Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Prius

Comments

• Options
    gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I have found the Google Toolbar the most effective pop-up blocker and it is free. Just type in toolbar on Google. It keeps track of how many you get also. You need to run Spybot or Ad-aware also free. They will clear a lot on garbage that slows you down... Good luck
  • Options
    falcononefalconone Member Posts: 1,726
    Gary.. I use that too and I NEVER EVER get a popup. If you use Netscape ver 7.1 or higher it has a popup blocker built in.
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    We don't have pop-ups AT ALL in the Forums...so if you are getting them here, you have spyware on your machine. The only place on the site there are pop-ups are in the New Vehicle pages (one of them you get a dealer locator pop-up), but I'm pretty sure that's it. More questions on this, etc. = go to the "Our Software Your Questions Answered" discussion.

Thanks!
  • Options
    ragueroraguero Member Posts: 60
    Arnold signed the bill allowing hybrids that get more than 45 mpg into the HOV lanes with one occupant. The law should take effect Jan. 1 pending US DOT approval.
  • Options
    jofam1jofam1 Member Posts: 21
    Hi, thanks to all the glowing reviews of the car by all the very informative people here, I finally got myself a Prius 2005. The familiar next question here : how about the Toyota Platinum Extended Warranty? I have seen some previous posts about the price of $980 or so for 7 years, 100,000 miles, no deductible. Can someone post the dealership selling them at that price?. In the Bay Area, I have just been offered $1350 for 7/100,000 with $50 deductible. Does anyone know of any dealership in the Bay Area, CA selling them for around $1000?

I also was offered $1000 for all scheduled maintenance through 55,000 miles (which can be performed at any Toyota dealership in the country). What do you think ? Don't they cost about $200-$300 each time you go in for the 15,000, 30,000 and 45,000 miles check up?

How about interior protection for $300? Considering that it cost $318 to buy a set of seat covers from Toyota for the Prius?

Thank again for any info out there on any dealership selling Platinum warranties ?
  • Options
    Save your money and don't buy the extras. The extended warranty is a good buy @ $980 but you can do that at any dealer that sells it at that price. You don't have to buy it at a dealer near your home. I think priusonline.com has a sponsor that is selling those warranties at that price. Check it out.
  • Options
    cejcej Member Posts: 3
    Thanks, Dennis. Do you know if after you have jumped the auxillary batter whether it will then recharge itself as you drive or should you use a trickle charger to be on the safe side?

Ed
  • Options
    Thank you very much for the reply. I checked out your info and found a dealer in MA that sells them for that price. I will contact them for details. Thanks for the info. (You don't think buying maintenance service in advance is worth it?)
  • Options
    usbseawolf2000usbseawolf2000 Member Posts: 759
    It will then recharge itself from HV battery(NiMH). Keep in mind that every time you drain that 12V lead-acid battery, it can never recharge back to original capacitiy(fullness). Every time it happens it can cut the capacity to half. The winter is coming soon, I might replace it if that happened to me a couple of time already.

Dennis
  • Options
    mfullmermfullmer Member Posts: 773
    Edmunds doesn't have pop-blocks. You have spyware that has taken over your machine. I would try SpyBot and then HiJack This! to get rid of them. If you have XP you can also download and install the SP2 upgrade and it has a great pop-up blocker. I've had the upgrade for about a month now and have had not one problem with it. I use the google toolbar at work with much success also.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Prepaid maint is really a waste. Just get the oil changed at 5000 miles and you'll be fine. Not much has to be done until 105,000 miles. Definitely not worth the money.
  • Options
    Just got a Prius in San Jose. MSRP. Wait is about 3 months, but purchase is pretty straightforward. Finance person wants to sell you the usual stuff: extended warranty ($1300 for 7/100,000/0ded), prepaid maintenance coupons ($895 for all scheduled maintenance for 4 years/55,000 miles; and "touch of class" protection for exterior and interior ($498).
  • Options
    railroadjamesrailroadjames Member Posts: 560
    I'm curious as to what colors are the most popular in the PRIUS line-up. We purchased our blue sight unseen having only seen the color chip in the brochure. Really glad we waited for it. Now we see it more often in all the adds and think that it is by far one of the better looking of all the colors we've seen.
    p.s. of course there is no bad colored PRIUS right? j.c.
  • Options
    I really like the Salsa Red and I have to say that the Tideland Pearl is the most classiest color this, somewhat, smallish car.
  • Options
    rpgolferrpgolfer Member Posts: 157
    I agree with Mike, the Salsa Red Pearl is really attractive. Like most everyone else, I didn't have a color choice...you get what you get. I got the Driftwood Pearl (gold) and the only reason I wish I had another color is that my wife's car (LeSabre) is almost the same color! The Tideland Pearl (blue) is also an eye-catcher.
    Thanks,
    Rich
  • Options
    Actually the Tideland Pearl is the grayish green color (I think it is very classy). The blue is the Seaside Pearl, which I also like.
  • Options
    I just have a general question on trade-ins. If you agree on a trade-in price of $5000 and the purchase price of a new car of $20,0000, do you pay sales tax on the entire $20,000 or just on $15,000 (your actual out-of-pocket amount)? Thank you.
  • Options
    stan1stan1 Member Posts: 3
    I wish they would just say red...green...blue...tan...white...etc. Save me a lot of confusion. :)
  • Options
    stan1stan1 Member Posts: 3
    Can anyone tell me where I can get Toyota Platinum no deductable extended warranty for $980?
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    In Minnesota, you pay sales tax on the difference--one of the advantages of trading in a car. You can check with the Department of Revenue in your state to see what their policy is--if they have a web site, there is probably something about it there.
  • Options
    It is confusing, yes, and they could use "black" when they mean black, but there are different shades of red, blue, green etc. so I can see why they have the creative names. Like on Tideland Pearl, it can look medium grey or medium green depending on the light. So what do you call it? Grey? Green? Or something in between?
  • Options
    Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately in California, my quick research into the website of the Board of Equalization appears to require the sales tax to be charged on the full amount of the value of the new car. If anyone knows differently, please advise.
  • Options
    That is one of the ways to double tax in CA. They will charge the person they sell your used vehicle to, more tax. Another good reason to keep a car till it is all used up.
  • Options
    jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ...I was surprised to find that lots of states only levy the tax on the difference between your trade and the new car.

In California [and for that matter, Washington state, where we now reside], the sales tax applies to the gross price of the new [or used] car you're buying. What you sell your current car for is irrelevant to the state - when it is resold, they collect full tax on that transaction, as well.

Here in Washington, the sales tax is the primary source of revenue [no income tax].
  • Options
    awesomeawesome Member Posts: 2
    Just a question. Most people is buying a Prius for the economic consideration. It is a well designed and reliable car. Yet, with a $2,000 to $3,000 premium(or market adjustment..or what ever crap they call out there) they want on top of MSRP, is it still worth buying? Let see a Prius with Pack 9(the one with every option) will put the car close to $27,000 MSRP. Add a $3,000 on it, and it's $30,000. I think there are better choices out there for a $30,000 car.

I would just buy a Corolla and carry my extra $13,000 to $15,000 cash to the bank(and I can get leather in the Corolla! and most of the extral equipment on the aftermarket...HID, Navigation).
  • Options
    Most people is buying a Prius for the economic consideration.

I don't think that is true in general, as your own situation points out. But not everyone is paying $30k for the Prius. For example, there are many people (like people in my town) who have bought Priuses for MSRP or under, and at around $22k the Prius can make economic sense for those who drive a lot and whose alternative is a mid-sized or larger car, or SUV or minivan. Every buyer needs to calculate the financial picuture based on his/her own situation and local market conditions, and not rely on generalizations and what people thousands of miles away are doing.
  • Options
    midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    Okay ,sorry I thought I responded. I own two Lexuses and one Toyota. One of the Lexuses I own is an IS300 5-speed with Alcantara leather. I have test drivien a Prius and the interior, IN MY OPINION was not the same quality or feel as the actual Alcantra in the Lexus IS300.

You opinion is different and you have a right to it also.

YMMV,

MidCow

P.S.- All that being said the Prius still intrigues me and it it had a little more power , a little better handling and could be had with a manual transmission as an option I would defintely consider it!
  • Options
    I get what you are saying MidCow. I think where this all got off track was the original post commented on Prius being NEAR Lexus in quality and feel.

I think that is a fair analysis. Whether or not you like the fabric of the Prius, it feels nicer than most vehicles, certainly nicer than most $20k vehicles. Personally, I like leather better but that's just me.
  • Options
    How do you all feel about the quality of the Prius radio? I usually set the volume up to about 26-28 for most applications. Understand that I have a slight hearing loss (30 yrs in an oil refinery and over 50 yrs in age). It just seems to me that the tonal quality could be better. I've got the settings in the neutral positions. Any comments/suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Rich
  • Options
    ragueroraguero Member Posts: 60
    I think the radio sounded ok but as RP mentions, only at higher volumns. I usually listened to mine at 40 or so (has anyone taken it up much further, I had it at 50 one time). I recently installed some nice Infinity speakers in the back doors. This really seems to help the overall tonal quality. I only have the standard stereo in my Prius. From what I've read, the front door speakers are for bass response, the back door speakers were full range and then the two tweeters in the door frames. I've toyed with the idea of adding a nice amp and subwoofer but just haven't plunked down the $1000 or so my local hi-fi shop wants for the job. I'd be interested to hear what others have done too. - Rick
  • Options
    midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    Edmunds rates the the stereo as only OK (see below). Most people who are not audiophiles will find the radio acceptable. One quick way to improve the sound quality for only a couple of hundred dollars is to buy upgraded speakers. However, because the radio is so integrated into the multi-function dispaly, this is about the only improvement you can make :(

YTMMV,

MidCow

=============================================

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2004/toyota/prius/100326481/roadtestar- - ticle.html?articleId=100988&editorialpage=page002

Full Test: 2004 Toyota Prius
    Stereo Evaluation

MORE ABOUT THIS VEHICLE
    • Road Test • Specifications and Performance
    • Stereo Evaluation • Second Opinions

By Philip Reed
    Date posted: 12-04-2003

System Score: 7.0

Components: Our tester was equipped with the optional JBL sound system, which gives you a six-disc CD changer and nine speakers. Most of the functions must be accessed through the center touchscreen menu, but there is a round volume knob and AM/FM/tape/CD buttons that do not require going into the touchscreen menu. Most of those features are also duplicated on the steering wheel. Although it requires pushing a conventional button, the center-mounted screen, and then a touchscreen button on the audio page, there are a good number of adjustments available. Thankfully, a midrange adjustment is included.

There are lighted indicators for the six CDs the changer can hold and those numbers, with corresponding lights, are displayed on the dash and separate from the main menu screen. This is bit confusing because they look like radio station presets or CD changer selectors, but really they're just letting you know a CD is already occupying a certain disc position. Also, the power switch is somewhat confusing. For some reason, the volume knob can be depressed, but that does not turn the stereo on or off. Just below the volume knob is a separate "PWR" switch. It's not very intuitive.

Performance: The JBL system sounds OK, but not great. The speakers are simply overwhelmed, resulting in a somewhat muddy-sounding stereo. Dropping the midrange and bumping the treble up two or three clicks really improves the sound quality. Unfortunately, the side effect is that highs will sometimes sound shrill or squeak as the volume is raised. Bass reproduction is fine; in fact if anything, the system is too bass-heavy — a complaint that seems valid on many factory audio systems.

Best Feature: Bass reproduction.

Worst Feature: Lack of physical buttons to control radio presets and CD changer.

Conclusion: An OK system considering the price of the car. Frankly, I doubt anyone is buying a Prius because it has a killer sound system. But should you want to listen to music while not wasting precious resources, the optional JBL stereo is perfect for everyday use by non-audiophiles.
  • Options
    I don't know how similar it is but I have the JBL system in my Solara and I find it sounds nice. I can even listen well at 22 with the top down on the freeway. Of course, I'm usually listening to news or my limited music and I'm not much of an audiophile.
  • Options
    tim_hooligantim_hooligan Member Posts: 143
    Along the lines of games, lies, and corruption...

I was dealing with Lustine Toyota in getting a Prius. Was informed that I could choose delivery of an '05 Prius coming in a couple weeks. Price was sticker. Thought it was too easy!

Now the caveat: Was informed that you have to pay a PDI (i'm sure the first letter stands for PROFIT) of $690 and documentation of $299. Personally, I find that a bit suspect. They are claiming to sell for MSRP, but then trying to add these big fees on at the end. I'm sure most people don't notice it until signing the paperwork. It's just amazing how shifty car dealers are. Granted, this car is amazing and demand is crushing, but the dealers are just being greedy. Not that I blame them...

Unfortunately, looks like I'm going to have to find Car B. This is such a hassle, and I will NOT pay over MSRP for any car. In 2-3 years, we'll have plenty of hybrid choices.

Everyone else: buyer beware! be sure to ask for the DELIVERED PRICE in negotiations!
  • Options
    little_pogilittle_pogi Member Posts: 149
    My sister's asked me to help her find a new Prius. I went to 2 SoCal dealership today just to see what they have to offer.
    Dealer A was offering MSRP but with a wait time of 1 year. The 2005 models hasn't arrived yet and if I ordered one today, that's for a 2006 model.
    Dealer B have a previous demo available and their asking price was $29,000 for a pkg. 8 with 2,700 mi on the car. They said they normally add a $5k mark-up on a brand new one. I also saw a 2001 model for sale, the asking price was $18k with a 22k mileage on it.

The Prius pricing mania have just become absolutely ridiculous. I'm sure a lot of people will find paying MSRP plus $690 PDI and $299 documentation a bargain nowadays. Certain experts predicted last Decemeber that the 2004 Prius demand will subside and pricing will be under MSRP. When? After a year, it just got worst.
  • Options
    There are a number of factors working against you here:
    1) SoCal is possibly the area where hybrids like the Prius are most popular
    2) Production has gone up somewhat, but not nearly enough to meet demand and the next production boost isn't until next year
    3) No new hybrid models except a few Escapes are available to take care of some demand. The Accord arrives late this year, but it's not until next year that there will be several other choices (including HAH, Highlander, RX400h).
    4) Congress just re-upped the tax deduction
    5) Price of oil is at an all-time high, and gas prices continue to be high.
  • Options
    California is not a great place to buy a new car. I have not been able to buy a new car there for over 25 years. I always end up in another state to get a decent price. Many dealers are selling new ones on eBay for under MSRP. Prices are coming down as people get over the "gotta have it" syndrome. Check eBay for actual prices being paid.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&cate- gory=43925&item=2491867707&rd=1
  • Options
    xcelxcel Member Posts: 1,025
    Hi All:

___A certain new Green Hybrid forum member picked his 04 Prius II up with no wait at MSRP from Gallup Amigo Toyota in Gallup, NM. I hope this helped those that are looking … Don’t just look in your own locale and look in those areas that are a bit off the beaten track. Gallup, NM sounds about as far off the beaten track as you can get ;-)

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
  • Options
    "Gallup, NM sounds about as far off the beaten track as you can get ;-)"

I like the idea of using the Internet to find a car then a trip to pick it up and make a mini vacation in a new car.... Your almost guaranteed to save enough for the trip. Many dealers are not as greedy as others.
  • Options
    PDI - Pre-Delivery Inspection. But in this case it means $690 Profit Does Intensify. The pre-delivery inspection is a service that the dealership does to get the car ready to go from the truck to the consumer. This includes taking off the packing materials, washing, topping off, etc. THE DEALER GETS PAID BY THE MANUFACTURER FOR THIS SERVICE, it is by no means a cost to them. Average time for this inspection is 40-45 minutes but they get paid for 1.5 hrs. labor. So not only are they covered for the service by the manufacturer they are getting an extra $690 from you. Call 'em on it just to let them know you know.

Try doing a google search for them. Many complaints.
  • Options
    That's right: call them on it. If PDI really does mean "pre-delivery inspection", I've seen this trick before (many years ago) and there is an easy way around it. Just point out the statement on the window sticker that says "MSRP includes pre-delivery service" or words to that effect. Then they will say they do "special" pre-deliver service (at least that's what one dealer said to me). My response is, "That's nice, but the manufacturer's recommended pre-delivery service is fine with me." The car looked OK to me when it was delivered.
  • Options
    kornklankornklan Member Posts: 29
    Effective today Oct. 1, 2004 and prior to Oct. 1, 2008 the sale of any passenger car utilizing Hybrid technology that has a US Environmental Protection Agency estimated highway mileage rating of at least 40 MPG is exempt from Connecticut sales or use tax. Now is the time for all of you out there in Conn. waiting for delivery of your 2005 Prius to contact your dealer to pressure Toyota to deliver more cars to Conn. instead of the lions share of their production going to California.
  • Options
    jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    While it's well-known that Toyota is planning a production increase for the Prius, it's been hard to get numbers with any precision. Several news sources have put out today an announcement that Toyota has committed to 100,000 Prius for the North American market in 2005. If true, this should go a long way toward finally bringing supply and demand into some balance, with positive effects for all concerned. [This effectively doubles the number of cars originally targeted for our market.]
  • Options
    Hi gang,
       Just read in today's newspaper that Toyota is slated to deliver 100,000 Priuses to North America in 2005 to meet demands. I also recently read that Toyota is going to make Priuses in China to help with production. Is it true that the '05s are basically the most popular packages from '04? Are there any upgrades or changes to the better?
    Thanks,
    Rich
  • Options
    frankie33frankie33 Member Posts: 28
    Does anyone know the reason for Toyota's decision not to have daytime running lights installed on the 2005 Prius, delivered in this country, but they are on the cars delivered to Canada?
  • Options
    It's the law in Canada to have all car sold there equiped with DRL. Put that feature here in US models, that's another $300 added to MSPR.
  • Options
    "that's another $300 added to MSPR."

Why would it cost $300 to add DRL? They are standard on all GM vehicles since the early 1990s. DCC can add them with a quick firmware change to the onboard computer. I think some states require DRLs. I know they are mandatory where I work in Alaska.
  • Options
    tempusvntempusvn Member Posts: 119
    HID Headlights are an option in the US, but are not available in Canada.

Canada apparently requires DRL, and since HID headlights cannot be run at reduced power, they are not compatible with DRL. Thus, there is no HID Headlight Option in Canada.

Presumably, it would be confusing to offer DRL on some cars (Halogen Lights) in the US and not on other cars (HID Lights), so they just left the option off.

The incremental cost of adding DRL to a US car would be negligible, and certainly less than the HID light option.

If you're in the US and you want the effect of DRL, you can always just leave your lights on all the time. They will turn off when you turn the car off.

However, they'll be running at full power instead of the reduced DRL power.
  • Options
    bobbrown1bobbrown1 Member Posts: 22
    Thanks for that detailed explanation. Leaving lights on at full power would use more fuel. I believe DRL use the high beam at reduced power so that they effectively become noticeable to approaching vehicles early, yet they won't be blinding to the other drivers.
    There must be some way to have HID and DRL. What do they do with luxury vehicles in Canada? Surely they have both?
  • Options
    dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    thats true, or GM would take them off of all their cars/trucks and save many millions of $ and not even lower the price of the vehicle to reflect the cost.
  • Options
    A technically competent individual can add DRL to any US halogen type Prius. You may need to purchase 3 relays, 2 fuses, relay housing, connectors, pins to tap into the ECU (DRL signal) and some wires. You also need to purchase the Toyota Wiring manual and the Repair manual to guide you in the proper identification and installation of these parts. Total cost for materials alone is over $300 excluding labor charges. It may take a day or two to complete the project. Plus, there is also that chance of voiding the warranty on the car.