Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently switched from a luxury sedan to a luxury SUV?
A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] by 7/25 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Won't start, seems electrical

gi4usa1gi4usa1 Posts: 3
edited October 2015 in Dodge
My son owns a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2L. He turned it off last night and this morning it had no electrical power. The battery and alternator were recently replaced so I didn't suspect them. When I looked at it it had no power, no lights, radio, nothing. I thought maybe the cable connections were dirty. I cleaned them and we had power. As soon as we tried to start the car, it clicked and we once again had no power. Any Ideas???

Comments

• The battery an the alternator were replaced not the starter. Typo
  • steverstever Posts: 52,462
    Typo fixed. :)

You may want to check the connections at the "firewall" side of the battery cables and do a load test of the battery, even though it's new. Actually, you may want to recheck all the battery connections. Sure sounds like a dead battery.
  • I have checked the connections. I can disconnect and reconnect the cables and I have power. The lights work and the door buzzer works. As soon as I turn the key I loose everything. I am leaning toward the ignition switch.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,490
    No I also think it's battery related or connection related. One thing a detective has to know is not to assume anything, even a new part out of the box being good. Test everything and go to the most likely cause rather than an outlying cause.
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Posts: 5,026
    gi4usa1 do you have a volt meter?
  • replace your battery cables they have a problem with corroding inside the terminals