Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you experience loading issues with the login/register form, please completely disable ad blocker or use an incognito or in-private window to log in.

Acura TL Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Sorry to hear that your 01 tranny broke down. I had the same experience about 3 years ago with my 99 TL. I only had the one transmission go out at about the same milage you did, and then I turned the car in about a year later when the lease was up. During that last year of my lease I bought another TL, an 03 because I did like the car well enough and figured the transmission was a fluke. We all know now that it is a known defect in those cars, and I am crossing my fingers that my 03 tranny does not have the same issue. Honda tells us that our car has the problem fixed, but then late last year they have a recall, go figure.

We have decided to keep our 03 unless other things go wrong. My wife drives it now, and let me know that the volume control on the steering wheel went out as well as the switch for the passenger side heated seat. Some minor issues, but nothing major yet. The car only has 18k miles on it now.

Make sure you extend that warranty out as long as you can, that model year especially the type s, had lots of problems with the transmission.

A legal firm in San Diego is engaging Honda now in a class action law suit over this transmission issue. No settlement has been reached yet. I will be keeping up with the law suit and try to post here if something is ever reached.
  • THANKS for pointing this out to me. Looking at the manual the 45,000 service is not as big a deal as I thought it was.

I called my local Goodyear (AAA approved) who is quoting me $100. He told me just bring in the manual and he will do everything listed. No concerns to bringing this in here (with the price so low) instead of a dealerhip?
  • That sounds reasonable! The dealer will do the same job for double the price. The 45K service is basically oil change, tire rotation, cleaning/adjusting the brakes, checking hoses/belts, topping all fluids, etc. So, go with the Goodyear and save your money. Also, change oil around 5K/6 months (as per the manual).
  • nycjswnycjsw Posts: 15
    "A legal firm in San Diego is engaging Honda now in a class action law suit over this transmission issue. No settlement has been reached yet. I will be keeping up with the law suit and try to post here if something is ever reached."

Funny you should mention that law suit. In November 04 when my 1st tranny went out I was so pissed I emailed the law firm with what had happend. They contacted me within about two weeks and wanted to set up a time to meet. At first I was thinking it might be some kind of a scam. But sure enough they sent out an attorney to my house and a person showed up to video tape my account of how my transmission went out in a very dangerous manner (rapidly downshifting making car very difficult to control). It sounded like they were at the very least trying to get Honda/Acura to offer a better warranty based on the installation date of a replacement tranmission. So instead of just a 7 year/100K warranty, there would also be a 5 year/50K extention from the date of a replacement transmission up to a certain point. This would prevent Honda/Acura from just putting in replacements until everyone is beyond 7 year/100K. We will see. They did say sometime in Feb they should know something.
  • Yeah, the same lawyer came here to Ohio and filmed me back in late December. I sure do hope they get some justice, those replacement transmissions seem just as bad as the originals. The 03 we now own was manufactured late enough in 02 that they say it has no trouble with the transmission. I am worried they will try to say that I am not eligible for anything, they didnt offer me the extended warranty free either. They did however recall our car and rig it up to last longer. We did buy an extended warranty up to 5 years/70 k miles. So we feel pretty safe for now, as the car has about 18k on it now and is less than 3 years old. We bought this car thinking that we would own it for a long time, now we think we will dump it once the warranty runs out.

Last I heard, I emailed the lawyer, there is going to be a meeting sometime in March. Keep your fingers crossed.
  • I have a 1999 tl 3.2 that is a great car. Has about 60K miles on it. Good car.

Two problems though:

1. Of late the sunroof has begun to squeak when driving. Not when opening or closong but just when driving with it closed. I believe it is the rubbing of the rubber gasket. Does anyone know what can be applied to the rubber to stop this rubbing squeak?

2. Since new, the illumination for the odometer, outside temperature, etc has been pretty dim. Does anyone know of a possible replacemnt bulb or something to remedy this?

Thanks, any help is appreciated. gandb7
  • tedescm1tedescm1 Posts: 309
    To nycjsw,

What was the name of the law firm..

contact info?

thanks,
  • Karen_SKaren_S Posts: 5,095
    As we discourage any type of contact info being exchanged publicly in the discussions, you can make your email public to other Forum members so they can contact you privately.

Edmunds Manager UGC Click on my screen name to send a personal message. Need help navigating? Check out Getting Started in Edmunds Forums.
    Need help picking out a make/model, finding inventory, or advice on pricing? Talk to an Edmunds Car Shopping Advisor

• bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    There's a tape the dealer can apply around the edge of the roof opening to stop the squeaking/rattling. The noise may come back after 1 year or so though.
  • I am having my 1999 TL in for 90,000 service and they told me that the exhaust gas recirculation is a problem. They have to remove the intake cover and drill a hole to make it larger for the air flow so carbon build-up will not be as great. The car is at an Acura dealer. Why do they have to do this and why wasn't it done originally on the car. I only use supreme gas. The cost for this is $449. Help anyone.
    I lost the guys card. If I really wanted to find his # I could check my cell phone records for the CA calls back before xmas. I got the contact info off of one of the acura forums websites. To be honest when he called I did not know how he got my # but when he said I contacted him online, I remembered one night contacting his firm online. Maybe the guy from Ohio still has contact info. Check the acura forum websites or If need be I'll go online and check my phone log.
  • The car has about a 150 miles on it and last night the car would not shift out of Park and the VSA (traction control) lights stayed on. Any suggestions on what could be wrong. The car is at the dealership.
    Did the check engine indicator stay on? Once you turned the car off, then back on again did the transmission shift. I once had water get into my odometer wiring and it caused a similar circumstance as you describe. So it could electrical or almost anything. I'd go to the dealer asap.
  • I have all of the contact information if you want it, but looks like you will need to give me an email address in your member profile.
  • I am disappointed with Honda of America. I owned a 2001 CL-S for about three years and aside from replacing the transmission, it was a good car. Now in 2005, after test driving five Accords that had the windshield popping issue, we turned to the Acura TL. After researching and using pricing information from the Edmunds forums, we drove from VA to MD to pick up our new TL. The car was flawless during the test drive, but while driving back to VA I heard a subtle grinding noise. After driving the car for about a week, the noise continued and slightly increased in volume. Well, the car is now at Acura service and is scheduled to receive a new (rep stated it would not be refurbished) transmission. When asked if they have replaced any 04 or 05 TL transmissions, he stated that this is the first. They think that it might be the differential. Has any 04 or 05 TL owners experienced transmission problems?
  • ntt18ntt18 Posts: 8
    Good luck !

Mt 04TL engine does not sound too good either. In fact, it is worse than my 87 Nissan Maxima which I used to own. I made a mistake in trusting Honda/Acura. The engine is extremely noisy for spanking new car.

The transmission problems have been ongoing since 99 and I thought it must be fixed by now especially when they roll out the new TL. No, it has not been fixed and Honda don't care as long they can sell cars, we the suckers are stuck with it.

My 04TL engine is putting out a humming grunting noises when accelerating from a complete stop. The dealer said Oh, that's normal bcoz the TL is a high performance car you know whatever. You call Acura customer service, some girls there know nothing about cars and they pass you around to someone else. You talk to a manager he can only say certain things, most don't help.

I am leaning toward to selling it anyday now. I can deal w/ rattles, squeaking stuff but not the engine.

Good luck w/ your new engine.
  • I wonder is law requires owners to divulge any known problems with their car to potential buyers, much like when selling a home? I don't think there is any such law, but I must admit I would feel guilty selling such a car unless it was to an Acura dealer!
  • That answer you got, being the first one they have replaced, was the same I got when my 99 broke down. If you do some research you will see where Honda's were having similar transmission issues in the prelude as early as 97. When I bought my 03 TL the dealership assured me that the problem had been "fixed".
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    You're legally obligated to disclose accident repairs over a certain $ threshold, but as for known problems, I think it's buyer beware unless they ask specifically about a certain problem.

That's why if my car has a problem, I would rather trade in rather than sell privately, to avoid the legal, as well as moral issues. Not to mention the possibility of a disgruntled buyer coming back to beat the crap out of you!
    When i purchased my 04 i was also told that the transmission issues had been corrected.

Does anyone see a pattern..here
  • What really makes me angry is how, in June 2004, Honda says that the problem was restricted to a small percentage of its automobiles and that they are doing the recall "acting out of an abundance of caution". They also claim at this time that they have found only one confirmed instance of a transmission failure related to this defect in its passenger cars. Honda still continues to deny that this is a real problem, and that nobody's safety is at issue.

This becomes a real safety issue when your transmission decides to shift into second gear when you are traveling 65 mph on the highway, causing you to very quickly slow down to 30 mph with no break lights while in heavy rush hour traffic. I was just about rear ended. Some owners have had accidents because of this defect, and they have pursued legal action on their own.
  • The temp display on my '05 TL/Nav had the same problem about 2 months after I got it. I took it in to the dealer, and now it's been in the shop for 2 days. They had to order the part, and when they got it, turned out to be a bigger part and more involved than anticipated. I believed they said they had to remove the entire instrument panel. Hope this is not a sign of things to come. Will let you know how this turns out after I get the car back.
  • Hi- anyone out there who lives in Northern VA.-please advise me. I am in need of a good auto body repair shop!

Last night,I was pulling out of a parking space in my condo development (trying to avoid the melting snowbank and sign) and hit a fire hydrant! The driver's side rear bumper is dimpled and punctured(the size of a melon)and the headlight above it is cracked, but no metal body damage is done. Basicallly I have to replace the bumper and have it painted, with the rear light replaced. I cringe everytime I look at it. I am new to the area and trying to find an autobody shop that will make it look like new!! Pohanka says they have a collision center, but I'm not sure about them, as I bought my car out of town. If anyone can recommend a good place for me to go, that does a good job on Acura's- I'd really appreciate your advice-especially looking for paint to match the car-white diamond parchment. Thanks for any advice you can give me.
  • tom gtom g Posts: 1
    If you can get to Warrenton, I highly recommend Waterloo Motors. I found them after doing research with a bunch of mechanics and dealership body shop guys who would not touch a big restoration job. They just restored my '88 Landcruiser to like new condition. You can tell a lot from the cars in process & they do everything from exotics to F-150s. Not the cheapest but the best. It is a hike from the DC area but worth it.
  • Just (last night) drove new (2-day old) TL w/ 6-speed and michelin stock tires in Massachusetts snow. My suggested answer to the question, "Do I need snow tires?" is a most emphatic YES. In conditions that were not severe (2 inches of snow, albeit very wet snow), not only did not make it up a relatively short but somewhat steep incline, but after forward motion stopped, actually slid backwards 30 feet (stopped short of trees, thankfully). Never experienced this before, at this place or otherwise. Also, have much experience with this particular incline in all types of snow with other cars equipped with snow tires; specifically, no problems in 1988 Volvo 240 (RWD) with four snows. So, IMO, I need snow tires. Problem here is not finding and paying for the tires but finding and paying for the wheels, particularly for the 6-speed with those front brakes. Today, with snow still on the roads from what I can see, I will be driving the old Volvo.
    To maldorf:

I was not aware of this problem...

I was told that there was a lubrication problem and they were going to add an oil jet to the second gear.

Are you saying that the (04-TL) car transmission goes from 5th gear to 2nd gear by it self?

Is this wide spread?

Thanks,
  • I cannot say for certain that the 04 has the downshifting problem. The transmission seems to have several different issues with it. I have seen postings by people claiming they have had transmissions replaced in their 04's but I cannot recall what went wrong in these cases. The 99 TL that I leased downshifted from 4th gear down to 2nd on its own when it died (was a 4 speed tranny back then).

I found some info on the model years 00-02, but this info is now obsolete. Honda is doing a good job of keeping this all low key. Here is what i found, a list of the problems:

1. Erratic shifting, flare at upshifts, wont move (5/02)

2. The roughness of the third gear clutch steel plates is prematurely wearing the third clutch disks in production and requires a remanufactured transmission

3. ATF leak at axle seals, roaring noise, erratic shifting (5/02)

4. An ATF leak at the axle seals, a roaring noise or erratic shifting can be caused by wear [cut-off in scan], which requires transmission replacement. When the differential carrier bearing get d [cut-off in scan].

5. ATF Leak – If the differential carrier moves around, the axles can exceed the range [cut-off].

6. Erratic shifting – Contamination from the damaged differential carrier bearings can [cut-off] lock-up valves. A common DTC that accompanies damaged differential bearings is [cut-off] system).

7. Transmission noise – Worn bearings allow the differential carrier to move and cause [cut-off] carrier-bearing contact. This often causes noise that has been described as roaring.
  • I cannot say for certain that the 04 has the downshifting problem. The transmission seems to have several different issues with it. I have seen postings by people claiming they have had transmissions replaced in their 04's but I cannot recall what went wrong in these cases. The 99 TL that I leased downshifted from 4th gear down to 2nd on its own when it died (was a 4 speed tranny back then).

I found some info on the model years 00-02, but this info is now obsolete. Honda is doing a good job of keeping this all low key. Here is what i found, a list of the problems:

1 Erratic shifting, flare at upshifts, wont move.

2. The roughness of the third gear clutch steel plates is prematurely wearing the third clutch disks in production and requires a remanufactured transmission.

3. ATF leak at axle seals, roaring noise, erratic shifting (5/02)

4. An ATF leak at the axle seals, a roaring noise or erratic shifting can be caused by wear [cut-off in scan], which requires transmission replacement. When the differential carrier bearing get d [cut-off in scan].

5. ATF Leak – If the differential carrier moves around, the axles can exceed the range [cut-off].

6. Erratic shifting – Contamination from the damaged differential carrier bearings can [cut-off] lock-up valves. A common DTC that accompanies damaged differential bearings is [cut-off] system).

7. Transmission noise – Worn bearings allow the differential carrier to move and cause [cut-off] carrier-bearing contact. This often causes noise that has been described as roaring.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 3,258
    Hello, Rufust:

Similar deal with my TL/Auto/Bridgestone EL42 tires. So far the TC/VSA/ABS have kept me going but I've been very disappointed in the (lack of) snow traction of these all-seasons. I guess they're really three seasons!

I haven't slid like you have (glad no damage to car or driver), but I imagine the Michelin's on the 6MT are summer tires? (not all season's), which are a disaster in the snow.

Good luck, you can use the tirerack.com to research snows/wheel packages.

Where'd you buy your TL? Acura of Boston or Clair?

'13 Jaguar XF, possibly my favorite of all the cars I've owned. But, my '09 Jag XK was a beauty, as was my '05 Acura TL, '88 Acura Integra, '84 Mitsubishi Mirage Turbo & '78 VW Scirocco (my first!). And, of course, the '92 Nissan Sentra SE-R and '95 Saab 900s I bought for the ex... Ok, I like a lot of the cars in my life.

• Laurasdada,

Thanks for the reply. They are all season tires, not summer tires. I have checked out tirerack.com and acura of canada websites. Both have alternatives, none of which is cheap (given the cost of alloy wheels, but I will probably just have to do it).

One alternative suggested by my salesperson (Acura of Auburn; his initials are RV, best car salesperson I have ever dealt with) is to find a 16" steel wheel that would fit. The steel would be better for the bumps of winter and cheaper, while the 16" size would enable me to use a higher and narrower (as opposed to wider and low profile) snow tire for the car, which is supposed to provide better snow traction. Do not know whether I could find such a wheel and, if it would fit over those brembo brakes on the MT.

Will let you know.