Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Is the timing belt tensioner covered under the 5 yr 60k miles power train warranty

labautomanlabautoman Member Posts: 1
edited October 2015 in Honda
The dealer says our 2011 v6 Accord needs a timing belt tension er. Very noisy at cold start up. The dealer says it is not covered under the power train warranty. So I call Honda USA and asked and the person I talked to after some research said it would be if the car is still under 5 years old, it is at 59,000 miles. but I did not know the VIN to get the age, so I had to call back with the VIN. Gave a different person may case number and VIN and the car is less than 5 years old, but this person tells me the timing belt tension-er is not covered.

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185

The dealer says our 2011 v6 Accord needs a timing belt tension er. Very noisy at cold start up. The dealer says it is not covered under the power train warranty. So I call Honda USA and asked and the person I talked to after some research said it would be if the car is still under 5 years old, it is at 59,000 miles. but I did not know the VIN to get the age, so I had to call back with the VIN. Gave a different person may case number and VIN and the car is less than 5 years old, but this person tells me the timing belt tension-er is not covered.

Thanks for any help

Can't speak specifically to this Honda, but in general, timing belts are a maintenance item, not a repair. As opposed to engines that use a timing chain, which is supposedly a lifetime item (until it isn't).

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    Does the sound go away within 2-5 seconds?