Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Transmisson kicking hard when it's shifting

yellowboboyellowbobo Member Posts: 2
edited October 2015 in Buick
I bought a 2005 Buick LeSabre Custom on 10/07/2015 with 151,189 on it the only problem it had when I bought it the ABS light was on so before I start my journey with the car I stop in Action Auto Part to get a read on the car it said it was a tire sensor no problem I start my journey from New Hampshire to Rhode Island now that's just over 111 miles on the way down no problem with the car Transmission was shifting great so forth. Now fast forward on the 11th i had it tune up brake job, rotors done, oil change and spark plugs ABS lights still on didn't do that yet on the 16 I feel the transmission kicking hard when it's shifting when I start it and go it shift find but when it warm up it starts kicking hard no check engine lights came on to indicate anything wrong with the car by the way. Take it to a transmission shop today to get a diagnostic check he said the the transmission need to be change they say a have a code that register but would not have bring on the check engine light I'm iffy about it cause he did not show me the code and it is gonna cost me $1800 bucks. My question is can it be something else?

Best Answers

Answers

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Without a code it's hard to say what's going on. Sounds like you need a second opinion. Any reputable shop would explain to you in detail why you "need a new transmission". You'd best keep looking around.
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,737

Take it to a transmission shop today to get a diagnostic check he said the the transmission need to be change they say a have a code that register but would not have bring on the check engine light I'm iffy about it cause he did not show me the code and it is gonna cost me $1800 bucks. My question is can it be something else?

I'm going to guess that it was a free diagnostic check. If I'm right it looks like you got what you paid for.

• yellowboboyellowbobo Member Posts: 2
    I haven't change the trans fluid yet.....
  • rockyplacerockyplace Member Posts: 2
    Last February (2015), I had a problem of hard shifting in all gears and the hard shifting was related to a problem that resulted in lowered viscosity of the transmission fluid. It was caused by leaking heater-hose elbows and low antifreeze causing higher than normal engine temperatures. I'm not suggesting that your problem is the same as mine was last year, but I am curious as to your engine's temperature. If you would please. . ..
  • veredeneveredene Member Posts: 2
    I had a shifting problem on my 2004 and one mechanic told me it was a sensor inside the tranny and changing it would cost $600. Took it to a mechanic that has a shop about two blocks from home and he said no to the sensor. He took a small black cap (2 screws) off something under the hood and blew it out with air. Didn't have the shifting problem again for about a year and he did the same thing again. I'm not a mechanic so I don't know what it was that he cleaned but he said something about air control. Anyone know what it was that he cleaned?
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,122
    Mass air flow sensor. It has two fine wires that are heated by electrical current and are cooled by the airflow over them. The cooling changes the resistance of the wires and the computer can infer the rate of air flow from the change in current flow.

If the shifting problem is a hard shift in all gears, it' like the pressure control module inside the transmission that doesn't control the fluid pressure correctly. The transmission computer puts it into default mode which shifts firmly to prevent any slippage. This resets when the engine is turned off for a minute or so. It may not repeat until the trans fluid is hot enough that the pressure control module loses the ability to control the flow into the shift accumulator to control the application rate of the clutches as the transmission shifts, and transmission goes back into default mode.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,