black and gold. Thanks again, Perico. You have been very helpful. I'll report on the deal when I get it done. Hawkeye
  • Options
    alan1946alan1946 Member Posts: 1
    Greetings to all board members and THANKS! for the lively and very helpful discussion.

PSY: as you, I live in the Tulsa area. I have owned three Toyota's- all were bought in B'ville.

This time, however, I will try the Internet (with some trepidation) and I am open to traveling 600 miles to pick up a good deal on a loaded Limited.

Thanks to all on Board for the great discussion. I look forward to contributing my experiences.

Alan
  • Options
    Motor Trent did 0 to 60 in 6.5 sec a tenth quicker than factory suggestion and 60 to 0 121 feet.
  • Options
    dshimkatdshimkat Member Posts: 54
    just me,

Thanks for your clarification. I was starting to get paranoid that I got the wrong passenger side seat in my 05 Limited. I can't remember if my 01 Avalon XLS passenger seat went up/down as I never spent any time on that side!
  • Options
    Your welcome. I owned the 2000, 2002 and 2004 Avalons in the XL all with the optional luxury package, and the passenger seat didn't go up or down, only my drivers seat.
  • Options
    rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    I've got to wonder what Toyota was thinking when they put an 8 way power passenger seat in a $25,000 Camry but not in the new Avalon. Manufacturers are sure playing games in this area. Acura doesn't put an 8 way power passenger seat in the new RL, either. In contrast, the RX330 has an 8 way passenger seat this year for the first time. If there's a trend here, I fail to see it.
  • Options
    gerry100gerry100 Member Posts: 100
    I'm wondering if any of you that have test driven the new unit can compare suspensions with the standard suspension of the '03 Avalon.

The 'jello' struts after 25K miles were the main weakness in an a car of superior value. ( After an upgrade to KYB's the car is great.

I'm wondering if they corrected this flaw with hte new model?
  • Options
    boatsmanboatsman Member Posts: 37
    Just got home from the dealer after making all negotiations with the internet sales department. Like others have said I was scepticle but everything was just as promised. I got it for $2,528. under window sticker.
  • Options
    mcardlemcardle Member Posts: 36
    I had done some research on local inventories on-line, and at one dealership (where I got my Highlander), I left my email and home address. Yesterday I got a letter from them, from the internet sales manager, thanking me for checking out their dealership. It then introduced the sales manager and general manager, along with their phone numbers. I was cordially invited to call or stop in any time to buy my new car.

I felt like writing them a letter to the effect of "Umm, guys... the reason I'm checking online is because I don't want to call or stop in. And why aren't there any email addresses listed? Shouldn't your internet sales manager be handing his email address out like it was candy?"

Hopefully I'm not the only one amused by this. :)
  • Options
    I'm with you, mcardle. I prefer to make inquiries on the internet rather than in person or on the phone. It wastes less of their time and mine, particularly to drive over to a dealer, and cuts to the chase. "Here's what I want, what can you do?". I think an increasing part of new business will come in over the internet, and dealers will ignore it at their peril. Of the 3 local and 1 regional dealerships that I made inquiries to, oddly enough it was the one that I had bought my Sienna from last year who was the most lethargic, ignoring a explicit request for posture on the new Avalon (MSRP or discount?), and barely responding to a brochure request with an e-mail message from my (now former) salesperson as to when their first Avalon was coming in, and what its MSRP was. To this day I know only that dealership's email address, and not hers. The other 3 dealerships responded early and often to my inquiries, with an easily-reachable via email individual at each. Even if they were competitive on price (turns out they weren't), I wouldn't have gone back to my old dealership based on their poor response to email inquiries.
  • Options
    mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    I'm amused! ; ) Thanks to guys like that my business keeps growing. Here in my area there was only one store that was doing lots of business off the net beside our store a couple of years ago. Then the other two stores woke up but they still don't seem to have it right. It's not rocket science.
    : )
    Mackabee
  • Options
    mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    We didn't sell many of the bench seat cars. Not many customers actually wanted them so we didn't order them. It did give the front area a roomier feel but the seats didn't seem as comfortable as the buckets.
    : )
    Mackabee
  • Options
    jordan7jordan7 Member Posts: 77
    I have a 1998 XLS and the passenger's seat does go up and down. maybe when the car was redesigned in 2000, Toyota did away with the up and down power seat for the passenger.
  • Options
    1violinist1violinist Member Posts: 338
    I've been researching the "hesitation" problem affecting several Toyota vehicles (Camry, Solara, Highlander, Siena, ES330, RX330, etc.) due to a faulty drive-by-wire software in conjuction with the 5-speed auto tranny. Since the new Avalon uses the same drive-by-wire technology and the 5-speed auto tranny, I was wondering if this problem will affect the 05 Avalon too. Any feedback from those who test drove / bought the car? Could this problem pop up a few months down the road?
  • Options
    motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    The Avalon has nothing in common with the ES, RX, etc. The engine is derived from the Tacoma and 4Runner and the drive by wire throttle is all new. I don't know where you heard that the Avalon has the same "faulty" throttle control. Read all the reviews and test drive one for yourself.
  • Options
    willie330willie330 Member Posts: 5
    Do you or anyone else know what areas of Long Island are discounting the Avalons? I have been to 5 dealers and they are selling at MSRP only.
  • Options
    I'm in the south east region but I would suggest you just contact as many dealers in your area on the internet you can. Most dealers have web sites with a method to contact them and ask for their best deal. You might be surprised at what they come back with. In my area I contacted aprox five dealerships and got replys via email of anywhere from 25oo over list to list to 1K under and then what I ended up with! Even the dealers you've been to I would email their internet dept. and see what they come back with.
  • Options
    The Avalon does share the same transmission as the ES330. I didn't notice any particular hesitation during my one test drive in an XLS. Maybe Mackabee would comment as well; he's driven an XLS and a Touring version, and was duly diligent in his accelerator pedal research.
  • Options
    analyticangelanalyticangel Member Posts: 83
    Great job Boatsman ........where in the Southesat do you live and which model Avalon did you purchase...Perhaps because I am a female I have not had much luck trying to negotiate buying the 2005 Avalon. I love this site as I am learning and need all the help I can get Thanks!
  • Options
    bikegalbikegal Member Posts: 50
    USA TODAY review said Avalon hesitated at slow speeds, see earlier post for link.

Some folks here pooh-poohed the review because so far it's the only one. But not a lot of reviewers noted the lag right awayin the ES....
  • Options
    I am in Florida but I don't think it matters if you let your fingers do the work on the internet. I got a Limited. All my negotiations were done on line so they don't even need to know if your male or female until you go in to sign the papers.
  • Options
    The April Motor Trend road test made no mention of hesitation when you step on the gas, in fact they indicated surprise as how fast the acceleration was even beating the TMC release info.
  • Options
    tallguytallguy Member Posts: 26
    I currently own a 2001 XLS which I have been very happy with. My biggest problem is marginal legroom. I am 6'7" and am pretty well balanced between torso and leg length. Happily I was able to find an XLS without a moonroof. Living in the San Fernando Valley outside of LA I am generally trying to avoid the sun rather than having it tan my thinning scalp. I am hoping to check out the new Avalon. I would be happy to get one with most of the safety options, navigation, suspension, and that IR speed thing seems interesting.

I was very concerned when I saw some discussion here about a reduction in legroom. Good grief, 75% of the time I am the only one driving, and 95% just me and a passenger. I think the folks in the back should be comfortable, but I could sure use another two inches of track travel. Right now with the seat all the way back and as low as it goes I have about 2.5" clearance from my shin to the dash.

I went to the auto show in LA and sat in all the big cars that sold for under $50,000. Could only look at the Avalon not sit in it. The only other car I could fit reasonably well into was the Nissan Maxima, and the Chrysler 300. I was surprised not to fit in the Lexus models, or Cadillacs that well. Mind you in an emergency I could fit, but not for a long distance. Going to a car show and having such limitations is sooo frustrating. Really cannot do much about how tall you are.

I rented a Chrysler 300 when I was in AZ and drove it around most of the state. The legroom was great. But I do not want an underpowered car and do not think the hemi would be very economical and Chrysler does not have the dependability record that Toyota has.

So, can you get the Touring without a moonroof? The dash appears to slop away a bit more than on the 2001. Any suggestions, any hope??? I really enjoy the forum and look forward to chatting with you.
  • Options
    alan1946

Ive heard good when it comes to purchasing in B'ville, Muskogee and Mcalster. I did buy my Ranger in Tulsa and thought I was getting a good deal at 15k. Okmulgee and Henryetta both wanted close to 17k. Then I saw the same rig in Ft. Smith for 13k. And the Ranger was a net deal. Ive learned my lesson. Dont swim with the sharks in Tulsa.

I saw a white Limited with the windows blacked out today and chrome black wheels on it with black pin striping. Looked real nice!!! Just shuddered to think they might have as much as 40k in that ride if they bought it in Tulsa.

For giggles I went to a 3m detail shop today and checked on pricing to do 3m tint job on a large sedan and a clip job on a clear bra. $1250.00 bucks. I need to change carrers.

Im leaning more twords a Touring for the firmer ride. But it dosent come in the dark blue. No heated or ventlated seats. I know I will get on a two lane in Arkansas if I get a xls or limited and then be doing supension mods.

Spoke with a buddy of mine today that is a past Tacoma 4x4 champ. Use to have factory support. He loves his wickedly modded trucks. But agrees Toyota dealers have well earned the nick name toyota stealers. Hes bought 3 Tacomas in the last 5 years, but refuses to buy his fourth cause of all there silly fees and also wants a avalon but has decided to find one used in 06.

psy
  • Options
    mikes.mikes. Member Posts: 337
    I solicited approximately 12 dealers in the greater DC area a few weeks ago and got decent responses from 9 of them. I was slightly suprised at the low level of response I got from Koons, the big gurellia on the block. I've bought 2 other cars from them and so have a decent history with them.

I wound up buying from Younger for 2 reasons, they were very prompt in responding to my inquires and questions and they were good about keeping in touch by e-mail and not calling.
  • Options
    mikes.mikes. Member Posts: 337
    I picked up 2 filters Wednesday from my local dealer. They were 6.35 apiece, full price, which is what I paid.

I have an internet toyota dealer that will sell them for 3.99 each, plus shipping. Usually I can order 6 at the same time for the same cost in shipping as for one from this dealer. So I know where I'll be buying from in the future.

With less material involved with these new filters I'm suprised, kinda but not really, that they aren't cheaper then the "old" style. Although the new filter includes 2 O rings and a plastic thingy.

First oil change is scheduled for first thing this morning, right after work.

MikeS.