Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti M35/M45 2006+

Comments

• camelzizoucamelzizou Member Posts: 14
    With regards to the rosewood interior, I was going to use Pledge extra moisturizing w/ lemon oil so that i can bring out the true quality of the wood. Has anyone here used this product before? If I should get a different type of wood cleaner, can someone please suggest a good one for me? Also, if it can be a wood cleaner that is readily available at a local store (walmart, autozone, etc.) and doesn't have to be ordered via the internet.

As for the rims, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for any products used to keep the rims nice and shiny. I believe I heard someone say they used a carnauba wax? I would appreciate as many opinions as possible.

Brian
  • blov8rblov8r Member Posts: 567
    any M35 Sport owners that have owned their M35 sport for a while...what is you opinion on the 19" wheels and the sport suspension? :shades:

I've had my M35 Sport since the 6th of April I agree there is a difference in handling between the base and Sport M35, but it's not a night-and-day difference. The reward is a definite feeling of being connected to the road. To a gearhead like me it's real and worth the added cost. The car's stable as an anvil at highway speeds and (of course) nimble in the daily commute.

I'm inclined to disagree with your characterization of the difference between the base and M35 Sport's performance as being "much rougher", but it is a bit rougher than the base and there's a touch more road noise on rough roads. I just returned from a road trip on good interstates and there's no road noise to speak of. Part of the rough edges seem to diminish after the break-in period because the tires seem to flex a bit better --- possibly an artifact induced by familiarity with the car's ride.

For the record, I keep my tires at 36 psi cold.

(Having thus opined, let's keep in mind the decision tree in selecting speakers for our stereo systems ... there are genuine differences when compared in the studio but once the purchase is made and the speakers installed at home the differences all but vanish.)

I love the aggressive appearance of the 19" wheels; they, together with my Aero package, make the car stand out from the (small local) crowd. As stated by others here, however, I am concerned about scraping those wheels on curbs. My tires are Bridgestone Potenza's (I don't know if that's uniformly what's being installed) and there's a rib on the tires' sidewalls that provides a modicum of protection from inadvertant scrapes, but hit a curb hard enough and no amount of rubber will protect the wheels.

Bart
  • worldskiworldski Member Posts: 14
    Who has a link or a copy of the article on the M in Popular Mechanic. I can not seem to find the review. Thanks Ski.
    There have been cars in the past with a great number of comparison wins, but none I believe coming from such a diversity of fans: :shades:

Having fabricated this most impressive new vehicle, Infiniti's next job is to develop a permanent "identity" ... something that sets it apart and makes it recognizable as an Infiniti by everyone over time. Their grille-less initial Q45 was distinctive but short-lived, but that was the only time everyone knew what they were seeing. The new Acura's are distinctive (although they don't appeal to me); they're killing Infiniti here in southern Arizona. MB, BMW, Lexus, and Jaguar from all generations are identifiable as what they are. Caddy's are Caddy's, and even Pontiac's have had some distinctive physical features forever. Without a special "look" selling the best car in it's class will always be an uphill struggle.

I get lots of comments in parking lots about the great appearance of my car ... followed by "what is it"? That shouldn't be an issue 15+ years into the life of a quality brand.

Bart
  • prophetprophet Member Posts: 72
    Look for the October issue with "Best cars of the year" on the cover.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    I agree with your characterization of the Sport vs. non-sport M. I've had my M35 Sport since March and it remains as trouble free, solid and exemplifying quality as any Lexus I've owned. I have not found the ride or engine growl to be intrusive in any way. The 19" wheels really look great, but I'm sure I will not like the cost of replacement when it becomes necessary.
  • dl8dl8 Member Posts: 25
    No, I was not aware of that.
    I will test it out later today.
    Thank you much, Pete.

David
  • aas5aas5 Member Posts: 50
    I disagree somewhat. People can clearly see the connection between the G and the M, and assuming that the G has been around for 2+ years and is very popular, people should be able to connect the two and identify the M as an Infiniti brand.
    To go beyond that, I think Infiniti just need to keep doing what it's been doing well since 2002. It is a 15+ year old brand, but it was poorly managed for the first 12...
  • pete_l_ppete_l_p Member Posts: 322
    To go beyond that, I think Infiniti just needs to keep doing what it's been doing well since 2002.

I completely agree.

Independently, I get an awful lot of head turning with this car. People walk by, stop, stare inside, and keep looking back as they walk on.

Pete
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    Independently, I get an awful lot of head turning with this car. People walk by, stop, stare inside, and keep looking back as they walk on.

Ditto for me.
  • jeff721jeff721 Member Posts: 80
    I have been using a damp (Very Sightly damp) micro fiber towel and water. I used the Quick Detailer on the rest of the interior and was happy with the results. But it like the wood plain old clean.

I use mother car wash on the car and rims. I mex the rim mothers in a separate bucket for the rims and wash them first. I never let the rims get very dirty on my M, but I would use the P21S wheel cleaner on them if they did get dirty. Mostly my rims are slightly dusty.

I have waxed my rims with P21S carnuba wax. I do not think I will do that again. They are no easier to clean than before I waxed them and it was a pain getting all the wax out from around the emblem in the middle.
  • dl8dl8 Member Posts: 25
    No such problem on mine.

One question:
    Are you aware that it's designed to shut off below 45 MPH. Is it possible that (because of your particular route) you've been taking your speed down to below 45mph after the first 5-8 minutes?

Pete

You are right.
    Thanks a lot Pete.

David
    You're very welcome, and I'm glad it worked out so easily. I'm sure that's a bit of a relief. :)

Pete
    I disagree somewhat. People can clearly see the connection between the G and the M, and assuming that the G has been around for 2+ years and is very popular, people should be able to connect the two and identify the M as an Infiniti brand. :shades:

You're absolutely correct about the family resemblance of the G and M ... and that's exactly the point I was hoping to make. The first Q45 was distinctive ... but bore no resemblance to any other Infiniti. The small Infiniti (forgot its badge) looked too much like a Sentra, the J30 looked too much like the Altima, and the I30 looked too much like the Maxima. The G and M share a "flavor" and they're sufficiently removed from the Nissan brand to finally get recognition. I've seen G's from a distance and known they're Infiniti's ... but uncertain until getting closer whether they're G's or M's. That's the family resemblance that can make this an identifiable brand.

Bart
    I hear you on those sport wheels, and on the sport handling in general. (Also the pale gray interior, only available on the sport, is my fav.) Most everyone who has a sport totally loves it.

As for me, I'm thrilled that that I got the non-sport premium (that great M45 engine doesn't hurt BTW.) IMO, with serious twisty driving, the car still has unbelievable sports car handling. Nonetheless the ultra smooth feel on long highway trips is a noticeable difference for me and much more so for my wife.

The non-sport M is, IMO, the absolute perfect balance for all but the most hard core enthusiasts. JMHO of course.

Pete
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    over the response to the G and (more recently) M, it's a wonderful time to be a Nissan fan. When I drove my '73 240-Z out of the showroom of Capilano Motors in Edmonton in April of '73, I began the journey that I'm hoping to continue shortly with a G35 coupe.

In the middle, I bought a used '72 510, modified it, & drove it over 105K miles. Sold it in '92 to another fan.

Oh, and a couple of years ago we got out of the minivan situation and bought a Pathfinder. Within the first couple of months, we took it (along with #1 & #2 sons with their 4WD vehicles) up the "road" locally known as the back way to Crown King -- generally very difficult for stock 4WD vehicles. No problems.

I have very much enjoyed Nissan vehicles. I'm looking forward to continuing to.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • armen6armen6 Member Posts: 17
    I picked up my new 35x this weekend. Got a very satisfying deal from a highly classy dealership in NJ. I have only driven it home and docked in the garage. I will continue to use my '00 Maxima until I am ready to part with her, a loyal and faithful partner for five years. I know the M will be a dramatic improvement to my Max, but my love for Nissans (had '90 240SX and '79 280Zx first car ever) led me to choose over the soft Lex and Accordesque RL. I know my choice is best and can't wait to roar up and down my block day after day in my new M. Infiniti has separated itself from the other boring brands in the LPS market and is superior to its BMW and Merc competitors. It will take a carmaker like Porsche or Mazrerati to make a car to compete with this new M.
  • sjcbillsjcbill Member Posts: 82
    Is it my imagination or do you think that the M's fuel door spring was deliberately shaped like an Infiniti logo?
  • momanmoman Member Posts: 28
    I'm with you on the ride and handling of the M45 (non-sport) premium. I'm very happy with mine too. I thought the sport was a tad harsh for a family guy such as myself with 2 young daughters. The black/black looks great.

I AM having some recurring problems with the front passenger door speaker (been replaced once and I have an appointment to get it replaced again) because of buzz/humm, also getting some rattle from the rear DVD screen and some other front seat rattle/squeaks. The seat bottom of the driver seat should be a bit longer or have a Recarro type extender to give greater thigh support. I get some leg fatigue. Other than that everything that should work, does work. A welcome break from past German cars. A wonderful piece of machinery.
  • ckelly14ckelly14 Member Posts: 105
    I will be purchasing the M35 with tech next month and, in order to psych myself up, have upgraded my home system to 5.1 surround sound with a Pioneer universal disc player. I searched the forums, but I still have a few questions:

1. Is there a dedicated forum for high-end audio discussion? Any suggestions?
    2. I heard that the GS300 ML system plays DVD's but actually it is only a DVD-V player: i.e. the surround sound tracks are actually DTS or AC3 tracks and not the 24 bit/96Hz uncompressed "DVD-A" tracks. Is this correct? Is the M's player a true DVD-A player?
    3. Someone on this forum posted that they can convert SACD tracks to DTS to play in a surround system. Does anyone know how to do this? I find that the selection of SACD is somewhat better and more contemporary. I thought that it was posted somewhere but I cannot find it.

Thanks
    Glad to hear you're enjoying your M, and sorry to hear about the speaker problem.

I don't know if this will be a comfort to you or not, but I haven't had one problem. noise, rattle or issue since I purchased my car. Just pure pleasure, and lots of it.

Pete
  • rrobrrob Member Posts: 51
    I get an awful lot of head turning with this car. People walk by, stop, stare inside, and keep looking back as they walk on.

Happens here too. People often stop and look for a long time. And, often ask "what is it?"

I like that there is a family resemblance with the G and hope that this continues with the new Q & etc. That's just for my own hubris though as Infiniti is starting to make some real winners, but doesn't have a strong positive brand identity yet.

Uncertainty about the brand (and Nissan in general) is why I took the unusual step (for me) of leasing my M45. It seemed like the 72% residual @ 36 months (just my faulty memory here on the value, don't mean to start a 'residuals' thread!) they offered for the lease was a good bet, in that I didn't trust the brand enough to know where things will stand in 3 years regarding the car's value. But, after 3300 miles, this is easily the best car I've owned in some time, and they'll keep my business, if they keep up the quality.

I'll probably be paying a premium at the end of the lease for putting too many miles on my M . . . and I don't care :P !
    with serious twisty driving, the car still has unbelievable sports car handling

I've had four Corvettes none of which was as quick or as nimble as my M35 Sport. I've had a wide array of luxury sedans, and none compared with my Q45 (1992). I was betwixt and between the M45 without sport and aero, or the full-boat sport/tech/aero M35 that was sitting front and center in the dealer's showroom. Even the color was right. The added bells and whistles round out a great vehicle for me ... I only drive 7,500 miles per year (90+% of which is local commuting) but every one of them is fun. I'd never get to turn the 45 loose, although I'd sure enjoy it if I could. (Drove a buddy's SL55 AMG last fall ... now THAT'S raw power!) Bart :shades:
  • wbreaux1wbreaux1 Member Posts: 55
    Just began considering an M; looks like a great car. Does anyone know where I can find a picture of the non sport wheels? The web site says non sport are 8 spoke and sport are 5 spoke. All pictures on the Infinity web site are 5 spoke. thanks.
  • dwallace1dwallace1 Member Posts: 1
    Here's what I'm experiencing: Paired the phone and car just fine, but they loose touch with eachother after a few moments. It's almost as if the phone disables it's bluetooth capabilities to conserve power. Therefore when I get an incoming call the phone rings in my pocket 2-3 times, then the phone "wakes up" pairs w/ the bluetooth and then the car finally starts ringing. I can then answer the call with the car. This is different from my old, motorola phone which rang to the car from the first ring.

To make calls, I can not just push my voice command button on my steering wheel and say Dial ... and then the number. The phone and car have, on most occasions, lost touch w/ eachother. Therefore, my solution is to first push the "Phone" button on the dash, wait for them to pair, and then use the steering wheel / dial... etc. It works because they are paired for that short time.

This is my experience and I am disappointed because my last phone, a motorola, worked flawlessly from the moment I entered the car until I left it.

The car is a 2006, the Treo has the latest patch from Verizon (my carrier.) Any ideas on this problem?

All these things aside, the phone is great and car is amazing. Love them.
    The car is a 2006, the Treo has the latest patch from Verizon (my carrier.) Any ideas on this problem?

The Treo 650 isn't fully compatible with the Infiniti's Bluetooth system. Look back on this thread a couple of months, sometime in May ... there was a lot of discussion re: compatibility issues with Treo and other phones. One of the guys (forgot his name) is a guru on Bluetooth technology and developed a "patch" for the connectivity that worked for him.

My first Verizon phone was the Motorola V710 ... it was recognized by the car whenever I got in, although I could never import the phonebook. I switched to the Treo from Verizon and I had the same problem you are having so I swapped it out after a day for the Motorola E815 that looks identical to the V710 and is supposedly an upgraded version --- and with the E815 I need to re-awaken the car's system whenever I get in the car. I've been told by two different Verizon dealers that it's a feature that saves battery life, so I've had to set up a shortcut (push two buttons) to couple my phone to the car's audio system; a minor nuisance, but in the overall scheme of things not worth getting more gray hair over.

All of that aside, I've still been unable to transport the phonebook to the car so I've simply taken a few minutes to manually enter the frequently called numbers and then initiate my calls hands free.

If you go to Infiniti's website and follow the Bluetooth trail they'll tell you which phones are compatible --- by that they mean "fully" compatible. By their own admission, however, it is not a completely current listing.

Good luck. Perhaps the fellow who made the Treo patch will read this and help you get things un-stuck.

Bart :confuse:
  • wadamswadams Member Posts: 5
    Hey guys, I'm going to be picking up my M35x (Twilight Blue) either this evening or tomorrow, but the detailer I use can't get to it till Sunday. I told the dealer not to do anything other than wash it. Should I be worried about driving the car the rest of the week without any wax or protectant/sealer? I'd hate to leave it parked in the garage the rest of the week, but I will if there's a chance of any scratches or marks.

Thanks

Wayne
  • rrobrrob Member Posts: 51
    with the E815 I need to re-awaken the car's system whenever I get in the car. I've been told by two different Verizon dealers that it's a feature that saves battery life, so I've had to set up a shortcut (push two buttons) to couple my phone to the car's audio system; a minor nuisance, but in the overall scheme of things not worth getting more gray hair over.

I think I am just about to get an E815 - what specifically is your "two button" shortcut?

Thanks - rrob
  • drtraveldrtravel Member Posts: 395
    Uncertainty about the brand (and Nissan in general) is why I took the unusual step (for me) of leasing my M45. It seemed like the 72% residual 36 months (just my faulty memory here on the value, don't mean to start a 'residuals' thread!) they offered for the lease was a good bet, in that I didn't trust the brand enough to know where things will stand in 3 years regarding the car's value

I went through the exact same thought process! Wanted the GS 300 - as a former owner felt comfortable with Lexus reliability and resale, but just didn't like the car. On April 15 I leased a M35 (42 mo/15K per year) for a decent money factor of 0.00175 and let Infiniti take all the resale risk. If I liked the car and and it was worth more than the residual I'll buy it at lease end. If not I walk away and shop for my next Lexus, BMW or M-B. Oops....did I say BMW or M-B? Not unless their reliability increases big time in the next three years.
    Anyone has any experience with LG VX8100 sold by Verizon?
    The Treo 650 isn't fully compatible with the Infiniti's Bluetooth system. Look back on this thread a couple of months, sometime in May ... there was a lot of discussion re: compatibility issues with Treo and other phones. One of the guys (forgot his name) is a guru on Bluetooth technology and developed a "patch" for the connectivity that worked for him.

I have to disagree with that statement to some degree.. While there are bluetooth compatibility issues with the Treos from Verizon and Cingular, every report I've read from Sprint Treo users who have the newest Sprint Treo software, indicates full compatibility.

I assume that verizon and cingular will handle this at some point, but in the meantime I wouldn't want to discourage people about the Sprint Treo. An excellent device. (My wife has it, and I'm an ex treo user. :) )

Right now I'm very happy with my Verizon/Samsung i730. It works well with the M, and is the only phone now available with cellular broadband internet. (It's using EV-DO which has internet speeds of 400-700kbps, and which is available throughout over 50 cities )

Pete
  • undecided7undecided7 Member Posts: 92
    Wayne, you shouldn't have any problems or worries in driving your car prior to washing/waxing. It already comes with a clearcoat and finish that should last for quite a while. The frequency and timing of waxing is up to you, but a general rule of thumb that I've used is to wax it for every change in season and/or 6 months, depending on the climate you live in.
  • m35girlm35girl Member Posts: 18
    Hey Everyone!

Just discovered today that my M was keyed by someone in the mall parking lot where I work. Ironically in the shape of a D (my first name)on the hood. I hope it wasn't personal like that but you never know. And it was clearly not someone accidentally knocking a shopping cart or bags into it.I was just wondering how other people have handled this before as far as insurance and how long it takes to repair.
    Anyone has any experience with LG VX8100 sold by Verizon?

Yes. I posted this some time back. It works reliably with no problem but I'm not impressed with the quality of the incoming audio.
  • ewvewv Member Posts: 3
    I have a question. Are the M45 sports sedans door skins, hood and trunk made of fiberglass or some other non metallic composition? The reason I ask is that I took a flexible magnet, the kind a doctor gives you to place on your refrigerator door having emergency contact information, and the magnet would stick to the quarter panels and roof but not to the doors, hood or trunk. I have looked at the sales literature and could not find any information on this either. Id they are not made of metal does this mean that my doors may not get as dinged as a regular car??

Thanks for any information.
    EWV
  • donshermandonsherman Member Posts: 15
    My experience with the Verizon Samsung i730 on voice quality is to disable voice privacy on incomming and outgoing calls. I saw a reference on the web in a review of the phone-before on this- I do not remember where- and it has worked in my M. The disabiling makes you vulnerable to being overheard, but I don't consider that much of a threat- I am not working for the CIA- Give it a try.
  • marko7marko7 Member Posts: 63
    These parts are made of aluminum to lower car's weight. This is one of the reasons the M does not get a perfect rating in a side crash simulation. Also, its doors do not close with the heavy "German thunk."

Incidentally, Acura RL also has an aluminum hood and trunk lid but it has steel doors which helps it attain the best crash rating throughout. The RL also has a carbon fiber drive shaft to reduce weight. The M's shaft is likely made of steel.
    Have you tried playing with the volume of incoming/outgoing calls to try to mitigate this? I understand that some people had success configuring other phones to work better this way.
    Thanks for that post.

I had a somewhat garbled call for the first time today, and just after that, I read you post. Good timing on your part.

I notice from googling it that a lot of people see a big improvement. So I've just done it.

BTW, In case anyone is having trouble finding it, you need to change voice privacy to standard rather than enhanced.

Pete
  • dashooterdashooter Member Posts: 35
    They will paint the entire hood. It will probably take 3 or 4 days in the shop, if you have a typical experience. The cost "should" run in the $500 to $700 range. The insurance question depends upon your deductible. If you have a $500 deduct, it's stupid to take a hit on your record for a net $100. Even the legit insurance companies will start to raise rates if you have more than two claims in 18 months. All subject to many variables. If you need a car, and have rental coverage on your policy. Lots of details that you have to work through. The first rule is don't file claims, if you can reasonably avoid it. PS Some body shops will drop the bill if you say that you don't have insurance. I had two scratches on my Ford. They came from $1100 to $790 since I was paying. ( $1000 deductible saves me a lot of money )
    Ask your insurance agent to refer you to a body shop they use / work with. That will cut a lot of risk out of the experience.
  • mvs1mvs1 Member Posts: 462
    maybe and ex-girlfriend???

Extremely unfortunate, mall parking lots are terrible in general...when you park your new car those rusted out 1980 K-cars seem to find that open spot riiiiiight next to you.
  • camelzizoucamelzizou Member Posts: 14
    every time i ever park my M45 in the parking garage of my university, I always park it as far away from other cars as possible so that people dont open their doors recklessly and damage my car. Getting my M keyed has been something i've feared ever since i've thought about owning it. People are usually jealous when they see that someone has a nice new car.
    I think I am just about to get an E815 - what specifically is your "two button" shortcut?

It was set up by the Verizon dealer as he walked through the various menus, so I can't be specific. Once set, however, it goes like this: On the round selection button above the dial I puress the "up" arrow on the rim, then immediately the "OK" center button, with an immediate final tap of the left upper corner button ... I guess it's really three steps. But done in rapid sequence taking a second, it works every time. If you get better connectivity, please let me know, as I've had my phone for a couple of months and there may be some newer/better software now available.

Good luck, and keep me posted.

Bart
    how other people have handled this before as far as insurance and how long it takes to repair. :cry:

I carry $1K deductible on my auto insurance, and would carry $2.5K if they would allow me to. With claims resulting in higher premiums I'm willing to eat less than catastrophic costs and take them as a business expense on my tax return ... as auto maintenance ... blunts the pain a bit. Fortunately I haven't had an incident since 1989 and that was exactly 31 hours before I was changing insurance carriers so my current carrier has zero claims.

My guess is a quality body shop can fix that hood for < $1K. Depending upon the depth of the key-job, it might be possible to buff it out. The bigger concern, however, would be the "coincidence" of your "D" ... will the same SOB do it again? Do you park with video surveillance? I'd be inclined to ask them to review their tapes, if any exist.

Bart
  • docnukemdocnukem Member Posts: 485
    I do not see where the IIHS has tested the RL in the side or rear crash. It received a "Good" (Best Pick) in the frontal impact, just as the M did. The M was tested from the side and achieved a "Good" rating.

What surprised me was the "Poor" rating for rear impacts on the M. Granted, these are not considered as serious as the frontal and side impacts. My headrest seems to be in perfect position.
    My experience with the Verizon Samsung i730 on voice quality is to disable voice privacy on incoming and outgoing calls. I saw a reference on the web in a review of the phone-before on this- I do not remember where- and it has worked in my M. The disabling makes you vulnerable to being overheard, but I don't consider that much of a threat- I am not working for the CIA- Give it a try.

The VX8100 has no voice privacy setting but it does have a "My Visibility" setting which can be set to "Hidden" or "Shown to all". Maybe this is the same thing. I'll give it a try and post the result here.
    Have you tried playing with the volume of incoming/outgoing calls to try to mitigate this? I understand that some people had success configuring other phones to work better this way.

I have done this with little change other than the volume. I'm going to try the privacy setting like another user suggests and let you know if it helps. The audio is useable but not nearly as clear as when you use the phone's speaker.
  • kfhmailkfhmail Member Posts: 199
    Infiniti of Huntsville (Alabama) is having a sale where you pay what their employees pay (whatever that is).
    Here is the reply I received from the dealership when I asked about details:

Yes, just on cars in stock or any that come in during the employee sale. You can purchase any Infiniti (new) at what our employees can buy them. We are the only Dealership offering this discount. It is not a nationally advertised sale.

xx
    Internet Sales Consultant
    Huntsville Autoplex

I have alot of questions/concerns about the dealership, but check it out for yourself..

IMO it is not a well run outfit. But if you get a good price and then have it serviced at you local dealership, it may be worth checking out.
    I have to disagree with that statement to some degree.. While there are bluetooth compatibility issues with the Treos from Verizon and Cingular, every report I've read from Sprint Treo users who have the newest Sprint Treo software, indicates full compatibility.

When you say "there are bluetooth compatibility issues with the Treos from Verizon and Cingular" it seems you're more in agreement than disagreement. My reference was ONLY to Verizon's implementation of the Treo 650 and compatibility with Infiniti. Sooner or later there will likely be a remedy, but as of my last visit to Verizon they simply weren't sufficiently functional w/ Infiniti to be worth the money. I'd love to have one ... saves me shlepping two pieces of hardware with me ... but just not ready for prime time. Bart