Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Is the timing belt tensioner covered under the 5 yr 60k miles power train warranty

labautomanlabautoman Posts: 1
edited October 2015 in Honda
The dealer says our 2011 v6 Accord needs a timing belt tension er. Very noisy at cold start up. The dealer says it is not covered under the power train warranty. So I call Honda USA and asked and the person I talked to after some research said it would be if the car is still under 5 years old, it is at 59,000 miles. but I did not know the VIN to get the age, so I had to call back with the VIN. Gave a different person may case number and VIN and the car is less than 5 years old, but this person tells me the timing belt tension-er is not covered.

Thanks for any help

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 119,799

The dealer says our 2011 v6 Accord needs a timing belt tension er. Very noisy at cold start up. The dealer says it is not covered under the power train warranty. So I call Honda USA and asked and the person I talked to after some research said it would be if the car is still under 5 years old, it is at 59,000 miles. but I did not know the VIN to get the age, so I had to call back with the VIN. Gave a different person may case number and VIN and the car is less than 5 years old, but this person tells me the timing belt tension-er is not covered.

Thanks for any help

Can't speak specifically to this Honda, but in general, timing belts are a maintenance item, not a repair. As opposed to engines that use a timing chain, which is supposedly a lifetime item (until it isn't).

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• thecardoc3thecardoc3 Posts: 4,989
    Does the sound go away within 2-5 seconds?